logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#1 Posted : 20 January 2013 12:01:07(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

1. The Calico Printers Association (CPA) was largely responsible for the development of Whaley Bridge, and it is on record that in 1860 the first sewing machine was installed in the Bingswood Mill. According to a contemporary writer, this innovation was so "noticeable" that crowds came flocking from as far away as Manchester to see it working.

2. In the same year the first telegraph message was sent from the Whaley Bridge mill to Manchester. And to the unbounded amazement of everyone concerned an answer was actually received the same day!

3. Roman Catholic services used to be held in the room over Mr Firth’s greengrocer’s shop in High Street, before the Church of the Sacred Heart was built.

4. Whaley Bridge Bowling Club: an original club card reveals that in 1907 the committee included three colonels, four M.P.’s two J.P.’s, one major and a doctor.

I do not know who the people were HPH but two of the Colonels would have been Colonel Hall and Colonel Mandelberg.
RockBanker is good at solving, and creating, puzzles so I think he will sort out the MP's for us.
The rest is up to you lot out there.

R. S-S

buggyite  
#2 Posted : 20 January 2013 12:39:59(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I woud suggest that the textile printing industry was well-established in Whaley Bridge by the time the CPA were formed in 1899, but whoever owned Whaley Bridge printworks at the time would have been part of the merger.

Certainly Edmund Potter and Co. who owned Dinting Vale printworks (and I think Buckton Vale near Stalybridge) were part of the initial group who formed the CPA, as were the Strines Printing Co.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2013 13:01:48(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Buggyite,

You mention Dinting Vale, Strines and Buckton Vale; the CPA must have been a good employer reference the list of long serving workers below:

50 Years of Calico Printing

A Jubilee History of the C.P.A. published by the Calico Printers' Association Ltd., Manchester, 1949.

On November 8th 1899 the Calico Printers' Association Limited came into being under the chairmanship of F.F. Grafton, with an issued capital of £8,200,000 made up of £5,000,000 share capital and £3,200,000 debenture stock.

JUBILEE EMPLOYEES

It is with considerable pleasure and gratification that the following roll is presented of those still in the employ of the Association in its Jubilee Year who will have completed 50 or more years of service.

BUCKTON VALE WORKS

D. Redfearn, J. Brindle, J. Thorp, J. Mellor, H. Langley, T. Brennand, E. Winterbottom, J. Andrew, P. Corker, J. Smith, H. Kilshaw, W. Heap, W. Norris, F. Thorneley, R. Wright, W. Roberts, I. Bagshaw, J. Grindrick.

DINTING VALE WORKS

E. Bevan, E.H. Williams, J. Roberts, F. Fielding, H. Sellars, J. Williamson, G.W. Ainsworth, J.W. Metcalfe, J. Garlick, W.S. Ford, W. Hobson, J. Clarke, E. Mottram, S.H. McMath, A. Fletcher.

STRINES WORKS

A. Stott, A. Sandiford, W.T. Nutter, R. Gibson, C.F. Shaw, H. Whittaker, W. Howard,
A. Bagshaw, J. Ferns, H. Atherton, T. Howe, J. Brooke, G.E. Shepley, C. Devlin, J.
McKee, T.H. Smith, J. Jackson, E. Whittaker, J.W. Heywood, J. Swindells, F. Booth,
J. Ardern, W. Bennett, A. Tetlow, W. Ollereshaw, T. Waterhouse.

There were, of course, other mills who had long serving employees and I’ll let you know later just how they were rewarded for their loyal service.

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 21 January 2013 12:03:19(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

The Motor Car comes to Whaley:

Reporter

16 October 1897

Well, I Never.
Last Sunday Whaley was invaded by a mortar car, or rather a motor car.    It astonished the natives, who turned out as if a circus procession was going by.    Amongst the spectators were eager professional men.

Reporter

24 July 1920

The Finance Committee had recommended that the speed limit for motors through Whaley should be 8 mph.
The Clerk said it would be necessary for the County Council to get an order from the Ministry of Health to impose a speed limit and that could not be less than 10 mph.
Mr. Secombe said that in a few minutes on Sunday morning he saw 27 motors go through Furness Vale at 20 mph.

I wonder if Mr. Secombe was in the speed camera van that seems to be based there.

R. S-S.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 22 January 2013 11:17:53(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi George,

I am sure you will remember this gentleman and his shop.

High Peak Reporter

15 November 1919

Mr Ernest Crabtree begs to inform the Public of Whaley Bridge and District that he IS OPENING GOYT SHOP, corner of George-street, Whaley Bridge, under the name of The Amalgamated Fruit, Fish and Grocery Stores, on FRIDAY NEXT, November 21st, with a Choice Selection of ENGLISH and FOREIGN FRUITS, FISH, VEGETABLES, Etc. FRESH FISH DAILY. WREATH & BOUQUETS GOT TO ORDER. A TRIAL SOLICITED.

