logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
charlieh  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2013 10:23:40(UTC)
charlieh

Groups: Member

Dear forum members,

I hope this will act as my introduction to the forum, which I joined some while ago but was reticent about posting due to the un-moderated nature of the posts at that time.

I lived in Canal Street, Whaley Bridge from soon after I was born in 1949 until I married and moved to Stockport in 1985. Sadly the 'plane' and the canal wharf railways closed when I was too young to recall, although I believe I enjoyed looking at the railway horses in their stable at the bottom of Chapel Street. The old railway installations became our adventure playground: I remember the grooved pulleys for the chain on the plane still in place, and we would push round with our feet the big pulley that had carried the chain round at the bottom, until one of my playmates got her foot stuck, and everything was cut up and taken for scrap soon afterwards. The plane later became a track for the braver owners of 'soap-box carts'. We didn't call them that... what was it we did call them?

Fascinated by railways from an early age, as I still am, I was always interested in the history of my local lines, and for years I have been puzzled by the fact that the track layout in OS maps, and several books on the CHPR,  does not agree with what I remember - and there is never any mention of the 'diesel loco' used on the lower section, as mentioned to me by my late father who worked at the Printworks before the War. (Later he worked at the 'Meveril' where he met my mother and the rest is history!)

And now after all these years I find in a 2011 thread on this very forum ('Bridge at Whaley Canal Basin') the story of the changes that were made in the 1930s, and the fascinating fact that the locomotive still exists! I'm very keen to write an item about this for my website, and would be very pleased to hear by email (charlie@davenportstation.org.uk) from the contributors, especially George Hill, whom I remember well,  regarding permission to use their material.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to contribute to this forum.

Charlie Hulme

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/charlie.hulme/index.htm

Digger  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2013 17:20:11(UTC)
Digger

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello Charlieh,
I believe I started the thread about the bridge over the Goyt.
I uploaded two photographs, one of the bridge and one of the railway tracks still on the bridge.
If you wish to download them and use them on your website you have my permission to do so.
If you follow the link to the preserved railway engine there is a good picture of it. It may be subject to copyright so I would contact the owners before using that one.

Atb.
thanks 1 user thanked Digger for this useful post.
charlieh on 07/03/2013(UTC)