logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#41 Posted : 07 October 2009 22:23:02(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

Survey dates on OS maps are usually some time earlier than publication dates; not usually as much as 18 years though.

If, Buggyite,  you have a look at the earlier thread "The Extension To Jam Butty Hill" you will see that members have posted a number of photos of removal of the level crossing and diversion of Whaley Lane taking place. It seems that this must have been about 1894.

Edited by user 07 October 2009 22:33:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#42 Posted : 08 October 2009 08:35:53(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

buggyite wrote:

it looks to me like Whaley Lane crosses the railway at the level crossing, whereas Reservoir Road (Springbank) goes under the railway bridge as at present.

I'd always assumed that the level crossing would have been removed when the extension of the line to Buxton was opened in 1863, but this dates the removal later than that.

Good Morning Buggyite,

Of course the railway was extended before the extension to Whaley lane; even in those far off days they had a programme of works and, unlike today, usually managed to stick to it.

I’ve got to go out just now but will be back at tea time and I’ll put some photos on showing the works and the roads and these will, of course, show G Jackson is talking out of his crocodile hat.

See you later.

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#43 Posted : 08 October 2009 16:30:03(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

buggyite wrote:

In the foreground of the very interesting photo posted by Mr Stephenson-Smythe is a leat or culvert discharging into the Goyt. It seems to be too far upstream to be the tailrace from the corn mill wheel, and there appears to be another opening into the Goyt more where I'd expect it to be. So, the question is - where does the water seen issuing from the immediate foreground goat/leat/culvert come from?

Dear Mr or Mrs Buggyite,

I agree with you on this one. The opening down stream would seem to be where the corn mill water wheel would discharge and the fact that no water is seen there does not prove nor disprove what you say.

There were at least two sluices which could stop the water. So I think a field trip is now necessary to determine what, if any, evidence remains.

I might have chance tomorrow.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#44 Posted : 08 October 2009 16:35:08(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Could it have been the bywash channel, where the water was discharged when the sluice for wheel was shut? (See below for a typical example)

Edited by user 08 October 2009 16:51:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RockBanker attached the following image(s):
SnuffMill.jpg
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#45 Posted : 08 October 2009 16:54:15(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good Afternoon RB,

It could be anything I suppose. There was certainly a sluice gate just before the wheel which would allow for works to be carried out on the wheel and the water would be diverted on another path/goat. Very plausible I would think and good detective work on your part as always.
I have found a bit more information about the Corn Mill this week and it may be even older than we thought.

As I say a field trip is now required to try to locate these various discharge outlets; I think one of them at least is still visible. You may like to join me on this investigation and you can probe the Masonic Conspiracies within Whaley Bridge at the same time if you are so minded.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#46 Posted : 08 October 2009 17:18:06(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

I would be delighted to join you, but I have to keep my movements secret at the moment, after the dreadful warnings I have received. I hope that Peter is still well and enjoying his spratts. Maybe get back to you tomorrow. Of course any trip to that end of town would be incomplete without saying 'Hi' to Tony in the Goyt.. . That may swing it for me.

george  
#47 Posted : 09 October 2009 11:37:09(UTC)
george

Good morning R S-S

Re- your posting 35 I find it patronising and offensive especially coming from someone who whose strength of character inclines him to hide behind a pseudonym.

Consequently I will not be making any more postings.

george

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#48 Posted : 09 October 2009 13:02:19(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

George,

I have upset you. That much is evident.

I can not apologise enough. The very last thing I would want would be to upset anyone on here or anywhere else for that matter.

I really do not know what else I can say except that I am very, very sorry George and I hope you will reconsider your decision to leave this forum.

You are viewed as a most valued person on here.

We have had some good dialogue together and I sincerely hope that that will continue.

Once again; sorry for upsetting you George.

R. S-S
snowy  
#49 Posted : 09 October 2009 23:37:12(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I know George (although I'm another one hiding behind a pseudonym). He ran a business in Whaley for many years. He also helped me when I needed it. He still makes a great contribution to the life of the village in a lot of other ways too.

I don't know who R S-S is, but he clearly has the interests of the village at heart. He also has a deep knowledge of local history and is a talented writer.

I hope both of you keep posting. The forum would be a lot poorer without your contributions.

Fedup  
#50 Posted : 10 October 2009 20:11:57(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I don't quite know what has happpened here, but it would be a great loss to lose either George or R.S-S.

Edited by user 10 October 2009 20:12:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RockBanker  
#51 Posted : 12 October 2009 13:46:02(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

snowy wrote:

I hope both of you keep posting. The forum would be a lot poorer without your contributions.

Here here

High Peak Harry  
#52 Posted : 12 October 2009 18:14:33(UTC)
High Peak Harry

I wouldn't have thought R. S-S. would contemplate leaving this forum for a second. As you say his posts are both informative and humorous. Trumpet blowing in Furness notwithstanding!
george  
#53 Posted : 16 October 2009 10:03:17(UTC)
george

Good morning R S-S

Thank you for your posting and apology which I accept in the spirit it is given, I have no doubt you you did not intend to cause me any offense and I suggest we both rejoin the forum as before.

All the best, george

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#54 Posted : 16 October 2009 12:50:55(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Thank you, George.

That means a lot to me.

R. S-S
Bob Bowker  
#55 Posted : 16 October 2009 17:15:19(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Ref. posting #44 from RockBanker showing a diagram of Kingsmill it is now called in Settle. I know this place very well as until recently some very good friends of ours lived in one of the apartments backing onto the river in the now converted mill.

I can tell you that the Ribble romps along at that stage and on occassion rises very dramatically and rages in a frightening manner like nothing seen in Whaley. The wheel must have gone at a fair lick and probably needed the bearings changed on a regular basis. If you could harness that power there now to generate electricity you could probably light up most of Settle.

As an aside, I'm so glad that you've returned to the fold George your knowledge and contribution is most valued. I'm sure thar R S-S would be mortified that he offended you.

Take care mate

Bob

Frankie  
#56 Posted : 17 October 2009 11:46:25(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

GREAT TO HAVE YOU BACK GEORGE.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#57 Posted : 17 October 2009 12:41:44(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Bob,

Talking of wheels, and I’m no expert on wheels here is an old photo of the Little Mill at Rowarth.

Now I’ve not been up there for many years but I always thought the one there was an ‘overshot wheel’.
That is the water cascaded from above on to the wheel to turn it as opposed to an ‘undershot wheel’ where the water turned the wheel from underneath. On this photo it appears to be an ‘undershot’.

I really can’t remember the wheel at the Little Mill but I presume it is still there. Have you by chance been up there recently and is it still there and in working order?

I would be interested to know and if anybody has chance to take a photo that would be very welcome.

Bye till later on.

R. S-S

WB0376A Little Mill Rowarth by you.

Bob Bowker  
#58 Posted : 17 October 2009 13:57:30(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Hello R.S-S

I trust that you are in the rude of health on such a beautiful day.

Not been to Rowarth for many a good year so sadly cannot comment. Last time I went there some 15 years or so ago, I think we went to a restaurant there. Would that have been 'the Little Mill'?

Cheerio

Bob

george  
#59 Posted : 17 October 2009 18:40:22(UTC)
george

Evening all

Thank you everybody for the welcome back

george

High Peak Harry  
#60 Posted : 18 October 2009 07:42:14(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Yes R.S-S., the wheel is in good working order. Not sure whether any power is generated from it but if there is a few quid to be saved or made I'm sure the landlord will be onto it. If you catch my drift! They actually use that picture on their website. An updated one of course.