logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#21 Posted : 24 September 2010 20:42:04(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

Hi Shallcross and Mrs Curious

On the photograph, in the middle of the back row, you have ? Jones. I believe this to be my grandmother, Lucy Jane Jones nee Bradley. Lucy was born in 1884 and married in 1906 so, for her to be named Jones it has to have been taken after 1906. I was thrilled to see this picture, she was instantly recognisable to me and I have taken it to my Dad, in hospital, who recognised her straight away. Thank you for posting such an interesting photograph.

Gnats

Edited by user 24 September 2010 20:43:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shallcross  
#22 Posted : 24 September 2010 21:16:54(UTC)
shallcross

Good Evening Mrs C & Gnatalee

You are correct Mrs C I can't read my own writing I will amend the date on the post so as not to cause confusion, so that will i think date the Photograph a little earlier and Gnatalee thank you for filling in a bit more, the other names on the photo were given by my grandmother before she died in 2000 so she may have known your grandmother as Mrs Jones meaning this may have been taken before her marriage, lets hope someone else can add something else, I will add Lucy Jane to the captions.

Shallcross
shallcross  
#23 Posted : 25 September 2010 20:49:23(UTC)
shallcross

This is another of Goyt Mill not the best quality again I am afraid  but recognisable.

I dont know any on here so come on detectives do your stuff.

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Whaley - Goyt Mill Workers.jpg
Shallcross
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#24 Posted : 19 October 2011 14:37:08(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I have just noticed that Gnatalee is logged on to the forum and I have just read her post about Bridge Street and Goyt Mill or The Shed as it was known.

Do you have any photos of it Gnats or if not can you remember it?

This to jog your memory if you can't.

Edited by user 20 October 2011 13:27:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#25 Posted : 19 October 2011 15:23:39(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hello R.S-S

I believe I do remember the Mill - wasn't it the other side of the "wall" from George Street? My Auntie lived in George Street when I was quite small and their house faced the boundary wall, if I remember. I like your picture of the mill and would be interested to know what was being celebrated at the time it was taken? There appear to be banners hanging out of windows.

The shed was often a subject of discussion between members of the family - both my Dad and his sister and their mother had all worked there at various times. It must've been a very big employer in the locality.

As an aside, I often see names mentioned on this site of people who were acquaintances of my family - the name Trickett, which is mentioned on another thread recently, is one; also Shirt, Derbyshire, Oldham, Depledge and of course Joe Twigg. When I was young and I sat listening to all the "catching-up" on village life being discussed by various family members when we visited, I wished that I had taken more note of the stories - of course, it was mostly "hatched", "matched" and "despatched" !!

I haven't got any pictures of the mill, sadly.

Gnats

Edited by user 19 October 2011 15:25:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#26 Posted : 19 October 2011 18:57:36(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Picture from post #24

Norm attached the following image(s):
6260204139_bceb83235c_z.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#27 Posted : 20 October 2011 13:32:04(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Gnats,

You are quite correct that a large wall separated Johnson Street from the Shed; I seem to recall that it made the front rooms quite dark but maybe that is not correct and it is just how I remembered it.

There was also another road around the back of the Shed from the bottom of Bridge Street which went into the Council Yard when we had Whaley Bridge Urban District Council. All the tackle was kept round there locked behind the gates in a couple of sheds. By tackle I mean shovels, brushes and wheelbarrows. Anything really that the council workers could either lean on or sit in.
And right in the corner was Whaley Mortuary.
Now this is not for the feint hearted but when we were young you could climb over the gates, sometimes the dustbin men forgot to close them when they parked the dustbin cart before they went to the Goyt Inn.
The Mortuary had a small window in the side gable and if you climbed on to the cill you could see the white slab and, of course, anything on it.
Personally, although I peeked in on a few occasions thankfully I never saw anything other than the slab itself.

You could take a short cut from the Bings down to Whaley down the path, through the farm and just besides the Mortuary were some iron ‘kissing gates’. I don’t know if they are still there today.
When you went through the ‘kissing gate’ there was a huge wooden fence on your right and you followed this and came out in front of the Shed and you simply walked along the front of the factory and came out at the junction of Johnson Street and Bridge Street.

