logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
annescot  
#1 Posted : 09 March 2012 13:34:30(UTC)
annescot

Groups: Member

I really enjoyed "A Taste of Honey" screened at the last Whaley Bridge film night, ( the film was great as was Clare's honey cake, which I savoured in the intermission). The 1960s produced some really classic films and it would be interesting to know if anyone was interested in any more classics featuring in the film programme later this year. Any suggestions would be welcome. There are so many films  to choose from, I thought that the "top 10 British films" produced by the British Film Institute may kick start some ideas; by the way A taste of Honey features at 56 in the BFI's top 100.

The BFI top 10 : The 3rd Man, Brief Encounter, Lawrence of Arabia, The 39 Steps, Great Expectations, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Kes, Don't Look Now, The Red Shoes and Trainspotting.

PS.You may like to know that the stage play of "Saturday Night & Sunday Morning" - another classic british  film is on at The Royal Exchange, Manchester until 7 April.  

Kevin.Scott  
#2 Posted : 30 March 2012 11:30:58(UTC)
Kevin.Scott

I'd come along to a screening of any of the top 10 BFI classics, although a personal favourite is "Kes". Does anyone else share my view ?

deazy69  
#3 Posted : 31 March 2012 15:33:11(UTC)
deazy69

I've not seen Kes and as an avid bird watcher I fear I may have my heart wrenched out!!
Jenny Megson  
#4 Posted : 19 April 2012 18:55:42(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Sorry that I missed 'A Taste of Honey', had it on dvd a few years ago.   Not sure whether people spotted Labour MP Hazel Blears in the cast, as a little girl of course.  Another fine example of MPs in cameo roles comes with 'How Green Was my Valley', the setting for which was more alike  our beloved Whaley, with its sheep and coal mines than the dockside of Salford not that she deter us from such classics.  Perhaps our resident historians may like to comment.

Anyone guessed who the cameo was from? Well, he played a boy scout leader and it was Aneurin 'Nye' Bevan.  So, any role for our local MP in 'the List'?

G. Jackson  
#5 Posted : 19 April 2012 20:03:36(UTC)
G. Jackson

How about the little ginger headed kid near the lead of the procession in The Music Man  ( famous song was "76 Trombones in the Hit Parade")

He went on to be a big name in a cult series and then a massive film director  (massive in the film sense not his waist line sense)

annescot  
#6 Posted : 20 April 2012 12:49:14(UTC)
annescot

I certainly didn't spot Hazel Blears in a Taste of Honey,  so  will  have to make an effort  to identify her when I next have the DVD - do you know if she was in any other films or was this one just right place, right time ? 

NevClarke  
#7 Posted : 20 April 2012 16:56:35(UTC)
NevClarke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Used to know Hazel Blears quite well, wouldn't want to post what I think of her now though, would almost certainly see me sent to the sin bin.  From memory and I've not seen the film in years she was a little girl skipping in the street.  Don't remember what point in the film it was.  From the story I was told local kids in Ordsal (I think) were just pulled in as extras. As far as I know it was her one and only celuloid excursion although she has played the pantomine villain since.

“It all sounds like the sort of scheme Elmer Fudd might dream up while drunk.”

Nev Clarke
clarkenev@gmail.com
deazy69  
#8 Posted : 23 April 2012 16:20:29(UTC)
deazy69

I love these claims to fame but sadly I don't have any to share. I'd love to hear about more. I can be found on youtube but that's not quite as interesting.

A woman I worked with in London was in an advert for a bank. Am I scrapping the proverbial barrel now??!!