logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JonG  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2014 02:13:03(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I attended the HPBC Full Council Meeting tonight at the Pavillion Gardens, Buxton.
The vote regarding whether HPBC should retain site C9 in the local plan or remove it was held.
17 Councillors supported removal from the plan, but 18 supported retention,so unfortunately , site C9 remains in the local Plan.
Councillors Pritchard, Lomax, and Leather were all present, all spoke, and all voted to remove it from the plan. 

Councillor Pritchard also proposed an amendment to the annual number of houses to be built in the High Peak from now till 2031 , proposing that it be lowered from 360 to 325. This was again defeated , with 18 opposing and 17 supporting.
Our three Borough Councillors did their best for us tonight, the vote was very close, but  it did not go the way we hoped.

I should add that well over 60 members of the public attended the meeting, most from Whaley Matters, and that they behaved extremely professionally despite the vote going the wrong way. The organizing committee should be commended for their organization, and for the quality of the searching questions they have been asking HPBC and will undoubtedly continue to ask. There will now be a further period of consultation , during which it will remain possible to question the evidence base.

Jon.

Edited by user 19 March 2014 09:10:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
davethescope  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2014 08:19:58(UTC)
davethescope

Groups: Member
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
So, in effect, one person made the decision. And thy call it democracy :-(

Edited by user 19 March 2014 09:19:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
tarboat  
#3 Posted : 19 March 2014 11:26:55(UTC)
tarboat

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: davethescope Go to Quoted Post
So, in effect, one person made the decision. And thy call it democracy :-(

It certainly is a form of representative democracy. In fact 17 people voted one way and 18 another way. The majority won the day and the decision was taken by the 18 not the one person that you suggest.
RockBanker  
#4 Posted : 19 March 2014 13:10:01(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
JonG  
#5 Posted : 19 March 2014 13:59:50(UTC)
JonG

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Wow - I left (as did many others) once the C9 site had been discussed and they had voted to keep it in the plan. It was already 10.22 by that point and I had a pool match to get to. It looks like I missed  a rather key moment in this whole debacle, just as I ended up missing my pool match.
Thanks Rockbanker for the post.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
RockBanker  
#6 Posted : 19 March 2014 17:13:50(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I read this.

http://www.highpeak.gov....-local-plan-in-spotlight

As far as I can see it can be boiled down to

(1) An independent assessment of the High Peak's housing needs requires  420-470 new houses to be built each year.
(2) The current Local Plan, even if all sites were included, would provide around 
360 new houses each year.
(3) The Local Plan would not be approved by central government if the housing numbers did not closely approach those of the independent assessment.
(3) If the Local Plan fails to be approved then control over planning matters would be taken away from the council.

I hope some who are wiser in these things could tell me:

(1) If my summary is correct
(2) Who this "independent assessor" is? - Who are they answerable to?  Can its calculations be challenged?
(3) Who would take control of planning matters if they were taken from the council? Would they be in any way answerable to the people of the borough?  

Edited by user 19 March 2014 17:16:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
Horwich Ender  
#7 Posted : 26 March 2014 17:46:05(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good afternoon RockBanker.

Regrettably I do not know the answers to your questions but I am not alone as even the leader of High Peak Borough Council, Caitlin Bisknell is quoted as saying “ We're not sure where we go from here.”

What we do know is councillors voted not to accept the Local Plan despite Glossop Godfrey proposing that members accept the submission version of the document as the authority had no choice but to implement a Local Plan.

Chairman Jon The Whaley One has confirmed Whaley's three Borough Councillor's voted against the inclusion of C9 and some of what they had to say is detailed here:

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/back-to-square-one-1-6513902

Gladman's application to build 107 houses has now been submitted to HPBC and time will tell whether another housing estate will be built in Horwich End but, as the Buxton Advertiser article states, the whole saga of the Local Plan has now descended into farce.

Whaley Laner  
#8 Posted : 28 March 2014 12:54:59(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Horwich Ender Go to Quoted Post
the leader of High Peak Borough Council, Caitlin Bisknell is quoted as saying “ We're not sure where we go from here.”

Clueless! And this lady from Shropshire thinks she should be our MP!

Full marks to councillors Linda Leather, David Lomax and John Pritchard for speaking out and supporting their constituents.
Jonny Summers  
#9 Posted : 28 March 2014 17:06:33(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Apart from the vocal MINORITY, who says they are supporting their constituents? If the people of Whaley really think that everything is OK with the number of houses we have in the area, then let no one complain about the lack of social / affordable housing!!! Where are our children to live in the future? This should be a reasoned logical debate, not just (as canalboat said) Whaley matters....when it suits
davethescope  
#10 Posted : 28 March 2014 17:26:36(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Jonny Summers Go to Quoted Post
Apart from the vocal MINORITY, who says they are supporting their constituents?

