logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pensionman  
#1 Posted : 18 September 2014 22:28:31(UTC)
pensionman

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
We've lived here 16 years come December. Kids born here & done the dash to Stepping Hill.Paid about £25,000 in Council Tax to High Peak in that time (great value), so we've paid our dues.
Why is it so expensive for my lad to travel to Woodsmoor for sixth form? You cross two boundaries & get hit by a matrix of travel solution costs, worst case, £900 for the academic year (Northern Rail).
Sounding niave, why is the cost of travel so great on those who do not have the earnings potential to cover this, so the Parent incumbent cops for it; where as at 60 years of age, you are deemed to be as impoverished to receive free travel despite having had from 44 to 39 years to work & accumilate financial independence? Naturally there are many who will not have been able to save & so deserve their pass. I'm looking forward to my pass when it comes, as I'll travel all day & sodding night( but no doubt it will be delayed until I'm 68 when my adjusted State retirement age kicks in) to make up for it.
So, going back to the £900, I've suddenly found this 'tax' land on our household. Has it always been this way?  I dare say we'll find a lower cost solution but from the enquiries I've made it seems most travel providers are realy unhelpful. Pouring a bit more woe, sixth form students lost their entitlement to £100 per month or so of 'grant' / 'payment' 2/3 years ago. More indirect tax & lack of financial support for those starting out & falling on their Parents/Guardians. I moaned to my lad about this & he was happy to consider taking on a moped to College daily, which was great at first, but a non-starter really.
Conclusion: Lift share. There are many that travel along our Buxton Old road who could rotate with their off-springs travel to other families as opposed to incurring the cost, questionable reliability of trains. Sorry if this is not releant to you, but I hate seeing obvious resources being wasted & so many out of pocket.