logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davethescope  
#41 Posted : 30 October 2014 13:24:23(UTC)
davethescope

Groups: Member
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fedup Go to Quoted Post
Well, well. The Sun and the Mirror. How can I argue against these illustrious, wise and unbiased newspapers!

Not to mention that well know hotbed of sedition and mistruth   The Derby Telegraph . Are you saying that the reports of dog attacks in those newspapers are entirely fabricated?    Or is it that, disliking a message you cannot refute, your only recourse is to attack the messenger?

Edited by user 30 October 2014 13:29:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
thanks 1 user thanked davethescope for this useful post.
Whaley Laner on 05/11/2014(UTC)
Kippax  
#42 Posted : 31 October 2014 09:56:03(UTC)
Kippax

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Athena Go to Quoted Post
This is what can happen when the affectionate and gentle NANNY DOG mixes with children

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/DOG-ATTACK-Staffordshire-bull-terrier-attacks/story-23438113-detail/story.html

It's no surprise the dog owner said - he is usually very playful and this attack was completely out of character - this is more proof that dog owners have no way of knowing what their dog is capable of. 
thanks 1 user thanked Kippax for this useful post.
Athena  
#43 Posted : 03 November 2014 12:45:29(UTC)
Athena

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I could go through the papers and find dog attacks by every breed of dog under the sun. It's the deed, not the breed.

Thats exactly why ALL dogs should be banned from the kids playground area#keepdogsonleads
thanks 1 user thanked Athena for this useful post.
moogie  
#44 Posted : 03 November 2014 13:29:29(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
i took my son to the park, thursday about 4.30

same old thing overage kids vandalizing the baby swings, so they were unusable....and same to the older swings alltho they were sat on the top bar...very intimidating for the other children.....

then suprise suprise , a bloke with his 'staffie' type dog belting all over the playground.....sniffing and peeing on the woodchip....i grabbed my  son out of the way as he hurtled towards him....he was scared.

its just not on.....yes i was tempted to say something...he was with his partner who had a baby in a pram.....could have gone down the line of ...if his baby was walking and my dog came legging it up to would he be scared for his Childs safety???

on leaving the park met a pleasant lady with a lovely lurcher...on a lead, who let my son get close in a very sensible manner, controlling and understanding. she didnt feel the need to let her dog run round a children playground as if it was her back garden....but still enjoyed a walk in the park with her K9

in my opinion....thats how it should be ....end of!

As a parent i shouldnt have to worry about my son being attached by any dog.....and as we all live in the peaks ...there are plenty of decent walks to take a dog on....why be so lazy and just take to the local park

my wife describes Whaley park as the worst in the area and the children area has a air of uncertainty and can be very intimidating

thanks 1 user thanked moogie for this useful post.
davethescope  
#45 Posted : 03 November 2014 16:08:29(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kippax Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Athena Go to Quoted Post
This is what can happen when the affectionate and gentle NANNY DOG mixes with children

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/DOG-ATTACK-Staffordshire-bull-terrier-attacks/story-23438113-detail/story.html

It's no surprise the dog owner said - he is usually very playful and this attack was completely out of character - this is more proof that dog owners have no way of knowing what their dog is capable of. 

"The youngster has now been left wary of all dogs ".   So some good has  come of the dreadful affair.

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
thanks 1 user thanked davethescope for this useful post.
Jonny Summers  
#46 Posted : 04 November 2014 20:25:47(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
...& because not everyone likes dogs jumping up at them with the owners walking over saying "it's OK, he's only being friendly" NO!!! Keep your dog on a lead in all public places
thanks 1 user thanked Jonny Summers for this useful post.
Whaley Laner  
#47 Posted : 05 November 2014 10:45:22(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: moogie Go to Quoted Post
a bloke with his 'staffie' type dog belting all over the playground.....sniffing and peeing on the woodchip....i grabbed my  son out of the way as he hurtled towards him....he was scared.

Are you positive this happened Moogie? Fedup says 'there haven't been any' incidents like this in Whaley Bridge Memorial Park.
moogie  
#48 Posted : 05 November 2014 14:49:21(UTC)
moogie

well either im making it up to get a story in a sensationalist red top rag...or it was ...a white and brown spotted staffie type dog who was running round quite mentally...we were on the bridge, it came hurtling down the path from the skate park....owners following on behind

i know a lot about dogs.....but i still cant tell the difference between staffies and pit bulls..that breed tent to look the same....

Fedup has said a few things....but no reaction at all to his last post , letting sleeping dogs lie maybe
Whaley Laner on 12/11/2014(UTC)
moogie  
#49 Posted : 06 November 2014 10:42:04(UTC)
moogie

http://www.highpeak.gov..../news/dog-control-orders

Well I never.....seems the council my listen if, we ask to include Local Parks for 'Dogs on Leads'

Maybe worth a punt
Fedup  
#50 Posted : 08 November 2014 19:57:06(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
well either im making it up to get a story in a sensationalist red top rag...or it was ...a white and brown spotted staffie type dog who was running round quite mentally...we were on the bridge, it came hurtling down the path from the skate park....owners following on behind

i know a lot about dogs.....but i still cant tell the difference between staffies and pit bulls..that breed tent to look the same....

Fedup has said a few things....but no reaction at all to his last post , letting sleeping dogs lie maybe

Good grief!  A dog... running about! ....Call the army in!  Lock up your daughters !  What a terrible thing to happen!  Never heard of such a dreadful incident.!  Would make a striking headline in any paper -  "Dog runs in Park!!!"