Jonny.  It si the nature of representative democracy that a representative can only support those of his representees who articulate their views.   There is no way he can represent a "silent majority"

Quote:
If the people of Whaley really think that everything is OK with the number of houses we have in the area, then let no one complain about the lack of social / affordable housing!!!

And if the people of Whaley are unhappy with the number of houses let them lobby their representatives en masse.  If two thousand inhabitants signed a petition in favour of C9 and marched through Whaley with banners I am sure that David Lomax, Jon Goldfinch et all would reconsider their support.  Why don't you organize it?
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Jonny Summers  
#11 Posted : 28 March 2014 18:06:39(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Sorry Dave, you miss the point. Where have I ever said that I'm in favour of this development?....so why should I organise any protest in favour of it? The point I've tried to make (several times now) is that I'm fed up being told that the people of Whaley Bridge are against it: this is far from the truth & certainly not democracy!!! The "word" on everybodies lips is NIMBY!!! It would be interesting to see how many people of the Whaley Matters group would still be involved if the planning proposal was moved to "Whaley Lane"?
davethescope  
#12 Posted : 28 March 2014 20:00:51(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Sorry Dave, you miss the point. Where have I ever said that I'm in favour of this development?

Sorry, Jonny, I was confusing your sentiments with those of Canalboat.

Quote:
The point I've tried to make (several times now) is that I'm fed up being told that the people of Whaley Bridge are against it: this is far from the truth & certainly not democracy!!!

But my substantive point stands.  In our representative democracy the representatives can only take on board the views of those who are prepared to stand up and be counted.   They can't make any assumption about the views of the "silent majority".  It would be outrageous and certainly not democratic if David Lomax and co took the view that most people in Whaley are silently happy with C9 so we will support it despite the vocal protests. 

Quote:
The "word" on everybodies lips is NIMBY!!! It would be interesting to see how many people of the Whaley Matters group would still be involved if the planning proposal was moved to "Whaley Lane"?

Not on my lips - since I live a mile or more from the site - though I am opposed to the C9 development.  And I would equally oppose a development on Whaley Lane
Whaley Laner  
#13 Posted : 31 March 2014 13:15:45(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Apart from the vocal MINORITY, who says they are supporting their constituents? If the people of Whaley really think that everything is OK with the number of houses we have in the area, then let no one complain about the lack of social / affordable housing!!! Where are our children to live in the future? This should be a reasoned logical debate, not just (as canalboat said) Whaley matters....when it suits

Davethescope is correct when he says a representative can only support those of his representees who articulate their views. How can a councillor represent a silent majority when they don't know what they want? Jon Goldfinch has already told us that if residents didn't respond to the HPBC consultation via the council website then HPBC would assume the non responders don't care and are a neutral vote. Of the residents who do care and took the time and effort to respond to the consultation 94% were against the proposed C9 development and it was entirely appropriate for councillors Linda Leather, David Lomax and John Pritchard to speak out as they did - well done to them. Jonny Summers raises a very important question when he asks where are our children to live in the future? The lack of affordable housing is an enormous problem in this country brought about by the previous Labour government. Since 1997 planning policies have been tightened due to Tony Blair buckling to pressure from the green lobby whilst at the same time net immigration was spiralling upwards. A combination of fewer houses being built and an increasing population for 13 years is a recipe for rising house prices and a national housing crisis especially for the young and the poor in society. The housing crisis can be solved as there are plenty of brownfield sites on which houses can be built but the profits from building on brownfield sites are less than on greenfield sites so developers will try all they can to build on land like C9. Developers will eventually build on brownfield sites because there is still profit in doing so but it is vital that local councils continue to object to building on greenfield sites because once built on they are lost forever.     

Jonny Summers  
#14 Posted : 31 March 2014 18:16:03(UTC)
Jonny Summers

In that case shouldn't HPBC, WBTC & especially Whaley Matters (on behalf of the WHOLE of Whaley Bridge) identify these brownfield sites & publicly put these forward as genuine alternatives to C9? Just talking about brown before greenfield does not stop developments and does not help the lack of housing
Kippax  
#15 Posted : 01 April 2014 09:43:26(UTC)
Kippax

Originally Posted by: Whaley Laner Go to Quoted Post
The housing crisis can be solved as there are plenty of brownfield sites on which houses can be built.      

