logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fedup  
#21 Posted : 21 July 2010 21:30:57(UTC)
Fedup

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

But nevertheless it is interesting if only because Doctor Allan doesn’t seem to have turned up.

Yes, and the poor victim actually survived.!! 

Norm  
#22 Posted : 22 July 2010 00:39:39(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

george wrote:

Many thanks Norm for the information on enlarging and reducing the font size, I simply had not come across this before I am finding it a great help. It's easy when you know how.

george 

Great news George. I am glad I have been of help.

Whaley Ash  
#23 Posted : 12 November 2010 13:02:48(UTC)
Whaley Ash

Man

Hi dickB1 - methinks we might know each other or even play on the same pub quiz team!

You may be interested to know that there were prominent vertical veins of lead in the Whaley coal seams, and in particular in Waterloo Colliery. There's a very good article all about them in a recent Mining History Bulletin (Peak District Mines Historical Society) from the pen of Chris Heathcote of Chapel. This fact explains why the occupation 'Lead Miner' appears in some 19th Century Whaley Census Returns, when the main ore field is several miles away. After mentioning these veins to a member of the Mining Group I'm in, he turned up a week later with a nice block of galena (lead ore) which came out of Waterloo Colliery in the 1870s. It came to him from the collection of a deceased mineralogist. He actually gave it to me, so should you have an irresistible urge to see it, just give me a shout. Ashley
tarboat  
#24 Posted : 14 January 2011 19:34:36(UTC)
tarboat

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

dickb1 wrote:

I'm trying to find out more about the 'Upcast Shaft' of the Waterloo Colliery on Bings Road which is still there today beside 'Winch House'.  In the photograph of Christ Church on this website ('Churches'), taken, it says, in about 1910, the shaft can be made out through the trees bottom left, emitting what appears to be a haze of smoke, consistent with its being the 'furnace ventilation system' for the colliery.  (Not the colliery chimney itself, which is unmissably to the right of the church further down on the other side of the tramway.)   The incredibly dangerous business of lighting fires down coal mines to draw fresh air through them was outlawed in 1911.  The shaft seems to have been the same height as it is today, and was possibly never any higher.  It looks almost crenellated at the top.  It was probably built on a redundant mine shaft, inside the old winch house.  Does anyone know any more, and where I could get hold of a clear copy of that wonderful photograph?

This is a very interesting and yet puzzling subject. As far as I can tell the actual upcast shaft is situated in the yard in front of the Bings Road enginehouse. It is marked on the mining plan for the 16 Inch Seam (also known as the White Ash or Smithy Mine) in the 1870s. Normally the furnace would be ventilated to atmosphere via a built up top to the shaft to take the fumes away and to avoid people falling in. However, at one time this was clearly a winding shaft, indeed it may date back to the founding of the colliery in 1815. The enginehouse is certainly very old and judging by the layout it contained a vertical winder with the drum mounted above the cylinder. If you look at the front wall of the building there is a bricked-up gap beneath a wooden lintel. The brickwork fill a lower slot at the right side of the gap. This slot was to allow the winding rope to run out from under the drum whilst the top rope would run through the main slot. A headgear would have been attached directly to the front of the building.

None of the architectural clues is conducive to the chimney being over a shaft for ventilation purposes. I wonder whether it was more likely the boiler chimney for the winding engine? Another possibility is that the fumes from the ventilation furnace were conducted to the chimney via a tunnel from the shaft, which would have been divided into winding and ventilation sections with timber. It's all very cramped and difficult to fit it all in on such a tight site. If only we had a photo that clearly showed the pithead area. That tree on the Christ Church photo is just in the wrong place!

tarboat attached the following image(s):
Whaley Bridge Colliery, Sixteen Inch or White Ash or Smithy Mine 1870 - 1879.jpg
tarboat  
#25 Posted : 14 January 2011 19:36:18(UTC)
tarboat

The front of the enginehouse showing the bricked-up slot for the winding ropes.

Whaley Bridge Colliery enginehouse.jpg
RockBanker  
#26 Posted : 14 January 2011 22:19:17(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Tarboat,  thank you for posting that mine plan, and your analysis of the structure. Most interesting. Got any more?

Do you have a key to the colour coding on the plan?

Regards

RB

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
shallcross  
#27 Posted : 15 January 2011 00:53:15(UTC)
shallcross

Does this help ?

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Picture1.jpg
Shallcross
tarboat  
#28 Posted : 15 January 2011 11:21:16(UTC)
tarboat

shallcross wrote:

Does this help ?

It certainly set me thinking. Clearly a much later image and it shows the slot that is now occupied by the wooden doors just below the right side of the bricked-up rope window. If that is an original feature it could well have been for a pumping beam. Many of the early vertical winders were also capable of driving pumps, the one at the Oval Pit at Poynton certainly did so via a beam that emerged in a similar place on the front wall of the enginehouse. I have attached a photo of the Oval Pit (c1935-6 after closure) that shows the layout with the headframe attached to the front wall of the building. In that case the top winding rope emerged through a raised piece in the roof.

Do you have any idea of the date and would it be possible to post a higher resolution view of the enginehouse bit of the photo?

Oval Pit top 1935-6.jpg
tarboat  
#29 Posted : 15 January 2011 11:36:41(UTC)
tarboat

RockBanker wrote:

Tarboat,  thank you for posting that mine plan, and your analysis of the structure. Most interesting. Got any more?

Do you have a key to the colour coding on the plan?  

The blue is for workings in the 16 Inch Mine whilst the red is for 18 Inch Mine workings, but the plan only shows those relevant to the plan of the 18 Inch workings. The grey tunnels lead to workings in other seams away  to the north. Yellow is the surface roads and the lighter blue is the river. I have attached an image showing the same area from the plan for the 18 Inch Mine 1867-77. If you look closely just below the upcast shaft you can see that someone has written 'Furnace' in pencil.

Whaley Bridge Colliery, Eighteen Inch Mine 1867-1877.jpg11.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#30 Posted : 07 June 2011 14:45:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I have been asked by someone who might not want to be revealed at the moment to post a couple of photos of Whaley Bridge Coal Pits.

Rather than start a new topic I thought I might as well make use of this thread.

On the other hand later on this year I may start a new thread about some of the local pits and their workings, personnel, prices, accidents etc. But that is for later.

In the meantime here are the photos for my friend as promised:

I think Mr. dickb1 will be able to assist with naming the pits. Bridge 42 might be a clue though.
I have given up on the gangster’s moll who is known as Buggyite and who can not even locate the YH on the gable end of the Youth Hostel in Bugsworth.

R. S-S

shallcross  
#31 Posted : 07 June 2011 18:45:37(UTC)
shallcross

RSS

Nice, I've never seen the bottom one before, they are all as you well know Wharf Pit there are a couple more showing the Carts all stood up the road to the pit.

Shallcross
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#32 Posted : 08 June 2011 08:32:12(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good morning, Shallcross,

Yes it wasn’t much of a question really was it?

The only thing that I would say is that in the last photo, which is Wharf Pit, somebody has written “Shawcross?”

Shallcross Hall Colliery would have a much steeper incline and even though it was open long after Wharf I have no photos of it.
I am also trying to locate a photo showing the coal buckets going down to the Canal from the Furness Pit. As this did not close until the early 1960’s there should be some about.

R. S-S
shallcross  
#33 Posted : 08 June 2011 09:35:58(UTC)
shallcross

Just so people do not get confused here is the top picture the correct way round

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Wharf Pit.jpg
Shallcross
parabuild  
#34 Posted : 08 June 2011 10:55:52(UTC)
parabuild

Man

R.S-S.   I too would like to see photos of the Furness tramway. So  far I have not been able to trace any but who knows.

The booklet just published by F.V.History Society "Memories of Furness Vale" by Mabel Townend describes the working of the line as she remembers it. "It was a single track - rails 12 or 15 inches apart. Clay came up from the siding in tipper trucks, about 3ft by 2ft, five at a time, pulled by a strong cable at low level. When the empty trucks came back down, we tried to throw in stones, often we missed as the empties came quite fast. Down too came flat trucks with a back and front but no sides. These were filled with finished firebacks and firebricks ready to be loaded onto the main line trucks in the siding. The cable was worked by a pulley system, which included an overhead cable running on horizontal pulleys attached to a strong wooden structure. We knew when the trucks were coming as the overhead cable would be heard making a soft clicking noise."

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#35 Posted : 08 June 2011 16:59:14(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello David,

I am sure there are photos in existence; it is just trying to find who has them.

As for Mabel: well I intend having strong words with her when I next see her; throwing stones indeed. Really, Mabel whatever were you thinking?

By the way you can still see the wooden structure she talks of complete with the cast iron guide at the back of Furness Chip Shop.

R. S-S
JonG  
#36 Posted : 12 November 2011 16:04:32(UTC)
JonG

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi,

Mr Anonymouse has posted me another picture for this thread.

This a picture of Shallcross Hall Colliery taken in 1908. Many thanks for providing it.

Cheers

Jon.

JonG attached the following image(s):
shallcross_hall_colliery_1908.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com