logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<23456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wily  
#61 Posted : 21 September 2009 21:02:32(UTC)

Groups: Guest

High Peak Harry  , it would appear your brain has become pickled. This is probably due to over exposure to vinegar fumes. You have again gone off at a tangent mentioning the ownership of the fish and chip shop. You have already said that you are not the owner of the chippy and we accept this. However, there is no doubt you are in some way connected to the fish and chip shop in Furness Vale and, as Techy has previously stated, your continued reluctance to answer a simple question is an insult to the intelligence of the members of this forum.

For the benefit of your befuddled cerebellum we will ask yet again, please answer the question put to you in post #32 in the “Whaley Bridge Town Centre” thread.

High Peak Harry  
#62 Posted : 22 September 2009 08:24:21(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Groups: Member

The only person with a befuddled cerebellum is you. I stand to benefit not one jot from the shop should it turn over £1,000,000 today. Nor would I be homeless if it went bust. As I previously stated, for those of you who are hard of thinking, I like to see local businesses succeed. There have been numerous mentions of greengrocers, restaurants etc. closing down and everyone is sad. Use the local facilities we have before the corner shop takes over all aspects or our lives. Were you dropped on your head as a child when they were assembling you in the laboratory? Just because you are a cynical fool and can't see the facts, don't try and drag everyone else down to your level. You have become far too obsessed with this topic, which is why I reluctantly replied too your post yesterday. Look how many posts you have made on the forum and then look how many are directed at me. You are a scary person if you think that trying to bully someone into admitting something which isn't true. Focus on the positives in life, if you have one that is.
wily  
#63 Posted : 22 September 2009 17:08:34(UTC)

Groups: Guest

High Peak Harry , rest assured, we have no intention of bullying anyone. All we ask is you give an honest answer to a straightforward question i.e.

What is your involvement (other than as a customer ) to the fish and chip shop in Furness Vale?

If you have no connection, then please answer “ I have no connection (other than as a customer) to the fish and chip shop in Furness Vale."

If you do have a connection to the chippy, kindly advise us what your involvement is.

It's as simple as that.

We await your reply which will hopefully enable us to move on to the more important matter of a tooled up, bloodthirsty councillor, who is intent on blasting away Peter the Pelican and Colin the Cormorant.

Edited by user 22 September 2009 17:14:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG  
#64 Posted : 22 September 2009 17:26:28(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Wily,

I think we are all getting fed up with this.

Please stop messing up the threads, and move on.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#65 Posted : 22 September 2009 17:33:09(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Wily,

How dare you, Sir.

I read these posts on a daily basis to Peter and I have just read yours to him without reading it to myself first censorship fashion.
Now you may think that was funny (well I did actually, very funny indeed) but it has caused Peter a great deal of heartache.

I have had to bring him indoors from out of his Pelican loft he is in such a state. He is in my front room right now with a cover over his cage and he is making some very strange noises I can tell you. I hope not, but I think the shock has caused him to go into a sort of premature labour and he may be laying his first egg. I’ll let you know later if there are any further developments and if mother and egg are doing well. I may need to contact Steph at The Mechanics for one of those forms to change his name by deed poll from Peter to Petra.
Sounds a bit like a dog really but you never know what will happen next on this forum do you?

But can I ask you for Peter’s/Petra’s sake to keep your feuding with Harry on the Chip Shop site and then I won’t read anything out by accident again that might upset him/her even more.

Thank you and good evening.

R. S-S

Bloodthirsty Councillors blasting Peter away indeed!
Fedup  
#66 Posted : 22 September 2009 18:32:20(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Is it my imagination, or does Toddbrook look a little more full of water today?

The CCTV cameras were there yesterday, so perhaps things are OK and Toddbrook can revert to its normal, peaceful and beautiful state. I hope so.

Oh and by the way, Colin (or perhaps Coleen?) the Cormorant was there again today. Sorry Cllr Jon and fishermen, but the sight still fills me with utter joy!

Edited by user 22 September 2009 18:34:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG  
#67 Posted : 22 September 2009 18:43:18(UTC)
CllrJonG

I've been told Colin is now busy emptying the CPA pond too.

I wouldn't get too attached to him. 

Cheers

Jon.

Fedup  
#68 Posted : 22 September 2009 18:56:08(UTC)
Fedup

Don't worry Cllr Jon. I am well aware that Colin/Coleen is unlikely to survive for very long. After all, if some mindless idiot could come and shoot one of the grebes in broad daylight, and young kids can kill the ducks by throwing rocks at them (and get away with it), what chance has the cormorant got?

I was speaking to a visiting fisherman today. He said he liked wildlife, as long as it didn't interfere with his fishing.

What a wonderful world!

Edited by user 22 September 2009 18:56:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#69 Posted : 26 September 2009 19:27:22(UTC)
Fedup

Just found this on the Environment Agency web site:

Many people don't appreciate that the protected status of cormorants does not allow shooting to cull. Cormorants in the UK are part of a European population and it is estimated that 30,000 - 60,000 would need to be killed annually throughout Europe to make any difference. This is not only impractical; it would not be acceptable to the general public.

There are other methods of limiting the damage caused to fisheries by cormorants, for example by scaring the birds or providing refuges in which fish can escape predation. If cormorants are causing serious damage to a fishery the owner or manager can apply for a licence to shoot a limited number of the birds as an aid to scaring.

The Moran Joint Bird Group has also produced a booklet called 'Protecting your fishery from cormorants' which provides invaluable information on methods of reducing the impact of cormorants and sound advice on how to apply for a licence to shoot them as an aid to scaring.

