logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages«<678910>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shallcross  
#141 Posted : 29 August 2010 12:38:23(UTC)
shallcross

Groups: Member

Sorry Forgot the Item!!

File Attachment(s):
Milligan Errwood Hall.jpg (832kb) downloaded 84 time(s).
Shallcross
Norm  
#142 Posted : 29 August 2010 12:49:59(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Brilliant, I see they were 1/2 d short.

Carried over I presume.

Norm

Actually noticed something quite quickly as I was looking at the articles, they have undercharged .

Others may like to check but 21st Sept

2 braid @ 6 1/2 d and 4 1/2 braid @ 9 1/2 d is    ...   1/1 +  3/6 1/2d  = 4s 7 1/2d   not   2s   3 1/2d

I noticed that 4 times 9d is 3/- so it must be wrong.

How sad is that

God I must get a life.

Edited by user 29 August 2010 21:18:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm attached the following image(s):
Milligan.jpg
shallcross  
#143 Posted : 29 August 2010 13:06:44(UTC)
shallcross

Here is another Buxton trader no longer with us, do tell me if these old Invoices are not interesting to this site

Shallcross

File Attachment(s):
Grove - Chantreys Florist.jpg (571kb) downloaded 52 time(s).
Shallcross
G. Jackson  
#144 Posted : 29 August 2010 13:13:48(UTC)
G. Jackson

Norm, you're forgetting the stamp.But this type of accounting is probably before your time.

Edited by user 29 August 2010 13:15:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#145 Posted : 29 August 2010 13:22:38(UTC)
Norm

Man

Yes Glenda WELL before my time, what are s and ds   2/-  ???   (please no one answer)

My pocket still has groats in!!

Attached is the second invoice.

Norm 

Chantreys.jpg
buggyite  
#146 Posted : 29 August 2010 13:56:15(UTC)
buggyite

Man

I noticed that the name on the receipt from Milligans is an S Jackson. I wonder if thats a relative of our own Glenda on here?

Also, it rather looks like both bills were for things bought a shortly before the Hon. Mrs Preston died in January 1929 (not at the Hall, incidentally), but only got settled by the executors of her will in the October of that year.

Edited by user 29 August 2010 14:02:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
shallcross  
#147 Posted : 29 August 2010 14:36:43(UTC)
shallcross

Correct Buggyite

This one will confirm your comments, It is only an Invoice but it will be more than likely  unique.I have had this in my collection for many years so it hasn't as far as I know ever been published before.

Shallcross

File Attachment(s):
x High Street - Errwood Hall Funeral.jpg (1,267kb) downloaded 52 time(s).
Shallcross
buggyite  
#148 Posted : 29 August 2010 14:49:42(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Just taking over Norm's job for a moment...

buggyite attached the following image(s):
errwood funeral.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#149 Posted : 29 August 2010 15:17:45(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Shallcross,

These things are brilliant. Where ever have you been for the last 3 years?
What a boost to this forum you are.

R. S-S
Norm  
#150 Posted : 29 August 2010 15:28:26(UTC)
Norm

Man

R.S-S, Shallcross and any other interested parties.

Should these invoices go on the website? I am asking because I am not sure and guidance would be useful.

Norm

shallcross  
#151 Posted : 29 August 2010 15:32:43(UTC)
shallcross

Norm

I have no problem all the Companies are gone, Errwood Hall is gone, but if people are interested then let them see

I have some more but we will save them for another day shall we

Shallcross

Shallcross
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#152 Posted : 29 August 2010 15:44:23(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

You are again correct, Shallcross,

Brilliant as all your items are and desperate as I am to see them; do not over face members with them. Take your time.

Drip feed is best on here I think.

If you put them all on in a matter of a few days there will be nothing left for us to talk about.

Photo; discussion; then another photo and perhaps another discussion or topic is the best way.

The forum is now back to its best with your input and the awakening of Horwich Ender so let’s keep it going.

Perhaps even Jon will come back and maybe some of The Whaley Eleven (I see they were photographed themselves this week in the Avertiser).

And you never know someone may hear about the forum and say: “Oh, I’ve got loads of old photos perhaps you can show me how to put them on this forum”

Well like I say you never know.

R. S-S
Norm  
#153 Posted : 29 August 2010 17:10:25(UTC)
Norm

Man

shallcross wrote:

Also I see today that** has retired from this Forum although as I have already said I find the comments made between certain members distasteful and would never support the idea of tampering with original Photographs only to enhance, it seems a shame that someone who has an interest in this subject departs and may set up another site.

I am new to this forum but i think much has been written by all parties that should not have been.