1 May 1920

GOYT SHOP, GEORGE STREET, WHALEY BRIDGE

THE PUBLIC OF WHALEY BRIDGE AND DISTRICT ARE REQUESTED TO NOTE THAT THERE IS NO ICELAND OR FROZEN FISH TO BE OBTAINED AT THE ABOVE ADDRESS. ONLY THE BEST SELECTED AT LOWEST MARKET PRICES. FRESH ARRIVALS DAILY.

E. CRABTREE proprietor.

3 December 1921

E. CRABTREE, Fruiterer

George Street, WHALEY BRIDGE

IF YOU WANT THE BEST IN FRUIT, FIGS, DATES, NUTS, PRUNES, ALMONDS, MUSCATELS Etc. DON'T FAIL, WHEN SHOPPING, TO PAY A VISIT TO THE ABOVE ADDRESS REMEMBERING THAT THE BEST IS THE TEST OF CHEAPNESS

ORDERS PROMPTLY DELIVERED TO ALL PARTS OF THE DISTRICT NO CHARGE FOR DELIVERY

R. S-S

George,

Sorry I haven't been in touch for a while I have been having some problems with my emails but I think I am back on track now.

γ€€

γ€€

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#6 Posted : 22 January 2013 19:05:49(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Back to Thatcher’s Britain! Can you remember it? The total destruction of the mining industry, the working classes attacked at each and every opportunity, whole communities at war and the dreaded Poll Tax.

There were riots in the streets, buildings were burned and police in riot gear attacked the general population.

There was a small riot in Congleton but the violence never got as far as Whaley Bridge.

However there was a mass protest which was organised on the Station Approach. Was this protest organised by one of our local Councillors? I can’t quite remember just now but have a look at the photo below and see just who you recognise.

Surely that’s not a young prospective local politician in the background? A young JohnP perhaps. Never.

R. S-S

Benno  
#7 Posted : 22 January 2013 22:23:50(UTC)
Benno

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Hi George,

I am sure you will remember this gentleman and his shop.

High Peak Reporter

15 November 1919

Mr Ernest Crabtree begs to inform the Public of Whaley Bridge and District that he IS OPENING GOYT SHOP, corner of George-street, Whaley Bridge, under the name of The Amalgamated Fruit, Fish and Grocery Stores, on FRIDAY NEXT, November 21st, with a Choice Selection of ENGLISH and FOREIGN FRUITS, FISH, VEGETABLES, Etc. FRESH FISH DAILY. WREATH & BOUQUETS GOT TO ORDER. A TRIAL SOLICITED.

1 May 1920

GOYT SHOP, GEORGE STREET, WHALEY BRIDGE

THE PUBLIC OF WHALEY BRIDGE AND DISTRICT ARE REQUESTED TO NOTE THAT THERE IS NO ICELAND OR FROZEN FISH TO BE OBTAINED AT THE ABOVE ADDRESS. ONLY THE BEST SELECTED AT LOWEST MARKET PRICES. FRESH ARRIVALS DAILY.

E. CRABTREE proprietor.

3 December 1921

E. CRABTREE, Fruiterer

George Street, WHALEY BRIDGE

IF YOU WANT THE BEST IN FRUIT, FIGS, DATES, NUTS, PRUNES, ALMONDS, MUSCATELS Etc. DON'T FAIL, WHEN SHOPPING, TO PAY A VISIT TO THE ABOVE ADDRESS REMEMBERING THAT THE BEST IS THE TEST OF CHEAPNESS

ORDERS PROMPTLY DELIVERED TO ALL PARTS OF THE DISTRICT NO CHARGE FOR DELIVERY

R. S-S

George,

Sorry I haven't been in touch for a while I have been having some problems with my emails but I think I am back on track now.

γ€€

γ€€

Is this the current antiques shop?
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 23 January 2013 11:39:05(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Yes, Benno,

But if you are looking for antique fish or fruit she has just sold out.

R. S-S

Horwich Ender  
#9 Posted : 23 January 2013 18:59:16(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening R. S-S

What are very interesting photograph you have posted (#6).

I think you are probably correct when you point out Whaley Bridge's longest serving Town Councillor is at the heart of the demonstration.

There are other very familiar faces in the crowd with some of Whaley's most notorious activists present.

One of the gathering is so famous I think prospective councillor NevClarke started a thread about him on this forum.

P. S

I am wondering how this photograph was obtained and I think the question needs to be asked but may not be answered.

Here goes anyway.

R. S-S, are you a member of MI5 ?

wonderwhy  
#10 Posted : 23 January 2013 20:57:42(UTC)

Groups: Guest

wonderwhy attached the following image(s):
crowd1a.jpg
crowd2.jpg
BarryRudd  
#11 Posted : 23 January 2013 23:49:30(UTC)
BarryRudd

A pity Wonderwhy that you could not enhance the photo to see what the one citizen who has bothered to hold his placard aloft was so passionate about.

