logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Neil A Shaw  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2012 19:52:09(UTC)
Neil A Shaw

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Had to laugh whilst driving home from work yesterday and listening to Jenny Pinches competing for GB in the Olympics.

The Sheps beer garden looked full and the usual suspects were hanging around outside the White Hart and the Railway smoking area.

Meanwhile the eyes of the world were focussed on a young girl from Whaley Bridge. It's just a pity those eyes didn't include people from her own village.

Benga  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2012 10:29:57(UTC)

Groups: Guest

i watched jenny on tvshe was brillianta credit to great britain and whaleywe should all be very proud of her

Green_Gentleman  
#3 Posted : 31 July 2012 16:47:22(UTC)
Green_Gentleman

Believe it or not there IS life outside of the Olympics, and yes she may well live here but not whomn I would call a resident of the town. Seeing she's spent most of her life studying in Macclesfield or being at the GB Training facility in Liverpool. Wether she wins Gold, Silver, Bronze, or nothing, it makes little difference to my life or anyone else's.

nce  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2012 17:07:51(UTC)
nce

Green_Gentleman wrote:

Believe it or not there IS life outside of the Olympics, and yes she may well live here but not whomn I would call a resident of the town. Seeing she's spent most of her life studying in Macclesfield or being at the GB Training facility in Liverpool. Wether she wins Gold, Silver, Bronze, or nothing, it makes little difference to my life or anyone else's.

Ah. That made me laugh. Trust me. She lives here alright. Just because she doesn't down pints in the Sheps doesn't make her a non-resident. Check the electoral roll.
Wanderer returns  
#5 Posted : 31 July 2012 17:13:59(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
If she's not a resident of Whaley Bridge then why does it saw so on the web site? She "trains" in Liverpool as this is where the vast majority of the GB gymnasts train. As for her schooling - a huge number of the local children do not go to the local schools through parental choice. (that is not meant to imply that the local schools are in any way substandard just to clarify)
Green_Gentleman  
#6 Posted : 31 July 2012 17:30:45(UTC)
Green_Gentleman

Well it's not to take anything away from what she does, but i've been watching the Olympic Sports from Kayaking, Equestrian, Volleyball, even the Football and I remain impartial no matter who the country or athlete might be and I'd be the same regardless of wether Pinches comes from the house next door, Buxton, or anywhere else.

Again not to take away her credibility, but wether she wins anything with the Team GB squad will have no consequence on my life so i'm not caught up in the whole 'she's from Whaley' hype which a few seem to have been without any rationality thought towards why.

High Peak Harry  
#7 Posted : 31 July 2012 17:35:16(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Porridge a bit lumpy this morning was it, Green Gentleman?
Green_Gentleman  
#8 Posted : 31 July 2012 17:47:23(UTC)
Green_Gentleman

Yeah it was a bit, but what can you do about it...

A better comparison of this is saying that although Black Sabbath comes from Birmingham it doesn't mean that every single person in that city follows every concert, in every country, and has every CD of them. Lets get some perspective, people like different things and are adult enough to form their own opinions.

Norm  
#9 Posted : 31 July 2012 18:05:30(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

High Peak Harry wrote:
Porridge a bit lumpy this morning was it, Green Gentleman?

I wish her well, usually people do support local people such as football teams etc. It makes people happy, is that such a bad thing?

Norm

High Peak Harry  
#10 Posted : 31 July 2012 18:25:25(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Well, let's use perspective then shall we. Birmingham is a huge metropolis and the chances of having any connection with anyone famous for music, sport or whatever is pretty remote. However, when you look at the size of Whaley and the fact that an Olympian comes from a tiny village in North Derbyshire it puts a perspective (there's that word again!) on things doesn't it. If I remember back to art at school, perspective changed the further away you got from it. Oh, didn't I just give that same analogy? I must be a Genie's ar$e mustn't I?
Neil A Shaw  
#11 Posted : 31 July 2012 22:46:36(UTC)
Neil A Shaw

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Quite staggering that a local girl's efforts should be dismissed because she isn't 100%  born and bred Whaley Bridge: and this from somebody who frequently explodes into a massive sulk because the locals don't take him seriously.

Carlsberg don't do hypocritical nonsense, but if they did....

Green_Gentleman  
#12 Posted : 31 July 2012 22:57:57(UTC)
Green_Gentleman

Yes it is quite staggering that there's some people out there who don't power w@nk over other people just because they happen to come from the same town as them. If she discovered a planetary asteroid that was hurtling towards Earth and she stopped it with her mind then it might be a bit more of a achievement.

Ironically enough the team came seventh tonight, and i'm sure the people busy working in Whaley town tonight, or busy doing other things aren't going to have their lives effected by this. Get over it.

BarryRudd  
#13 Posted : 31 July 2012 23:07:41(UTC)
BarryRudd

Well, I know that she will get the homecoming that she deserves - another young person in Whaley who is a credit!

Edited by user 31 July 2012 23:11:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BarryRudd attached the following image(s):
pinches.jpg
sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
High Peak Harry  
#14 Posted : 01 August 2012 07:46:13(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Green Gentleman, I'm not quite sure how you derived your name. Was it green because you are jealous or green because you are a mouldy old fart? You and Jack seem to be the same sort of person, never happy unless you are unhappy. Why don't you both go and live in a tent on Kinder and you can moan about the weather and the world in general.
G. Jackson  
#15 Posted : 01 August 2012 08:26:55(UTC)
G. Jackson

Because of the second world war we live in a democratic country. If we want to watch the Olympics we can, but we don't have to. Because we live "in the country" we don't have to watch Countryfile and listen to Gardeners Question Time. Try and  smile like Neil does when he passes The Sheps and be thankful that we can please ourselves what we do.

davethescope  
#16 Posted : 01 August 2012 08:46:35(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Bit of a turnaround for someone on this forum to be complaining about peoples frequenting the local hostelries rather than sitting at home with a bottle in front of the television :-)

But it is not inconsistent to admire the girls achievements and wish her well in her quest for Gold, whilst been left cold by the actual non-sport at which she excels. As G_G says we all have different tastes. If, for example, Whaley produced a Nobel winning chemist - a much greater achievement than an Olympic gold medal - I doubt if the train to London would be packed with locals going to a lecture on "palladium-catalyzed cross couplings in organic synthesis" at the RS.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
G. Jackson  
#17 Posted : 01 August 2012 09:00:55(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dave, That sounds very interesting, what train do I catch?

THE CROW  
#18 Posted : 01 August 2012 09:18:32(UTC)
THE CROW

Careful now Green Gentlman,You will be giving yourself a heart attack,you seemed to lose the plot with your foul language.I really don't understand you sometimes you say one thing then next you change your mind,you sound like a politician.I for one watched Jenny and thought it was fantastic.I heard that in the next olympics there having a Moany old gits competition,I think you should enter,i'm sure that the whole of Whaley will watch you.

davethescope  
#19 Posted : 01 August 2012 09:40:00(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
G. Jackson wrote:

Dave, That sounds very interesting, what train do I catch?

The last train - 1958 - from Buxworth station :-)

But the point I was making is why do we venerate sporting achievement so far above scientific, cultural and intellectual achievements?
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
RockBanker  
#20 Posted : 01 August 2012 10:39:03(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Perhaps the Nobel Foundation should employ Danny Boyle to produce their prize ceremony.....
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk