logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hrees16  
#1 Posted : 07 April 2010 23:52:39(UTC)
hrees16

Groups: Member

Hi everyone!

I came across the ruins of Errwood Hall in the summer on a dog walking weekend with my Mum. I loved the area and decided to choose it as the site for my 6th year architecture research project for university. I have found snippets of information regarding the hall, the valley and the Grimshawes and have a few historic photos. I came across this website today and it seems that you all have a great deal of interest in the history of the area. If anybody has any photographs, information or material that may be relevant to what I am researching then I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you!!!

Holly

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2010 08:21:24(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello Holly,

Work your way through the thread ‘Pack Horse Bridge, Goyt Valley’ on the history side of this forum; you should find most of what you want on there.

Incidentally I understand the railings around the Grimshawe’s private burial ground have been removed just this week. This on the instructions of the Health and Safety Executive as they are deemed a risk to the public.

Funny how it’s taken them 80 years to arrive at that conclusion.

Well they had better get some new surround up pretty quick or questions shall have to be asked in the House.

R. S-S
hrees16  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2010 11:39:11(UTC)
hrees16

Hi R. S-S.

Thank you for your reply, I have read through that link and found some amazing stuff, especially LOVE the photo looking at the valley with the hall in the background. Really like that it proves that the hall would have had views down to the valley before the trees grew too tall since then. I have tried to draw the view that I imagine would have been had from the tower but its nice to have this photo to reinforce it. I notice that some people have comments about there being many photos of the hall knocking about..... I managed to find a photo of the chapel inside the hall in the book "Goyt Valley romance" - its the only one ive found of the inside of the hall so far. One thing that I cant fully figure out from the photos of the hall is whether there was a courtyard in the centre of the building, I'm pretty sure that there is from the line of the roof - can you clear this up??

Thanks!

Holly

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2010 16:55:27(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello once more Holly,

I have not the time to do anything today or tomorrow as I am very busy on other things but at the weekend I shall have time to help you with your project.

I have records going back to the purchase of the land by Samuel Grimshawe and how much he paid for it (you would be surprised) and on to the sale of the contents of the Hall after it was closed.

Have a think what you need and let me know on here and I’ll see what I can do.

The Grimshawes were massively wealthy and Errwood Hall deserves a thread all to itself.

So thank you for starting one.

R. S-S
hrees16  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2010 18:47:47(UTC)
hrees16

Hi again,
Its primarily an Architecture project so I'm looking to research the building, what rooms were located where, the materials used in the construction. I've looked into the Grimshawe family tree and would love to know how much the land was purchased for and where the 2000 acres that he purchased lies. I'm aware that the estate had 13 farm buildings and have photos of a few of these but am unsure how far they reach.
I've discovered that the ruins are not listed and were consolidated recently in the 1970s I think, photos of the ruins before they were consolidated would be fantastic. Mine is a very visual course so as many images, maps, drawings photographs as possible would really help. I am aware though that alot of time is required to scan images ect and put them onto the computer so I would not want to take up too much of your time.
Holly
richard  
#6 Posted : 08 April 2010 21:01:07(UTC)
richard

Hi  R S S and Holly,

Good to see some info on Earwood,  R S S dont forget to give Holly the info on when the Chapel was Consecrated by the Bishop of  Shrewsbury,  and about why the famil died out. 

have a good weekend supposed to be a hot one !!!!

Yours as ever

Fr Jamie

Whaley Hall

Ps just been out for dinner at the Shady Oak !!!!!!

CllrJonG  
#7 Posted : 09 April 2010 01:50:46(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi Holly,

Dont forget to post some (well all really :))  of those photos, maps etc  you have onto this forum(if you can), as this all continues . There are lots of people including me who are very eager to see this stuff and capture the information and knowledge. Thanks for starting a great thread !

When you have finished your project , is it possible to publish it on here as a Word document? We really appreciate that you choose to use a forum such as ours to help you to achieve academic goals, but it would be fantastic to see it all the way through and share the eventual results of that  with all the people on this forum who would really like to read it. We dont care how good or bad you think the end result is, but it would be great if you could publish it on here. Make sure you include references to those who have supplied you information and pictures !

Very much wish you all the best with this project.!!

Cheer s

Jon.

Edited by user 09 April 2010 02:16:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
richard  
#8 Posted : 09 April 2010 10:57:41(UTC)
richard

From Fr Jamie

I think the word  Plagiarism comes

to mind    !!!!!!!!

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#9 Posted : 10 April 2010 18:10:37(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Holly,

Did you happen to walk just above the Hall?

If you did you will have seen the private burial ground of the Grimshaw family.

As I said just last week the Health and safety people organised the removal of the fencing around the burial ground.

There is now a large mound over the crypt but once there was a mausoleum and here is a photo of it.

Obviously it was removed a long time ago but here is a story of just one of the rumours of Errwood;

High Peak News

3 April 1943

A rumour which has circulated in Whaley Bridge recently that the vault at Errwood Hall, in which members of the well known Grimshaw family are buried, had been broken into by vandals, was denied this week by Mr Oyarzibel, of the Stockport Corporation Waterworks, who is in charge of the Goyt Reservoir estate on which Errwood Hall stands.
 “I wish to state quite emphatically,” he told a “High Peak News” reporter, “that the vault is undisturbed, and unlikely to be entered either by vandalistic hikers or by over-enterprising schoolboys.    The vault was bricked up and sealed, at the request of the Grimshaws, and it would be impossible to penetrate it in any way without a great deal of demolition work being done.    This would be out of the question, as a member of the waterworks staff patrols the area continually.”
The rumour arose, apparently, because a group of local people who were in the vicinity of the Hall recently noticed that the porch above the vault had had its roof broken in, making a hole, in the words of one of them, “big enough to put a bullock through.”    This, it was assumed, opened directly to the vault.
In actual fact the mortuary chapel is situated between the chapel proper and the vault, and between the mortuary chapel and the vault is the stone and cement floor of the chapel, built over a concrete floor, which stands over the oak-raftered ceiling of the vault.
Mr Oyarzibel took the opportunity of denying the stories that the bodies of the Grimshaws in the vault are embalmed in glass-topped coffins, and that the corpses still wear the gold watch chains, and so forth, which they wore when they were alive.    The bodies, he says, are not embalmed, but are buried in coffins of shell, lead and oak.    And the coffins contain no valuables.
He is in a position to know, for as the last remaining member of the Grimshaw household he saw the coffins laid in the vault and himself helped to seal the vault when the Goyt Valley was acquired by the Stockport Corporation for flooding.
Nevertheless, there has for some time been evidence of unnecessary vandalism and interference at the Hall on the part of hikers and schoolboys.    The chapel has been entered, and many windows of the hall have been broken.    The graveyard round the chapel, where members of the household were buried, has been trampled on and crosses over the graves have been overturned.    The railings round the graveyard have been pulled down.
It is likely that in the near future Stockport Corporation may make new arrangements for preventing this kind of thing from going on.

More to come tomorrow about the Hall.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#10 Posted : 11 April 2010 13:14:41(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Purchase of the land in preparation for the construction of Errwood Hall.

“First the said John William Jodrell agrees to sell unto the said Samuel Grimshaw who agrees to purchase at or for the price of £9250 the fee simple and inheritance free of Incumbrancces of and in the Goit's head and Erwood Estates in Taxal called Erwood, Goits Bridge, Within Leach, Goits Clough, Castedge, the Cat & Fiddle public house, Gamekeeper's House, dog kennels, etc. containing 2010 acres.”

It is noticeable that in the sale the Estate was spelt with only one ‘E’ Erwood whereas nowadays the acceptable spelling is Errwood. Apart from Jamie, of course, who spells it Earwood.

Samuel Grimshaw appointed the Architect A Roos to design the mansion for him.
(If you Google A Roos Architect Errwood Hall you will come up with some good info)

The house itself was a turreted, double-winged structure of white stone in the Italian style and had a central tower and a chapel which formed the upper storey of an extension to the northern end. A French window opened on to a terraced garden at the southern end and wide steps led up to the main entrance.    The house faced east, towards Long Hill on the Buxton to Stockport road.    Over the entrance was a stone dragon, the crest of the Grimshaws, and a small stone coat of arms over the front door.    A metal dragon acted as a weather vane.    In the garden stood an ornamented stone arch surmounted by a bird and a large G. In a window high in the central tower there was always a Crucifix with a lamp shining before it, and, from here, must have been the best view of the massed rhododendrons all round the house and down the valley towards Goyt’s Bridge. 

Below the cemetery and further from the house are the remains of the extensive kitchen gardens overlooking the stream, and, beyond this again, further upstream, all that is left of a private swimming pool; in the same area, too, were the tennis courts.

The Errwood estate was virtually self-supporting, even to the extent of having its own coal mine.   

Among the inevitable stories about the family is one to the effect that they gave as much meat to their dogs as would have fed half of Whaley Bridge.

The last Grimshawe married a Miss Gosselin and the name became Gosselin-Grimshawe. There were, apparently, no children and Mrs Gosselin-Grimshawe was living at Errwood with a female relative in 1928. After her death, the house was used for a short time from about 1930 to about 1934 as a youth hostel which had to close down when the reservoir was being built.

Interestingly the name Grimshaw has two spellings one ends with ‘E’ and the other doesn’t.

I have a copy of the Architect’s drawing of what the Hall should look like when complete. Mr Roos calls it Erwood Hall; The Seat of Sam Grimshaw Esq. It is a great architect’s drawing by any standards.
The drawing is too big to copy and/or scan and put it on the forum but if I get time this week I’ll see if I can get it copied somewhere and then send a couple of copies to Cllr JonG who I am sure will pass one on to you and keep the other for himself. But you will need to contact him first and point out this post just in case he misses it.
I know he is very busy with his poetry at this time of the year.

R. S-S

hrees16  
#11 Posted : 11 April 2010 14:08:19(UTC)
hrees16

wow,

All of this information is great, thank you for taking the time to put this on here. As a reply to Jon, I would be happy to put my finished document on here but am a little worried what the issues of plagarism will be??? in the meantime I'm going to load up two drawings that I have done so far (so noone can say Im plagarising!), one of the south elevation, showing the stones that now remain as the ruins on that wall, (it took a while to draw out each stone) which I drew using the measurements of the hall and the old photographs. The other is a section through the site looking towards the east elevation of the hall. I wanted to show thae character of the site in one drawing and thought a section would be best fitted....let me know what you all think? I have also built a wooden model of the site and will post images of that on here soon. I will also put on a drawing I did of what I imagine the view from the tower would be like now, as it is not possible to get a photograph from the height of the tower over the valley my tutors suggested I draw the view.

I did stumble across the cemetery while I was there, and also the site where the swimming pool and castedge cottage once were. My first journey there I did not have any idea about the area so wondered why there were such small boundary walls in that area, but now know there were once buildings there. I'm hoping to go up to the ruins again soon, I'd like to see them with the Rhododendrons in bloom...

Its fascinating to see how much the house was bought for! In reference to the drawing you mentioned of the hall, is this a sketch view of the hall or a construction drawing, plan, section?

Thank you!

Holly

File Attachment(s):
elevation with ruins.jpg (684kb) downloaded 189 time(s).
section site between streams.jpg (1,243kb) downloaded 198 time(s).
drawing viewa.jpg (3,021kb) downloaded 169 time(s).
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#12 Posted : 11 April 2010 17:08:28(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Holly,

When Roos was appointed by Grimshaw I imagine he produced the usual Architectural package:
Plans, sections, elevations, specifications, schedule of works, programme and perhaps even a Bill of Quants.
Samuel may have wanted a bit more so Roos provided him with a drawing, prior to the commencement of building works, to show what he would end up with; it’s a sort of artist’s impression really. But I’ll tell you what it’s good. My copy is framed and hanging on the wall at my house.
Did you find your way to the Grimshaw’s Shrine by any chance?

R. S-S
hrees16  
#13 Posted : 11 April 2010 17:44:14(UTC)
hrees16

No i didnt find the shrine, I've seen pictures but not sure where abouts it is, I've walked the path around boths sides of the hill to the rear of Errwood hall but have not seen it!

Do you happen to know anyone who may have copies of these drawings that I could contact? plans would be good to see how the layout of the ruins were used for what internal spaces, all I can do at the moment is make a educated guess at what rooms were where! I can see gaps in the ruins where doors may have been and obviously know where the windows were. But I have no clue where the staircase would have been for example!

Holly

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#14 Posted : 11 April 2010 19:26:59(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

richard  
#15 Posted : 12 April 2010 11:29:46(UTC)
richard

From Fr Jamie

Whaley Hall

Dear R S S,

As always very well wrote !

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#16 Posted : 20 April 2010 15:10:42(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Holly,

This is a description of the Hall from 1883, I don’t know if it is of use to you or not.
I have not had time to copy the Architect’s drawing yet but will do as soon as I can.

R. S-S

Errwood Hall, for such is its name, is a modernised building of dressed stone, with rooms of considerable size and number.    In the centre there is a noble tower, underneath which is the main entrance to the elegant structure, reached from the ground by a fine flight of steps.    On the right side of the Hall are fitted up the various offices required by the servants, and also the stables, coach house, and other outbuildings necessary.    On the left side are the lawn and the terraces.    In the centre of the neatly laid out frontage is a very fine laver, with a fountain springing up from an artificially constructed basin.    A number of carefully laid out flower beds, with their gaily blooming flowers, contesting with the sombre hue of the green mossy rocks on the right side, and the variegated trees on the other, with the noble archway in front, make up a very pleasing sight.    On the entrance arch to the terraces are the crest and monogram of the family inhabiting the hall, namely Samuel Grimshawe, Esq., J.P., a venerable gentleman, who, prior to his death, made this abode his country seat.    The terraces rise in easy ascents to the beautiful romantic walks on the high hill, situated upon a declivity of which the entire buildings rest, securely sheltered from the fierce winds which sweep over the heights around.
 Internally this mansion is most magnificently furnished, not only with most of the modern luxuries which wealth can command, but also with many rare and costly works of art, the production of foreign continental lands, more especially Italy, whose holy city, magnificent Rome, has been brought under good contribution to provide some of the marvellous paintings, or splendid marble, which adorn the walls of this palatial home.    By the kindness of the benevolent owner we are able to give a few items respecting some of the most noteworthy rooms, and their appointments.    Attached to the hall, and, in fact, forming part of the building, is a very handsome room, fitted up as a chapel, for the use of the family and servants, and the few inhabitants of the neighbouring farmsteads and cottages to celebrate divine service.    The room is very comfortably furnished and well lighted; and has two altars, the largest of which has a neatly-formed chancel or communion attached to it for the use of the officiating priest and his attendants to stand and celebrate mass or other services.    There is a beautifully constructed canopy over the altar, with its splendid cross and other things; when lighted by the numerous wax lights it has a splendid appearance.    There are on the second altar some elaborate things useful for ornament or use in the services.    Some splendidly executed figures of the Madonna, an altar piece, "Ecce Homo," by Guido ; Madonna of San Luca, and one by Simone Memmi, celebrated old masters.    There is also an original portrait of the blessed BenedictJoseph Labee, by Cavallucci, and some other oil paintings.    Both altars, and the entire fittings and furniture of this room, are worthy of the noble owners of the hall.    An air of ease and elegance seems to be enjoyed, as well as a spirit of devotion seems to hover about the place.    Passing into the various staircases we find the walls adorned with extremely well executed and fresh looking medallions, and scenes in history depicted in exquisitely worked white Elgin and other marbles.    The blue room and the drab room are, with a few others, mainly utilised as bed rooms, and are furnished with very artistic bedsteads, cabinets, and other appointments, with some elaborate tapestry or silken work.    The upstairs library which is superbly furnished and contains some very fine volumes, perhaps some of the oldest books extant.    The reception room, leading from the floor of the building, is furnished in the most luxurious manner.    Within a splendid frame are some remarkable fine photographs of one of the Queens of Spain and her daughters, presented to the Grimshaw family.    A splendid gilded gold framed state chair, with a seat and back of the finest embroidery, worked in a beautiful pattern, and a grand sofa, with embroidery and other elaborate sittings to match with the chair, are objects well worthy of notice.    There is also a number of elaborately made stands and cabinets,    A splendid chest of black ebony, with panels of tortoise shell, is well constructed with a number of drawers, and stands upon a gilded carved table.    A fine ivory carving, a number of oil paintings, some old pottery, and a variety of elaborate ornaments, may also be seen in rich profusion.    The roof is also a work of art seldom noticed; it is flowered and figured, and laid out in a pattern carpet fashion, the various tints and shades of colour being visible at every point.    The splendid sunshades of the windows also contrast favourably with the furniture.    The fire place and mantel shelf are also works of skill, the former being of elaborately printed porcelain pottery.    No ordinary amount of skill seems to have been lavished in order to make everything contrast agreeably, and none but artists of the most skilful hands could have done the work; the same may be said of the decorations of all the rooms.
    The large drawing-room has a splendid appearance, the brilliant colours of the showy flowers which adorn the ceiling, which is also elaborately wrought into a huge picture, forms a pleasing contrast in harmony with the rich fittings of the room.    In the centre of this noble apartment is a most conspicuous object, a very finely inlaid marble table, formed of hundreds of small pieces of variegated stones, placed in circles within circles, and beautifully polished upon its capacious surface.    It is of the most exquisite workmanship, and standing upon an elegant support of grey stone, presents a truly magnificent appearance.    It has been brought from Rome.    There are also some fine old china vases, some antique furniture, the seats, chairs, and ottomans being covered with crimson velvet gold braided, with the extremely well-fitted and rich damask curtains, and the large mirrors fitted between the three large windows, reaching from the ceiling to the floor, form an aspect not often seen in such places.    Some splendid oil paintings adorn the walls, and amongst these we may notice the following: -- In a gilded frame, and in old Spanish tapestry work, is a finely-executed picture of St. Francis from the collection of the Brazilian Minister in Rome ; a fine portrait of Pope Innocent, by Velasquez ; portrait of "Catherine, Queen of Cyprus," by H. Moro ; "St. Mary Magdalene," by Guido "Justice and Peace," by Battoni ; marble statue of the Immaculate Conception (the woman shown with her foot on the serpent's head), by Benzoni.    Several other valuable works of art also grace the room.
    The downstairs library is well worthy of notice, containing as it does some thousands of volumes of the rarest and most costly productions of the press.    The roof is beautifully coloured and adorned with a splendid floral pattern in bright tints, with flowered corners, and a neat border to match ; there is also emblazoned on the ceiling in panel fashion the arms and crest of the family, which is a splendid piece of decorative art.    Two of the most conspicuous objects are a fine portrait of a Spanish lady by Velasquez, and a most exquisitely worked marble bust of Pope Pius IX, by Benzoni; every feature in the face of His Holiness seems to have been drawn out with life-like effect.
The dining-room is also a spacious apartment, and besides being admirably furnished with a very capacious dining table and other furniture to match, has a splendidly adorned roof, and possesses some rare old oil paintings, amongst which are a portrait of one of the Leane family, by Michael Angelo Correggio ; large landscape and sea piece, by William Vandervile ; portrait of Pope Gregory the Great, by Titian ; two landscapes, by Rosa de Tivoli ; two views of Venice (Canaletto) ; Adoration of the Magi, by Pietro di Cortona.    The Basso Relievi (to be seen) embrace admirable representations of various subjects, amongst which are The Triumph of Alexandra from Thorwaldsen ; panathenaic procession, from the Elgin marbles ; and others from Thorwaldsen and Flaxman are well worthy the admiration with which they are viewed.

thanks 1 user thanked R. Stephenson-Smythe for this useful post.
Ferni on 30/06/2013(UTC)
parabuild  
#17 Posted : 21 April 2010 07:23:08(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Errwood Hall Digital Model.  One side now completed apart from rendering.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
su1.jpg
su2.jpg
umtali  
#18 Posted : 21 April 2010 08:59:25(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Very, Very good David a lot of hard work there.

Cheers,
umtali

Edited by user 21 April 2010 09:07:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

umtali  
#19 Posted : 21 April 2010 09:12:06(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Been wondering if the Hall had any cellars? Pretty essential in those days I would have thought for both food and wine. Might still be there if so.  They would I suppose perhaps show on R. S-S's documents

umtali.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#20 Posted : 21 April 2010 15:17:46(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Mr**,

On the bit of the Hall that is left that you can walk about on there was a stone staircase going down to the wine cellars.

These contained stone slabs and on the front of the slabs were mortar dabs trowelled on and the name of the wine above was cut into the wet mortar with the mason’s trowel and so the wines always had their own particular shelf. A bit like Tesco’s really.

I think the cellars were filled in in the 60’s and I don’t recall any Blue Nun shelves.

Incidentally just as you approached the Hall there was a large mound and on top of this was the only unusual tree at Errwood; it was a Monkey Puzzle tree.
It did look strange surrounded by all the Rhododendrons and Azaleas and the rumour was that the Grimshaws somehow had a way of getting under this tree where a lot of their treasure was hidden.
I went up one day after a few years of not doing so and the Monkey Puzzle tree and the mound were gone. There wasn’t even any sign of the tree anywhere; so I presume someone had been looking for the treasure.

R. S-S