logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fedup  
#41 Posted : 17 September 2009 19:12:29(UTC)
Fedup

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Well my dear Arfur Mow - I am well and truly educated by your wise words. I could have told you that the cormorant has only recently decided to come inland and that it is mainly a seabird. What has that got to do with anything? Do you think that one cormorant, even though it can eat its own body weight in fish, is going to empty the reservoir?

As for the hooks being removed gently and carefully - you obviously have a less cynical mind than I do, and a touching faith in the kindness of humans.

And finally, dear Arfur, hooks is hooks and were not invented to be kind.

Edited by user 17 September 2009 19:14:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG  
#42 Posted : 18 September 2009 02:15:09(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi Fedup

I think inland cormorants are out of place pests, and they have no place on Toddbrook reservoir. If they were fish eagles or ospreys, i am sure even the anglers would welcome them, but inland cormorants are just like suburban seagulls hovering round rubbish tips.

##############

Cormorants can grow up to a metre long and are about the size of a goose, with a maximum lifespan of 23 years.

Last year(2003 -cllrjong), Defra granted 135 licences to kill cormorants and 445 of the birds were shot. Currently fisheries must prove that they have tried to scare the birds away and provided refuges for fish before they can apply for a licence to shoot them. But the new regime could make it far easier to gain a licence to shoot the birds.

A Defra spokeswoman said: "Defra is actively considering measures that will increase the level of licences to kill cormorants at local levels. This measure may well help fishery owners and angling clubs deal with the increasing problem of predation by cormorants."

Martin Salter MP, the Government's official adviser on angling and shooting, said the "cormorant is a lethal killing machine" and a widespread cull was now necessary.

"They can eat up to 2lbs of fish a day which means they take up to 30,000 tons of fish a year. Whole fisheries could be cleaned out of stock," he said.

################

For Fishermen there is a possible upside - Captive cormorants in Japan and coastal China have been trained for fishing. When used for this purpose, the birds are tethered by tying a line to one of their feet, and their neck is constricted by a ring, so the cormorant can catch fish but not swallow them.

Although this is not as much fun as real fishing, catching your cormorant in the first place might prove to be much more exhilerating.

I attach a couple of documents which go into more detail about these pests, and pests are what  they should really be viewed as.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 18 September 2009 02:44:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
protectingfisherya4_615574.pdf (541kb) downloaded 24 time(s).
Cormorants_Facts_March_06.pdf (3,071kb) downloaded 21 time(s).
CllrJonG attached the following image(s):
cormorant.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
parabuild  
#43 Posted : 18 September 2009 07:23:35(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Martin Salter MP, the Government's official adviser on angling and shooting, said the "cormorant is a lethal killing machine" and a widespread cull was now necessary.

"They can eat up to 2lbs of fish a day which means they take up to 30,000 tons of fish a year. Whole fisheries could be cleaned out of stock," he said.

I think Martin Salter should buy himself a new calculator

High Peak Harry  
#44 Posted : 18 September 2009 08:28:13(UTC)
High Peak Harry

I don't think he meant one single Cormorant! I assume he meant the whole population of them.
wily  
#45 Posted : 18 September 2009 17:56:39(UTC)

Groups: Guest

A fish related topic and High Peak Harry has to chip in with a comment.

High Peak Harry ,  you still do not appear to have answered our question put to you in post #32 in the “Whaley Bridge Town Centre” thread.

The members if this forum are still awaiting your reply.

Arfur Mow  
#46 Posted : 18 September 2009 18:46:37(UTC)
Arfur Mow

Fedup wrote:

Well my dear Arfur Mow - I am well and truly educated by your wise words. I could have told you that the cormorant has only recently decided to come inland and that it is mainly a seabird. What has that got to do with anything? Do you think that one cormorant, even though it can eat its own body weight in fish, is going to empty the reservoir?

As for the hooks being removed gently and carefully - you obviously have a less cynical mind than I do, and a touching faith in the kindness of humans.

You could have told me, but you didn't.

It has a lot do with non-indigenous species being forcibly removed from areas where they are not welcome.

Yes, I do have a less cynical mind than you. Apparently.

Mr. Wily, you seem to have some obsession with this High Peak Harry character. Has he done something to offend you personally in the past? Do you know him or is it just through this forum? I have only read a few posts so I can't get to the bottom of it (not that I am bothered either way) but it does seem to be pre-occupying you. R S-S. mentions him occasionally, but nothing like the times you do.

