logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jake  
#21 Posted : 19 May 2009 18:39:36(UTC)

Groups: Guest

No not yet but I have started to get the brain cell thinking.

Jake
Frankie  
#22 Posted : 19 May 2009 18:52:58(UTC)
Frankie

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Dear Friend R.S.S

I started school at Horwich End mid 1946 when the war had finished so the air raid shelters were locked and out of bounds.I recall two shelters both situated in the girls playground. Not sure about use of any other shelters but possibly at the old gas works but tthat would be strange the gas works would be a target for enemy bombers.I am almost certain that the early warning siren which also turned out the firemen was situated on the roof of the Mechanics Institute before the New Fire Station was built and then on a tower in the station drill yard. The last time the siren was activated for a fire call was 5th September 19766, due to the retained firefighters being issued with personel alerters for call outs.During the time the siren was used for fire call outs it was tested weekly with a short blast., After the firefighters abandoned the siren it was taken over by the Civil Defence who also did a test every so often.

On your journey to the Jug & Spoon which route did you take through the new site through the middle or on the left hand side by Clover Chemicals which is on the extreme right of the perimeter.

I have not visited the Jug & Spoon for at least 10 years but have walked past the duck pond as often as today even. I agree, well overgrown and neglected but now not used as a water supply.Ed HALL'S relied on the water supply. As for the goat the water is more likely to turned off at the valve from the input of the river upstream.The monitor shed is owned by the water authorites and i suspect that is no longer in use due to not having to monitor the amount of water to be allocated.

Fedup  
#23 Posted : 19 May 2009 19:14:18(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Stumped, R.S-S, completely stumped! Go on, let us into the secret!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#24 Posted : 19 May 2009 19:43:05(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Well Frankie,

My congratulations to you for starting the most active thread seen on here for many a day; well done. This is what this forum is all about; talking about memories and events that we know about that other people might not. It is extremely kind of you to pass on your knowledge of the village and people viewing should be aware of that.

I did not know you had been for a walk down Taxal today. Are you mad or are you immune to rust? I could hardly see out of the window at times as the rain was coming in sideways.

Anyway I agree with you about the monitoring station and the goat; but what a dreadful shame that that part of the valley has fallen into such disrepair.

I would rather not reveal the route I took to see the Jug and Spoon.

The fire siren I believe was on the roof of the old Nat West Bank rather than the Mechanics Institute. Well let’s be honest you couldn’t have that going off when the Council was in full session. Think of our aged Councillor’s health.
It really should have not been down Whaley at all but the building that housed the ‘Green Goddess’ before we had a proper fire engine had a roof that was not strong enough to support it.
It was the building that featured in Gnatalee’s very first football photo; the Buxton Road Tea Rooms, previously The Iron Church and now a workshop for repairing scrap cars.
I don’t believe you would have been a fire-fighter when the engine was stationed there Frankie.

R. S-S

Frankie wrote:

Dear Friend R.S.S

I started school at Horwich End mid 1946 when the war had finished so the air raid shelters were locked and out of bounds.I recall two shelters both situated in the girls playground. Not sure about use of any other shelters but possibly at the old gas works but tthat would be strange the gas works would be a target for enemy bombers.I am almost certain that the early warning siren which also turned out the firemen was situated on the roof of the Mechanics Institute before the New Fire Station was built and then on a tower in the station drill yard. The last time the siren was activated for a fire call was 5th September 19766, due to the retained firefighters being issued with personel alerters for call outs.During the time the siren was used for fire call outs it was tested weekly with a short blast., After the firefighters abandoned the siren it was taken over by the Civil Defence who also did a test every so often.

On your journey to the Jug & Spoon which route did you take through the new site through the middle or on the left hand side by Clover Chemicals which is on the extreme right of the perimeter.

I have not visited the Jug & Spoon for at least 10 years but have walked past the duck pond as often as today even. I agree, well overgrown and neglected but now not used as a water supply.Ed HALL'S relied on the water supply. As for the goat the water is more likely to turned off at the valve from the input of the river upstream.The monitor shed is owned by the water authorites and i suspect that is no longer in use due to not having to monitor the amount of water to be allocated.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#25 Posted : 19 May 2009 19:46:50(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Fedup,

Nice to have you back fellow Stooge.

Frankie gave you a great clue to the Goyt Valley Goat. Re-read his post.

But for now I can say that I have seen a rat in a goat.

I think Jake will get it now.

R. S-S

Fedup wrote:
Stumped, R.S-S, completely stumped! Go on, let us into the secret!

