logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
G. Jackson  
#41 Posted : 04 September 2010 14:11:29(UTC)
G. Jackson

Groups: Member

I stand exposed (on both legs) damn it!

shallcross  
#42 Posted : 04 September 2010 18:38:10(UTC)
shallcross

Buggyite

This is   ''Horses working the Incline at Whaley Bridge''

I dont know the year you were reffering to with Mr Jackson, could this him I wonder

I have noticed that only a few of the forum members reply to postings many people view the articles, download the images but don't interact by letting the authors know if they liked or didnt like the contributions, it wont be long before this site will have more Local History information on it than any other to do with Whaley and the surrounding area so dont just take from it add to it ( Be Sensible of course).

Shallcross

File Attachment(s):
WB Cromford HPR 001.jpg (288kb) downloaded 70 time(s).
Shallcross
Norm  
#43 Posted : 04 September 2010 18:47:09(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hi

Photograph from post #42.

Yes it would be nice if someone said it was interesting etc.

Edited by user 04 September 2010 18:50:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm attached the following image(s):
cromford.jpg
Gnatalee  
#44 Posted : 04 September 2010 20:08:26(UTC)
Gnatalee

Shallcross - regarding post #42

I totally appreciate your comment about not enough people commenting but I, for one, have posted many times on the website but am fast running out of pictures !!

There is a point of view to remember, in that not all people who view are actually people living in Whaley - my parents are from Whaley but I have never lived there. My Dad is 89, my Mum and grandparents and aunts/uncles are no longer alive, and I use the website to pass on the wonderful information to my Dad to keep his interest going. He has appeared in a few of the photographs of when he was a child (school and football photographs), and I brought him over to Whaley to view the photographs on display in the Mechanics during W3 week.

He has enjoyed many of the memories shared and the names mentioned from his youth. That said, I am not always able to comment on something I know nothing about, other than to say what a nice pic.

Keep up the good work - we very much enjoy the photos - I have not posted as much recently due to certain activities on the website which became a little tiresome but, rest assured, the pictures posted are very much appreciated.

Thanks for your input.

Gnats

Edited by user 04 September 2010 20:12:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#45 Posted : 04 September 2010 20:30:37(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Yes Gnats, I am in total agreement with you.

I live in Whaley Bridge, but have no background here, so I cannot input any information. However, I do appreciate the opportunity of reading the posts and looking at the photographs, even though some topics interest me more than others.

Like Gnats, it seems a bit pointless to keep posting "That's an interesting photograph", but I do appreciate the hard work of our Local History posters, and would hate them to think the information they put on here is not interesting. Not so, I can assure you.

Edited by user 04 September 2010 20:31:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shallcross  
#46 Posted : 04 September 2010 20:52:58(UTC)
shallcross

Hi Gnatalee and Fedup

I wasn't refering specifically to the photos but more to the Local History articles, if more questions were asked with regard to the information posted, or maybe Grandad told me .......... then more discussion follows, both of you I would say are regular contributors anyway which is why you responded

Shallcross

Shallcross
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#47 Posted : 04 September 2010 20:56:16(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Well thank you for those kind comments Gnatalee an Fedup, two of the most valued members of this marvellous forum.

Just for you two’s enjoyment I shall put a very odd photo on tomorrow and it will be a sort of a quiz and as with all quizzes there will be a prize for the winner.

So look in tomorrow on the history side.

Some members of the forum may be excluded as they will already know the answer.

Bet you can’t wait; well I can’t anyhow.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#48 Posted : 04 September 2010 21:32:04(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Be still my beating heart!!! I shall be awake all night now!

By the way, what's the prize?

High Peak Harry  
#49 Posted : 04 September 2010 23:19:13(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Fedup wrote:

Be still my beating heart!!! I shall be awake all night now!

By the way, what's the prize?

Fish & chips, but not from a hot dog van!
Gnatalee  
#50 Posted : 04 September 2010 23:44:39(UTC)
Gnatalee

Norm  
#51 Posted : 04 September 2010 23:58:48(UTC)
Norm

Man

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Some members of the forum may be excluded as they will already know the answer.

Bet you can’t wait; well I can’t anyhow.

R. S-S

Nice one HHH.

Bet I can't enter this competition. Is it related to the labrador thet cleans everything in the van?

Only time will tell.