On another note, I do find this forum funny and informative. The Local History side and t'other un. Long may it reign (probably rain knowing our luck).
Fedup  
#47 Posted : 18 September 2009 20:45:21(UTC)
Fedup

Well Cllr Jon and Arfur, I have to tell you that I would rather see a cormorant diving for fish than a fisherman fishing on Toddbrook.

And please, please don't quote Martin Salter MP at me - knowing our Government it wouldn't take much for them to accuse the cormorant of terrorism, the procurement of Weapons of Mass Destruction and causing the credit crunch, as well as cheating on expenses!

What a bloodthirsty lot the human race is; if it gets in the way of human entertainment - slaughter it!

Edited by user 18 September 2009 20:48:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Arfur Mow  
#48 Posted : 18 September 2009 21:33:15(UTC)
Arfur Mow

Each to his/her own. I don't advocate torturing animals but angling is a very peaceful and relaxing pursuit. I personally think if more took up a similar hobby they would appreciate life more. We are but here for a short time and I for one can't really get hung up on Anti-country matters. I expect you knit your own yoghurt do you and grow your own clothes.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#49 Posted : 18 September 2009 22:15:51(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Arfur Mow wrote:
Fedup wrote:

You could have told me, but you didn't. It has a lot do with non-indigenous species being forcibly removed from areas where they are not welcome. Yes, I do have a less cynical mind than you. Apparently. Mr. Wily, you seem to have some obsession with this High Peak Harry character. Has he done something to offend you personally in the past? Do you know him or is it just through this forum? I have only read a few posts so I can't get to the bottom of it (not that I am bothered either way) but it does seem to be pre-occupying you. R S-S. mentions him occasionally, but nothing like the times you do. On another note, I do find this forum funny and informative. The Local History side and t'other un. Long may it reign (probably rain knowing our luck).

Good evening everyone,

And especially to you Arfur Mow.

I have not really felt very much like posting on here since the tragic loss of my great friend and our great leader King Sceptic Jake Cnut. I am very, very saddened that he has gone but at the end of the day life must continue for the rest of us.

So I will answer your question Arfur:

High Peak Harry is indeed an enigma; who knows who he is? I doubt if Mr Wily does; incidentally Mr Wily’s contributions go from strength to strength although he will never match his posting on the history channel regarding the Canal Street photo taken by Councillor JonG. Jon missed the ‘C’ off his photo and it was picked up by Mr Wily. Certainly the most amusing post on here, for me anyway, since the new forum was born.

I know little of Harry but I have been reliably informed that he was once again in Furness Vale this week and actually witnessed the landing of the jet aeroplane that took the whole of the village by surprise.

He may tell us about it but he is very secretive and we should all respect that.

I am rather surprised that the Parabuild character wasn’t around with his camera which seems to be always primed and at the ready. He snapped a fish but missed a huge aeroplane. I’ve sleepily read his contributions and am not really at all surprised when I come to think about it.

Whoops I should not mention a fish in the same post as Harry. Sorry Wily it won’t happen again.

R. S-S

Fedup  
#50 Posted : 18 September 2009 22:25:59(UTC)
Fedup

Now, now Arfur! No need to get petty about this. I have no objection to anyone enjoying a peaceful day fishing - I'm sure it's a very relaxing and enjoyable hobby - but that is what it is, a hobby. Is it not possible to enjoy it while a bird fishes at the same time? Is the cormorant going to empty Toddbrook of fish? If It catches 2lbs of fish per day, (highly unlikely, as it is not on Toddbrook all the time) will the fishermen really notice the difference? I doubt it.

You are right, I'm not keen on the Hunting, Shootingand Fishing brigade, but that is my personal opinion, and I respect the right of others to disagree with that opinion. So please don't class me as some sort of greeny freak, because believe me, that I am not! It would be good if you respected my right to an opinion without sneering at it.

By the way, I don't like yoghurt, and as for growing my own clothes, well, I never knew you could, so there you are, something else you know more about than I do.

Edited by user 18 September 2009 22:27:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#51 Posted : 19 September 2009 09:18:44(UTC)
G. Jackson

Now now children, don't get all worked up about each other. We should gang up against others not ourselves. Let the cormorant and the fish live as natural lives as possible. Let High peak Harry have his own reason for not saying yes or no to owning the chippy. Let the yoghert and home grown clothes do what ever they do. Lets gang up on the yobs from Chapel as we used to do in the past. As I have always said "Aways put a hat on before stroking a crocodile"

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#52 Posted : 19 September 2009 14:18:26(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

JonG,

Quick mate get that shotgun loaded things are getting worse by the day.