I know this invites trouble, but you are new and believe me "you had to be there". Also I doubt he has retired as you will find out.

Reading the posts now is not really an accurate portrayal of what happened. His favourite trick was, and maybe still is, to enter text or a picture that was insulting. Then wait for a reply, and then amend or remove the offending article and then ask "What was the problem?" That is why Horwich Ender and myself asked for the ability to amend posts after someone had replied to be removed from the Forum. Maybe that cannot be done, but as a compromise the ability to amend text was removed from him. So you see why that was done.

He still has the ability to add and remove pictures which he has used to frustrate members. As I said "you had to be there" and our only defence is not to reply to his posts at all therefore he cannot accuse us of anything when he later amends them. I am sorry you have joined the forum while this is going on, but we have had months of it. Welcome to our world  

Sit back and enjoy 

Norm 

Norm  
#154 Posted : 29 August 2010 18:51:38(UTC)
Norm

Man

The three invoices above have now been added to the Errwood Hall Website.

Cheers

Norm

Sad update to post #142. Sorry

Edited by user 29 August 2010 23:38:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

umtali  
#155 Posted : 30 August 2010 10:43:16(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Norm wrote:

[He still has the ability to add and remove pictures which he has used to frustrate members.

Norm/

Not for at least the past couple of weeks Norm.

In fact my only contribution in recent weeks has been help with Scanning and Enhancing a few high definition pictures via my website. However a cartoon “T” shirt also removed that facility.

Is Whaley Bridge in China?

shallcross  
#156 Posted : 04 September 2010 19:08:07(UTC)
shallcross

Norm

Heres a nice little piece of history to add to the web site.

I recall someone saying on one of the threads what was the point of sending postcards so locally, well here is a good example of why people sent post cards not just because they were on holiday but this was the cheapest, quickest and most reliable form of communication, as there were two postal deliveries a day even Christmas day delivery, you could send a message in the morning and if it was local it would be delivered same day in the afternoon, these three all relate to Errwood Hall one was sent and signed by Joseph Oyarzabel.

Shallcross

File Attachment(s):
Errwood Postcard 1.jpg (261kb) downloaded 48 time(s).
Errwood Postcard 3.jpg (285kb) downloaded 40 time(s).
shallcross attached the following image(s):
Errwood Postcard 2.jpg
Shallcross
Norm  
#157 Posted : 04 September 2010 19:17:53(UTC)
Norm

Man

Here's postcards 1 and 3. I may work on them to make them clearer, just thought I would put them on now.

postcard1.jpg
postcard3.jpg
michaela bowden  
#158 Posted : 05 September 2010 22:51:43(UTC)
michaela bowden

Hi all

I'm new to the forum,  when I found your  wonderful website I couldn't believe my luck. May I give the creator a very big thank you   I myself have been researching errwood hall but does anyone have any information on the land workers of the hall in the 1800s.

I'm still trying to find my bearings around the ruin, but the route you take to the grave site are they the cottages ?? 

I have read that there was 13 farms on the estate but I can only find few of theses name, does anyone know if any were near the hall, and if so the people that worked the farms did they also have to work the hall estate too.

what I'm trying to get at is if anything untoward happened on the estate IE accidents resulting to deaths & deaths by murder. I'm looking into the myths of the hall supposing being haunted, the reasons I say that is because I have been up their a few time but on one occasion I did hear something that I couldn't explane. Any information will be very much appreciated

I was up there last night and I couldn't believe it when I got their there, motor bike scramblers in the car park & at the ruin local lads sat in the middle of the ruin having a barbecue & camping, something has got to be done about this its becoming into a local camp site for teenagers. 

Many Thanks XX    

shallcross  
#159 Posted : 06 September 2010 22:24:02(UTC)
shallcross

Hi Michaela

The Ruins you refer to are Castedge Farm and further up to the left Shooters Clough Cottage, the other Farms are scattered around the Errwood Estate Stretching from The Cat & Fiddle to Fernilee Hall Farm in Fernilee, nearly all are now ruins some below the waters some still visible, I am not aware of any Murders or wrong doings Errwood Hall was always seen as a happy place by the tennants in the valley, very much part of the community but maybe others on the Forum know different.

Shallcross
High Peak Harry  
#160 Posted : 07 September 2010 08:35:28(UTC)
High Peak Harry

I was up there yesterday afternoon and saw recent evidence of fires, beer cans, discarded clothing. It is sad when people can't take home their rubbish. I passed a school party on my way up and had to watch my step next to the brook so didn't notice anything. On the way down I noticed lots of 'wet wipe rags discarded down the banking. Obviously the children had thrown these, there were too many for a pair of walkers to have thrown.