logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CllrJonG  
#1 Posted : 07 July 2009 20:02:14(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

RSS has sent me three photographs to place on the forum. They relate to a recent discussion about Whaley Bridges water powered corn mill.

These are fantastic photos, and really do show how much changes over the years. I find it really hard to get my bearings in some of these old photos - it is like looking at a completely different village.

Cheers

Jon

CllrJonG attached the following image(s):
rss_bot_whaley_lane_lowres.jpg
rss_cornmill_lowres.jpg
rss_whaley_pic2_lowres.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2009 21:43:56(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Cllr JonG,

Thank you so much for doing that for me, I really appreciate it.

I may start to change my mind about Councillors, well some of them at any rate. Well maybe; when is Jake back?

There is much to say about these three photos but I have things to do this evening that can not be put off.

JonG I shall send you the follow up photos to those that you have uploaded and they are equally interesting. Well maybe to a couple of people anyway. Or perhaps nobody.

How are you with a pickaxe, shovel and a wooden wheelbarrow JohnG?

I’ll explain in photographic history later this week.

Thank you once again Jon.

R. S-S
Mikeann  
#3 Posted : 08 July 2009 08:40:18(UTC)
Mikeann

Dear R. S-S,

I think you do yourself a diservice in saying that the pictures (and tales) may only be interesting to a few. I may be making judgements for others, but I believe that many people, who do not have the length of history in the village(?) ( like myself only 15 years ) are interested and avidly await your next surprises

Regards

RockBanker  
#4 Posted : 08 July 2009 09:40:45(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Again, very interesting photographs - thank RSS. I hate to burden the volunteer admins of this site with extra work, but would it be possible to collect all the submitted photo's into a gallery on this site?

Cheers

RB

Edited by user 08 July 2009 09:42:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
CllrJonG  
#5 Posted : 08 July 2009 10:29:11(UTC)
CllrJonG

Hi,

This is something we did think of, and which was discussed briefly at our last admin meeting. It would require some time and effort being invested by  Trusted IT, who generously host the site for us, but I think we are all agreed that it would be a very informative addition to the forum, or website. As I say, it relies on the efforts and goodwill of volunteers, who already have full-time jobs. I will bring this up again at the next admin meeting.

Cheers

Jon.

Gnatalee  
#6 Posted : 08 July 2009 11:56:55(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi all

Once again
R.S-S has found some cracking photos for us !!

I know where we are on the first one - can see the blacksmiths (R.S-S's very own) through the railway bridge. The mill itself looks a very imposing building, but the last photo has me very puzzled. At first I thought it was Bridge Street from the corner of Canal Street but some of the buildings look the "wrong way round" ! Need some help on this one R.S-S 

Gnats

Edited by user 08 July 2009 11:59:34(UTC)  | Reason: Getting too fussy in old age !

Horwich Ender  
#7 Posted : 08 July 2009 17:44:19(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Yet again more brilliant photographs.

How any local councillor could even consider censoring the posts from R. S-S is beyond me.

Please keep posting R. S-S as I am sure the majority of visitors to this Forum are amused, educated and informed by your comments.

Nigel  
#8 Posted : 08 July 2009 19:10:41(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Good evening R. S-S.

Would I be correct in saying that the third photograph was taken from Canal Street and is looking down Bridge Street with the Goyt Inn on the opposite side of the road from the person in the picture?  Was it called the Goyt Inn in those days? 

CllrJonG  
#9 Posted : 08 July 2009 20:58:27(UTC)
CllrJonG

Hi,

I had a wander down this evening to try and identify the place. Is the corn mill still there behind the vets, or am I looking in entirely the wrong place. There is a dorr in a wall with some stonework that looks very similar in places. The door in the wall is just down the little walkway at the right hand side of the Goyt Inn. You can see what i mean in the picture.

Jon.

poss corn mill.jpg

CllrJonG  
#10 Posted : 08 July 2009 21:06:25(UTC)
CllrJonG

Hi,

Gnatalee and Nigel are I think correct:

Jon

canalstbridgest.jpg
rss_whaley_pic2_lowres.jpg

wily  
#11 Posted : 09 July 2009 09:25:13(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Great photo's councillor Jon.

I know that dealing in local politics the Gay vote is very topical and important to you but with reference to the street name in the second picture, was the positioning of the camera angle a deliberate attempt to attract the “Pink Pound” to Whaley ?

CllrJonG  
#12 Posted : 09 July 2009 09:44:43(UTC)
CllrJonG

Maybe I should go and take some strategic photos of Eccles Close to present a more balanced view.

Cheers

Jon.

Gnatalee  
#13 Posted : 09 July 2009 11:13:10(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi Jon

Thanks for taking the photo of Bridge Street - it seems to me that in the old photo only the lower cottages near the bridge are originals - the other half of the modern-day cottages    (check the chimneys !) seem to be totally different buildings - two gable ends with a chimney a-top each one (wobbly ones at that !!). 

I may be wrong, but thinking about what R.S-S said about the water being re-directed, would the corn mill be up-river of the bridge on Bridge Street?

Come on R.S-S, don't keep us hanging on. Love this picture but do you have any ideas when this was taken please?

Best wishes

Gnats

Edited by user 09 July 2009 11:16:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#14 Posted : 09 July 2009 12:10:19(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Mr Wily,

I must say that is a very perceptive and highly amusing post. No doubt when the penny drops with one or two of our councillors and the forum police Jon’s photo will be removed.

I would also advise you against painting out the first letter of the word ‘street’ or you really will be in trouble.

R. S-S

wily wrote:

Great photo's councillor Jon.

