logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
towpath tommy  
#1 Posted : 27 October 2010 16:26:38(UTC)
towpath tommy

Groups: Member
Man

Hello everyone.. As a newbie I may be asking a question that has been asked many times before but here goes.. Who does this impressive building belong to and what is happening to it? It seems such a shame for a building with so much potential to stand empty. Could it not be used for some waterways related service that served a purpose for local residents, boaters, walkers and sightseeers? As part of Whaley's History it would be good to see it it back in use wouldnt it? and perhaps the little road to the basin car park could also have its potholes filled in - they are an absolute devil in the dark - especially after rainfall.

Towpath Tommy ( Dave Peart ) thinks a day without laughter is a day wasted
JohnP  
#2 Posted : 27 October 2010 23:26:19(UTC)
JohnP

Man

The Trans-shipment Warehouse (aka the Transfer Shed) is a Grade 2* Listed Building. It is in the ownership of British Waterways.

In March 2008, Heritage Works Buildings Preservation Trust was commissioned by British Waterways to undertake a feasibility study for the vacant building and associated land at Whaley Bridge Canal Basin; please see: http://www.heritageworks.../whaleybridge/index.html
towpath tommy  
#3 Posted : 28 October 2010 00:10:46(UTC)
towpath tommy

Man

Hello everyone.. Thank you JohnP for your reply my first reaction is WOW - these look like very big plans indeed - it will be good to see the building put back in to sensible use.
Horwich Ender  
#4 Posted : 28 October 2010 17:21:24(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good afternoon Towpath Tommy and welcome to the forum.

I think you may have inadvertently stirred the hornets nest with your reference to the Transhipment Warehouse (T W). You are correct it has been discussed at length on this forum before, and no doubt Barrwalk will be able to provide full information.

In a nutshell, significant funds were potentially available from East Midlands Development Agency to regenerate the Whaley Canal Wharf area.

It's been estimated that in the region of £100,000 has already been spent on feasibility studies etc but apparently the Whaley Bridge Town Council in their wisdom decided to combine this project with the one to build a second bridge to the Bingswood Industrial Estate.

I was under the impression that the bridge project has failed and the money available to redevelop T W has been lost.

My understanding, which is obviously not the same as that of JohnP, is the EMDA funding is no longer available and due to the actions of WBTC has been lost forever. The T W will stay in it's present state of repair for the foreseeable future.

If I remember correctly another member asked WBTC to publish a statement on this forum of the current position regarding the development, but as is usual with the Whaley Eleven, I don't remember an official response being provided.

Towpath Tommy, you will quickly find out that although the WBTC has twelve councillors only one of them is prepared to contribute and become actively involved on this forum and in local affairs.

Rather than just directing us to a website that would appear to relate to activities in 2008, perhaps one of our councillors could update Towpath Tommy via this forum on the current state of play.

towpath tommy  
#5 Posted : 28 October 2010 17:52:01(UTC)
towpath tommy

Man

Hello Everyone.. And thank you Horwich Ender for your response.. I certainly wasnt intending to stir up any hornet's nest (dont like getting stung!) I just think its a darn shame that such a beautiful building isnt being used for the benefit of the community - that is ALL the community. I know that you cant please all of the people all of the time but surely something could be done without having to spend a vast fortune. What about a local heritage museum, a dry dock for boaters, chandlery, cafeteria/restaurant etc.. I am certainly no expert but why do all these feasibility studies cost so much and then seem to fizzle out? There was some mention of low rent income on the web site - but its earning nothing now and I think thats a shame!
I dont want to stir anything up for anyone - as a newcomer to the area I just see lots of potential and am curious about local affairs - perhaps given time I will settle into a routine or just go away and die (not in a hurry to do either) but I just think its sometimes too easy to let good assets go to waste. I note your comments about Whaley Town Council and I had been wondering who the Whaley eleven were that people keep referring to. I have found that CllrJonG is very supportive of this forum and he talks a lot of sense. I wonder why the others dont contribute??

Edited by user 28 October 2010 17:53:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

barrwalk  
#6 Posted : 04 November 2010 13:42:34(UTC)
barrwalk

Man

Hi Towpath Tommy,

Horwich Ender is quite correct in what he has recounted.

It IS a tragedy that the Transhipment Warehouse (TSW) is still empty after all the work that went into the bid to the East Midlands Development Agency - EMDA, (a soon to be disbanded quango) to gain funds from a project that could have been written specifically for the Whaley Bridge situation. We were given to 'understand' that we had a good chance of the funding.

It is a tragedy for our many community organisations who could have used the building for meetings, a cinema, etc.

It is a tragedy for the businesses that could be more prosperous by the much needed influx of tourists who would be attracted to the Information Centre. AND ... we are THE gateway to the beautiful Goyt Valley and the Peak District.

It is a tragedy for the young musicians, dancers and others youth groups who could use the refurbished building for practice and performance.

It IS a tragedy for Whaley Bridge.

The Town Council will not even maintain the grass surrounds of the TSW. I have asked them formally. What has been done has been done largely by volunteers.

