logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bkirk@uwclub.net  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2015 14:04:33(UTC)
bkirk@uwclub.net

Groups: Member
Woman
United Kingdom

Hello to those members interested in this topic (Ollerenshaw Hall). This is my first post this year as I wasn't very well over Christmas and New Year but thankfully I'm now fully recovered. At the end of last year I saw a notice in the Manchester Evening News announcing the death of Harry Draper, one of the other children evacuated to the Hall. I managed to contact his sister Jean who sadly told me that the other sister Audrey had died a few years earlier so it seems Jean and me are the only ones left to share memories of our time in Whaley Bridge. I have been looking at some of the photos of Horwich End School but there doesn't seem to be any taken of our time there i.e. l939 - 1942. Is the school still standing? Also is Bagshaw's Sweet Shop still there? I spent many times in the dentist's chair subsequently after having sampled its wares - even though sweets were rationed.
On perusing the local history websites I have never noticed anything about Eccles Pike which I thought was quite a landmark in the area. We spent many hours up there and often came across ramblers It was great for picnics in the summer and I wonder does anyone still visit the place? I would love to hear from anyone who knows of it.

CAUDWELL