The view of the Shed that you probably will recall is on the photo below.

R. S-S

Photo now below courtesy of Well Known Norm.

Edited by user 20 October 2011 17:52:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#28 Posted : 20 October 2011 17:31:19(UTC)
Norm

Man

Photo from post #27

6263042153_f3c37d2714_z.jpg
High Peak Harry  
#29 Posted : 20 October 2011 19:00:41(UTC)
High Peak Harry

You're right about that wall. I worked there in 1981 for Longdon Transport and I remember it being fairly tall. The street itself wasn't very wide so the houses were quite close to the wall as well.
G. Jackson  
#30 Posted : 20 October 2011 19:26:28(UTC)
G. Jackson

My mother and her mother both worked in "The Shed" and when as a little boy I went in there to see them after school the noise was deafening. The ladies in there couldn't talk or shout to each other but talked in the same way  Les Dawson used to, just by mouthing the words and the others lip read. When I used to see Les Dawson on the TV it always reminded me of them. The windows in the roof were covered with whitewash to prevent the sun's rays warming the place up too much. Not for the ladies comfort but if it got too hot the cotton threads would snap.

Edited by user 20 October 2011 19:27:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#31 Posted : 20 October 2011 20:54:18(UTC)
Gnatalee

That's an interesting point, GJ, about your mother and her mother working in "The Shed" - I wonder how many families were employed there - I think perhaps it was one of the few places which gave women chances of work. That said, I remember my maternal grandmother telling me that when she was a young girl she had to move around work places when the work dried up. She said that because they were on "piecework", ie paid for the items of work completed, in "quiet" times they did needlewok until the next batch came in - but batches of what I do not know !! I now have table cloths which she made with lacey crocheted edges - they must be 80-90 years old by now. She also did embroidery. She did say that her mother was very insistent that she switch jobs when the workload fell.

That said, I am wondering what other work premises were available around 1915 - 1925 timespan. Does anyone know what other types of factory work were available for women at that time? 

Gnats

Edited by user 20 October 2011 20:57:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#32 Posted : 21 October 2011 12:51:34(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

My Mum, her 4 sisters and my Grandma all worked there.

Here are the women at work but getting ready for a short Christmas break.

R. S-S

Edited by user 22 October 2011 13:40:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shallcross  
#33 Posted : 21 October 2011 16:00:26(UTC)
shallcross

A number of my relations also worked at the Shed, here is a group from the 50s including Diane Clayton (front right) Annie Roome nee Depledge (Right hand side near back) and Mrs Dransfield (far left third row from back). can anybody add any more?

Edited by user 21 October 2011 16:02:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shallcross attached the following image(s):
GOYT MILL.jpg
Shallcross
Norm  
#34 Posted : 21 October 2011 17:49:36(UTC)
Norm

Man

Photo from post #32

6266335550_2a84eae89d_z.jpg
aussie  
#35 Posted : 21 May 2012 08:34:58(UTC)
aussie

my grandmother Mary seel {TRUMAN} workrd at the mill as a weaver. In 1911 she was a widow living at Bingswood Cottages with her daughters Barbera Helen, Lilly, and Mary Ann my mother, they were all listed as weavers, my mother was 11 yrs old at the time. My Grandfather Thomas Seel was a clogger from Manchester. Mum had a good singing voice and I'm told sang at the mill in breaks. I also remember going into the mill, the noise, wet floors and the fluff in peoples hair are the things I remember.

Edited by user 23 May 2012 22:35:40(UTC)  | Reason: mistake

Adnepos  
#36 Posted : 04 June 2012 23:08:03(UTC)
Adnepos

shallcross wrote:

This is another of Goyt Mill not the best quality again I am afraid  but recognisable.

I dont know any on here so come on detectives do your stuff.

Fairly sure the face marked is my grandmother's, May NADIN b Fernilee 1894

Edited by user 04 June 2012 23:09:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Adnepos attached the following image(s):
Whaley_Goyt_Mill_Workers_edited-1.jpg
Digger  
#37 Posted : 09 June 2012 19:52:42(UTC)
Digger

aussie wrote:

my grandmother Mary seel {TRUMAN} workrd at the mill as a weaver. In 1911 she was a widow living at Bingswood Cottages with her daughters Barbera Helen, Lilly, and Mary Ann my mother, they were all listed as weavers, my mother was 11 yrs old at the time. My Grandfather Thomas Seel was a clogger from Manchester. Mum had a good singing voice and I'm told sang at the mill in breaks. I also remember going into the mill, the noise, wet floors and the fluff in peoples hair are the things I remember.

I apologise to the Forum if I am not supposed to do this? I don't know of any other way.

Hello Aussie,

Seel is an unusual name . My Grandmother's maiden name ws Seel. I wondered if you recognise any of the names in the list?

DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99"
LatentStyleCount="267"> UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1" />

UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference" /> UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title" />

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

JOSEPH SEEL.

Born approx 1853.

Died 1901 aged 48 years old.            

Dropped dead in Boggart Hole Clough, Blackley, Manchester.

Death certificate.June Quarter 1901 Prestwich. Ref 8d 294.

Wife’s name. Mary Ann Langshaw. (May have remarried to another Mary born in Yorkshire).

Children. Lucy, Mable, Emily, Jane, William.

1881 Census Ref 4030/46/35.

3 Barnes Street, Harpurhey, Manchester.

Joseph Seel      head    Age 28                        Occ. Clerk       b. Newton Heath, Manchester.

Mary A.           wife             27            ------------         b. Salford, Manchester.

Jane                 dau               9             Scholar            b. Manchester.

William            son               6              Scholar            b. Manchester.

Emily               dau              2              ------------         b. Manchester.

MARY ANN LANGSHAW

Born approx 1854.

Died.

Regards

Digger

Edited by user 09 June 2012 19:53:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#38 Posted : 09 June 2012 22:11:22(UTC)
Gnatalee

In reply to Aussie - post no.35

Hi  Aussie, found your post interesting as we have common family tree members !!

Mary Trueman was sister to my Great Grandmother Annetta Trueman - Mary was 4 years younger than Annetta.

As can be seen on the 1871 and 1891 census for the family (below) - Mary Trueman (Seal) is shown as a member of the Trueman family (1871) and with her husband and daughter in her mother's household (1891).

So "Aussie", your Grandmother was my Great-Grandmother's younger sister. This makes Lucy Jane Jones in the photograph of post number 17 on the Goyt Mill thread the niece of your Grandmother (I think !). See the census listings below, generously provided by Ancestry.co.uk.

1871 Census – living at Mount Pleasant

Joseph Trueman (Head) 52 (Stone Quarryman)
Dinah Trueman (Wife) 48
Robert Trueman (Son) 25 (Stone Quarryman)
Annetta Trueman (Daughter) 16 (Cotton Weaver)
Mary Trueman (Daughter) 12
Sarah Jane Trueman (Daughter) 8
Joseph William Trueman (Son) 5

1891 Census – living in Bridge Street as one household !

Dinah Trueman (Head) 66
Robert Slack (Son) 45
Mary Seal (Daughter) 32 (Cotton Weaver)
Dinah Bradley (Granddaughter) 14 (Cotton Weaver)
William Trueman (Grandson) 6
Ronald Trueman (Grandson) 2
Edith Trueman (Granddaughter) 1 mth
Sarah Jane Trueman (Daughter) 28 (Domestic Servant)
Barabra Seal (Granddaughter) 9 mths
Timothy Beard (Visitor) 35
Thomas Seal (Son-in-law) 36 (Clogger)
Hugh Tommy (Boarder) 34

Gnats

Edited by user 09 June 2012 22:15:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shallcross  
#39 Posted : 09 June 2012 23:45:10(UTC)
shallcross

Hi Aussie

Complex this family stuff isn't it Gnatlee shows the 1891 Census Dinah (Trueman) Bradley she married John Charles Depledge and that connects you to my Family Tree.

Shallcross
Gnatalee  
#40 Posted : 10 June 2012 06:45:58(UTC)
Gnatalee

Just shows how small a world this is !

Gnats