Those of us who were in the EMDA bid right from the start (Whaley Water weekend - W3 and Whaley Bridge Associatiion - WBA) produced a superb multi-faceted plan for the development of the building and the Wharf site as a whole. Many hours were freely given. The politicians stepped in, took over side lining what had been done, and the project was lost through their 'greed' as Horwich Ender has said. We believe that it has been lost for ever. After a generation of talking by the chattering class in which there have been THREE consultations done on the Canal Basin (1st in 1973) and one on the Bingswood Industrial Estate, PLUS hundreds of officers hours paid for by the public purse.

I have recently asked the BW Chairman and Chief Executive what they see as the future and at the moment they have no even medium-term vision. They do say that there will soon be preservative work done on the roof, again, to maintain the integrity of the building.

I will post any news I receive on the Forum in due course.

signed .. an angry hornet!!!    

towpath tommy  
#7 Posted : 04 November 2010 18:12:57(UTC)
towpath tommy

Man

Hello everyone.. Yes Barrwalk I agree it is as you say a tragedy. I have this week spoken (via e.mail) to the british waterways moorings manager for this area and reported the state of the entrance road into the car park and the many dangerous pot holes it contains. I am assured that it will receive attention on a priority basis. With reference to the building, I can imagine the frustration of all the people involved over the years, all that time and effort, all that good will. Surely its not too late to hope that something can be salvaged for the sake of all that effort and good intentions and for the good of all Whaley residents - boaters or otherwise based.
barrwalk  
#8 Posted : 18 November 2010 14:52:54(UTC)
barrwalk

Man

I have just made contact with the Chief Exec.of British Waterways about the future of the TSW. I have been passed on to a local employee who has promised to let me know what they think the future of this listed building will be.

I understand there is to be another attempt to make the roof watertight to help preserve the building. This was done some years ago and as those who have been inside recently, on a rainy day, will testify it really does need doing again!

Edited by user 22 November 2010 22:20:08(UTC)  | Reason: sp

towpath tommy  
#9 Posted : 18 November 2010 19:03:43(UTC)
towpath tommy

Man

Hello everyone... Until the future of the TSW is decided, when the roof is made watertight, wouldnt it be a good idea to let the building be used by local boaters in some sort of co-operative group to allow D.I.Y maintenance projects to be carried out on local boats? It could well create further interest in the canal basin and the local environment. Tommy
RockBanker  
#10 Posted : 19 November 2010 09:50:31(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I think that's a great idea, but after the battles of Jericho I'm not sure how keen BW would be.
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
tyke  
#11 Posted : 19 November 2010 10:24:27(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

The Idea of using this as a venue for DIY repairs has been suggested before and turned down by BW.  The feeders from Combs and Toddbrook come in at the far end and I understand this brings in silt which clogs the shed. It was cleared out some... ooh 10 +  years ago? I can't think much has been done since then to keep it clear, like boat movements in and out! Perhaps if BW were to repair the roof it could in the meantime be used as an occasional inddor venue? Like a W3 events etc. It would make an ideal indoor market area perhaps.

barrwalk  
#12 Posted : 22 November 2010 17:13:51(UTC)
barrwalk

Man

It is quite sad that not one person on the Town Council actually appears to see the route to the economic prosperity of Whaley Bridge as anything to do with tourism. Despite a personal request for 'them' to get to grips with the Canal Basin maintenance 'they' are not prepared to do anything. It is just not recognised as the important central 'eye' of W.B.

The same goes for many other parts of W.B. and many aspects of life here. W.B. is a dormant 'flower' waiting for the right 'gardeners' to bring it to bloom.

'They' published a pamphlet, some time ago, with the heading - Whaley Bridge - "Gateway to Bugsworth Basin". That may give you a clue as to why there is no focus on W.B. Maybe "Whaley Bridge : Gateway to the Goyt Valley and the Peak District " would have been more appropriate don't you think! It just does not seem to register with 'them'.

You will find that the good ideas expressed in this thread have been around for some time, that is not to say they should not be spoken of again by others. When chair of W3 we published a plan for the Canal Basin and Whaley Wharf and we had a similar vision - an indoor and outdoor market ; a cinema; a multi-activity community centre; a tourist cafe and information centre; etc. It is still our vision! I told Tom Levitt (our MP at the time) that we woluld have a better market than Buxton and we could have if we tried harder.

It was only a couple of years ago that 'they' gave British Waterways £10k to redo the paths to Bugsworth Basin and last year gave Railtrack £1k, another multimillion pound business, to 'help' at the station!  "AMAAYZZZING darling!" as Craig would say. The barrier at Horwich End traffic lights was demolished a couple of years ago and is still not repaired.  Who cares?  The grass grows too long, the streets are dirty and the shops are shutting! Who cares? A W.B. committee was set up early this year to look at specifically the Chapel Road 'portal' i.e. entry point to W.B. It has met once! Are our portals not the first thing a toiurist sees and is not first sight important? I have suggested that we look at the five portals into W.B. but 'they' don't seem too keen.

