logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jeremy  
#1 Posted : 05 September 2009 18:23:32(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Hello

If any readers have a spare moment I would be very grateful if you could take a walk down to the Jodrell Arms and let me know if you have any information about what we think is an old Well. The site is adjacent to the main road on Market Street and, at the moment is fenced with flourescent orange safety fencing. We discovered the Well (?) today when we were digging over the strip of ground adjacent to the pub in readiness for planting. One gentleman who stopped by when we were digging today suggested that it was the site of an old weighing machine. Please keep on the safe side of the fence when you visit.

Many thanks

Jeremy 

Web Watcher  
#2 Posted : 05 September 2009 20:00:38(UTC)
Web Watcher

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I know nothing about the "well" but I was wondering if you had any idea when the pub might be ready to open? We're looking forward to seeing it up and running again and droping in for a few "sherberts"!! 

Edited by user 05 September 2009 20:01:16(UTC)  | Reason: Well I had to add that "Smiley"!!

RockBanker  
#3 Posted : 07 September 2009 12:13:47(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Web Watcher wrote:

We're looking forward to seeing it up and running again and droping in for a few "sherberts"!! 

Here here to that. The main reason I ended up in Whaley was the Jodrell.  

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
G. Jackson  
#4 Posted : 07 September 2009 12:46:46(UTC)
G. Jackson

When the Jodrell Arms re-opens will it be a "plastic pub" or will it be like in the good old days when Mr. and Mrs. Bailey ran it. You were not allowed in without a tie and there was no work clothes allowed. It was the sort of place you could take the lady in your life. There was no distraction from juke boxes,darts , games etc. just a gramophone playing background music , loud enough to hear but also quiet enough to talk. Ah, the good old days...................

Edited by user 08 September 2009 21:22:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

watcher  
#5 Posted : 08 September 2009 16:43:21(UTC)

A " plastic pub " wot the @@@@ ! , a tie and no work clothes, no juke boxes, darts, games, etc god might as well not spend any money on it then as no one will be in it , oh maybe a handful of trad pint sippers hardly enough to help with the running costs of such a large pub as many of even the small pubs found out . .
Over the hill but not far away  
#6 Posted : 08 September 2009 16:56:50(UTC)

We already have two pub's right up your street now Mr J.  No need to name them-ties optional, but don't always work with a fleece.

Cheers

RockBanker  
#7 Posted : 08 September 2009 16:58:58(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Well, it's a big enough place so it should have enough space for all sorts; a public bar with jukebox, games & widescreen, a dining room for families and a lounge for us fogeys who want to drink a few pints and read the papers in a bit of peace. WiFi would be good too.

G. Jackson  
#8 Posted : 08 September 2009 21:26:06(UTC)
G. Jackson

Every time I go into the Three Stags Heads at Wardlow Mires it is packed full of beer drinkers and they don't have any of the "plastic pub " things.

Edited by user 08 September 2009 21:27:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Dora Gibson  
#9 Posted : 09 September 2009 00:10:52(UTC)
Dora Gibson

In my youth I was a sliver-service waitress at the Jodrell - yes child, slave labour, but it meant I could buy more books...... However, the kitchens were immaculate and I got free food to take home because the chef liked my...................... eyes!
#10 Posted : 09 September 2009 09:56:17(UTC)

The three stags -now there's a place to wear a tie and take a lady!--but only if she has lurchers, is into badger baiting-doesn't want ice in her drink or lemon or anything at all other than beer-even if she would like a shandy-it will be their choice of beer only and warm lemonade from a plastic bottle.

Dont even think about going in the back room or  Jeff will scowl and reluctantly throw a log on the fire-whilst muttering.  The toilets are worse than those in (remember the toilet test before dining) rural Morrocco.  The beer is more expensive than the Lowry hotel in Manchester so take plenty of cash or Hares to barter with. 

Was good on a Saturday night though when a band  and the Black Lurcher is on- the foods good as well-just don't wonder what the Lurchers do in the kitchen.  Very dog friendly-so friendly that if you don't adore a giant lurchers head on your lap  f off!--and SHUT THE DOOR behind you quickly so they don't get out! 

Do not ask for lager or use terms like ice and slice or spritzer-even the dogs will go quiet!

Cheers

Edited by user 09 September 2009 16:40:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RockBanker  
#11 Posted : 09 September 2009 09:59:49(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Ah yes, the Three Stags Head. Not, I think a great example for how the Jodrell could be. It is really a hobby pub, only open weekends and small enough that a dozen customers make it seem full. You could also argue that it is run in such a wilfully anachronistic manner as to make it as artificial as any ‘plastic pub’ (whatever that may mean).

Edited by user 09 September 2009 14:23:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

H  
#12 Posted : 09 September 2009 20:17:17(UTC)

Its nice to hear you all need somewhere to take 'your' ladies. I know this may come as a shock to some of you gentlemen,  but as lady  Im quite capable of taking myself into a pub , although  coming out of one sometimes poses a bit of a problem. I can even go to the bar and order and pay for a round of drinks

G. Jackson  
#13 Posted : 09 September 2009 20:52:51(UTC)
G. Jackson

A lady who buys a round, WOW ! Where were you when I needed you. Now, due to the prostate, the only drink I seem to get is Horlicks. Still I have my memory, a lot my age don't.
Dora Gibson  
#14 Posted : 12 September 2009 14:35:11(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Dear General Jackson,

In my youth I used to work the hills with my lurcher, adolf. Unlike the name, she was a very pleasant natured animal and the beauty was, she never barked - no, not never! We caught many a hare and rabbit and do you know, that if your dog eats the fur from a hare or rabbit, then it acts as a natural wormer? See, I'm not as green as I am cabbage looking, talking of which, I'm feeling hungry. As for horlicks, ughhhhhhh! What you need down you is a stiff, strong, glass of fortified port, it will do your prostate the world of good. So says Dora.
H  
#15 Posted : 13 September 2009 15:14:43(UTC)

Whaley currently has a plaque next to the car park for the' well' dressing, why not actually use the Jodrell well for the dressing instead

Dora Gibson  
#16 Posted : 13 September 2009 22:38:41(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Dear H, That is such a clever and sensible idea that, I think we should take a vote on it. What do you all think out there in computer land?