logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Horwich Ender  
#1 Posted : 25 August 2011 17:21:25(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good afternoon.

I have been perusing the Photo Album in Well Known Norm's Local History Site which has now become an excellent place for photo's relating to Whaley Bridge.

I was delighted to see we have more than forty photo's of Public Houses (with more to add when Well Known Norm gets time to do so) and the majority of the other subject headings are populated with some great photo's. The one exception is “Churches.” There are currently only eight photo's in this section and three of these relate to the Taxal Church Bells arriving in Whaley.

Off the top of my head I can think of at least ten current or former places of worship in Whaley and I am sure there are many historical photo's of these buildings out there.

I am hoping people will be kind enough to post historical photograph's of Whaley's Places of Worship on this thread to enable Well Known Norm to fill up the “ Churches” section in his Photo Album.

If people don't have the equipment to post photographs on this forum they can contact Chairman Jon or Well Known Norm and the details of how to do this are on the Local History Site.

Gnatalee  
#2 Posted : 25 August 2011 18:36:55(UTC)
Gnatalee

HE

Well done, I think that is an excellent suggestion.  Churches are a great part of the community and in the past were very much a focus of local life. I very much hope we can get some more photographs on the forum (and local history site - which, of course, is a credit to its creators and Whaley.   I, for one, will be very interested to see photographs of churches and hearing of their relevance to the community.

Gnats

Edited by user 25 August 2011 18:38:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 28 August 2011 10:37:03(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good morning HE,

I thought this topic was a bit ambitious on your part.
You start a thread about pubs and everybody joins in and adds stuff in great quantities.
It would seem to me people are far more interested in pubs than churches.

You must have noticed that when a church closes and is bought for domestic property not one word is said but should a pub close its doors there is panic on the streets almost.

So your pub thread is now marching on towards the magical 30,000 mark and your church topic has hardly got off the ground.

You did list the number of pubs you wanted to see, have you got a similar list of churches?

I do have a few churchy photos and I should be able to help out but my collection of churches reflects current attitudes meaning that I have a lot more pub photos than churches.

But I’ll see what I can dig out this coming week.

R. S-S

Edited by user 28 August 2011 11:23:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Horwich Ender  
#4 Posted : 28 August 2011 14:06:04(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon R. S-S.

I did anticipate we would receive a cooler response on a thread relating to churches than one involving pubs.

However, I am still confident there are historical photo's out there of every church, both current and former, in Whaley.

I previously stated I could think of a least ten places of worship in Whaley Bridge and there are probably more. I am hopeful we will be able to get the full set published on this forum to enable Well Known Norm to complete the “Churches” section of his Photo Album.

Edited by user 28 August 2011 14:28:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 29 August 2011 12:21:02(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good afternoon HE,

As it seems that there is a lack of interest in this thread and I can only imagine why. I will start the ball rolling with a photo that shows two churches and a bit of industry at the same time.
If this does not create a response we may as well give up.

R. S-S

Norm  
#6 Posted : 29 August 2011 12:37:20(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi all on a glorious Bank Holiday afternoon, I might even venture out and see the sites. The attached photograph is in the album under places, I think it should be renamed and put under churches, if I knew what to call it.

R.S-S, I presume that you are going to give some info on the picture you have posted sometime.

Norm

Norm attached the following image(s):
resent.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 29 August 2011 15:39:26(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Yes Norm it is cracking the flags here as well.

The photo I posted is of the Wesleyan Church as it says on the photo in the bottom left hand corner.

It is, of course, the Methodist Church and I would be interested to know what George makes of it.

The other Church is Christ Church to the top left hand side of the photo and behind the Wesleyan Church is the Gisborne Pit which provided heating from its Pit Boiler for the shivering Church goers of the day. The Pit charged one shilling per annum after firstly offering to move the Wesleyan school to another site.

In 1911 the pit was closed down.

Your photo of the building at the Reservoir Road entrance to the Memorial Park is The Masonic Hall. It is now converted into three private dwellings and I have a sneaky suspicion that you may know one of the inhabitants.

However, I do not want to get into too much discussion on the Masonic Hall as it tends to stir up RockBanker. Goodness knows what he will make of all this.

R. S-S
Norm  
#8 Posted : 29 August 2011 16:09:15(UTC)
Norm

Man

I have had to come inside due to running out of sun cream and with such a delicate complexion I burn easily.

I believe I am known to two of it's inhabitants i.e. two out of the three dwellings. I was under the impression that it was known as a congregational church, so maybe the place has more history than I know about. As you know I am no expert of Whaley history, in fact no expert at any history if it comes to that, so I may be well wrong.

Certainly nice to cool of inside now, I just love British holidays.

Norm

Edited by user 29 August 2011 16:42:01(UTC)  | Reason: Speeeeling

G. Jackson  
#9 Posted : 29 August 2011 16:57:53(UTC)
G. Jackson

I knew the vicar at the Congry very well. Here's one of his monthly blurbs.

File Attachment(s):
001.JPG (2,232kb) downloaded 112 time(s).
002.JPG (1,669kb) downloaded 88 time(s).
003.JPG (1,676kb) downloaded 78 time(s).
Horwich Ender  
#10 Posted : 29 August 2011 20:46:30(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening R. S-S.

Many thanks for posting your photo and getting the ball rolling.

I get the impression you are not very confident of this thread getting the same support as some of the other topics on this forum. Are you implying the good folk of Whaley aren't very religious?

