logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thechaddlad  
#1 Posted : 03 November 2013 13:15:48(UTC)
thechaddlad

Groups: Member
United Kingdom

why is it that we have a car par near the doctors but people park on the roads around the old trans shipment warehouse making it difficult for some of the large lorries to get down to the industrial estate too lazy perhaps to walk an extra ten yards this is an accident waiting to happen i live on Bingswood ave and have problems myself with parking i'snt it time we stopped this parking near the post office to come on join me in trying to free up Whaley of parked cars in our streets 
UnrealCity  
#2 Posted : 03 November 2013 23:44:06(UTC)
UnrealCity

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thechaddlad Go to Quoted Post
why is it that we have a car par near the doctors but people park on the roads around the old trans shipment warehouse making it difficult for some of the large lorries to get down to the industrial estate too lazy perhaps to walk an extra ten yards this is an accident waiting to happen i live on Bingswood ave and have problems myself with parking i'snt it time we stopped this parking near the post office to come on join me in trying to free up Whaley of parked cars in our streets 

My understanding is that the Tom Brad's Croft car park is usually full during the daytime, so much so that elderly, infirm and ill patients visiting the surgery often cannot find a space to park. They park in the nearest available spot. Tourists and other visitors do the same. The area near the canal is not restricted or controlled, and provides for the safe parking of several cars away from the Bingswood Ave entrance.

In my opinion, Whaley Bridge desperately needs more car parking. A lot of the cars parked in Tom Bad's Croft are there all day, thus depriving short term users a safe and convenient place to park. Ideally we would have segregated parking for short & long term, but then there is the issue of regulation. 

There is the possibility of other spaces becoming available, but that will inevitably come with a cost, so charges would have to be introduced.

Any thoughts?
Cllr Martin Thomas
Chair Whaley Bridge Town Council
Member for Yeardsley Ward
pensionman  
#3 Posted : 04 November 2013 00:16:01(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
We should consider having adopting a permit structure that's given to Whaley free of charge to Whaley folk & employ a charging policy for those that stay, say for over 2 hours (discuss). Parking & driving is  so difficult in Whaley. Here we go, how about a tunnel road from about  Stanways to Horwich End for just wide-birth & HGV vehicles & buses. After-all our 'village' has a mining heritage (24 marks).

I was stuck for 15 minutes in a log jam outside the Cock Inn/Garage enjoying two 199's coming through, with a 62 in hot persuit with a cementer wagon a poor 4th (Honest!). Local Estate Agents should make prospective buyer aware of this for the sake of the potential school run & day to day travelling harmony in our 'village'. I'll get my coat.
Whaley Laner  
#4 Posted : 06 November 2013 13:49:22(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Originally Posted by: UnrealCity Go to Quoted Post

Any thoughts?

Yes. Please read my post no. 11 in the Public spirited Adeva topic.
UnrealCity  
#5 Posted : 06 November 2013 23:43:50(UTC)
UnrealCity

Man

Originally Posted by: Whaley Laner Go to Quoted Post
The parking problem in the village could be solved if the parking on Market Street, Canal Street, Old Road, Tom Brad's car park and the Jodrell Arms car park was restricted, and enforced, to a maximum stay of 2 hours. This would free up parking spaces which are taken by walkers who would need to use the car park at Tesco's. The benefit to walkers would be they would be encouraged to walk down the delightful canal towpath to the canal basin which would be a great advertisement for Whaley Bridge. Changes to parking would require the approval of High Peak Borough Council .......
There is one further group of users of these car parks, and that that is those who live and work in the town centre. It is not just walkers who park all day. This is why I believe there is a need for a long term car park. Lastly, can I add we are looking at this subject as part of the Neighbourhood Plan.
Cllr Martin Thomas
UnrealCity  
#6 Posted : 06 November 2013 23:45:33(UTC)
UnrealCity

Man

pensionman and Whaley Laner - Thank you both for the suggestions!
Cllr Martin Thomas
Wanderer returns  
#7 Posted : 07 November 2013 05:03:51(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I think it may have been mentioned before but the Bowling Club has a huge car park which is generally underused. It would make a considerable difference if it could be opened for "drop off" at school in the morning, I realise that in the afternoon during the summer months the car par will be used by those playing in the bowling matches but it is less of a problem then as it's not rush hour.

I know that will be private land but could some agreement not be made?

The problem of cars commandeering spaces for the whole of the day is a major problem - it discourages people from using the shops in the village as there is nowhere to park hence the success of Tesco and the application for additional retail units there. The shops in the village are fabulous, I'm lucky enough to be fit enough and healthy enough to walk down when I need something but the main reason for doing this is that so many times I have not been able to park.

A solution will not be easy to find but it really is time that the problem was addressed. I hope this will not be moderated out for being too controversial as it is not intended that way.
G. Jackson  
#8 Posted : 07 November 2013 17:47:22(UTC)
G. Jackson

Pensionman....I believe we discussed this before. The car park at the bowling Club belongs to the Bowling Club. If they want to let anyone use it, it should be up to them to come up with the suggestion not an outsider (like you or anyone else). Maybe if I were to suggest that cars could be parked on your drive when you didn't use it, ( i.e. when you went on holiday or went to work) you would understand the implications of your silly remarks.

G.J..

Edited by user 07 November 2013 17:48:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

THE CROW  
#9 Posted : 08 November 2013 06:58:12(UTC)
THE CROW

Mr Jackson how rude of you to speak to somebody in that way.This person was merely making a suggestion,one which I agree with by the way.As someone once said to me"If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all".And as a final note I have an idea,why don't people park at Tesco and walk up the towpath into Whaley,job done.
pensionman  
#10 Posted : 08 November 2013 09:03:19(UTC)
pensionman

Thank you for your constructive comments. I'm fairly certain that you would not approach a person in the street with such rudeness without coming off with ticking off, or worse, a fat ear. It is very easy to type some vitriol from the safety of your front room which is so prevailent these days. Why don't you make yourself a cup of tea & watch a few old clips of Tommy Cooper to lighten up your day? Oh yes, can I suggest you re-read this thread with regards to my alleged suggestions of the use of the Bowling Club's car park, as I they were not of my creation?