Look around and just take note of what you would like to see to help our 'flower' blossom, I'm sure the list is very, very, long. Why not publish your list here?

towpath tommy  
#13 Posted : 22 November 2010 18:19:34(UTC)
towpath tommy

Man

Hello again everyone.. Thank you RockBanker for your message and offer of help which I appreciate and will remember. I quite agree with barrwalk about the way things seem to be going. Your council should be proud of the canal heritage and be doing something to promote it AND keep it a safe and thriving area as it has great potential. I hear it said quite a lot around election times - "you voted 'em in" - you can also by your choice - "vote 'em out" and perhaps if they are not listening to the voters they should be given a rude awakening - I know I will get this quote out of order - but you all probably know what I mean - "representation of the people - by the people - for the people" or is that me just being an idealist??
RockBanker  
#14 Posted : 22 November 2010 18:37:36(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
TT - Always happy to have an excuse to walk down the towpath to the Dog & Partridge.
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
shallcross  
#15 Posted : 22 November 2010 21:54:42(UTC)
shallcross

This is from a guide produced by Whaley Bridge Urban District Council in the sixties, I think it's Interesting to see where they put Whaley and dont forget Whaley is not just the gateway to The Goyt Valley it is a part of the Goyt Valley.

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Whaley Bridge.jpg
Shallcross
barrwalk  
#16 Posted : 22 November 2010 22:15:46(UTC)
barrwalk

Man

I like the diagram produced by Whaley Bridge Urban District Council, that just about sums it up. I always regarded Whaley Bridge as being at the centre of the earth. Now I know it IS or should that be WAS! That really does show a different frame of mind to that of the "Gateway to Bugsworth" brigade.

As for "vote 'em in! "vote 'em out" there's a problem, a big problem. I believe there are few, IF ANY, of "them" that have ever been voted in. Apathy rules in the electorate as well. That's not "their" fault as they 'stepped up to the plate' when nobody else wanted to make a contest of it but they will take some shifting now.

They are well established and in a VERY established frame of mind. It will be a bitter battle, almost like trench warfare, and that's the problem. No single person would stand any chance whatsoever of changing anything at all. A clean sweep would do the trick but can anyone see that happening? I for one cannot.

Our best hope is to encourage "them" to see the light in any way we can. Good luck to all who try!

As for anyone making use of the TSW forget it. We've tried. Even with the roof done you would need a hard hat and hi-vis jacket and be accompanied by the British Waterways Health and Safety man. You may even need a lifejacket?

Edited by user 22 November 2010 22:16:57(UTC)  | Reason: typo

shallcross  
#17 Posted : 22 November 2010 22:43:57(UTC)
shallcross

Everyone should go onto the Whaley Bridge web site and read the Council minutes, see who voted for what, and if they don't agree with something they should challenge the councilor concerned on a one to one basis, that is the best way you can change things, people even councilors do get fed up if they are constantly challenged about an issue, you can then look at the next minutes and see if the subject was raised or discussed,  Whaley is a much bigger place than it was in the Sixties probably twice the population but If I walked through Whaley in 1975 I would know 90% of the people that I met, today, more like 9% this is a wonderful site and all the council members should be embracing it and using it, not just Jon who does genuinely seem to act on things that are asked of him.

Shallcross
barrwalk  
#18 Posted : 24 November 2010 11:28:21(UTC)
barrwalk

Man

Hi Shallcross,

I regularly look at the Town Council minutes and find that they are VERY slow at being put on the website. On occasions they have been put on AFTER the next council meeting at which they were approved.  "Too late", I hear you cry! The October minutes were NOT on site at the start of the week of the next council (November) meeting. That's not acceptable.

BUT that is in the past, we hope, when no investment was put into the site. It was done on the cheap but NOW we have  a 'new' format of the website and it is a vaste improvement. We need to thank Tim of Trusted Computers and the committee for all their efforts to improve the site. I am informed it was not an easy ride!

What we need next is ALL documents (reports, invitations to meetings etc etc) referred to in the minutes having 'hit-it' easy live links to copies. Then, together with a priority putting the minutes on line (within 3 or 4 days) we start to see  my definition of accountability and thereby democracy coming into action.

There are not likely to be more than a couple of 'them' who wil read this, for their own reasons. Has the chair of W.B.T.C yet joined the real world and accepted the BBC invitation for the older generation to get computer literate?

The minutes NEVER show who voted for what but it is a great idea. There MUST be time for the electorate to read and react, . Even so there is little real information. There are no copies of reports or letters received and much of it is fodder for the chattering classes without revealing much to the electorate.

Edited by user 24 November 2010 11:38:19(UTC)  | Reason: typos and spelling

barrwalk  
#19 Posted : 24 November 2010 12:03:28(UTC)
barrwalk

Man

P.S. I have just been on the W.B.T.C. web site and there are no draft or approved minutes for OCTOBER or NOVEMBER. How can that help accountability and democracy Shallcross?

Fedup  
#20 Posted : 24 November 2010 18:48:16(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I'm afraid that this is quite normal. I truly believe that if WBTC could just lock the doors and issue no minutes at all, they would be delighted. You have to remember that the less we the "electorate" know, the less trouble we can cause them. Isn't there a saying about mushrooms kept in the dark........?

Edited by user 24 November 2010 18:49:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified