logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
frjamie@talktalk.net  
#61 Posted : 30 December 2009 15:21:19(UTC)

Groups: Guest

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Dear R S S, and forum  readers,

Hope you all had a very good Christmas.

As you know we had our Advent Carol Service on Dec 11th,  and raised lots of donations for Daniels Light.

I was recently leading a retreat, and took  the people who came to Earwood Hall.

As I have said before it is one of the best places to go to on our door steps !

However, over the years  when I do go into St Josephs Shrine, to put  flowers or to take candles, I always end up with giving it a clean out, from broken glass etc.

I have never found the Shrine to be smashed up in all these years, and that is perhaps one of the best things about it.

However I am sure that the Shrine is moving more, as the door does not seem to open as much these days.

Am I right in thinking that the Water Board repaired it last time, and if so  do they need to carry out building work in order to keep it safe for the future ?

In the meantime I look forward to hearing from you, and may I take this time to wish you all a Happy New Year for 2010.

Jamie

A quick message to our resident photographer, Mr Parabuild.

Sir, last summer you provided us with some great photos of the now derelict Errwood Hall and I asked if you had had the chance to visit the Shrine and graveyard.
You said that you hadn’t had enough time but it really must go to the top of your list of things to do.

I don’t imagine anyone would expect you to go up there this evening but it has to be a priority. You wasted enough time looking for Old Silverheels this year and that particular discussion was brought to an abrupt halt by some unscrupulous person who thought it would be good fun to have a laugh at mine and your expense by planting a set of pot cow’s legs on the by-pass roundabout.

However, I am sure there will be no such childish pranks on this occasion.

The graveyard is just above the derelict Hall; about a ten minute walk. The Shrine is best reached by going across the dam wall from Long Hill and turning right up the Embridge Causeway then after about a mile you will see a pull-in with a little gate. The Shrine is about a ten minute walk down the path and a half hour walk back up again.

Inside the Shrine there are usually fresh flowers, money donations and letters asking for good health etc.

I did leave a small donation and a little note about my bad back but it has not worked as yet. But fingers are still crossed on that one. I fear I may need to increase my donation to guarantee results; but there is nothing in there that implies ‘no result – no fee’.

Below is an old photo of the Shrine so that you do not take a picture of the wrong building.

Good luck on your new quest Mr Parabuild.

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#62 Posted : 30 December 2009 19:23:53(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Where’s this Earwood Hall then?

Errwood Hall was compulsory purchased by Stockport Corporation in preparation for the construction of Fernilee Reservoir. Stockport Corporation feared that Errwood Hall would pollute the proposed Reservoir.

Yes you are reading this correctly. I know it is surprising that a domestic property would somehow pollute a reservoir that was miles away; and this was long after the introduction of septic tanks and filter systems.

Anyway that is what happened.

The land and property were taken over by Stockport Water Board and they most certainly had a duty of care to all the buildings and the burial ground. I am not 100% sure if this extended to the Shrine but it would be remarkable if it did not.

The Shrine was re-roofed many years after Errwood closed so I have to presume that Stockport Water Board footed the bill.

Stockport Water Board eventually became part of North West Water and that in turn became part of that wonderful company United Utilities.

If the Shrine is in need of repair due to subsidence, vandalism or whatever I would not expect United Utilities to leap into action.

In fact depending on the terms of the ownership agreement I would not be one bit surprised if it were offered for sale by auction.

You might be surprised just what UU are selling off.

In fact they sold, only a couple of months ago, the old Diglee Reservoir, which was Whaley’s first running water supply, for £17,000

The Shrine was in fact vandalised in 1974/75 when some thoughtful person decided it would be a good idea to gouge the eyes out of the figures on the tiles.

I seem to think that damage repair work was paid for by Diocese of Chester but I am not certain.

Anyway the repairs were carried out fairly quickly, thank goodness.

R. S-S

parabuild  
#63 Posted : 10 January 2010 12:31:38(UTC)
parabuild

Man

A  photograph found on the internet of Goyt's Moss Sough..   I don't know the precise locations but it appears to be at the head of the Goyt Valley.  Presumably this drained a coal pit.

Edited by user 10 January 2010 12:32:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
goyt's moss sough.jpg (312kb) downloaded 161 time(s).
frjamie@talktalk.net  
#64 Posted : 10 January 2010 12:49:05(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Dear David,

Many thanks for giving us the chance to see this picture.

I can not think of the location,  but I am sure that  a few people  on this forum will know of its location and perhaps its use or even its history !

Curious  
#65 Posted : 19 February 2010 19:10:43(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Going back to R. S-S post number 44 here, we went up to Errwood on     5 December to try and take a picture from the same spot that his picture was taken before they flooded the valley - I've attached my best two - what do you think?  I'll try and go again, but this time I'll wait for a long hot summer night, it was getting a bit chilly while I was trying to find the best spot to take these.

Mrs Curious

File Attachment(s):
DSCF0044[1] (2,363kb) downloaded 122 time(s).
DSCF0047[1] (2,462kb) downloaded 76 time(s).
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#66 Posted : 19 February 2010 21:33:08(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A very good evening to you Mrs Curious,

I must thank you for those photographs it was very good of you to brave the elements on behalf of the good members of this forum.

I post below again what I think to be a unique photo of Errwood Hall and make no apologies for doing so:

R. S-S

There is more to come on here about Errwood Hall.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#67 Posted : 20 February 2010 17:56:43(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Mrs Curious,

This is a photo of Errwood Hall just for you.

I presume that you have been up there on many occasions like myself.

It is the oldest photo that I have of the Hall; I know there are a lot more knocking about Whaley and there are even some of the inside of that fine property.
I would dearly like to see those photos.
You haven’t got one by any chance have you?

R. S-S

Curious  
#68 Posted : 20 February 2010 19:17:57(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Hi R.S-S

Thanks for the photo - sorry I haven't got any photos of the Hall, other than those you've posted on here or those that are in local history books. 

The YouTube link below has some great photos of Goyt Valley and surrounding area – you have to excuse the spelling in places though.

I’ve also attached an article from the Times dated 6 February 1930 which has a picture of Valley before it was flooded. I’m still trying to find out if there was an article that went with it and I’ll post it later if I can.

Mrs Curious

File Attachment(s):
Goyt Valley Objections Times 6Feb1930.pdf (1,854kb) downloaded 257 time(s).
parabuild  
#69 Posted : 17 March 2010 18:09:06(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I am told that this scene is in the Goyt Valley.  As there are stepping stones in the foreground, could this be at Goyt's Bridge ?

parabuild attached the following image(s):
P1050693.jpg
parabuild  
#70 Posted : 21 March 2010 18:09:54(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Nice postcard at present for sale on e.bay

parabuild attached the following image(s):
paint mills, goyt valley.jpg
nce  
#71 Posted : 24 March 2010 13:43:47(UTC)
nce

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

In the meantime I post below a colour photo of Errwood Hall.

RSS, I don't think that's a colour photo. I Think it is a recoloured photo of the B&W one you posted earlier.

N.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#72 Posted : 02 April 2010 14:50:27(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Mr Parabuild,

That is a rare photo indeed. It is the only one that I have ever seen of Paint Mill Cottages but I do know a little of the history of Paint Mills, Goyt Valley.

Jon and Horwich Ender will love this if they ever read it.

But first a location check:

Paint Mills is the quarry high up in the Valley where the Council built some stone toilets, kept them permanently locked and then knocked them down.

Here is a photo of a car being driven past Paint Mills just so that we all know exactly where we are:

Why the name Paint Mills? There are no mills there and there never have been. But there is a great flow of water at the side of the quarry and once there was a water wheel there and it was used for crushing barytes stone into fine powder which was then used in the manufacture of paint.
The stone was brought from an outside source and the stone from Paint Mill quarry was not used for this purpose.
However, Paint Mill quarry stone was/is of first class quality and was used all over the country where best quality stone was required.
For instance Regent Street in London was paved with the stone from this quarry and parts of the floor of the Houses of Parliament were also paved with it.
I’ll do a little more research but I think Pickford’s, the removal people, started their business by carting stone from there to London.

There is an underground concrete storage reservoir at the side of the quarry and this had a pipeline directly to the underground reservoir that is on Disley Tops. It was completely gravity fed and I think it may still be in use even today.

More later.

Bet you enjoyed that eh Jon?

R. S-S

parabuild  
#73 Posted : 02 April 2010 17:32:00(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Pickford's which became a very large nationwide transport organisation was of course local in it's origins. Pickford's were general carriers and also operated a fleet of canal narrowboats. I understand that their first depot was on King Edward Street in Macclesfield.  The building later became Macclesfield's first bus garage where the "British" fleet was based. It still existed in a modified form until perhaps 10 or 15 years ago.

G. Jackson  
#74 Posted : 03 April 2010 11:06:42(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Parabuild, I read somewhere many, many years ago that the firm if Pickfords started in the Goyt Valley. They had teams of pack mules that took setts from local quarries and delivered them to London. It was written that all the setts that formed all the streets of London were from Derbyshire. No mean feat for the donkeys.  I think of the poor donkeys and then think of my donkey that hasn't had anything on her back which is perfectly straight and given that she is now in her 20's is pretty good. By the way, she laughs at me when she sees me carrying bales of hay and straw across her field, FOR HER.

parabuild  
#75 Posted : 03 April 2010 12:26:07(UTC)
parabuild

Man

You might well be right Mr Jackson that Pickfords started in the Goyt Valley.  It was perhaps their first haulage depot that was in Macclesfield.  I wouldn't argue the point myself but I do know that Macclesfield folk have always claimed Pickford's as one of their own along with Hovis but then they would, wouldn't they ?

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#76 Posted : 03 April 2010 15:42:29(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I am as near as certain as I can be that Pickford’s owned Paint Mill Quarry, Goyt Valley and they carted stone from there to pave Regent Street and the floors in the Houses of Parliament. It would seem that they operated the quarry from as early as 1646.
They hauled from Manchester to London and because they were astute business people they had depots in both London and Manchester so that they could haul goods both ways.

An interesting article is to be found in the Manchester Mercury:

27 July 1756

This is to acquaintall Gentlemen, Tradesmen, and others that james pickford, the London and Manchester Waggoner, has removed his Waggon from the Blossom’s Inn, in Lawrence Lane, London to the Bell-Inn, in Wood-street, Cheapside, London from whence it goes every Wednesday :   And his other Waggon goes every Saturday, as usual, from the White Bear in Basingnhall Street, London.    Each Waggon, for the Carriage of Goods and Passengers, at reasonable Rates, goes by and through the Towns undermentioned, viz. Newcastle under Line, Congleton, Macclesfield, Stockport to Manchester; and delivers goods &c. for Ashton under Line, Oldham, Rochdale, Bury, Bolton, and other adjacent Places.    At which Places, Gentlemen &c. may depend on having their Goods, &c. safely delivered.
                                      By Their humble Servant

james pickford

N.B.    No Money, Plate, Jewels, China Ware, Glass, or Writings, will be accounted for, unless a true Account of them is delivered to the Book-keeper :   And Constant Attendance is given every Day at the above said Inns, in London, to agree with Passengers to take in Goods.

john Jones,    Book keeper to both Waggons.

It would also seem that they had offered some of their ‘fleet’ to the Government during the Napoleonic Wars in 1803.

This again from the Machester Mercury:

12 July 1803

Amongst the many patriotic offers of service, which we hope will convince the infuriated First Consul of France of the ill success which will attend any attempt of his to invade this country, we have to notice that of Messrs Pickford, carriers from this town to London, viz. 400 horses, 50 waggons, and 28 boats, to be employed as Government shall think fit.

R. S-S

Gnatalee  
#77 Posted : 03 April 2010 17:20:34(UTC)
Gnatalee

There is an interesting history of Pickfords on their website http://www.pickfords.co.uk/pickfords-history.

I have recently read a history of the Chester canal and Pickfords were big players in the transportation business on the canals.

It seems their road and canal businesses complemented each other and it is very interesting that they are still in existence today, after all the trials and tribulations of transport - horse-drawn, rail, canal, motor driven wagons etc.

Gnats

Edited by user 03 April 2010 17:21:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild  
#78 Posted : 03 April 2010 22:29:36(UTC)
parabuild

Man

A Short Film Clip

www.britishpathe.com/record.php

And from the Moving History website:

www.movinghistory.ac.uk/archives/nw/films/nw6goyt.html

Edited by user 04 April 2010 10:33:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

David Jepson  
#79 Posted : 21 June 2010 23:41:42(UTC)
David Jepson

I recently came across this excellent forum whilst searching for information on Goyts Head Farm which was occupied by my gggggg grandparents Thomas and Mary Lomas.Thomas  died in 1781 and is buried at St Stephens in Macclesfield Forest along with other relatives.I would dearly like to see a photograph of the buildings which stood just south of Goyts Bridge between the Goyt and Wildmoorstone Brook.Does such a photograph exist?

David Jepson

Horwich Ender  
#80 Posted : 24 June 2010 17:34:13(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good afternoon David and welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure whether the photograph you are looking for exists but the person who is most likely to be able to answer your question is R. Stephenson-Smythe.

R. S-S is currently working away until July and will not have seen your request. I would suggest you repost when he returns as I am sure he will be willing to help you in any way he can.

In the meantime I attach a link showing other photographs of Errwood and the Goyt Valley which I hope will be of interest to forum members.

http://www.macccam.co.uk/DERBYSHIRE/Goyt%20Valley/errwood0305.html

http://www.macccam.co.uk/DERBYSHIRE/Goyt%20Valley/Goyt0703.html