logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

23 Pages«<1819202122>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Elmo  
#381 Posted : 22 September 2011 15:04:28(UTC)
Elmo

Groups: Member

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

I am bidding on the post card.

Eventually I shall give all my records, memorabilia and photos to the people of Whaley Bridge; probably via Jon Goldfinch

R. S-S

OK, I'll not bid against you. Good luck in getting it.

I look forward to seeing a better scan of it.

Cheers Elmo.
Elmo  
#382 Posted : 22 September 2011 15:18:07(UTC)
Elmo

moogie wrote:

anyone know whats in this book?...

I can't remember exactly as it is quite a while since I read the copy in the WB library. I think it is a series of relatively short articles on a wide variety of topics about the village.

Cheers Elmo.
moogie  
#383 Posted : 22 September 2011 15:32:33(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)

Elmo wrote:
moogie wrote:

anyone know whats in this book?...

I can't remember exactly as it is quite a while since I read the copy in the WB library. I think it is a series of relatively short articles on a wide variety of topics about the village.

Cheers Elmo.

many thanks for the heads up......if i dont win...i can go to the libiary!

G. Jackson  
#384 Posted : 22 September 2011 17:02:35(UTC)
G. Jackson

I have a copy of the Bugsworth book, if anyone wants to borrow it just ask.

Gnatalee  
#385 Posted : 22 September 2011 17:12:04(UTC)
Gnatalee

Good evening G.Jackson

Would your Bugsworth book have any reference to Barren Clough, the Winterbottom family who lived there, and Gnathole School? My Grandad was born at Barren Clough and went to Gnathole School so it would help me "pad out" the family history in a descriptive way.

Gnats  

Edited by user 22 September 2011 17:14:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#386 Posted : 22 September 2011 17:53:12(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Lady Madonna wrote:

With regard to the New Inn although I worked there I was a patron of Nan & Ivan's when it was the Jolly Roger, once leaving my furry purse with my school bus pass in it only to be met the following morning by Nan at the school bus stop! hence my downward spiral started at a young age, the saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks springs to mind.
Lady M. 

Well Horwich Ender,

What a fascinating thread this has turned out to be. It is a pity your church thread of a similar nature has not received the same response but I suppose there is still time left for that.
It does seem that Jon the Whaley One has been unsuccessful in obtaining photos of the places of worship from his shadowy colleagues who make up the mysterious Whaley Eleven. Well we can but live in hope.

Just getting back to your pub thread I think Gail has retrieved some wonderful information about the Bull’s Head on Whaley Lane but one thing puzzles me.
You keep on about the Coach and Horses on Start Lane; now I had never heard of this establishment before this forum and up to now, as far as I can remember, nobody has come up with any information about the place.
So unless there is something concrete I think it best that you delete this from your list.

We are now approaching 28,000 viewings and I still have my famous but secret photo up my sleeve of the Horwich End Pub.
So that will increase the viewing figures even more and quite possibly many members have yet to come home and read today’s contributions which have been both varied and remarkable:
A wonderful photo of the Yellow Cat which I hope to soon purchase and yet another post full of revelations from our very own Lady Madonna who has once again admitted to being the worse for the drink and not keeping her eye firmly on her furry purse whilst out on a binge.
It does make you wonder just how many young lads have had hold of that famous furry purse of hers when she has been under the influence.

Perhaps she will let us know.

R. S-S
Elmo  
#387 Posted : 22 September 2011 22:13:41(UTC)
Elmo

Gnatalee wrote:

Would your Bugsworth book have any reference to Barren Clough, the Winterbottom family who lived there, and Gnathole School? My Grandad was born at Barren Clough and went to Gnathole School so it would help me "pad out" the family history in a descriptive way.

Hi Gnats,

Which WINTERBOTTOM family? There were four houses of WINTERBOTTOMs in Barren Clough in 1911. Fourteen individuals. The only family that I have actually identified the house for is Johnathan and Martha WINTERBOTTOM and their son Roy, who lived at what is now 121 Western Lane.

I assume you have seen the picture of Gnathole School (with the Yellow Cat in the background) in Post #192 of this thread.

Cheers Elmo.

Edited by user 22 September 2011 22:14:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#388 Posted : 23 September 2011 13:50:56(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi Elmo

My Winterbottoms were William and Mary Ann (nee Wood) - they had four children - William, John (my grandad), Agnes and Fred.  I feel sure that those you mention are related, they were a large family - I will need to consult the "tree".  Have often wondered if their house was still there.  William (Snr) was one of 8 children and so there will be many of them around.

Gnats

Horwich Ender  
#389 Posted : 24 September 2011 12:09:43(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good afternoon.

Where do I start?

Moogie and Elmo, thank you so much for directing us to the photo of the Yellow Cat. We now have two photographs that prove without doubt the pub did exist. Brilliant!

Thank you also to Chairman Jon and the forum member who supplied the photo's of the Jodrell and New Inn. Please keep them coming.