The rest look quite apathetic-lots of hands in pockets and don't quite know what we are protesting about- but remember this was pre daytime television :-)  Maybe it was the winter of discontent. 

Cheers

It nice to see more recent history photos as I'm sure we sometimes forget what it was like before the A6 By pass

Edited by user 24 January 2013 08:25:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
wonderwhy  
#12 Posted : 24 January 2013 07:57:56(UTC)

I am sure it reads “CANNOT AFFORD TO PAY THE TAX” or perhaps “CAN YOU AFFORD TO PAY THE TAX”

If the original is a real photograph (not digital) it would be best re-scanned at 300 – 600 dpi then reposted on here as an attachment for very best results.

Second look -is it CAN WE ?

Edited by user 24 January 2013 08:00:36(UTC)  | Reason: addition

crowd3.jpg
tyke  
#13 Posted : 24 January 2013 08:47:17(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Looking at that I am guessing its around the time of the Poll Tax era rather than the winter of dis-content I'm trying to see what the cars are to give a clue.
wonderwhy  
#14 Posted : 24 January 2013 10:32:16(UTC)

tyke wrote:
Looking at that I am guessing its around the time of the Poll Tax era rather than the winter of dis-content I'm trying to see what the cars are to give a clue.

I am sure this one says "DOWN WITH POLL TAX"

crowd4.jpg
NevClarke  
#15 Posted : 24 January 2013 17:59:47(UTC)
NevClarke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Very interesting photo indeed.   There is electoral hope for Labour in Whaley yet. 

Councillor Pritchard is indeed present, quite the radical even then.  It reminded me that I had seen this and other photos from the same event before.  It was indeed 'Whaley's Anti Poll Tax Rally' from the spring of 1990 and I was holding this print and others in my hands today. 

They are of a much higher quality than the one presented here, even with Peter's enhancements.  You might expect this from a professional photographer.  They also have a very clear and unambiguous copyright notice on the reverse, with contact details which are still current.  I am sorry to report, after speaking directly to the photographer, in order to compliment them on their work being used by such an esteemed local historian, that they have not given permission for this to be reproduced.  In fact it and the others have only been displayed in public once. 

I/We would like to stress that the integrity and honesty of RSS is not being questioned in this matter.  The owner of this image has not asked for the image to be removed and they are indeed pleased that it's provoking a discussion and enjoyment.  However, they wish to remain anonymous and have asked me to liaise with Robert in an attempt to find the person or persons unknown who copied the photo, possibly others, without permission.  My email address is below and I'd be grateful if Robert would contact me even to confirm that he has no knowledge of its provenance or that he can't remember where he obtained it from.

Edited by user 24 January 2013 18:06:56(UTC)  | Reason: Odd bits of code all over the post

β€œIt all sounds like the sort of scheme Elmer Fudd might dream up while drunk.”

Nev Clarke
clarkenev@gmail.com
pensionman  
#16 Posted : 24 January 2013 23:18:07(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Good grief, are you serious Neville? This is pc gone crazy when someone places an image on the thread for no doubt a handful of people to see that it warrants such a response.Crazy, bloody crazy. I think I need to question whether I want to be part of this 'community' with such 'senior' members making comments like this. Anyway, Midnight Q playing at the Drum & Monkey tomorrow night. Bah!

High Peak Harry  
#17 Posted : 25 January 2013 07:23:14(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Copyright is copyright, however unfortunate it may seem. I have seen this from the other side where people have used an image I was linked with and the attitude was 'It's only for blah blah blah' and before you know it the item in question was used everywhere.
tyke  
#18 Posted : 25 January 2013 08:22:39(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Totally agree with you High Peak Harry. Copyright which I believe lasts 50 years and is retained with the original photographer, I agree that there is no excuse for breaking. As an amateur photographer I wouldn't want any image I had taken being used without my permission. That said it is so easy for people to use images from the web. Facebook even encourages it with the share button, Flikr is not as bad as they do encourage and respect the photographers copyright. Having said that somebody has and indeed copied it and as Nev has said those involved should help to find out how this picture found its way onto here.
wonderwhy  
#19 Posted : 25 January 2013 08:50:00(UTC)

Very worrying, hope I don’t have to share a cell with him. If so, as I only copied a copy I should get first choice of bunk.
davethescope  
#20 Posted : 25 January 2013 09:32:53(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
What is the original photographer's point? He has no objection, indeed is said to be pleased, that the photograph is been seen and discussed here. He is suffering no financial loss. If he thinks that the photograph is not of good enough quality for him to put his name to publicly, well he is anonymous.

I think that the legal principal of de minimus should be applied rather than starting a which-hunt.

Edited by user 25 January 2013 09:33:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.