So I hope nobody thinks they can take pot shots whenever they want.  I, for one, will report anybody who I see, or who boasts about , shooting at these birds, unless they can produce a valid licence.

Edited by user 26 September 2009 19:33:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#70 Posted : 26 September 2009 19:53:07(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Thank you for that Fedup,

Also Peter/Petra sends his/her thanks and he/she is breathing more easily just now.
He/she has asked me if you can find out from your fishing magazine or whatever it is you obtain information from if the same rules apply to shooting a pelican.

I hope there is good news as Parabuild has already provided a recipe on here for pelican stew which has been very upsetting in this household.

My bird is very pleased to be under your watchful and protective eye.

You’ve had it JonG.
Game, set and match to Fedup, I think.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#71 Posted : 26 September 2009 20:27:18(UTC)
Fedup

R.S-S, I have a wheelbarrow ready to transport Peter/Petra and Colin to safer places if Toddbrook and Whaley Bridge get too "hot" for them.

I really don't know what's got into JonG, Parabuild and Arfur Mow, do you? Have they been watching that film "The Birds" ?

Pelican stew! Whatever next! Cormorant curry?!

Edited by user 26 September 2009 20:27:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#72 Posted : 29 September 2009 14:54:55(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Colin now has a mate.

Edited by user 29 September 2009 14:55:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RockBanker  
#73 Posted : 29 September 2009 15:19:51(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Good - All the more cormorant pies then. It should be a full larder at the Goldfinch house.
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
CllrJonG  
#74 Posted : 29 September 2009 19:20:18(UTC)
CllrJonG

Highly unlikely, particularly after reading this.

I must give you the classic recipe for the preparation & cooking of a cormorant. Having shot your cormorant, hold it well away from you as you carry it home; these birds are exceedingly verminous & lice are said to be not entirely host-specific. Hang up by the feet with a piece of wire, soak in petrol & set on fire. This treatment both removes most of the feathers and kills the lice.

When the smoke has cleared away, take the cormorant down & cut off its beak…. bury the carcass preferablely in light sandy soil & leave it there for a fortnight. This is said to improve the flavour by, in part at least, removing the taste of rotting fish. Dig up & skin the bird. Place in a strong salt & water solution & soak for 48 hours. Remove, dry, stuff with whole unpeeled onions: the onion skins are supposed to bleach the meat to a small extent so that it is very dark brown as opposed to entirely black.

Simmer gently in seawater, to which two tablespoons of chloride of lime has been added, for a further 6 hours. This has a further tenderising effect. Take out of the water & allow to dry, meanwhile mixing up a stiff paste of methylated spirit & curry powder. Spread this mixture liberally over the breast of the bird. Finally, roast in a very hot oven for 3 hours. The result is unbelievable. Throw it away. Not even a starving vulture would eat it.

High Peak Harry  
#75 Posted : 29 September 2009 19:34:01(UTC)
High Peak Harry

I think more petrol is needed, to get rid of all of it!

By the way JG, I am definitely me and not who you think I am, although others would disagree and maintain that I am who I am not.

I hope that clears that matter up for you.

By the way, we had a duck for tea with plums. I'll wager it was nicer than your recipe!
Fedup  
#76 Posted : 29 September 2009 20:10:43(UTC)
Fedup

Now, I am going to put paid to this nonsense for once and for all.

First, there are actually three cormorants on the reservoir (part-time) - let's call them Colin, Colleen and Collette. They have actually been around for a long time, but usually spend their time at the bottom end of the reservoir. However, as there is no water there now, they have moved up to the top end, where the water is still deep and holds plenty of fish. Let's be honest, who can blame them? Oh yes, the fishermen can - I forgot! The three cormorants also visit Bugsworth, Errwood Reservoir and Fernilee Reservoir, so I think the chances of them emptying Toddbrook of fish is highly unlikely.

Secondly, I have today spoken to British Waterways, who have told me that no further work will be carried out on Toddbrook at this time, and it will now be allowed to fill up naturally. Depending on the rainfall levels, the reservoir should be back to normal by the end of November/beginning of December. However, they may have to drain again next year about this time, and, depending on the state of finances then, some work may have to be carried out. In that case, they have assured me, they will put up notices, explaining what they are going to do. They apologise for the fact that we were left in the dark this time.

So, there we are. Hopefully soon the reservoir will be back to its beautiful self (and not smelly, as it is now!), the cormorants will return to the seclusion of the far end of the reservoir and will have avoided being cooked and discarded by Cllr Jon, and Peter the Pelican will no longer live in fear and dread of being turned into Pelican stew.

I hope the above pleases all of you as much as it pleases me!

Edited by user 29 September 2009 20:13:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#77 Posted : 29 September 2009 22:21:48(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Just a small point to you my great friend Fedup,

Water flows down hill; not up hill.

So the top end of the reservoir is where the water flows in; the bottom end is where the dam wall is.

Could you kindly relay this information to all aquatic birds including herons, cormorants and pelicans? We would not like to see them fishing in the mud would we?

Thank you Fed up I know I can rely on you.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#78 Posted : 29 September 2009 22:38:15(UTC)
Fedup

My most abject apologies R.S-S. You are right as usual my old mate!

Edited by user 29 September 2009 22:39:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild  
#79 Posted : 30 September 2009 16:07:25(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Yeardsley today

Something else for the larder. Does anyone have a recipe ?

parabuild attached the following image(s):
P1040528.jpg
Fedup  
#80 Posted : 30 September 2009 16:59:54(UTC)
Fedup

Oh please Parabuild. Not you as well!!!