logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages«<23456>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
george  
#61 Posted : 10 September 2010 11:05:55(UTC)
george

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I have been following the local history items with great interest and think some people are making fascinating contributions. I won't mention names in case I miss someone out. I was not able to respond before because of health problems. I will try to post a photo of the old C&HP railway lines as they cross the bottom of Bridge Street, this should stir some of your fathers memories Gnats, incidently did he have a nick-name locally? 

george  
#62 Posted : 10 September 2010 11:31:10(UTC)
george

george  
#63 Posted : 11 September 2010 17:13:43(UTC)
george

If at first....

File Attachment(s):
Gnatalee  
#64 Posted : 11 September 2010 20:48:12(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi George

Many thanks for the photo you posted - its fab ! I've shown it to Dad and asked him about a nick-name, but he says he doesn't remember. He's been very unwell this last couple of weeks and so, perhaps, when he is feeling a little better his memory may be clearer. I have to be honest, I don't recall him saying he had a nickname. All I can say is that he loved his football and cricket, grew up with the Oscrofts who were neighbours and spent his life in Whaley until he was 17.

Best wishes

Gnats

Edited by user 11 September 2010 20:49:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#65 Posted : 13 September 2010 22:39:17(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

That's a cracking photo from George, here it is so you can see it without down loading

Edited by user 13 September 2010 22:45:42(UTC)  | Reason: Speeeling

Norm attached the following image(s):
Ironbridge.jpg
buggyite  
#66 Posted : 17 September 2010 14:42:23(UTC)
buggyite

Man

This photograph, though more of a general view of Whaley Bridge, does show the Whaley Incline in the foreground, with the Buxton end of the mainline station in the right background.

So the challenge for the usual suspects is to date this, based on what buildings are "there" and which ones aren't.

buggyite attached the following image(s):
whaley1.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
buggyite  
#67 Posted : 17 September 2010 14:54:26(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Incidentally, I have scanned the above postcard at a high resolution, which enables quite good enlargements of specific areas, as per this view of the bit between Reservoir Road and Whaley Lane. You can quite clearly see the "Liptons Tea" advert on the station platform fencing! If anyone would like particular areas enlarged like this, just ask.

whaley1e.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
Gnatalee  
#68 Posted : 18 September 2010 17:25:21(UTC)
Gnatalee

Message for George:

Hi

Regarding your posting about nicknames - my Dad is in hospital at the moment and as a conversation "piece" I asked him if he had a nickname as a child. He had a little think and then said "darkie" !!!!! When I asked him why he was called that (it wasn't the colour of his hair - he was blond) he said the "Bates boys" used to call him that. I'm not sure whether it is his confusion due to being a bit poorly or whether it is true - but if it is I would love to know why !!

George, I show him many of the photos on this website and when visiting him today my brother and I were discussing some of the postings on the website - they are very good conversation starters for us. It gives him something to chat about and we learn even more about the people of Whaley.

Thanks to all and keep posting !!

Gnats

Edited by user 18 September 2010 17:45:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild  
#69 Posted : 19 September 2010 15:56:33(UTC)
parabuild

Man

An interesting account of a journey on the Cromford and High Peak from the Derby Mercury of January 1883

Edited by user 19 September 2010 15:57:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild attached the following image(s):
Derby Mercury 24.1.1883.JPG
george  
#70 Posted : 20 September 2010 11:20:19(UTC)
george

Hello Gnatalee

Sorry you dad is not well and hope he is soon better. I remember there was some one who cut hair on the bottom right of Bridge St. only because I heard people mention this when I was very young but seem to remember he was referred to by a nick name but can't remember what it was. 

Try asking him what the other buildings were next to Harold Cox's garage near the railway horse stables.

george 

george  
#71 Posted : 22 September 2010 11:31:36(UTC)
george

Re  dating your photo Buggyite,  the co-op building on the left of your photo was there in 1910, but unfortunately I don't know when it was built. The society's first shop I think was on Canal Street and opened in 1861. I was trying to see if the level crossing for the railway was visable on the photo but can't tell, if it has been removed that will narrow down your search.

george

buggyite  
#72 Posted : 22 September 2010 11:54:21(UTC)
buggyite

Man

I think the level crossing at the bottom of Whaley Lane has gone (if that's the one you mean), as the platform seems to extend beyond there.

The second block of houses on Reservoir Road (with bay windows at either end) look fairly new on that photo, and I suspect there is a date stone on the central one, so will go and have a look.

Orchard Road/Avenue doesn't seem to have been developed either.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
george  
#73 Posted : 22 September 2010 14:40:33(UTC)
george

Maybe the level crossing was removed about 1900, probably someone knows the exact date, if it was removed by then photo would be between1900 and 1910. The best I can do, can anyone do better?

george 

buggyite  
#74 Posted : 22 September 2010 15:12:38(UTC)
buggyite

Man

George,

I have the level crossing being removed and Whaley Lane being extended to join Reservoir Road as 1896. So its definitely after then.  There are no motor vehicles in sight on any part of the photo, though I don't know that would help, unless it was an "obvious" one like an Austin 7.

Why do you date it as not after 1910, though?

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
shallcross  
#75 Posted : 30 September 2010 09:18:25(UTC)
shallcross

This is interesting especialy for those who like Rail stuff, but please tell me if you cant read it as it isn't a good copy bit battered, if you can't read it there's no point posting, unless of course someone can enhance it, there are seven pages to this so tell me post  or no post.

File Attachment(s):
Cromford High Peak.jpg (527kb) downloaded 61 time(s).
Shallcross
buggyite  
#76 Posted : 30 September 2010 09:41:24(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Hello Shallcross,

I've had a go at enhancing and reducing, and it comes out like the attachment below. I can read nearly all of it, and you'll not be surprised to hear that I for one would like all pages putting up on here. It might be a bit "dry" for most others on here, though.

chp1.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
Norm  
#77 Posted : 30 September 2010 10:01:53(UTC)
Norm

Man

Is that better, only know when it's loaded.

Norm attached the following image(s):
Cromford1.jpg
umtali  
#78 Posted : 30 September 2010 12:51:23(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Umtali’s humble attempt to restore this one is on his website, Most of it is readable.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#79 Posted : 30 September 2010 14:11:09(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I don’t know if Ronnie Biggs and Buster knew about this one.
Perhaps a little early for them.

Although just off topic it was a very strong rumour that Charlie Wilson one of The Great Train Robbers sat as bold as brass at the bar in a watering hole each evening very, very close to Whaley Bridge. This was after he had escaped from gaol after 4 months of a 30 year sentence.

R. S-S
buggyite  
#80 Posted : 30 September 2010 15:23:02(UTC)
buggyite

Man

The photograph above is taken at the Kinder Reservoir construction site above Hayfield sometime between 1908 and 1912.

Its a shame that we can't see the engine number, as one very much like this went from Stockport Corporation upon completion of the reservoir to the Poynton Colliery railway system.

The carriages had previously been used by the Mersey Railway, and were used to take the navvies to and from work, as most of them lived either in Hayfield or in a temporary village of tin huts by Booth Bridge.

One final point, linking the Kinder Reservoir project with the later Fernilee one is that one of the narrow gauge locos up at Fernilee was called "Kinder", presumably named so by Stockport Corporation, even though it never worked there.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!