logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gillianmawson  
#1 Posted : 10 August 2012 17:02:03(UTC)
gillianmawson

Groups: Member

Hi everyone, I am a Whaley resident and a new member to the forum, and want to share my history research with you. For four years I have been interviewing Guernsey evacuees who came to Northern England in June 1940, just prior to the Nazi occupation of their island.  5,000 school children were evacuated with their teachers, and 500 mothers with infants trravelled with them as 'teacher's helpers'. Another 12,000 people managed to leave the island before the Nazis occupied  it on 30 June 1940. Around 20 of the evacuated Guernsey schools were re established in Cheshire, Lancashire and Derbyshire during the war. For example, Guernsey's Elizabeth College boys lived at Whitehall, near Buxton, and also at Great Hucklow. Another school was established in Disley, another in Cheadle Hulme, and another in Knutsford. The Guernsey mothers had to find accommodation for themselves and their infants, and you can find out more about them at : http://www.historyworkshop.org.uk/?s=guernsey&submit=Search

The evacuees remained here for five years and when their island was liberated, many chose not to return home but to remain in the English communities in which they had settled.  I have interviewed 200 evacuees so far, and have formed a community group for Guernsey evacuees who still live in Northern England. I give talks to schools, community groups, museums and history societies in order that the evacuees' stories can be shared with people of all ages. I am sometimes accompanied by an evacuee who will tell something of their personal story and answer question.

I have spent the past 8 months writing a book on the subject, and you can read my blog which shows some of the discoveries I have made during this time. My blog can be found at: http://guernseyevacuees.wordpress.com/writing-my-book-blog/

My book, 'Guernsey Evacuees: The Forgotten Evacuees of the Second World War'  is published on 1 November by History Press, but can be pre-ordered  now from amazon.co.uk, or amazon.com

gritch  
#2 Posted : 14 August 2012 10:02:14(UTC)
gritch

Many thanks for this information. You have put a lot of time and effort into this project which I'm sure is appreciated by most...thank you.
Gnatalee  
#3 Posted : 14 August 2012 14:01:41(UTC)
Gnatalee

I agree gritch - I spent an afternoon reading the diary which excellent. I have read many other books regarding the Channel Islands occupation - Molly Behet books on Guernsey - and I look forward to reading yours when it is published. Well done it getting it to print and thank you for the information.

Gnats
gillianmawson  
#4 Posted : 14 August 2012 17:25:56(UTC)
gillianmawson

Thank you so much for your supportive comments. I do appreciate them. Gill
gillianmawson  
#5 Posted : 14 November 2012 11:22:11(UTC)
gillianmawson

Hi everyone my book was published on 12 November, and a good friend made a short book trailer for me, with sound. You can view it here, together with a summary of my book contents: http://guernseyevacuees.wordpress.com/my-new-book/
davethescope  
#6 Posted : 02 December 2012 22:29:02(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)

Plaque on Stockport Station approach
davethescope attached the following image(s):
IMG_0099.JPG
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
gillianmawson  
#7 Posted : 03 December 2012 16:21:00(UTC)
gillianmawson

HI Dave and thank you for putting this great photo of the Channel Island evacuees plaque up on the site! I worked with Stockport Council in 2010 on an evacuee reunion in Stockport, and was amazed when it was agreed that a plaque would be put up during the reunion event. We had a tea party at the Town Hall, and I organised an evacuee service at St Marys Church in the Market Place, a tour of the Masonic Guildhall which was a Guernsey evacuee reception centre in June and July 1940. Every time I pass the plaque, I touch it for good luck and remember that reunion. Thank you. Gill
tooterpam  
#8 Posted : 28 February 2013 17:36:09(UTC)
tooterpam

United Kingdom

Fascinating! I lived on Guernsey for a few years but I'm originally from Buxton and my Dad used to work for Buxton Press and remembers the newspaper reports. Will definitely get hold of your book :)