I know that dealing in local politics the Gay vote is very topical and important to you but with reference to the street name in the second picture, was the positioning of the camera angle a deliberate attempt to attract the “Pink Pound” to Whaley ?

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#15 Posted : 09 July 2009 13:16:26(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello everyone,

I am very pleased to see the positive response to the photos that JonG has put on here for me. I honestly thought there would be little interest.

I sent the three photos originally to our Town Clerk to highlight some parts of Whaley I had been discussing with her and she asked if JonG could put them on this forum. Certainly no problem for me.

We were discussing the corn mill on Bridge Street and how the Victorians devised a system to get power using the river.

They took the water from out of the Park via a sluice gate and it travelled along a ‘goat’ to turn the water wheel and then the river water simply cascaded back into the river. Brilliant.

The first photo shows the goat at the side of the Railway Pub and was in those days a stone wall. It is now iron railings.

The second photo shows the back of the corn mill and the ‘undershot’ water wheel.

The third photo is simply Bridge Street as it was in the days of the corn mill.

I’ll give you some more information on the corn mill at a later date.

Another interesting feature of the first photo is that when you look down Reservoir Road you can not turn up Whaley Lane. That’s because it did not exist. There were some cottages built there which were demolished at a later date so that Whaley Lane could turn down and go under the pictured bridge. At the time this photo was taken you came down Whaley Lane and went across the level crossing and down the Jodrell/Station approach to get into Whaley.
Hence, even today when you turn off Market Street you do not go on to Whaley Lane but Reservoir Road and as you drive the thirty or so yards when you actually turn right on to Whaley Lane and the traffic coming down Reservoir Road has to give way.

I can not off hand think of another situation where traffic travelling on a straight road has to give way to traffic turning right in front of it.

I will send JonG photos of the excavation works to complete the bottom section of the Lane as soon as I have time. Certainly next week.

Hope that makes things clearer for everyone.

R. S-S

RockBanker  
#16 Posted : 09 July 2009 13:36:19(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Thanks RSS - These pictures are great, and I really appreciate the explainations. In case anyone is wondering about Goats, Goyts etc they all come from the old english word Gota for watercourse, which also gives us the word Gutter

Fuller derivation:  1280, Anglo-Norman gotere, from O.Fr. guitere, from goute "a drop," from L. gutta. Originally "a watercourse," later "furrow made by running water" (1586). Meaning "trough under the eaves of a roof to carry off rainwater" is from 1354. Figurative sense of "low, profane" is from 1818.  ( http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=gutter )

Edited by user 09 July 2009 13:42:16(UTC)  | Reason: More

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#17 Posted : 09 July 2009 14:00:10(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello RB,

If you have been keeping up, and I am sure you have, you will know that there is an old term “goit or goyt” which describes a man made water channel. There are many such channels in Whaley and Horwich End. The canal feeder from Combs Lake that ends up at The Wharf in Whaley is one such construction and the longest one that I know of round here.
Locally goits have always been known as goats and the only possible reason, which has been on here before, is because Botany Works had several goits and these had to be kept clean and well maintained. If the factory manager said to half a dozen of his men: “Go and clean out the goit” he might expect to find them waste deep in the river anywhere between Whaley and Stockport. So the local pronunciation of ‘goat’ was introduced to avoid any confusion to the workforce.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#18 Posted : 18 July 2009 10:22:30(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Nigel wrote:

Good evening R. S-S.

Would I be correct in saying that the third photograph was taken from Canal Street and is looking down Bridge Street with the Goyt Inn on the opposite side of the road from the person in the picture?  Was it called the Goyt Inn in those days? 

Good morning Nigel,

I had missed your post completely. That was very remiss of me and I apologise for not replying to you much earlier. The third picture is indeed taken looking down Bridge Street and the Goyt Inn is, as you say, opposite where the person is standing.
I do not know if the Goyt Inn ever had another name, I will try to find out for you, but I am fairly certain that there was another ‘named’ hostelry somewhere in that area. Whether it was the Goyt or not I am unsure.

Certainly the watering hole closest to the Goyt was The Old Tankard which was converted into a pub from the Corn Mill House which later became my blacksmith’s and later still the magnificent Whaley Bridge Cinema, The Princess or the flea pit as it was known locally. Then it became Taxal Church Hall, then Burgons, then the Spa and now the Co-Op Pharmacist’s.

Apologies if I have missed any other retailer off the list.

Many pubs used to regularly change their name so it is a bit difficult keeping up and sometimes you will hear a pub name and think you’ve never heard of such a place but in reality you were propping the bar up only last week.

Of course many inns and pubs have long since disappeared from Whaley as we discussed on the last forum.

If I get chance later today I will see how many of Whaley Bridge Public Houses have changed their names or have been more commonly known by another name. I’ll start it under a new topic and I’ll just name a few and see if anyone adds to the list. That’s if anybody reads it in the first place.

So I shall speak to you later on here Nigel.

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#19 Posted : 19 July 2009 11:35:16(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello again Nigel,

Just a little bit of info to add to the history of Whaley Bridge and concerning your Goyt Inn.

In the 1930’s The Goyt Inn was owned by Walker and Humphries Brewery and they only had an ale and wine licence. Spirits were definitely not allowed.

But just as today pubs bent the rules a bit and whisky was available from under the counter at certain times.

I suspect it was probably after Council meetings.

R. S-S
High Peak Harry  
#20 Posted : 19 July 2009 11:53:46(UTC)
High Peak Harry

"I suspect it was probably after Council meetings."

You're brave aren't you, I expect if you peer through the net curtains the Gestapo will be marching up the path to cart you off.