I'm beginning to think you are living in some sort of fantasy world.  That's the reason I didn't reply before.  There are some people you can have a sensible discussion with, and there are some that you can't.  I leave you to guess which category you fit into.

Fedup  
#51 Posted : 08 November 2014 19:59:06(UTC)
Fedup

http://www.highpeak.gov.uk/hp/news/dog-control-orders

Well I never.....seems the council my listen if, we ask to include Local Parks for 'Dogs on Leads'

Maybe worth a punt

There are already notices up in the Park.  Read them carefully - I think you are getting the wrong end of the stick.....again!
moogie  
#52 Posted : 10 November 2014 08:24:02(UTC)
moogie

I'm beginning to think you are living in some sort of fantasy world.  That's the reason I didn't reply before.  There are some people you can have a sensible discussion with, and there are some that you can't.  I leave you to guess which category you fit into.

Like I care what you 'think', 'sensible discussion' .......read your posts pal!....you have a pop at anyone who disagrees with you....the only sensible thing you have written without getting personal on anyone who has a pop at dogs, is that you have actively picked up rubbish in the park......so granted there is something worthy there.

My boy is 2.....its my duty to protect him...if im not happy about a dog running up to him at 20mph and he is  very scared how do you want me to react, kick the dog in the throat?

Its not my dog....i dont know it......i dont know whats its going to do ....i would be the same  anywhere like most parents not just in Whaley Park, but the point of this discussion was dog on the loose in the park , fouling, urinating ,  scaring children in a play area

the funny thing is you go on about sensationalism then go on to make sensationalist quotes...a la

'I have just this minute heard on the radio that in this country every 10 days a child dies at the hands of a carer'.....moral panic here we come...

Whaley Laner on 12/11/2014(UTC)
Athena  
#53 Posted : 10 November 2014 12:20:46(UTC)
Athena

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Good grief!  A dog... running about! ....Call the army in!  Lock up your daughters !  What a terrible thing to happen!  Never heard of such a dreadful incident.!  Would make a striking headline in any paper -  "Dog runs in Park!!!"

Fedup just shrugs off the traumatising of a 2 year child as one of those things that happens in the park there is someone on this forum whos living in a fantasy world but its not moogie#keepdogsonleads
thanks 2 users thanked Athena for this useful post.
moogie on 10/11/2014(UTC), Whaley Laner on 12/11/2014(UTC)
Whaley Laner  
#54 Posted : 12 November 2014 13:36:09(UTC)
Whaley Laner

There was never any doubt that this happened to you Moogie as incidents like this happen all the time in the Memorial Park. It's just that some irresponsible blinkered bigoted dog owners like Fedup prefer to ignore them. The sooner dogs are banned from the children's play area the better.
Love the peak district  
#55 Posted : 12 November 2014 21:35:13(UTC)
Love the peak district

United Kingdom

I am both a parent and a dog owner, so can see both sides. My child is well behaved (most) of the time. My dog is unpredictable. I also know that no matter how calm a dog is, some children will always be wary, scared or, in rare cases, downright petrified. I would never presume that my right to exercise my dog takes priority over a child wanting to enjoy the play area. If you need to exercise a dog, don't use the play area. A ban would be unenforceable and there are more pressing issues. Common sense must prevail...
moogie  
#56 Posted : 13 November 2014 14:54:22(UTC)
moogie

Originally Posted by: Love the peak district Go to Quoted Post
I am both a parent and a dog owner, so can see both sides. My child is well behaved (most) of the time. My dog is unpredictable. I also know that no matter how calm a dog is, some children will always be wary, scared or, in rare cases, downright petrified. I would never presume that my right to exercise my dog takes priority over a child wanting to enjoy the play area. If you need to exercise a dog, don't use the play area. A ban would be unenforceable and there are more pressing issues. Common sense must prevail...

i agree...its not a ban thats needed....just a ruling on keeping a dog on a lead in a childrens play area..and sporting areas ...as mentioned by other posters...

unless you have a pet fox that is! ....
Whaley Laner  
#57 Posted : 17 November 2014 13:48:07(UTC)
Whaley Laner

A ban would be unenforceable and there are more pressing issues.

Hello love the peak district. Why do you think a ban would be unenforceable and what do you consider a more pressing issue than protecting children from serious dog attacks?
Fedup  
#58 Posted : 17 November 2014 20:08:00(UTC)
Fedup

"Hello love the peak district. Why do you think a ban would be unenforceable and what do you consider a more pressing issue than protecting children from serious dog attacks?"

Unenforceable because nobody is going to sit in the Park 24 hours 7 days a week (unless you are offering , of course) and a more pressing issue is the underage drinking, smoking and anti social behaviour in the Park, which is actually happening, unlike the "serious dog attacks", which aren't.

"unless you have a pet fox that is! ...."

Ummm.......no, sorry, way over my head that one!

Love the peak district  
#59 Posted : 17 November 2014 20:10:30(UTC)
Love the peak district

United Kingdom

I consider a real problem (antisocial behaviour) more pressing than a perceived issue (potential dog attacks). I do not agree with dogs in the play area but IMHO we should deal with the illegal stuff before the legal but unwanted behaviour.
Kippax  
#60 Posted : 18 November 2014 14:01:06(UTC)
Kippax

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Whaley Laner Go to Quoted Post
A ban would be unenforceable and there are more pressing issues.

Hello love the peak district. Why do you think a ban would be unenforceable and what do you consider a more pressing issue than protecting children from serious dog attacks?

It should be very easy to enforce a ban - A sign at the Reservoir Road park entrance - A sign on the bridge over Toddbrook - Enforced by the Park Ranger.