I went to have a look at the Cormorant this morning but didn’t spot it but look what’s fishing up there now.

R. S-S

Birds 027 by you.

Fedup  
#53 Posted : 19 September 2009 19:09:23(UTC)
Fedup

Oh R.S-S! It's good to have you back!!!

Edited by user 19 September 2009 19:10:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

High Peak Harry  
#54 Posted : 19 September 2009 19:52:41(UTC)
High Peak Harry

More likely to be from Florida than Fernilee if you ask me.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#55 Posted : 19 September 2009 23:41:00(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

My word Harry,

What a strange post from you. I really do think the landing of the jumbo jet in Furness Vale, rumoured to be witnessed by your good self, has affected your geographical knowledge. Are you still flying high over these environs, cormorant like?

Toddbrook – Fernilee? Goodness me. I’ll go to the foot of our stairs. Toddbrook – Fernilee?

Happy landings Harry.

R. S-S
High Peak Harry  
#56 Posted : 20 September 2009 08:43:33(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Relatively speaking Toddbrook is a bit closer to Fernilee than that glorified duck is to Florida. Besides which, Florida-Fernilee sounds better. I'm not sure if they have ponds in Tampa, or I would have said Toddbrook-Tampa.

Anyway, we are getting off the point here my dear friend. What is this jumbo jet all about? Was it bringing in some more hand knitted yoghurt and freshly grown clothes for Fedup?

Pssst.... don't say anything to Wily, but that chip shop in Furness is nowt to do with me. Let him carry on stalking me with his ridiculous assumptions based on no knowledge whatsoever. Have you seen how many posts the fool makes regarding me. He's got so fed up typing them he just copies and pastes the same rubbish.

Anyway, must dash, got to polish the Purdeys and give them a pull through. Apparently there is a pest problem close to the centre of Whaley. And apparently there is a bird to shoot as well!

Edited by user 20 September 2009 08:45:18(UTC)  | Reason: Dodgy spelling

wily  
#57 Posted : 20 September 2009 16:47:44(UTC)

High Peak Harry , we keep asking the same question because you have not had the decency to answer it.

You state the “chip shop in Furness is nowt to do with you” but you again do not say what your connection to the chippy is.

If you have no connection with the Furness Vale fish and chip shop (other than as a customer) then please say so and this will be an end to the matter.

We will ask you once again, kindly answer our question put to you in post #32 in the “Whaley Bridge Town Centre” thread.

High Peak Harry  
#58 Posted : 20 September 2009 19:51:50(UTC)
High Peak Harry

wily wrote:

High Peak Harry , we keep asking the same question because you have not had the decency to answer it.

You state the “chip shop in Furness is nowt to do with you” but you again do not say what your connection to the chippy is.

If you have no connection with the Furness Vale fish and chip shop (other than as a customer) then please say so and this will be an end to the matter.

We will ask you once again, kindly answer our question put to you in post #32 in the “Whaley Bridge Town Centre” thread.

My dear Wily, which bit of 'nowt to do with me' do you not understand? I think that that 'kindly answers your question' does it not?

Toodle oo and au revoir.

Seeing as you don't seem to understand the Queen's English!
Techy  
#59 Posted : 20 September 2009 20:44:40(UTC)

Wily you are not on your own!

High Peak Harry does have some form of connection with the said chips shop for sure.  

Harry please do not insult the intelligence of this forum anymore and state your connection.

Here are just some of my reasons:

• Starting the thread notifying the forum of the chips shop.
  • Eagerness to find the “north west fish and chip correspondent”
  • Extensive knowledge of the chip shop trade.
  • General eagerness to promote the thread and chip shop at every opportunity.

I think post #45 shows your colours Harry.

PS.  I have been there twice recently and they are defo dropping their standards!....not as good as they used to be.

High Peak Harry  
#60 Posted : 21 September 2009 09:05:08(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Does parabuild own the Navigation? He started that thread. Does G.Jackson own the Eden Project? He started that thread.

I don't need to insult people's intelligence, some of you are self sufficient in that department.

I had rather hoped to make my 100th post momentous but I couldn't let this go unchallenged. Some of you seem to think that by repeating an untruth often enough it will become a fact. Dream on.

As for using Trusted IT to repair my computers in the future, not anymore for your rudeness!