Edited by user 08 November 2013 09:06:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MrTrueman  
#11 Posted : 08 November 2013 10:31:26(UTC)
MrTrueman

Groups: Administration

Can we keep the thread on track please!

Leaving now
Regards,

Mr Trueman

Whaleybridge.com Volunteer

Whaley Bridge website needs your help. Please email us your local news and events.
http://www.whaleybridge.com/contact/

Please support our local Computer Company, Trusted IT they provide this forum for all to use.
http://www.trustedit.co.uk
G. Jackson  
#12 Posted : 08 November 2013 10:31:32(UTC)
G. Jackson

Sorry Pensionman, the comment was intended for Wanderer returns,.and now a message for The Crow; Tesco's car park belongs to Tesco and they intend it to be used by their shoppers, like them or not, Tesco didn't build a car park for visitors to Whaley Bridge,
as for the comments " if you have nothing good to say  etc."   that is for sheep who just follow others and don't have an opinion.
My parents taught me:-

Speak up and if you're not heard. SHOUT
Wanderer returns  
#13 Posted : 08 November 2013 13:42:34(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Dear Mr Jackson,

I find you quite rude, it was only a suggestion - I'm not an outsider, not that this should make any difference. I'm not going to engage in comments to and fro with you as there is obviously no point. Comments like yours are the very reason I stopped posting on here some time ago and guess what? I'm going to stop a again thank to you!

Whaley Wanderer  
#14 Posted : 08 November 2013 14:59:09(UTC)
Whaley Wanderer

I think if we were to implement charges in the car parks ( free for the first 2 hours) then we'd certainly free up some spaces in the centre for shoppers.
I tend to shop at tescos partly because of parking issues, but also most days when I get home from work, the shops have closed. Whilst a shop opening longer hours would probably get more custom, whether it was cost effective (or feasible ) is a different matter.
However, if car park charges were brought in, where would the rail commuters who currently park outside the jodrell go? Not too far probably and the roads would probably clog up with cars and cause the problems we currently have outside Whaley primary school.

@wanderer returns - every village has its idiot, why should you stop posting because of one?
thanks 1 user thanked Whaley Wanderer for this useful post.
Wanderer returns on 08/11/2013(UTC)
Wanderer returns  
#15 Posted : 08 November 2013 17:55:58(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Thanks Whaley Wanderer - I did wonder if I was just being sensitive!! Evidently not
pensionman  
#16 Posted : 08 November 2013 23:51:01(UTC)
pensionman

Nice end to this thread, all friends, just as it should be in our fantastic village/town (what are we, a village or town?  Discuss  24 marks).

Is there another thread on this subject? (4 marks).
Jack  
#17 Posted : 09 November 2013 13:55:45(UTC)
Jack

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pensionman Go to Quoted Post
Nice end to this thread, all friends, just as it should be in our fantastic village/town (what are we, a village or town?  Discuss  24 marks).

Whaley used to be a village now its a town full of lazy townies with two cars...............parking problem??????????
Janep  
#18 Posted : 09 November 2013 15:17:35(UTC)
Janep

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Noticed one afternoon this week when battling through the lazy parent / child zone outside whaley school that one old guy in a dark blue discovery chose to park on the pavement by the traffic lights thus obstructing the whole of the path . Where are the police in these situations ?
snowy  
#19 Posted : 10 November 2013 11:21:33(UTC)
snowy

Parking is really a problem in the centre of Whaley, unless there is wholesale redevelopment of the Market St area, and no-one wants that.

One or two suggestions (but I've no idea how practical they may be):

1. Is it possible to use the land behind the White Hart?

2. Could the land by the canal warehouse (between the canal and the main road) be used?

3. Is there any spare land in the Wharf Road area?

4. Is it possible to extend the existing car park at Tom Brad's Croft by constructing a concrete cover over the river?

I'd be quite happy to have a pay and display system to help pay for new car parks, with similar charges to those in Buxton. The existing residents permits could be used.

There would have to be some arrangement for free parking when visiting the medical centre. Also for people who live in the centre of the village.

OK, I know none of it will happen!

Edited by user 10 November 2013 11:23:19(UTC)  | Reason: Grammar

UnrealCity  
#20 Posted : 15 November 2013 01:09:28(UTC)
UnrealCity

Man

Originally Posted by: snowy Go to Quoted Post
Parking is really a problem in the centre of Whaley, unless there is wholesale redevelopment of the Market St area, and no-one wants that.

One or two suggestions (but I've no idea how practical they may be):

1. Is it possible to use the land behind the White Hart?

2. Could the land by the canal warehouse (between the canal and the main road) be used?

3. Is there any spare land in the Wharf Road area?

4. Is it possible to extend the existing car park at Tom Brad's Croft by constructing a concrete cover over the river?

I'd be quite happy to have a pay and display system to help pay for new car parks, with similar charges to those in Buxton. The existing residents permits could be used.

There would have to be some arrangement for free parking when visiting the medical centre. Also for people who live in the centre of the village.

OK, I know none of it will happen!

Regarding 2. The Canal & River Trust has indicated that this might be possible, but on a pay & display basis. There would be highways & planning issues to resolve.

I will take all these ideas to the Neighbourhood Plan Group. Thanks!

Edited by user 15 November 2013 01:10:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cllr Martin Thomas