Where are these sites in Whaley Bridge? There are lots of people objecting to building but not many suggesting alternative sites. 
davethescope  
#16 Posted : 01 April 2014 17:16:06(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Kippax Go to Quoted Post
Where are these sites in Whaley Bridge? There are lots of people objecting to building but not many suggesting alternative sites. 

Firstly I have to admit \\that |\i do not know if the landowner has to agree before a site can be included in the local plan.  Jon has tried to find this out from HPBC planning department but they would not give a definitive answer preferring to fob us off with platitudes.

With that proviso I would suggest the following sites.
1.  The area north of the existing Hockerley estate as far as Ringstones Clough.  This could be accessed both through the existing estate and from Ringstones industrial estate
2.  The area behind Botham's Hall, accessible from the roundabout.
3. North of Ringstones Clough on the east side of the A6, again accessible from the Ringstones industrial estate

All three of these sites have the advantage of being on the Stockport side of Whaley so that commuter traffic would not clog the village.  But school traffic might unless the development included a new school.
Jonny Summers  
#17 Posted : 01 April 2014 18:11:31(UTC)
Jonny Summers

...and are these Brownfield Sites??? I've no idea, but they don't seem to be; perhaps someone could enlighten us?
Whaley Laner  
#18 Posted : 02 April 2014 09:13:04(UTC)
Whaley Laner

We know Labour councillors on HPBC are trying to vote through unwanted developments in Whaley Bridge whilst Chapel residents are blaming New Mills and Whaley Bridge for the collapse of the Local Plan but lets not forget the recent major building developments which have already been completed despite some local opposition - 

Botany Cottages – the former site of Botany Bleach Works.

Cotton Close – opposite the Drum and Monkey.

Cromford and Alpha Mews – the former Kenfab site.

Meveril Estate – the former site of Meveril Springs Works.

The Coppice – opposite the entrance to Vista Engineering.

The Sidings – Land west of the railway station.

Woodbrook Estate – the former site of Goyt Mill.

Land which I think should be considered for development before C9 -

Bings Road – Land adjacent to the east of Bings Road between numbers 25 and 61

Bings Road – Field north of Spire House and west of Bings Road.

Bridgemont- Land behind the former Dog and Partridge east of the railway line.

Buxton Road -  Land north of The Carrs between the railway line and former Cromford and High                Peak Railway. 

Buxton Road – Land between the railway and west of Buxton Road from Hares & Graces to the Bridgemont turning.

Caldene Terrace – Gisbourne Yard – to include footpath access under the railway and along the former Cromford and High Peak railway for pedestrians.

Carrs Field – Land east of Buxton Road and south of Chapel Road behind the old Bank.

Chapel Road – the three cornered field between Chapel Road and Elnor Lane.

Elnor Lane – Land to the east but adjacent to Elnor Lane above the garden nursery.

Hoggs Yard – Between Tesco and river Goyt – to include a bridge to Bingswood Industrial Estate.

Reservoir Road – Land south of Reservoir Road between the memorial park and up to Toddbrook Sailing Club.

Whaley Lane – Land adjacent to the road and east of the former Anisca Nursing Home.

Wharf Road – where the garages and Plant Furnishings former buildings are located.

None of theses sites are ideal and objections can be found for all of them but it's my opinion they are all more appropriate than C9. Remember HPBC are not obliged to allow the building of any houses in Whaley Bridge. They have the option of liaising with neighbouring Council's to see if they are prepared to accept some of High Peaks quota. I don't know what discussions have taken place with Derbyshire Dales, Cheshire East, Stockport, Tameside, Oldham or Staffordshire Moorlands councils but the fact that Caitlin Bisknell, Godfrey Claff and the other Labour Borough Councillors can't agree between themselves I doubt whether any meaningful negotiations have taken place.
davethescope  
#19 Posted : 05 April 2014 18:04:29(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

>>Bings Road – Land adjacent to the east of Bings Road between numbers 25 and 61
I own most of that land and the only building I would tolerate there would be new stables or a single luxury house for my own retirement :-)

>>Bings Road – Field north of Spire House and west of Bings Road.
Hedley Plant applied for permission for 13 houses on that site some twenty years ago. The application went to appeal and the inspector turned it down on grounds of access. Bings Road has much worse access, especially for pedestrians, than C9 where Linlongs Road could easily be widened.
Horwich Ender  
#20 Posted : 08 April 2014 16:02:43(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon.

Another High Peak Borough Council extraordinary meeting has been arranged for this evening.

It will be interesting to see what cunning plan Buxton Bisknell and Glossop Godfrey have got in store tonight.

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/councillors-set-to-consider-high-peak-local-plan-1-6546491