logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2010 14:17:22(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

On the 9th February 1957 a freight train’s brakes failed as it was travelling down from Buxton.

The driver of the train was John Axon who stayed in his train trying to stop it all the way through Dove Holes until it crashed into the back of another freight train at Chapel Station.
Mr Axon was killed as was the guard, John Creamer, on the other train.
A tragic event by any standards.
Mr Axon was hailed a hero and was awarded the George Cross posthumously.

Fifty years later, yes that’s right fifty, tribute was paid to these two railway workers: a plaque was unveiled at Chapel station as a tribute to the two men who gave their lives in the course of duty.
Not before time if you ask me and part of your duty is not giving up your life for your employers.

But that is not the only crash on that line that has claimed the lives of the railwaymen. We’ve had one here in Whaley and it wasn’t 50 years ago. It was 125 years ago next week.

A train left the line and ended up in Wharf Road both the driver and the guard were killed.
It happened on February 17th 1885 at 10.03 pm the men were Robert Bagshaw and William Moores.
Frozen signals were the cause of the accident it was decided.

So the men did nothing wrong except to turn up for work that day but I do not know if any lasting tribute has ever been paid to the men involved in that Whaley crash.
Maybe there has been a fitting tribute to the 2 men who went to work one day and never came home; I really don’t know. If there has I personally have not heard about it.

I can’t recall seeing a plaque at the bridge or on the station a short distance away. That’s not to say there isn’t one but if there isn’t maybe there should be.
I haven’t been on Whaley Station for quite a few years now but certainly I have been since 1885 and I still can not recall anything.

As I say there may well be something and hopefully there is but it is a significant anniversary in the history of rail travel in Whaley Bridge and if nothing has been done in the past then this year could be the one that finally remembers the men who went to work and never came home.

Perhaps the Friends of Whaley Station, some of whom are also on WBTC, could come on here and let us know.

R. S-S

Gnatalee  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2010 16:12:07(UTC)
Gnatalee

Another interesting post R. S-S, although very sad that such an accident is long forgotten and unmarked. Mr Bagshaw and Mr Moores turn up for a normal day's work and don't return home. Do you know whether these men were local to Whaley?

The picture is intriguing since there doesn't seem to be a great deal of damage to the engine, considering it landed in Wharf Road! I wonder how they removed the engine?

Gnats

Edited by user 10 February 2010 17:45:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2010 16:58:37(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Gnats,

Thank you for your interest in my post.
I really don’t know anything about the 2 men who lost their lives that day and I do not think I will be able to find anything out but I’ll try and delve further.

With regards to the removal of the train: well this was a valuable piece of kit and rather than cut it up they quite simply lifted it back up on to the lines and it probably continued working.
It was probably thought more valuable than either Mr Bagshaw or Mr Moores.

Below is the simple lifting technique which is still used in certain circumstances even today.

R. S-S

G. Jackson  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2010 17:25:17(UTC)
G. Jackson

Wonderful photos again R.S-S, but why is Brian Woolley in all your photographs? Are you his  secret admirer ? OR ARE YOU HIM ???    You seem to know a lot about W.B. !!!

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2010 18:17:30(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good Evening Jackson,

For your information and this information has been on this forum before; Mr Brian Wooley is indeed a very good friend of mine. I was talking to him earlier today as a matter of fact.

Sadly he is not included in the personnel that made up the rescue team on those photos. He was a very young man at the time.

But looking at the photos a little more closely I do see a resemblance in one man to someone I used to know.
It is the man in the second recovery photo with the large hat on the very large head hiding behind an even larger beard.

R. S-S

Gnatalee  
#6 Posted : 10 February 2010 18:26:10(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hello

I've been doing a little research ('cos I'm just plain nosey) about the two gentleman who died in this train crash.

Firstly, Robert Bagshaw: the death of Robert Edward Bagshaw appears on FreeBMD showing that he was 29 years old and the death was registered in the March quarter 1885 in Macclesfield. (The March quarter covers Jan,Feb,March).  This would mean he was born c.1856 (depending on the month of birth).

On the 1881 census there is a Robert Edward Basgshaw living with his parents and siblings at Higher Eaves, Chapel-en-le-Frith. His occupation is given as Fireman, L_NWR (which I assume is the railway company involved). In the household in 1881 are William Bagshaw (Farmer) age 57, Emily Hannah age 52, Robert Edward age 26 unmarried, Edwin Bagshaw age 20 (unmarried) apprentice joiner, Elizabeth __ Bagshaw age 18, Emily Annie Bagshaw age 16. I am unable to decipher the occupation of Elizabeth.

William Moores is proving a little more difficult to track down. There is no record on FreeBMD for his death in the March quarter for either Cheshire/Derbyshire but there is a record for the September quarter for the death of a William Moores age 40 in Stockport which suggests, if this is the correct person, he didn't die in the accident but later on. Of course, I cannot say that this is the right person - it needs a little more investigation!

Regarding Robert Bagshaw, there may still be family members living locally who have heard about this accident involving a family member.

I will carry on trying to find out any more information

Gnats

Edited by user 10 February 2010 18:32:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 10 February 2010 19:13:06(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good evening once more Gnats,

Only two words to say about that post:

Simply Brilliant.

Keep it up Gnatalee this is getting really good.

When we hear from the 2 Town Councillors on here who are also members of The Friends of Whaley Station we shall know even better how this topic should develop.

In the meantime thank you for your very kind email the other day I shall get back to you tomorrow with some updates.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#8 Posted : 10 February 2010 21:56:50(UTC)
Gnatalee

I have just read the report in The Guardian for this accident and it states there were 3 men on the engine - the driver, the stoker and the guard. Robert Bagshaw is named as the driver and the report states that he was 29 and lived with his parents at Ivy Cottage in Chapel-en-le-Frith.

After the train left the rails the stoker jumped to the ground and escaped with a severe shaking (he is named as James Morton who resided at Stone Bench (?), Buxton.

William Moore is reported as being one year younger than Robert Bagshaw, married and living at Edgeley in Stockport - I suspect this rules out the William Moore who I found earlier on the FreeBMD index. This needs even more investigation now!

Both men who died did so at the scene although they didn't die immediately - one did not regain consciousness and the other was able to speak a few words - both were dead within 15-20 mins.

Gnats

Edited by user 10 February 2010 22:41:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Devious  
#9 Posted : 10 February 2010 22:34:10(UTC)
Devious

My father took me to see the accident at Chapel station on the evening it happened. I remember going on his old Panther motorbike. It was very cold and I had long trousers on this time. It was quite a sad sight looking over the wreck of the trains.

DEVIOUS  

CllrJonG  
#10 Posted : 10 February 2010 23:30:07(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

Lots of information about the Chapel crash exists:

Chapel-en-le-Frith South (L.M.R.): high speed rear-end collision between two f trains; 0 + 2; the brake steam pipe of the loco in the rear burst filling the cab with steam, the crew could only partly close the regulator as the train ran away down the incline although the fireman jumped clear to apply some wagon brakes; 9.2.57

Also: from http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsummary.php?eventID=112 there is the official report about the accident, which is attached.

And on http://www.stephen-stratford.co.uk/railwaymen.htm is a report about how John Axon obtained his George Cross. An electric train No. 86261 called "Driver John Axon, GC" was named after him.

However, there seems to be nothing at all about the Whaley crash on the internet. I am very surprised, and the pictures RSS has, along with the information appearing on this forum seems to be bringing something lost back into the present.

Cheers
Jon.

Edited by user 11 February 2010 23:59:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
MoT_Chapel1957.pdf (721kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#11 Posted : 11 February 2010 08:21:30(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Gnats,

James the stoker’s second name was spelt with an ‘e’ which may be of importance in your search.

There are many Mortens around Whaley.

R. S-S
parabuild  
#12 Posted : 14 February 2010 08:04:32(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Having studied the newspaper archives, I realise that our local railways seem to have had more than their share of disasters and mishaps.

The first accident in December 1864 occurred during the building of the Midland line at Bugsworth. The new tunnel was being dug when a huge landslip buried the tunnel entrance killing one man and trapping eleven others together with four horses.  It was many hours before rescuers dug their way in to the tunnel where they found the eleven men hard at work.  It had been decided that as rescue was just a matter of time, they may as well occupy themselves by carrying on with their duties.

Only three years later in September 1867 the most serious of the local rail incidents took place on the same line .  A goods train had entered the tunnel between Chapel and Peak Dale and had stopped to unload gravel tor track maintenance.  Against the rules, a following train carrying 1000 sheep and cattle was allowed to enter the tunnel where it crashed into the stationary ballast train.  A little girl had taken some clogs to her father who was working in the tunnel and together they were in one of the wagons. She was the first fatality of the day.  Several other workmen were injured.  Two engines hauled the cattle train and these left the track causing the  wagons to become detached and these started to roll backwards.  On leaving the tunnel, the guard and three drovers jumped and their injuries were not known.  The wagons sped through Bugsworth from where the signalman was able to warn New Mills and have the signals set to danger.   A passenger express had already set off from New Mills and was halted by the signal after some distance. The runaway wagons were seen approaching; Driver Cooper set the train in reverse and he, the fireman and guard all jumped off.  There was still a collision in which four cattle drovers were killed and a fifth injured.  Many sheep and cattle lay dead amongst the wreckage. The express in the meantime was still travelling backwards out of control and was not brought to a halt until directed into a siding at Romiley. None of the passengers were injured although some suffered from shock.

The next incident was on the North Western line. In May 1872 a freight train heading for Buxton crossed to the down line at Dove Holes to allow  a folowing passenger train to pass. The engine was detatched allowing the train of 31 wagons to run away. By the time it passed through Whaley Bridge it was travelling at a tremendous rate.  The line levels off on the approach to Furness Vale and here it came to a stand. No injuries were reported.

In March 1876 two mineral trains collided between Furness Vale and Newtown without any injuries. The accident ocurred at 2am but the line had been cleared by 9am.

Yet another mishap in February 1930 when Whaley Bridge goods yard became blocked after a number of wagons crashed into a platform. Again no injuries.

lord cornflake  
#13 Posted : 14 February 2010 09:04:29(UTC)
lord cornflake

There are two great books which can be bought at Brierlow Bar or Poynton garden centre.They are called The Buxton line part one and two by J.Bentley and G.Fox.There crammed with photos and infromation about Whaley and Chapel sections of the line aswell as all the other stations.I recomend it to anyone its a fantastic insight into how the railways worked long before i was born.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#14 Posted : 14 February 2010 14:12:00(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Taken from John Warren’s Diary:

1885 Feb 17

Engine No 163 fell over the bridge at night into George Wild’s yard.The engine driver and guard were killed, and the stoker seriously injured.

R. S-S

lord cornflake  
#15 Posted : 15 February 2010 17:20:12(UTC)
lord cornflake

Have a look at this website if your interested in the history of the CHPR.www.aditnow.co.uk/album/Cromford-High-Peak-Railway-Railway-Archive-Album/

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#16 Posted : 16 February 2010 14:25:28(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Thank you for that, My Lord,

I need to call on your help here, My Lord, as I am unsure as to your title. I am not quite sure whether you are a Lord of the Realm or The Lord of the Manor.

I have quietly tried to find the honour bestowed upon your very good self but Google keeps referring me back to this very forum.
So I am stuck.
No matter you are a Lord on here by virtue of your own hand and that is good enough for me and all that matters at the end of the day.

Now then, My Lord, you are obviously very interested, as I am, in local railways and past events.
You are obviously, unlike myself, a man of great power and wealth to be in possession of such a title; so how do you, in your wisdom, see the marking of the 125th anniversary of two young men, possibly two of your forefathers loyal subjects, who lost their lives at the side of Wharf Road Bridge?

Obviously the two Friends of Whaley Station who are also on JGTC and who we have established can neither read nor write have, as far as we know, no intention of doing anything.
Typical you might say. And I can almost hear you saying it. But, as I say, we would all, well me anyway, like to hear your views on any lasting tribute that could be made to those poor men who died one hundred and twenty five years ago tomorrow.
Should a commemorative plaque be put on the bridge or the station? If such a plaque were commissioned I think it only correct that you should decide the final position.

Much as Colonel Hall, Cotton Jodrell and Captain Stamper would have done in years gone by.

At 10.03 pm tomorrow evening I shall raise a glass to the memory of Robert Bagshaw and William Moores and stand in silence for a moment. I hope you will join with me from your Manor, My Lord.

R. S-S
lord cornflake  
#17 Posted : 16 February 2010 15:18:29(UTC)
lord cornflake

Well in my humble opinion I think if a plaque were to be put up it would have to be at the station.My only reason for this is the fact that more residents and people visiting will see it,other wise it will be hidden away under the bridge.If there is going to be something done in the memory of these two railwaymen then its only fit and proper its in the eye of the public. 

parabuild  
#18 Posted : 03 March 2010 08:01:17(UTC)
parabuild

Man

And yet more train crashes !

My first didn't involve a train but on 4th December 1863 a road race took place on the Whaley to Buxton road between the mail coach and the railway omnibus. The omnibus gave a lurch and a young man named Frankel was thrown to the ground injuring his brain and spinal cord.  It was expected that these injuries would result in idiotcy.  The Lord Chief Justice hearing the case against the railway company was "frequently choked by sobs" such was his sorrow at the sight of Mr Frankel.

The 13th November 1874 and a heavy goods train laden with lime and pig iron had left Chapel headed towards Whaley Bridge. Because of the steep descent the driver proceeded very slowly but after two miles was caught up by a following passenger train.  Because of the sharp curves the driver had not seen the goods train ahead and ran into it's rear. Fortunately the driver was able to brake in sufficient time to avoid any injuries.

1913 and on April 10th the 8.40pm from London Road was approaching Whaley Bridge station. It was the usual practice for the preceeding goods train to be shunted onto the opposite track to allow the passenger train to pass. On this evening, the engine had been detached to take on water, leaving the trucks in the path of the approaching train.  A number of minor injuries resulted and many of the trucks were scattered down the side of the embankment.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#19 Posted : 06 June 2010 15:26:36(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Sorry to resurrect this old topic.

Well I’m not sorry really but I find it rather hard to believe that we have had no comments from either the Whaley Eleven or those Friends of Whaley Station.

Surely this subject merits some form of remembrance or comment from both bodies.

Anyway I have just found the report into the tragic accident that happened all those years ago in Wharf Road; a million miles from Whaley Station and The Mechanics institute it must be said.

R. S-S

richard  
#20 Posted : 06 June 2010 19:02:10(UTC)
richard

WHALEY HALL

From Fr Jamie

Dear R S S,

Greetings to you,  and hope you are well.

It must of been a great shock all those years ago, for the peole of Whaley Bridge, to have such an accident.

I am pleased that you put the information on the Forum,  and on the anniversary  of the    Train accident,  I too took time to remember  those Souls who died that evening.

Perhaps something engraved and put on Wharf Rd would be good to remember the accident, of Feb 17th 1885 at 10.03pm.