We are well aware there is only one local councillor who plays a significant role on this forum which, of course, is our great leader Chairman Jon The Whaley One. JohnP makes the odd useful link to other web sites and Jean Horsfall-Brunt has made occasional contributions although she is no longer a councillor.

I still have no idea why the majority of our local councillors are reluctant to express their opinions and join in this greatly admired forum but I feel this topic may well encourage them to participate.

At least two of our non contributing councillors have strong connections to places of worship in Whaley Bridge. I believe Mayor of the High Peak, David Lomax lives in a former church and Cllr John Swift is very active and prominent in local church life. I am sure they will have, or will know people, who have many historical photo's of Whaley churches. Even if they don't have the technology to post photo's direct I see no reason why they can't lend them to Chairman Jon The Whaley One who will do his usual effective, if not always speedy, job and post them on this forum.

It's only four days since I started this thread but with your photo, and the one found by Well Known Norm, we have already increased the number of photo's in the “Churches” section of the Photo Album by 25%.

It took us nearly twelve months to get a full set of historical photographs of Whaley pubs, and I think it's far too early to throw in the towel and give up.

Have faith R. S-S.

Horwich Ender  
#11 Posted : 30 August 2011 21:08:57(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening Well Known Norm.

I am pleased to see you have now placed the photo of the Masonic Hall in the “Churches” section of your Photo Album.

Your description states “Congregational Church 1905 Thread 388” but I am not clear where Thread 388 is and how I access it.

Is there still a facility in the Photo Album to go directly to the thread in which the photograph was originally posted? 

Norm  
#12 Posted : 30 August 2011 22:29:18(UTC)
Norm

Man

H.E. You have hit on a slight failing of the new album. I have tried many ways to put a link from the photo to the thread, but all failed

So, if you look at the address bar of the thread you are looking at, hopefully at the moment it will be http://www.whaleybridge.net/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1059 In internet explorer it is the line below the blue top line on your screen and change the 1059 to 388 it will take you there.

I don't think it is a brilliant method and I am looking at how to change it. At least if I keep the thread numbers it may help when a better method is found. Hope you understand.

I hope these photos re pubs from R.S-S are brilliant, he has played them up a lot.

Norm

Edited by user 30 August 2011 22:40:13(UTC)  | Reason: Hopefully clearer

parabuild  
#13 Posted : 31 August 2011 14:41:42(UTC)
parabuild

Man

The following has been suggested to me as a solution :

Go to post #61 in the old Photo Library as an example as to how this can be achieved,

Norm  
#14 Posted : 31 August 2011 17:17:37(UTC)
Norm

Man

Thank you David, and the suggester, who ever he may be I cannot imagine.

If all I had to do was put a link in the description then all of us would be happy, but unfortunately the description is taken as text and would only either display #1 or the link but without the actual link working.  I think I may have to swot up a bit with my Java to cure it.

But ideas are always welcome.

Norm

Lady Madonna  
#15 Posted : 02 September 2011 01:43:02(UTC)
Lady Madonna

I had put a post on regarding the Congregational Church as shown in the great photo, don't know where it is now! however it refered to the Mr Vernon & his family who ran the Sunday School when I was a child also as a grown up I worked at the Masonic Hall. The Methodist Church used to put on fantastic pantomimes at Christmas in which the Winfields & Joan Swindells played a big part, Happy day's.
Lady M.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#16 Posted : 05 October 2011 16:09:15(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Horwich Ender,

I can stand back no longer and see you suffer in this dreadful manner.

You started the Pub thread which is the most successful on the forum and then followed it up with your Church thread which by comparison has bombed.

You should know full well that the people of Whaley are in the main hardened drinkers and as such great interest has been shown in the pub theme. This has yet to be enhanced by my, as yet, unseen photo of the Horwich End ale house which is due to make an appearance shortly but I have neglected the Goyt Valley thread so I really must return to that.

Places of worship are sadly not in the same league as pubs in this day and age but I do know for certain that there are hundreds of churchy photos knocking about.
How many weddings have there been for a start?
All these will have had photos taken outside. For instance I have one of my own mother and father’s wedding at Taxal and no, before you ask, I wasn’t there.
So I think you must, once again, put out an appeal in your own unique way to the public in general.

In the meantime here is a photo to get all Catholic readers going.

R. S-S

Once again, thanks Norm

Edited by user 06 October 2011 08:21:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#17 Posted : 05 October 2011 20:10:20(UTC)
Norm

Man

Photo from post 16

Norm attached the following image(s):
6214548466_35c7080d1c_z.jpg
Horwich Ender  
#18 Posted : 07 October 2011 20:03:57(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening R. S-S.

Thank you for posting the photo of the Sacred Heart Church.

Another one, of hopefully many more, for your Photo Album Well Known Norm.

I agree with you when you say there “are hundreds of churchy photos knocking about” and I hope that before too long they will find their way onto this forum.

For viewers and members who wish to contribute photos, the methods of how this can be done are contained in the Whaley Bridge Local History Site Link at the top of this page. 

george  
#19 Posted : 09 November 2011 16:25:52(UTC)
george

Lady Madonna posting no.15 you ask where did the Congregational Church go to. In the early 1980's it came together with what had been the Methodist Church and formed the Uniting Church.

I have just found some photos of Uniting Church before the re-building in 1985/6 which I am hoping to attach. 

File Attachment(s):
scan0001.jpg (422kb) downloaded 87 time(s).
george  
#20 Posted : 09 November 2011 16:42:18(UTC)
george

File Attachment(s):
scan0002.jpg (433kb) downloaded 77 time(s).