R. S-S, I can only agree with you when you say the church thread has not received the same response as this one, and to date, Chairman Jon has not been successful in obtaining any photo's from his council colleagues. However, you are well aware that Chairman Jon The Whaley One is not the fastest when it comes to posting on this forum and I am sure there are historical photo's of Whaley Churches out there and I'm still confident they will eventually find their way into Well Known Norm's Photo Album.

With reference to the Coach and Horses, are you saying this was never a Whaley pub, or is it a case that we have no information or detail of its location or existence yet?

You are really building up your famous photo of the Horwich End pub. To date this has been kept secret but I am really looking forward to it appearing on this forum.

Finally, the major revelation to come out of this thread is the fact that many years ago, Whaley's first citizen, Chairman Jon The Whaley One, was in some way involved with Lady Madonna's “furry purse”. I think I will wait to hear what Chairman Jon thought of the Lady's “furry purse” before commenting further.

NORTHBEAR  
#390 Posted : 25 September 2011 03:26:23(UTC)
NORTHBEAR

I AM LOOKING FOR PICTURES OF THE HANGING GATE PUB IN CHAPEL EN LE FRITH ALSO ANY INFORMATION ON THE INNKEEPERS. IF ANY MEMBER CAN HELP.

GARY

RockBanker  
#391 Posted : 25 September 2011 11:52:56(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Gary, have a look here http://www.whaleybridge..../localhistory/album.html . You will find a few pictures of the 'Gate.
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#392 Posted : 26 September 2011 09:21:23(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I got up this morning and had a look on ebay to see if I had won the 2 postcards showing Bugsworth scenes.
I’d put in what I thought was a decent bid and a fair price for both.
But I didn’t win either.
The Yellow Cat went for over £27 and the other for over £21.

So it just goes to show just what value in old photos has been put on this historical forum. Shallcross has mentioned the cost of old postcards in the past and I am sure he has spent a great deal of time and money on his collection.

The value of the submitted photos has been saved by Well Known Norm on his website which is all from the forum.

Thanks should go to Trusted IT and Chairman Jon for their parts in administering and providing the forum in the first place.

I would urge anyone who has any old photos to let us see them on here. It’s not difficult if I can do it anybody can.

R. S-S
taproom  
#393 Posted : 26 September 2011 09:47:34(UTC)

Groups: Guest

taproom attached the following image(s):
bugspub.jpg
JonG  
#394 Posted : 26 September 2011 10:42:02(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Many thanks taproom for sharing this with us, and welcome to the forum.

Cheers

jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Elmo  
#395 Posted : 26 September 2011 11:27:41(UTC)
Elmo

Gnatalee wrote:

My Winterbottoms were William and Mary Ann (nee Wood) - they had four children - William, John (my grandad), Agnes and Fred.  I feel sure that those you mention are related, they were a large family - I will need to consult the "tree".  Have often wondered if their house was still there

My estimate (based on the order of the entries) is that in 1911 they were living in what is now 104 Western Lane (opersite the Cricket Club House.) In 1901 the order is slightly different, which puts them at about 110 Western Lane, the other side of John Lomas WINTERBOTTOM and family (who, I estimate, lived at 108 Western Lane.) They may have moved or the order in one or more of the censuses may be somewhat shuffled. The number of rooms in all the cottages from 90 to 110 Western Lane are the same, so it is only number 112 (which has more rooms) that is easier to identify in the cencuses using that method.

Cheers

Elmo.

buggyite  
#396 Posted : 26 September 2011 18:11:47(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I'd like to echo Jon's comments, and also thank taproom for very quickly putting up scans of the two postcards that were on e-bay.

I know that R S-S will be disappointed to have not won them, but having them on here is the next best thing & I am sure Norm will add the Yellow Cat one to the Local History Photo section.

Thanks again taproom, and I hope you enjoy the Whaley forum.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
Gnatalee  
#397 Posted : 26 September 2011 20:13:14(UTC)
Gnatalee

Elmo

Thank you so much for that information. John Lomas Winterbottom is the elder brother of William Winterbottom Snr. There was approximately seven years between them. I am off to look at the properties on Google Earth !!

William and John's mother - Ellen Winterbottom nee Lomas, when widowed, was listed at an address which was a smallholding - must go a search that one out !!

Thanks once again. 

Gnats

Edited by user 26 September 2011 20:15:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shallcross  
#398 Posted : 30 September 2011 21:21:02(UTC)
shallcross

Shady Oak Fernilee

shallcross attached the following image(s):
shady oak clarkes (2).jpg
Shallcross
parabuild  
#399 Posted : 28 October 2011 21:33:08(UTC)
parabuild

Man

The former Navigation at Bridgemont. The mission in the background. The Navigation was built in 1835 and closed as a pub in the later 19th Century.

parabuild  
#400 Posted : 28 October 2011 21:34:13(UTC)
parabuild

Man

parabuild attached the following image(s):
16.jpg