logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#21 Posted : 24 February 2010 08:05:06(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

I am only a little wiser having looked up Tonic Sol-fa in Wikipedia.  I have always been baffled by musical notation.

The Guardian article about the laying of the foundation stone is the first mention of the Mechanics Institute. There is just a brief mention that it is to replace an existing premises.

parabuild  
#22 Posted : 06 March 2010 08:12:39(UTC)
parabuild

Man

A Royal Visitor

July 1926 and the a guest at the Sycamore Guest House was The Infanta Eulalie, aunt of the King of Spain. The previous day she had visited the King and Queen at Buckingham palace.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
sycamore.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#23 Posted : 06 March 2010 09:55:38(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

A very good morning to you David,

I trust you had a very restful night and the torrents of water raging beneath you didn’t disturb your slumbers too much.

“The Sycamores” to which you have referred us to is within the township of Bradshaw Edge, Whaley Bridge.

Bradshaw Edge had the same status as Fernilee or Taxal. You will see mention of it on many occasions on past censuses and on grave stones.

I do hope that The Infanta Eulalie slept well in 1926 because there had been recent mining activities around there also; obviously not as serious as the ones beneath you property but mining activities just the same.

I can’t read the date on the back of this postcard but I suspect it is before 1926 and it was sent to;

Miss Jeanie Edgar,
‘House name unreadable’
Carlaverock,
Dumfries

The stamp bearing the King’s head was stuck on upside down.

Those Scots, eh?

R. S-S

parabuild  
#24 Posted : 06 March 2010 11:34:06(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I am sleeping quite soundly thank you R.S-S.  I am quite confident that neither vast quantities of water nor extensive mining activities will disturb the solid ground on which my home stands. I am grateful though for your concern and will call on you should I need a lifebelt.

Bradshaw Edge as you point out is referred to quite frequently and held a considerable population.  I note that there is a house on Eccles Road called "The Sycamores" although it looks quite different from that on the postcard.  Could the Guest House have been at this location ?

BE.jpg
parabuild  
#25 Posted : 06 March 2010 11:53:20(UTC)
parabuild

Man

No I can't swim !

94433041.jpg
parabuild  
#26 Posted : 07 March 2010 08:36:02(UTC)
parabuild

Man

A HOME OF YOUR OWN

The Pre War Building Company are giving way houses for nothing !  For one penny a week a box of matches will be delivered to your home. Each box is numbered and every week a blind ex service man will draw a number. If the number is yours you will be given a £400 house on the new Garden City Estate in Whaley Bridge.

The scheme in 1926 unfortunately was deemed a lottery and was illegal resulting in fines for the promoters.   Three winners had been declared and were waiting for completion of their new homes. 

And in September 1928 if you cound find £25...............

8.9.1928.jpg
parabuild  
#27 Posted : 12 March 2010 10:18:15(UTC)
parabuild

Man

The Sycamores had a lengthy period as a guest house and frequently advertised in "The Guardian".  The first classified which I have found was dated 22nd November 1919.  In July 1931 this 14 bedroomed house was advertised for auction.  By 21st November 1931 the Sycamores was to re-open for Christmas under the management of Mrs L G Camper.  This guest house stayed open throughout the second world war and the final ad is dated 8th November 1948.  

22.11.1919.jpg
28.7.1931.jpg
21.11.1931.jpg