logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#1 Posted : 08 August 2009 09:17:41(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

The footpath from Taxal to Reddish Lane passes Taxal Lodge which stands vandalized and sadly neglected.  Having seen the building I am curious about its history as I can find very little on the internet.  Up until its closure in 2005 it was a special school in various guises for Stockport Education Authority.  Apart from rumours about past pupils the place seems a bit of a mystery. Does anybody know of its history ?

parabuild attached the following image(s):
P1040052.jpg
Frankie  
#2 Posted : 08 August 2009 16:38:46(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Taxal lodge was built in 1904 and was the home of Lt. Col. H. Ramsden Jodrell.who died in1950. The lodge then became a special school.This Lodge replaced an earlier Taxal Lodge originally built futher up the valley on the site ,it is believed,of the former Overton Hall which is now Overton Farm bearing the date1810.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 08 August 2009 17:22:32(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello Frankie,

We still have not caught up with each other but I shall put that right next week; make no mistake.

There is much to discuss on this topic but I have not the time now except to say that the building was sold on the 13th March, 2009 for £900,000.00 according to houseprices.co.uk

R. S-S

bigruss730  
#4 Posted : 03 February 2012 22:21:33(UTC)
bigruss730

I went here as a kid, between the years of 1989/1991. It was a mixed boys/girls school for disruptive or emotionally disturbed children, I was there following the breakdown of my family life that started with my dad's suicide, you had to stay at the school during the week and were allowed home at weekend (if you had one). Kids with no home usually went to Taxal edge which is a care-home near by. I always wondered what had become of the school since leaving and was always kind of hoping to return one day to thank some of the staff for their best efforts in my life, sadly I never did and now never will. It is very sad to see the school in such a state...... Russell.
matthew  
#5 Posted : 05 October 2012 10:37:58(UTC)
matthew

YES IT IS VERY SAD TO SEE THE SCHOOL IN THIS STATE,I WAS A PUPLE AT THE SCHOOL IN 1974 TO 1977,IT WAS A WORLD WITHIN A WORLD,I REALY ENJOYED MY TIME THER,WE KEEPT THE GARDENS NICE GROWN ARE OWN VEG,WE COULD GO HOME AT THE WEEK ENDS BUT RESIDED IN THE WEEK.ITS A SHAME THE BUILDING HAS BEEN ALOWED TO GET IN THIS CONDITION,I THINK THAT ITS NO ACCIDENT THAT THIS HAS BEEN ALLOWED TO HAPPEN,THEY KEEP TURNING DOWN PLANNING ON THE PLACE FOR NO GOOD REASEN,LIKE LING LONGS LANE IS TO NARROW FOR EXSTRA TRAFFIC ECT WELL WHEN IT WAS A SCHOOL THE STAFF CAME BY CAR AND MINI BUS ,THE COACH THAT TOOK US TO BUXTON BATHS,ALL THE TRADES PEAPLE AND THE KIDS MUMS AND DADS,THER WAS A GOOD PLAN TO REINSTATE THE BUILDING SIMPATHETICLY,PUT BACK TENNIS COURTS,RE DO THE GARDENS AND COVERT THE MAIN BUILDINGS IN TO 14 FLATES.ALSO PUT IN ALOTMENTS FOR THE NEW RESIDENTS,SADDLY IT WAS TURNED DOWN ON FEEBLE REASONS,THEY WANT THE BUILDING TO FALL DOWN SO THEY CAN BUILD A BIG HOUSING ESTATE.MONEY AND GREED.SUMS IT UP REALY,IF ANYBODY READING THIS WENT TO TAXAL IN THE 1970S THEN I WOULD LOVE TO HERE FROM YOU.MATTHEW FOX.

Edited by user 05 October 2012 10:39:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

trigger  
#6 Posted : 23 May 2013 14:04:08(UTC)
trigger

I used to play there as a child!!
Horwich Ender  
#7 Posted : 26 October 2014 19:31:18(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

No improvement at Taxal Lodge:

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/police-patrols-to-ward-off-trespassers-at-old-whaley-bridge-school-1-6915068

The police may have trouble finding the building if they enter “Ling Langs Lane” into their Sat Nav.