logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
t0ria  
#1 Posted : 30 September 2014 17:01:19(UTC)
t0ria

Groups: Member
United Kingdom

Hi, we are thinking about moving to Whaley Bridge so thought I would pop in and say hello! We're living in Manchester at the mo and are looking for somewhere a bit more rural, but with plenty of shops and pubs, and Whaley Bridge seems perfect! Is there anything you think we should know about? We know about the big development which is planned and more importantly we have worked out which pub is likely to be our favourite (Not a Robinsons one.... sorry!)

I work from home so will be interested in getting involved in the local community and meeting people!

Victoria and Paul
RockBanker  
#2 Posted : 01 October 2014 11:59:36(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Victoria and Paul

I have met few people who regret moving here. There have been another couple of similar discussions on the site

http://www.whaleybridge.net/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1035

http://www.whaleybridge.net/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1046

Cheers

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
davidbeever  
#3 Posted : 04 October 2014 10:15:25(UTC)
davidbeever

United Kingdom

Hello Victoria and Paul.  
We moved to Whaley 2 years ago and have enjoyed every minute. The walks and countryside are great. However what is more important, the people are
friendly and they have made us feel very welcome.
There are some great places to eat and the Bakehouse makes amazing cakes. Don't forget there is a local Brewery too!!

Regards

David and Diane
Colin  
#4 Posted : 08 October 2014 01:20:20(UTC)
Colin

United Kingdom

It's coming up on 3 years since we moved here and my wife happily works from home. The local nursery at Horwich End has been great for my kids, I've no experience with the schools yet but I'm looking forward to visiting them both soon as my son will start next year. There's more volunteer activity going on than I'm able to find time for, and the local groups supporting the sailing club, cricket club, football, water weekend, fireworks do, friends of the park etc are well organised so I'm sure you would find something suitable to get involved with. We also moved from a city centre to here, so had the same plan to live more rural and it has worked perfectly. You're only 40 minutes to Piccadilly on the train anyway.
davethescope  
#5 Posted : 08 October 2014 13:41:55(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
And while the traffic is awfule - not a problem unique to WB - there is pretty good public transport. Trains from Whaley to Stockport for points North and West. Chinley station iis a couple of miles away for trains to Sheffield and the East. There is a very good bus service to Manchester Airport. And local buses to Buxton and Stockport (half hourly), Glossop and Macclesfield (hourly)
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.