Frankie  
#26 Posted : 19 May 2009 20:08:45(UTC)
Frankie

I have tried several time s to upload a futher photo of a class ot Horwich end school.Not done anything different from uploading the previous photos . I get a message saying exceeded time out. Anybody  got ideas.

Edited by user 19 May 2009 20:22:09(UTC)  | Reason: ERROR ON UPLOAD OF PHOTO

Jake  
#27 Posted : 19 May 2009 20:35:32(UTC)

Hi Frankie & R. S-S

I am no expert but I guess the number of bites that make up the picture is so large and it takes that long the system times out. I think you need to try and reduce the size of the picture. I think Jon Goldfinch may be able to help as he may have a scanner that can reduce the picture size, I don't know how R S-S contacts him but I think Jon has helped him upload pictures in the past.

The Goat I assume has to do with water, a dam wall or overflow channel, river ????? work in progress I think, scrap the dam wall idea.

Jake

Edited by user 19 May 2009 20:43:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#28 Posted : 19 May 2009 20:39:00(UTC)
Frankie

R.S.S

When I left for Taxal the weather was fine and the dog would have gone into a sulk had we not gone. I will definitely find the legal right of way through  Botany Buisness Park . The right of way was there when Brookes had the haulage yard why should things change.I will check on which I think is the route through. I seem to think it is on the extreme right of Clover Buildings anyway will do some research. Thank you for comments on topic like you state this is what the forum is all about sensible discussions with lots of interest. When I arrived back at home from Taxal the heavens opened.

Frankie  
#29 Posted : 19 May 2009 20:42:26(UTC)
Frankie

Thanks for the info Jake, that now figures due to the size of the photo.

Frankie

Gnatalee  
#30 Posted : 19 May 2009 21:00:23(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi

My two-pennyworth, for what that is worth, regarding the uploading of the photo - I had great difficulty in uploading the "Grandads" photo - tried numerous times - but eventually sussed out that it was the actual size of the file. I re-scanned it and it uploaded first time ! Have faith, you will get there in the end.

PS Jug and Spoon - have I heard this referred to in my past as a child? Is it somewhere higher up the Goyt Valley? Will check with Dad tomorrow.

Gnats
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#31 Posted : 19 May 2009 22:50:30(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A very good evening to you Gnatalee,

One thing is for sure: your Grandad Harry did not go to The Jug and Spoon for a drink or three.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#32 Posted : 20 May 2009 08:16:54(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good Morning Fedup,

Last night driving back from Chapel I saw a Goat in the field, when I looked again it had disappeared. I turned the corner and the same Goat was back but this time in the next field.

This morning I shall be paying a visit to The Goyt Valley Medical Practice and I just know I will see a Goat down there.

Now you must know, but answers on a postcard please to Jake at Jodrell Meadow.
I shall reveal all, so to speak, later this evening.

However, there is one thing that merits discussion, but not on the historical side of the forum, and that is the end of the King.

Can you start us off please Fedup; but keep your head down.

R. S-S
Jake  
#33 Posted : 20 May 2009 09:12:28(UTC)

A river ?

Frankie  
#34 Posted : 20 May 2009 12:37:34(UTC)
Frankie

Mrs Butterworth  & Miss Lucking classes 2&3 1952

Edited by user 20 May 2009 12:52:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
SWScan00002.bmp (1,193kb) downloaded 122 time(s).
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#35 Posted : 20 May 2009 16:14:39(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A very good afternoon to you Jake,

Well obviously the penny is never going to drop on the Goat.

As I said when I first introduced in my report to Frankie I did say that the spelling was not quite right.

The correct spelling is GOIT and the dictionary definition of a Goit is:  A small artificial channel carrying water. Usually used with respect to channels built to feed mills. Also known as a Goyt.

From here onwards I shall use the traditional Whaley spelling and pronunciation: GOAT.

The weir built up in the Goyt Valley many years ago had sluice gates and valves to divert water from the river into Taxal Duckpond via the Goat then it went through iron pipes at a lesser gradient than the river so when it reached Botany Works it was still high enough to be used at the works. There was also another Goat actually at The Botany to take extra water out of the river and into the mill pond or lodge.

Combs Reservoir was built specifically to top up the canal and of course they had to get the water from Combs to the Canal Basin; this they did by constructing a canal feeder otherwise known as a Goit (Goat). You can follow it to this day it has never changed. There is an overflow that takes surplus water back into the river opposite Potter’s Garage and you can see the water pouring out during heavy downpours.

Now why do we call it a Goat and not a Goit? Well the reason is quite simple really and I hope Frankie won’t mind me telling you. I know Frankie has said how well educated the school children were in his day and I am absolutely sure he is correct. But employees of the Botany did not all come from Horwich End Academy; they came from all around and some were not quite as bright as others. So the bosses at the Botany could not simply say to a group of workers: “Go and clean out the Goit.” For he might find he had lost half his workforce who would be up to their knees cleaning out the River Goyt as opposed to the Botany Goit.

Sorry Frankie but it had to be said.

By the way the air raid shelters: one was, as you said, in the gasworks yard close to the Gap Steps and the other was across the road from your school down past the new Mews houses and it could also be accessed from Botany Lodge Cottage.

I hope you are feeling well insulated today Jake.

R. S-S  

Jake  
#36 Posted : 20 May 2009 18:28:30(UTC)

Well thank you R S-S

I did say an over flow channel (which is generally man made) in an earlier reply but knew it had something to do with water. I also thought about the pipes in the field "the Scrap yard" but eventually choose the wrong answer I even Googled a dictionary but the spelling versions I used never included an "i" in the spelling. however your information is enlightening and very interesting as usual.

By the way Frankie another great photo.

I am now very well insulated today, how do you know about that you must have driven past some time this morning between 8.00am and about 10.30, quite incredible really.

Jake

Edited by user 20 May 2009 18:32:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#37 Posted : 20 May 2009 20:21:51(UTC)
Frankie

Jake. R.S.S.

R.S.S is correct regarding cleaning out the Goit at Botany Works, it is possible that the work force could have headed off to the Goyt Inn to clear them out of ale. The latest photo I had problems with I re scanned it at normal instead of fine which gave a somewhat lower quality but a least I got there.

Regarding the Botany air raid shelter I had forgotten about it. Very small for the size of the site.Think if Ihad been there during the war  I would probably have made my way to the White Horse cellars rather than be crushed in the rush at Botany.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#38 Posted : 20 May 2009 20:37:09(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Frankie,

Thank you once again for a fine response but I would urge caution when using the phrase: “during the war”.
We know that Rodney Trotter has appeared on here in the first of Gnatalee’s photos and we wouldn’t want anyone wandering around Horwich End looking for his Uncle Albert would we?

R.S-S

Frankie wrote:

Jake. R.S.S.

R.S.S is correct regarding cleaning out the Goit at Botany Works, it is possible that the work force could have headed off to the Goyt Inn to clear them out of ale. The latest photo I had problems with I re scanned it at normal instead of fine which gave a somewhat lower quality but a least I got there.

Regarding the Botany air raid shelter I had forgotten about it. Very small for the size of the site.Think if Ihad been there during the war  I would probably have made my way to the White Horse cellars rather than be crushed in the rush at Botany.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#39 Posted : 26 May 2009 19:44:18(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Frankie,

I spotted you yesterday when you were out with your faithful hound. It was about 2.00pm but I couldn’t stop because of the volume of the traffic.

One thing I forgot to ask you about during your time at the Botany was if you had your own personal ‘Billy Can’. Most employees had them and they are now something of a collector’s item.
I remember one day coming across Tommy Lomas’ white pint pot on the Kier platform in Germany; except it wasn’t white, well the inside of it wasn’t at any rate, it was dark brown.
Thinking that Tommy was such a busy man and pushed for time boiling cotton and what have you I thought, being my usual helpful sole, would do him a favour and clean it for him.
First I bleached it and then I scrubbed it with sand and finally I filled it with water and opened a steam pipe into it. The result was a brand new, pristine, white pint tea mug.

I proudly presented it to Tommy at brew time. I can still here the dreadful bad language that came my way from Tommy followed by:
“It’s taken me ten years to get it to that condition. It’s no use now.”

I can’t remember but I think he took it home and buried it in his garden for a few weeks so that some of the character would return.

R. S-S
Frankie  
#40 Posted : 26 May 2009 20:24:04(UTC)
Frankie

Hello R.S.S         I did just catch sight of you yesterday and like you say the road was very busy with traffic.

Tommy Lomas as you know was a great character I was invited to sup with him as he used to call it on a few occasions. After brewing  the tea in the famous brew can  it would stand on a hot kier lid all the shift. As the steam rose from the pressure vessel carrying with it  caustic soda into the roof space then condensing and dripping into Tommys brew. I often saw him with his false teeth, bleaching in the same can. I remember him once doing a yearly stock take,in particular account of bale wires, The wires were stacked in rather large bundles on racks, Tom looked at the wires looked at the stock sheet and wrote   A LOT.

Edited by user 26 May 2009 20:25:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified