logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
buggyite  
#41 Posted : 07 August 2010 16:01:39(UTC)
buggyite

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I read the sentence "Wood had engaged him as a workman" in a completely different way to you, Robert (if I may be so bold as to use your first name).

The meaning that I had inferred was that Dale claimed that Wood had offered him (and maybe one or both of the others) some sort of job, when they met in the pub in Disley, and that he wasn't already employed by him.

This is something we will never know for certain. It seems a strange thing to mention at such a late stage in the proceedings, too.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#42 Posted : 07 August 2010 16:08:53(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good point Buggyite,

I agree with you on this occasion because most certainly, thinking about it, this should have been brought out in Court.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#43 Posted : 08 August 2010 17:31:37(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

11 April 1874

disley :    memorial stone of a murder

The ceremony of uncovering an indication stone, got up by subscription, in memory of the murder at Higher Disley, of a man named William Wood, some 57 years ago, took place last Saturday, in the presence of a large assemblage of persons who had gathered to witness the event.    The place near the spot is called Longside, situated in the higher parts of Disley township.    After the stone had been uncovered, Mr W.T. Moore ascended it, and proper audience being given, he remarked that he was sorry that no one had come forward to take his position.    He felt but too keenly his inability to do justice to the subject ; however, they must take the will for the dead.    It was not for him to explain what was their object, or the purpose of their being present that day, as they were all aware of that.    He would only simply state the facts how the stone came to be erected.    A few gentlemen opened a subscription, which was so nobly responded to that the matter was taken in hand and all completed within four weeks.    Many opinions had been expressed on the course taken, but he could hurl back the imputations cast upon the committee respecting their object and motives in the erection of that stone.    To his mind there were many which might be advanced, and with justice and right considered worthy of it.    One was its being made a terror to evildoers.    Strangers, when viewing such an object in the landscape of nature, would naturally have their thoughts diverted perhaps from viewing nature up to Nature’s God.    That stone would also remind them of the importance of being prepared to meet Him, “for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of Man cometh.”    Little would William Wood have thought when he left his home and little family behind him in the morning, that he would never see them again.    Such was the uncertainty of life that they could not be too often or in too many places of the fact, and be prepared to meet their god.    Those were the sincere motives which prompted the gentlemen contributing to place that stone which he stood upon.    Stone after stone had been put on the wall, but often destroyed or removed, and wrong dates put on, leading the traveller or visitor wrong about the time the deed was committed.    This stone, he believed, would put all right on that point, and he hoped would answer the good intentions of the committee.    He trusted that when their names were written in the dust, there would still arise a strong feeling to protect it as there had been that day, as they all knew its purpose ; and as it was public property, so it required public attention. A collection, which realised a handsome sum, was made, and the surplus will be devoted to repair the village fountain.

Glossopdale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter

disley :   the indication stone

A vast number of persons from all quarters have visited the spot where the man, Wood, was murdered, now pointed out at Longside, Higher Disley, by an indication stone.

High Peak News

25 Jul 1874

scholars’ visit to longside.    On Sunday afternoon last the scholars, teachers and friends connected with the Wesleyan Sunday School, at Whaley Bridge, went in a body to Wood’s memorial stone, Longside, Higher Disley, where they were joined by the scholars from Kettleshulme Wesleyan Schools, making up about 700 persons.    Addresses were given by the Rev. Chas. Heap, Mr Sparkes, and others.    The proceedings were very quiet and orderly throughout.

Norm  
#44 Posted : 09 August 2010 19:04:52(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

The Murder Stone is now on the website.

I have tried something new for the website on this one.I have put a Google link in so people can have a look around where the stone is. I would like comments on this, especially bad ones, but good one would be nice :) 

What I mean is I would like constructive remarks if it does not work or takes too long to load. Etc etc

Norm

snoopy  
#45 Posted : 13 August 2010 07:36:15(UTC)
snoopy

Hi-De-Hi

I have had a look and will respond, be the first of many I am sure 

I like the link, it does take a few seconds or so to come to life after the page has loaded but that's OK. Shame about the traffic on the road when you look towards Whaley but I realise that is out of our control.  Overall I give it thumbs up, makes a change.

umtali  
#46 Posted : 14 August 2010 08:00:31(UTC)

Groups: Guest

[quote=Norm]

Hi

The Murder Stone is now on the website.

I would like comments on this, especially bad ones, but good one would be nice :) 

What I mean is I would like constructive remarks if it does not work or takes too long to load. Etc etc

Norm

A new home page perhaps?

CllrJonG  
#47 Posted : 15 August 2010 16:46:17(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Umtali,

This is not a constructive post, and is just another reason why you get so much criticism from users.

Please stop posting this divisive and intentionally irritating rubbish.

In particular, desist from posting in the local history area altogether unless you actually have something positive to add.

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
umtali  
#48 Posted : 15 August 2010 17:11:05(UTC)

No problem, as you arranged I am unable to delete any text, so would greatly appreciate it if you will please delete all my text -based postings,

Cheers
umtali
CllrJonG  
#49 Posted : 15 August 2010 18:25:51(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

I will not delete them all as it will leave the threads in a mess, and I would point out to that you deleted the picture in the previous post which was the reason for my comments.

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Norm  
#50 Posted : 15 August 2010 18:34:20(UTC)
Norm

Man

Jon

A lot of the threads are already in a mess. He has not only deleted the insulting picture in the above post, he has also deleted most of his pictures from a lot of threads. Have a look at http://www.whaleybridge.net/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=579 

He may be not able to delete text but he has used the remaining ability to add/remove pictures to keep the threads in their usually state of broken and meaningless posts.

Here we go again.

Cheers

Norm

Edited by user 15 August 2010 19:21:18(UTC)  | Reason: Speeeling

umtali  
#51 Posted : 15 August 2010 20:11:25(UTC)

Do make your mind up please'

umtali attached the following image(s):
new.jpg
G. Jackson  
#52 Posted : 15 August 2010 21:03:41(UTC)
G. Jackson

When will the powers that be ban this man? Please do it before the whole forum dies.

G.J.

Norm  
#53 Posted : 15 August 2010 23:02:49(UTC)
Norm

Man

G. Jackson wrote:

When will the powers that be ban this man? Please do it before the whole forum dies.

G.J.

I totally agree. This thread was a good example of what should be on a history forum until post #47 by you know who. He sets out to ruin it for everyone. Why come on this thread at all? Jon gave him a warning in post #48 which has been ignored, I wouldn't waste your time posting Jon, you seem to have no power and he laughs at you.

There is no doubt that his aim is to ruin this forum, and he is certainly being helped by the powers that be.

RIP

Edited by user 15 August 2010 23:11:13(UTC)  | Reason: oops

snoopy  
#54 Posted : 16 August 2010 07:32:57(UTC)
snoopy

G.J. Norm

I agree

Snoopy

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#55 Posted : 16 August 2010 15:46:02(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Well if post 52 is not the equivalent of putting two fingers up to Jon Goldfinch, Mikeann and Russell I don’t know what is.

R. S-S
snoopy  
#56 Posted : 24 August 2010 07:48:05(UTC)
snoopy

Unfortunately he does seem to be able to post pictures like that with impunity. As for Jon, Mikeann and Russel they do seem powerless.

I notice Mr Trueman seems to have the power to remove posts and censor but he is busy elsewhere deleting posts. I think one person is responsible for ruining 99% of threads on this forum, yet he continues to cause problems. Post 52 on this thread is just a typical example of what he does, and supported by Mr Trueman. 

On a proper Forum that post would have been removed ages ago and the poster warned. Since it is still there I doubt any further action has been done. What the recent batch of new posters think I don't know. 

Yes I am proud to be one of the gang of thugs. I think R.S-S and Norm have worked hard to create the the website,** doesn't like it because he started the website and then deleted it (?) so lost it. That has made him bitter, but it is his own doing, so he has no one to blame but himself. The local website is a positive thing from this forum and it is a shame that** and Mr Trueman try to undermine it.   

Let's see how long this allowed to say, it may break one of the forum's rules, like telling the truth.

umtali  
#57 Posted : 24 August 2010 08:53:53(UTC)

What blatantly obvious orchestrated applied psychology, it is an insult to the inelegance of the mediators. I suggest all four of you pen an apology to them.

My last post was a couple of weeks back, it-concerned cruelty to people and animals relative to photography, and G. Jackson promptly attacked me?
Since then I have issued one post regarding the scanning of pictures, help, which is sorely, need. 

If indeed the Forum were to close it will have died from an excess of insular bigots

G. Jackson  
#58 Posted : 24 August 2010 10:43:13(UTC)
G. Jackson

1. I applaud anyone who does anything to stop cruelty to animals. All my family have been members of the RSPCA for decades.

2. The incident** described was almost 10 years ago.(but I still commend him for whatever he did) Why did he bring it to the notice of the forum? Did he want some belated thanks?

3. He is ruining the forum because he has written, and now I am writing, something which has no connection with the topic i.e. The Murder Stone. New members must think it is local people bickering and go away without realising what a wonderful forum this is becoming with the help of Norm's home page.

4. He started on the forum by enhancing photogtaphs, wonderful, but then he tended to take over this forum with silly images which were funny at first but annoying as we were subjected to more and more. Doesn't he have a local one where he lives and then he could add things he may know about because he does not add in the way R.S-S does for example ( whom he criticises regularly).

5. I have not attacked him as I do not know where he lives.

Norm  
#59 Posted : 24 August 2010 17:27:26(UTC)
Norm

Man

umtali wrote:

What blatantly obvious orchestrated applied psychology, it is an insult to the inelegance of the mediators. I suggest all four of you pen an apology to them.

Not sure what was orchestrated, since I don't even know snoopy, in fact I don't think anyone does. Can you tell me what I am apologising for? I am not responsible for what snoopy writes as much as you are. And to be honest I don't think it will insult the "inelegance" of the mediators.

I must admit though while post #52 exists it does put a blight on things.

Gnatalee  
#60 Posted : 24 August 2010 21:02:58(UTC)
Gnatalee

I, for one, am a little cheesed-off with the constant negativity promoted by a certain indivual on this forum. It is a shame because I believe that, initially, he actually had something to offer but, unfortunately, his "take-over" and subsequent bickering, has made postings on the local history forum difficult and, I believe, has stopped regular posters from contributing.

As someone who has thoroughly enjoyed, and gained a lot of information from, the local history side of the forum I find that I must now be considered a "thug". What fun !!    When I attend work tomorrow I will take great pleasure in announcing that I am a thug (in the eyes of at least one individual.- ha-ha !!!

I believe we must continue to post our local history - it is how we can pass on to future generations our knowledge of Whaley Bridge. I have learned such a lot from this forum, local history-wise and family-wise. I hope others will be able to do the same.

Please join me in my new group "Hug a Thug"  -  solidarity for local history in Whaley  

Gnats

(Hug-a-Thug group)

Edited by user 24 August 2010 21:12:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified