logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Horwich Ender  
#41 Posted : 26 January 2013 16:27:17(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good afternoon.

I confirm I have reread post #29 and I am still unclear why post #15 was put on this forum unless it was to discourage other photographs from being posted.

davethescope, I do understand your reasoning for using “he” but the grammatical dictum “The male embraces the female” is considered by many to be years out of date and in this era of sexual equality I would hate you to fall foul of the equal opportunity brigade. You will note prospective councillor NevClarke chose his words very carefully and used “they” when describing the professional photographer and perhaps it would be in your interest to do the same in the future. We have had complaints on this forum before referring to sexual discrimination and the last thing we want is the moderators deleting your posts on the grounds they are not politically correct.

george, if my memory serves me correctly the subject of text size has been discussed before. I think it was that computer whizzkid Tyke who informed members that if you press the “Ctrl” key and the “+” key at the same time this increases the size of the text. The keys can be pressed more than once to increase the text to a size that is appropriate to the reader. The text size can then be reduced by pressing the “Ctrl” key and the “-” key simultaneously.

If the above doesn't work on your computer george, please let forum members know as I am sure there will be someone, who has far more technical knowledge than me, who will be able to assist you.

davethescope  
#42 Posted : 26 January 2013 19:11:29(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Horwich Ender wrote:
davethescope, I do understand your reasoning for using “he” but the grammatical dictum “The male embraces the female” is considered by many to be years out of date and in this era of sexual equality I would hate you to fall foul of the equal opportunity brigade. You will note prospective councillor NevClarke chose his words very carefully and used “they”

Sorry HE. I didn't realise that there was more than one photographer involved or I would have used the third person plural to refer to them.

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
tyke  
#43 Posted : 27 January 2013 12:40:48(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Wonderwhy, Good picture, of the works being built. Never realised there was once a building over the now infilled arm in the canal basin. Presumably the railway was extended over the river and into the works somewhat later on and this building was then demolished.

Edited by user 27 January 2013 12:42:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Curious  
#44 Posted : 27 January 2013 17:12:23(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Re photo of Printworks being built #40.  Mr Curious tells me that his Mum used to refer to this as the Lime House.

Mrs C

george  
#45 Posted : 27 January 2013 19:11:40(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Thank you Horwich Ender your memory is better than mine, now I remember the last time I asked for help, unfortunately I was mixed up and pressing the wrong keys but I am O.K. again now.

That was a very interesting picture of the canal basin, I remember the inlet going up to the railway lines. Also on the other side of the lines there were big edging stone showing the canal went almost up to the wall of the land behind Bingswood Ave. terminating in a semi-circle. These could be seen under the grass they were there prior to the new sewer being laid, when the ground was being dug up I realised the old remains would be lost. So I went to see the now ex. clerk of the town council who assured me they would be re-instasted and not lost which was obviously not the case. I wished after I had got in touch with the Amenity Soc.

george

george  
#46 Posted : 27 January 2013 19:26:53(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hi tyke, the old boiler house and chimney were in the middle of the works yard until about the early 1930s. the coal going down between the houses of Bingswood on the railway waggons. the chimney became dangerous.

Subsequently a new boiler house and chimney were built on the other side of the little bridge to which you refer and as you say the railway lines extended. This was put on a topic on the C.P.A. previously but I can't find it.

george

wonderwhy  
#47 Posted : 28 January 2013 08:43:09(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Curious wrote:

Re photo of Printworks being built #40.  Mr Curious tells me that his Mum used to refer to this as the Lime House.

Mrs C

It certainly looks like lime on the right of this much later picture.
Perhaps lime was a chemical used in the textile printing process, although I have not come across it in later years.

Today I have added the R.S-S picture Sorry Jon.

Edited by user 29 January 2013 10:08:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

wonderwhy attached the following image(s):
lime2.jpg
rss.jpg
JonG  
#48 Posted : 29 January 2013 01:26:59(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

WonderWhy

If you are going to copy and drop pictures into the threads, which you have just copied from another thread, then please have the courtesy to say so. In this case you have taken a picture that RSS recently posted in another thread and you have dropped it in as if it came from you.

Please will you also remove the wwwlink  from your posts.

Thank you.

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Jenny Megson  
#49 Posted : 29 January 2013 08:50:38(UTC)

Welcome back Snoopy.

I  think Jon has removed the link from WonderWhy's previous posts.  He's asking for him not to it on future posts.

tyke  
#50 Posted : 29 January 2013 11:19:32(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

To be fairer, it might be better to remove this facility for everybody so then nobody can use it.
fredsmith  
#51 Posted : 30 January 2013 08:44:54(UTC)

Guest wrote:

Curious wrote:

Mrs C

It certainly looks like lime on the right of this much later picture.
Perhaps lime was a chemical used in the textile printing process, although I have not come across it in later years.

Today I have added the R.S-S picture Sorry Jon.

The proximity of the lime to the coal gives a clue in the photograph,
The lime is used in the boiler to remove sulphur dioxide from the discharging smoke. Failure to do this results in a mist of Sulphuric Acid falling on the surrounding farmland and town.

One wonders at what date this process was implemented at Bingswood. 
Was there damage to land and limb in the early days? 

Fred

buggyite  
#52 Posted : 30 January 2013 10:12:37(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Another load of blethering nonsense from**. ( I see that this site treats *his* name as an obscenity, so the **s mean Last Word Larry of Kinmel Bay)

The lime heaped on the wharf side is there because it has been unloaded from railway wagons, and is for onward shipment by narrow boat.

As the narrow boat was not to hand for loading directly into, it will have been dropped onto the wharf side to avoid having to pay demurrage charges to the LMS railway. Demurrage was paid if you kept a wagon for longer than was thought necessary for unloading.

The lime house was for transhipping quick lime from railway wagons into narrow boats, and is enclosed to avoid the quick lime getting wet. It isn't clear whether there was a proper wagon tippler device in there which would have turned the wagon over to empty it (although I doubt this very much). Also, bottom-discharge wagons were quite rare on the railways in the 1920s and 30s, so it wold have just been somewhere dry where men with shovels would have shifted the quick lime through the side door of the wagon into the narrow boat waiting underneath.

I prefer not to respond to anything** writes, but felt it necessary to make this correction to avoid history being corrupted, should anyone use this site for research purposes.

Edited by user 30 January 2013 10:13:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
G. Jackson  
#53 Posted : 30 January 2013 10:20:41(UTC)
G. Jackson

Is it a coincidence that Wonderwhy, Jenny Megson and fredsmith all have the same number of total posts 1354??
Is this something that R.S-S was on about???
NevClarke  
#54 Posted : 30 January 2013 20:38:51(UTC)
NevClarke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Robert/RSS thank you for emailing me today as to where you obtained the Poll Tax photo.  The information you supplied was very useful and the photographer is very grateful.

It is a great pity that the surrounding debate has been so unpleasant.   A great deal has been said by many people over the six days since the matter was raised and a great deal of it appears to have been said in anger.  People make mistakes with postings, the good, the bad and the ugly. The forum isn't always perfect and sometimes members push it too far, but it's at its best when people are debating points made in a civil, friendly and constructive manner.  It doesn't always need to end with a shoot-out/showdown.

“It all sounds like the sort of scheme Elmer Fudd might dream up while drunk.”

Nev Clarke
clarkenev@gmail.com