logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RockBanker  
#1 Posted : 31 March 2012 21:37:36(UTC)
RockBanker

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Anyone know when the new curry house is due to open?

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
Barry Rudd  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2012 08:34:20(UTC)

Groups: Guest

April 14th- from the Horses Mouth

Cheers

RockBanker  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2012 09:02:32(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Thanks Barry

Digger  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2012 11:06:32(UTC)
Digger

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

RockBanker wrote:

Anyone know when the new curry house is due to open?

Is this the one people signed a petition against having it about 4 years ago? My mother, my brother, and I, signed the petition in the Fryary, on Canal Street, because the owner was worried it would take his trade away.

For over 10 years we used to do the boot sale at Chelford in Cheshire and then drive over to Whaley Bridge to call into the "chippy" and then spend the rest of the day sight seeing and relaxing.

When the new owner took over the Fryary and stopped opening on Sunday she destroyed a 10 year tradition. (I wonder if she will have the energy to open on the Whaley Water Weekend)?

If the competition from another takeaway affects her trade she only has herself to blame.

Pity I don't like curry, it would have been handy having somewhere else to buy food from.

Barry Rudd  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2012 13:55:54(UTC)

The Fryery is open on a Sunday and Bank Holidays

It probably has its best trading period over the Water Weekend and we hope that other traders will also open on Sunday 10th June and later on Saturday 9th to take advantage of the influx of visitors that we hope to bring to Whaley.

It would appear that the new owner of Number 29 is making a great effort to establish a quality business in a recession and bring into use a premises that has a chequered history.  Judging by how busy the Purple Pakora was last night  there could well be a demand for it,  with a knock on effect for the local pubs (for those that don't care for "indian" lager)

Cheers

Digger  
#6 Posted : 01 April 2012 16:06:01(UTC)
Digger

Barry Rudd wrote:

The Fryery is open on a Sunday and Bank Holidays

Which Sunday?

My mother died over two years ago and everytime my brother and I have been to Whaley Bridge, on a Sunday, the Fryery has been closed. The sign on the door also states "Closed on Sunday" . (Or words to that effect).

Even in winter the Fryery was a popular venue with walkers and locals and I very rarely ever saw the shop empty. I am amazed that the new owner is happy to lose this trade.

curtaintwitcher  
#7 Posted : 01 April 2012 17:26:03(UTC)
curtaintwitcher

A lot of the local pubs sell this thing called Sunday Dinner theres a number of them making great Sunday Dinners in and around Whaley Bridge !!!!
High Peak Harry  
#8 Posted : 04 April 2012 18:15:13(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Do you not think she deserves a day off? Just because a business only opens a few hours morning and evening doesn't mean there is nothing going on behind the scenes. Six days in a chippy equates to roughly 70 hours. How many hours do you work? As for competition, if the council of a small town wish to allow all manner of people to open up in the same sort of industry (food) then the cake isn't getting bigger, the slices are getting smaller.
pizzabutty  
#9 Posted : 04 April 2012 19:16:19(UTC)
pizzabutty

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)

High Peak Harry wrote:
Do you not think she deserves a day off? Just because a business only opens a few hours morning and evening doesn't mean there is nothing going on behind the scenes. Six days in a chippy equates to roughly 70 hours. How many hours do you work? As for competition, if the council of a small town wish to allow all manner of people to open up in the same sort of industry (food) then the cake isn't getting bigger, the slices are getting smaller.

If this was Facebook I'd 'like' this post.

Barry Rudd  
#10 Posted : 05 April 2012 15:44:10(UTC)

Opening night is now for the Whaley A list only 10th April and 11th for the rest.  There still seems a lot of work to do though

Cheers

davethescope  
#11 Posted : 05 April 2012 15:48:23(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
What is "contemporary" Indian cuisine? Is it really a competitor to "traditional" fish n chips?
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
RockBanker  
#12 Posted : 05 April 2012 16:36:35(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

I think it means no red flock wallpaper.

Jonny Summers  
#13 Posted : 05 April 2012 17:01:37(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have to agree with High Peak Harry here, is there really enough diners to support two Indian "eat-ins" in Whaley Bridge? I see an early rush to try it out, and then either this or Memories of India will fall by the wayside!!!
polo  
#14 Posted : 17 April 2012 13:46:56(UTC)
polo

Has anyone tried the new curry house yet ? Would be interested to hear comments as want to try it with some friends.

Ferni  
#15 Posted : 18 April 2012 21:46:11(UTC)
Ferni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Myself and my German guest visited Zayka tonight - 1st customers of the evening - and were immensely impressed with the quality of the establishment, presentation and food. They have a fixed price 3-course meal for £15. which has a good selection of tantalising meals to choose from. There is the full menu too with a broader range which is no good for me because I just want to try them all !! From the presentation of the popadoms and dip selection ( which were exquisite) and the starter course, each mouthful was a delight for the tastebuds. We shared our main course choices of course, and would like to mention that the portions are very very generous! Highly recommended is the lemon rice: a pleasant alternative to the usual rices.
Compared to the Thai Fusion meal I ate last week, this menu was utterly satisfying, having almost twice as much a portion.. and I certainly didn't feel the need to have a slice of toast when I got home. My guest was left with a very good impression of the (British) curry experience and of Whaley Bridge on the whole... ... my thanks to the chef who took the time to come and speak to all his customers, and explain any of his dishes..

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Horwich Ender  
#16 Posted : 19 April 2012 19:58:10(UTC)
Horwich Ender

polo wrote:

Has anyone tried the new curry house yet ? Would be interested to hear comments as want to try it with some friends.

Good evening polo.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure Chairman Jon the Whaley One will be able to give you a review of his evening at Zayka.

I believe his name was the first on the “A” guest list for the Tuesday night freebie.

lexipie  
#17 Posted : 19 April 2012 21:50:28(UTC)
lexipie

Me and my husband went last night... not impressed!!!
Too slow and average food - nothing special. Took 35 mins to get drinks, and we were sat there for 55mins before we got the starters!

And we drove past memories of india on the way home which was alot busier!

Edited by user 19 April 2012 21:51:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

moogie  
#18 Posted : 20 April 2012 11:21:27(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)

thats the first negative review ive heard.....

know of 3 peeps who have been saying its great, especially the food....more and actual meal rather than take away on a plate....

will check for my self ....planning a feed this weekend...will post up my thoughts

polo  
#19 Posted : 21 April 2012 13:07:30(UTC)
polo

I went with a group of friends last night, firstly they phoned me in the morning to confirm our table for 8.15 which was fine and then at 6pm they called again to say they were over booked and could I make it for 9pm instead !! I said no as people had arranged taxis ect to get there. We arrived and it was very busy took ages to get the drinks and even longer for the food, I must say the food was very good but service dreadful , I know they have only been open for a week but the prices they charge and the present retail climate there should be no excuses.

moogie  
#20 Posted : 23 April 2012 13:32:48(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)

polo wrote:

I went with a group of friends last night, firstly they phoned me in the morning to confirm our table for 8.15 which was fine and then at 6pm they called again to say they were over booked and could I make it for 9pm instead !! I said no as people had arranged taxis ect to get there. We arrived and it was very busy took ages to get the drinks and even longer for the food, I must say the food was very good but service dreadful , I know they have only been open for a week but the prices they charge and the present retail climate there should be no excuses.

i tried to book on friday .......and the guy told me that he had overbooked , and had been told off by his manager....between 6-9

i left it , but certainly want to get in asap...as again heard some good things...