logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ferni  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2014 12:03:59(UTC)
Ferni

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This weekend sees, for the first time in the UK, a cycling event call L'Eroica. 

It's being hosted in Bakewell  http://www.eroicabritannia.co.uk/ and includes a vintage fair too, on Bakewell's Showground.  It's a 3 day event, and the races are happening on Sunday 22nd. 

Why am I writing this? Well, there are 3 races:  30, 55 and 100 miles.  The 100 mile race is coming through Whaley Bridge, from Combs - heading up to Derbyshire Bridge ( top of the Goyt Valley ) - 

By that reckoning they will likely be cycling down to the lights at Horwich End, but, if they aren't and are going up Elnor Lane, then whichever, there will be a huge amount of congestion that day. 

I wonder if Whaley is doing anything to welcome the cyclists?  How can we make fellow cyclists aware of this prestigious event ? 

Ferni attached the following image(s):
route-map.png

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
thanks 1 user thanked Ferni for this useful post.
Wanderer returns on 22/06/2014(UTC)
Benno  
#2 Posted : 18 June 2014 15:56:37(UTC)
Benno

Hi Ferni,
Thank you for starting this subject.
I have been doing some work with the organisers of this event, at it should be an excellent festival down in Bakewell and of cause the race coming through Whaley.  All riders must compete on pre’87 racing bikes and with the riding apparel to match – make sure you have your camera handy and if anybody has some classic cars, they would look great parked along the route too.
The race comes through Chapel-en-le-Frith towards Whaley and turns left onto Elnor lane, continues up there until it crosses Long Hill and down towards Erwood Resevior.
I guess that they will be coming through in the morning, they are leaving Bakewell between 6-7.30 am and have 100 miles to cover!

Jonny Summers  
#3 Posted : 18 June 2014 17:40:53(UTC)
Jonny Summers

That'll teach me to read the subject closer!!!
Benno  
#4 Posted : 19 June 2014 08:05:23(UTC)
Benno

Originally Posted by: Jonny Summers Go to Quoted Post
That'll teach me to read the subject closer!!!
Code:

Yes - be very careful when you type it into Google, it tries to auto-correct your entry!
Wanderer returns  
#5 Posted : 22 June 2014 14:41:26(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Some really nice vintage cycles on display with some friendly riders this morning. Thank you to FERNI for letting us know about this I really enjoyed it
Ferni  
#6 Posted : 25 June 2014 10:26:05(UTC)
Ferni

https://www.facebook.com/eroicabritannia - have a look at some of the photos on their FB site.

After spending 2 of the 3 days there volunteering at this most incredible and elegant of festivals, I can only say that I was thrilled to be part of it.

What an absolutely stonker of an event. 2000 cyclists from all over the world, all dressed in vintage gear and riding vintage bikes ( pre-1987, and with no more than 3 gears!) and combined with a vintage fair, this was a wonderful coup for our region: Bakewell : Derbyshire: the Peak District. ! 

The organisation was about the best there can be. To say this was Eroica's  first event in the UK you would never have known. They involved every village along the (3) routes, with the Duke of Devonshire taking a huge role in the event. 
I met many of the cyclists, local produce stall holders, organisers, musicians, visitors young and old - as part of my role ( and as is my wont ) and without exception, everyone was totally blown away with the 'beauty' of it all. 

I'm pleased to say that the organisers have secured a 5 year plan to host this event  and there will be companies and organisations queuing up to get onboard for next year, already.

As Whaley is part of the 100 mile route I think we should jump right in there and offer our help and support - in flag waving, snack/water giving, anything really, like many of other villages along the routes did this time. 

Please get in touch with me to express an interest ( our own Bike Factory were there I believe ) and I'll pass on your details. 

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.