Edited by user 15 May 2011 13:18:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

umtali  
#52 Posted : 05 September 2010 11:15:06(UTC)

Groups: Guest

shallcross wrote:

Hi Gnatalee and Fedup

I wasn't refering specifically to the photos but more to the Local History articles, if more questions were asked with regard to the information posted, or maybe Grandad told me .......... then more discussion follows, both of you I would say are regular contributors anyway which is why you responded

Shallcross

Mr Shallcross,

Your observation is interesting being new to the forum you may not be aware that it was my idea to set up the Erwood Hall Website, there was a positive response for a day or two, then nothing, appeals for help with local facts and details were ignored. Apart from one young lady who gave help with the typing required and pictures from parabuild. Eventually we ground to a complete stop for lack of input and I was advised in no uncertain terms that people did not have as much time as I to construct a website.

So one afternoon I removed the site from my web space. The roof fell in, total outrage, the situation remains the same today I remain a pariah in the eyes of the “Gang of Four” who are usually supported by a small group of fringe cronies, the general forum visitors seem to prefer to quietly drop in and leave. Who can blame them?

Incidentally I have noticed that you do not comment on work I have carried out on your very own pictures.   Are you also afraid of the gang I wonder?
Oddly despite your lack of interest when I closed your picture page on my website, for one day, my website address was removed forever by Mr Truman.
umtali
buggyite  
#53 Posted : 06 September 2010 12:19:53(UTC)
buggyite

Man

I have seen a nice postcard that shows the Whaley Incline quite well, its on ebay here....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250653531637&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Do any of you experienced photo collectors know if the price is reasonable? (£14.99 + p&p)

Or, has anyone got this picture already, that they'd be prepared to share on the local history site?

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
G. Jackson  
#54 Posted : 06 September 2010 12:52:21(UTC)
G. Jackson

If you want the actual postcard you will have to buy it but if you only want the image what is to stop you from copying it from the photo on ebay? Ethics?

buggyite  
#55 Posted : 06 September 2010 13:07:30(UTC)
buggyite

Man

G,

(I hope you don't mind me using your first name)

Ignoring the opportunity to point out that Whaley is in Derbythire, whereas Ethics is thouth of Thuffolk, I don't think the image quality of even the enlarged image on ebay is particularly good. My experience of scanning and removing blemishes of proper old photographs suggests there is much more detail to be had from the original than from a low-res scan via an ebay auction.

Edited by user 06 September 2010 13:08:48(UTC)  | Reason: speeling eror

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#56 Posted : 06 September 2010 13:43:26(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello Buggyite,

I may have a copy of that photo; I shall have a look for you later.

Just on the subject of ebay postcards I would say only pay if you want it and it is worth it to you.

Personally I buy lots of postcards but when I do bid on ebay I usually put my top bid in and then stick to it. Often I don’t know until I get a message from ebay as to whether I have been successful or not.

For instance about 12 months ago there was an old postcard of a building in Chapel that was of great interest to me and I thought there may well be other interest so I placed a maximum bid of £35 and left it at that.
There were no other bids all week and I was the leader with a winning bid of £1.99 – the day after the auction I was informed that my bid had not been successful.
The card sold for £51

I have seen lots of rare cards go for 40 and 50 quid so it can be a pricey hobby at times this local history malarkey.

R. S-S

Oh by the way Buggyite I’ve got a postcard somewhere of Winnats Pass with loads of telegraph poles on. If I can turn it up I’ll put it on here for G Jackson.
I’m sure she will get tremendous pleasure from it.

umtali  
#57 Posted : 06 September 2010 13:49:08(UTC)

Mr Buggyite

The ebay picture is now on the home page of my website – you know the one,
Looks very good at 150x enlargement.
Help yourself you know it makes sense.
You can buy me a pint next time I’m in Bugs worth.
umtali  
#58 Posted : 06 September 2010 17:04:02(UTC)

umtali wrote:

Mr Buggyite

The ebay picture is now on the home page of my website – you know the one,
Looks very good at 150x enlargement.
Help yourself you know it makes sense.
You can buy me a pint next time I’m in Bugs Worth.

Now also on at 170x see note attached.

shallcross  
#59 Posted : 06 September 2010 19:03:49(UTC)
shallcross

Buggyite

Thats good advice from RSS

The card you refer to is for sale by Yorkshirebidding who is Jack Staziak a dealer from York, Jacks postcards are always good quality but not the cheapest its a nice card but not the most unusual view, if your comfortable with the card buy it and enjoy its nice to have original stuff. RSS is also correct about the cost of some of these items now which is why people are protective of them.

Shallcross

Shallcross
Norm  
#60 Posted : 06 September 2010 19:59:29(UTC)
Norm

Man

buggyite wrote:

whereas Ethics is thouth of Thuffolk, .

Please no, help us from this insanity. 

I thought ageing pictures with horses legs and telegraph poles was bad enough, but that standard of wit has to be stamped upon. Going round to fedups with a bottle or five!

Cheers (hic)

Norm

Edited by user 29 January 2011 16:22:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified