logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RockBanker  
#21 Posted : 01 August 2012 13:13:48(UTC)
RockBanker

Groups: Member
Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

davethescope wrote:
But the point I was making is why do we venerate sporting achievement so far above scientific, cultural and intellectual achievements?

I imagine it was a rhetorical question, but, well…
As a society we do venerate technical, scientific, artistic and intellectual achievement. Every year thousands of people graduate from college and university in quasi-religious ceremonies celebrating their success, followed by photographs proudly displayed in the local papers.   We have many learned societies that recognise and celebrate the highest levels of achievement in their fields. Almost every decent sized town has museums, galleries and libraries.  Many millions of pounds are distributed by the various research councils and private foundations to support scientific, technical and artistic endeavour.

Both participating and watching sport promotes the release ofcortisol, adrenaline and endorphins, not surprising given that most sports are a ritualised form of conflict or the hunt. Supporting a team promotes membership of an in-group. Sport thus generates a strong, almost atavistic response in the mind and body of its followers.

However much we would wish it otherwise, it is emotion, not thought that drives us. It is no suprise that we venerate or loath the most that which generates the strongest feelings.
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
nce  
#22 Posted : 01 August 2012 13:21:49(UTC)
nce

davethescope wrote:
G. Jackson wrote:

Dave, That sounds very interesting, what train do I catch?

The last train - 1958 - from Buxworth station :-)

But the point I was making is why do we venerate sporting achievement so far above scientific, cultural and intellectual achievements?

Because a large segment of society can quickly understand the rules of a sport and get something out of watching it. Chemistry requires more understanding. The 2011 NB for Chemistry went to Dan Shechtman for the discovery of quasicrystals. Wikipedia, which is usually the most accessible source on any topic, states in its opening precis that "a quasiperiodic crystal, or, in short, quasicrystal, is a structure that is ordered but not periodic. A quasicrystalline pattern can continuously fill all available space, but it lacks translational symmetry. While crystals, according to the classical crystallographic restriction theorem, can possess only two, three, four, and six-fold rotational symmetries, the Bragg diffraction pattern of quasicrystals shows sharp peaks with other symmetry orders, for instance five-fold."

That is a hell of a lot more difficult to understand than the rules for the Olympic 100 metres.

For my part I am a scientist (PhD in pharmacology, 4 years post doc at Liverpool and 12 years in the drugs industry). I have also met two Nobel laureates, and I respect the achievements they made (although I have greater respect for two particular scientists who were never awarded an NB). It has to be said though that in science, some key discoveries that are recognised by Nobel prizes include an element of dumb luck. ALso, the practical application of quasicrystals is ambiguous at best.
G. Jackson  
#23 Posted : 01 August 2012 16:42:48(UTC)
G. Jackson

After reading all that I'm going for a pint.

THE CROW  
#24 Posted : 01 August 2012 17:57:22(UTC)
THE CROW

Theres always on that tries to be clever.I suggest NCE spends more time playing guitar than using big words.From what I have heard he needs the practice.

Neil A Shaw  
#25 Posted : 01 August 2012 18:30:35(UTC)
Neil A Shaw

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Apparently Ernest Walton only became a scientist because he couldn't play cricket. Wagner played left wing for Werder Bremen and Emily Pankhurst carried the flag for Britain at the Athens Olympics in 1896.

However they all lived in Fernilee so it doesn't count.

High Peak Harry  
#26 Posted : 01 August 2012 19:15:18(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Neil A Shaw wrote:

Apparently Ernest Walton only became a scientist because he couldn't play cricket. Wagner played left wing for Werder Bremen and Emily Pankhurst carried the flag for Britain at the Athens Olympics in 1896.

However they all lived in Fernilee so it doesn't count.

Now that, I like Mr. Shaw. I'm sure some curmudgeon will be along shortly to remonstrate with you for your sarcasm.
davethescope  
#27 Posted : 02 August 2012 08:07:07(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
THE CROW wrote:

Theres always on that tries to be clever.I suggest NCE spends more time playing guitar than using big words.From what I have heard he needs the practice.

Since nce was replying to me he was quite justified in using big words cos thems as wot I unnerstand. But, contrary to his point about the rules of sport being easy to comprehend, I do find the scoring system in gymnastics ( and diving and synchronised swimming) rather less easy to understand than extra-galactic physics :-)

And, Neil, I believe that the reason that E.P. merely carried the flag in 1896 but did not compete is that there were doubts, obviously hushed-up at the time, about her gender.

Edited by user 02 August 2012 08:11:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Neil A Shaw  
#28 Posted : 02 August 2012 16:15:03(UTC)
Neil A Shaw

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Sorry, but I'm off to Wolfsburg on the lash.

Binge drinking isn't clever, but if it was an Olympic Sport, I'd be Gold Medalist.

That's All Folks!

nce  
#29 Posted : 03 August 2012 12:14:33(UTC)
nce

THE CROW wrote:

1. I didn't use big words. I quoted them.

2. Even if I did, they are often the best way of describing something. If you don't understand them, fine, but to have a go over their use typifies Daily Mail-style ignorance and inverted snobbery.

3. You can get lost on the guitar comment. It's a) got nothing to do with the topic at hand, and b) spiteful.

N.

Wanderer returns  
#30 Posted : 06 August 2012 13:58:42(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Well she's just been on tv and what a nice touch it is to have the banner up in the village!!, well done Jenni!!
pensionman  
#31 Posted : 06 August 2012 14:12:35(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Was she interviewed?

Wanderer returns  
#32 Posted : 06 August 2012 14:44:24(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Yes she had a little slot with one of the other GB gymnasts
snoopy  
#33 Posted : 13 September 2012 08:09:50(UTC)
snoopy

davethescope  
#34 Posted : 13 September 2012 12:25:34(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
She is a ripe old age for a gymnast. Sigh.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Horwich Ender  
#35 Posted : 25 June 2014 16:50:58(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good afternoon.

Jennifer Pinches can be seen here reflecting on an incredible year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/gymnastics/20683100