logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
G. Jackson  
#21 Posted : 29 December 2010 14:23:00(UTC)
G. Jackson

Groups: Member

I'm sorry, Yes, I did say that Bings Wood belongs to Bings Farm. I meant to say that in the time of the mass tresspass this was so. Obviously things have changed over the last 150 years.

Edited by user 29 December 2010 14:25:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#22 Posted : 29 December 2010 15:44:09(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

buggyite wrote:

I've posted a copy of part of a map from 1915 that shows a well in Bings Wood. Would this be the one? (I've helpfully added this question in red to the map)

A very good afternoon to you Buggyite and Davethescope,

I like your map Buggyite and your red ‘question’ does indeed establish the Wood Well.

As I say I, at great peril to myself, went along in the snow and ice to photograph this very Well. It is in exactly the same position as your map shows.

I’ll put a photo of it on here; probably later this evening.

But there will still be some unanswered questions with regards to this matter:

How many people lived in Whaley at that time?
Was the Well their only source of water?
How and why did they cross the ‘goat’?
Why did they not use the goat for water?

All good stuff I think you will agree.

R. S-S

By the way if you two are going on another field trip I would suggest that you start at the bottom of Bridge Street and walk to the Well via the Whitley car park. You could follow my footsteps if the snow is still there.

Happy Well hunting, lads.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#23 Posted : 29 December 2010 17:04:35(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Well I do believe this is my 1000th post to this wonderful Whaley Forum.

I know most of them have been a load of tripe so I’d best make sure this is a good ’un.

Right here goes:

We are back to the Mass Trespass and the aftermath of the trial in which the Railway had Adam Morten up before the Beak.

reception of the news and demonstration at whaley bridge.

Word came by five o’clock that Mr Morten had won his case.   
On receipt of the news, it was decided to have a demonstration and welcome home the victor.   
In the course of the day the bellman went round and invited the villagers to assemble in Market Street at 8.30. About that time people began to assemble, and by nine o’clock large crowds were drawn together by the cheering music supplied by the Whaley Bridge Band. A procession formed, and led by the band, marched through the streets to the railway station. Fireworks and torches were lighted during the march. Everybody seemed to be in the best humour, as the train steamed into the station cheer upon cheer was raised, and the band struck up with “See the Conquering Hero comes.”   
The reception was splendid, and Mr Morten walked hat in hand acknowledging the hearty cheers of the people. The entire crowd, which by this time must have numbered over 1000, marched to the disputed footpath and passed over the whole length. Coming again through the village, a halt was made, and extracts of the trial were read from a Derby paper.  
We noticed the oldest in the district with a torch, Mr Turnock, who is in his 92nd year.   
From the halting place, Mr Morten was carried home, followed by the enthusiastic populace, who must have shouted themselves hoarse.   
One of the most interesting events was the lighting of a large fire on Bings Wood as the train arrived in the station.

As interest has grown about this thread (just a tiny bit anyway) I did actually take a few snaps of Wood Well.

The first is a close up of the Well and the next two are taken from the incline and show the exact position (all in accordance with Buggyite’s map).
The last two also show the Combs Goat at the side of Wood Well.

Well I hope that’s cleared all that up; for now anyway.

R. S-S

davethescope  
#24 Posted : 29 December 2010 17:18:48(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
So Jack and I did find the well this afternoon but were so disappointed by its meagre flow of water, and its proximity to the brook that we didn't believe that it really was Wood Well. But a thorough search of the wood didn't find any other well. But we did find the foundations of a building higher up the wood. Since it was built in breeze-block and brick it obviously not of great antiquity. Any one know what it is?

Jack will be posting photos as soon as he has dried out his camera :-)
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
buggyite  
#25 Posted : 29 December 2010 20:12:43(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

My good friend Robert,

We did indeed find the well pictured on your photographs, despite the two obvious red herrings, namely the pile of rubble that you claimed be alongside , and the fact that it never runs dry. The ground between the well and the goit was remarkably lacking in running water, and I suspect your pile of rubble must have been a small snowdrift!

Now the location of the well has been established satisfactorily, Dave and I feel sure the access to it would have been from the footpath that has been mentioned, running from Beech Road, across the incline, and up to Bings Road. This is the route we took, as others would have meant a leap across the goit, which would have been a little parlous had we been carrying pails of water away from the well.

Given that one of the original trespasses was from the smithy to the well, and this smithy was by the level crossing on Old Road, it does seem to indicate that what had so upset the LNWR was people walking along the railway from the level crossing then down the incline as far as the foot crossing by Beech Road. The position of this crossing is clearly indicated by concrete posts (which would have held warning notices when the line was still in use) on either side of the embankment.

Another of the more interesting aspects of this tale is that it upsets the commonly-held view that in those days there was little social contact between "bosses" and us ordinary folks, as Adam Morten clearly took the side of his employees and their neighbours against the might of the LNWR, and fought the legal case on their behalf.  - Well Done, Adam, I say!

Going back to one of your questions - they would presumably not use the goit water for drinking, as they would rightly suspect that the water would not be of "drinking quality", owing to the visible opportunities for the goit water to become tainted. Whereas, water from a spring would be assumed to be purer.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
G. Jackson  
#26 Posted : 29 December 2010 22:15:25(UTC)
G. Jackson

The "well" that R. R-S has found would not even supply my goldfish never mind the folk of Whaley Bridge however many houses there were in those days.

What a pathetic red-herring.Does he really know where it is or has he made it all up?

G.J.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#27 Posted : 30 December 2010 19:03:54(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good evening to you, Buggyite,

I am glad my topic has stirred you into action and you too have found the Well. I think I might put my wellies on one day next week and go and dig it out. It does appear silted up. I’ll let you know how I go on or you can come with me if you would like to.

I agree with you that the ‘goat’ was open and inviting abuse and pollution and I don’t think I’d have liked to have taken a drink from the Goyt in those days but Toddbrook should have been OK.

Incidentally I once did some work on a sewage treatment works in Glasgow and what came in was not very nice I can tell you but by the end of the process the resulting water was so clean it was fit to drink. The Engineer offered me a cup of this pure water but I made my excuses and left.

As for G Jackson and his silly goldfish joke; well he is now generally accepted to be insane so debate with him is not to be entered into.
I am just beginning to wonder if he hails from North Wales.

R. S-S
G. Jackson  
#28 Posted : 31 December 2010 09:39:28(UTC)
G. Jackson

R. S-S,

gallwch chi gadw eich ffynhonnell dwr i fyny 'ch ass

G.J.

Horwich Ender  
#29 Posted : 31 December 2010 13:23:06(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Jacko Thats Nid yn neis iawn

G. Jackson  
#30 Posted : 31 December 2010 14:32:17(UTC)
G. Jackson

I Know.

buggyite  
#31 Posted : 31 December 2010 14:57:36(UTC)
buggyite

Man

I've re-read all the reports of this trespass now R S-S has completed the tale, and I have come to the conclusion that the REAL issue wasn't crossing the incline to get to the well from Beech Road, but using the length of line from Proctor's Crossing (on Old Road) down the incline to Bridge Street as a public footpath. The mass trespasses all seem to have involved getting on to the line at either Old Road, or at Bridge Street.

The references to Wood Well, and access to it, appear to me as a useful side-isue in trying to win the "sympathy" vote, first from the LNWR, and then from the jurors. It is variously claimed as being the ONLY well available to Whaley inhabitants, as the only one that doesn't dry up, and as a relatively recent creation to replace one destroyed when the CHPR was built. It can't be all three, and definitely isn't the ONLY one, as DaveTheScope's old map will testify. However, it rather looks like it was a red herring that was usefully employed in ensuring a victory for Mr Morten.

As a consequence of this court case, were the LNWR forced to remove the "Trespassers Will be Prosecuted" notices at the foot of the incline and at Proctor's Crossing?

Did this length of the CHPR subsequently become a public footpath?

In the "trains" section of the Photo album, there is a good picture looking up the incline from the bridge over the Goyt, which seems to show a well-trodden path on the right of the lines - I suspect that this would have been officially used to lead the horses from the bottom of the incline to the top,  but would also have been used as the short-cut from Bridge St to Old Road.

This leads me to some questions that G.Jackson might have been able to answer before he succumbed to Mad Buwch Disease....

Did the railway use separate teams of horses for shunting at the bottom of the incline from those that worked along the top section between Shallcross Goods and the Horse Gin?  Or were the same team used on both sections?

Were wagons destined for Goyt Mills and the Printworks taken by the "main-line" train right into Shallcross Goods, from where the horses would take them back to Whaley Incline, or did the mainline train merely shunt them onto the spur leading to the incline on its way to Shallcross?

Edited by user 31 December 2010 14:58:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#32 Posted : 31 December 2010 17:20:17(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello once more, Buggyite and a Happy New Year as well,

I agree with what you say about the mass trespass but mass trespass it certainly was.
Yes it is almost certain that the people wanted to use the incline as a short cut and Wood Well was a red herring that hoodwinked both the judge and jury.

“As a consequence of this court case, were the LNWR forced to remove the "Trespassers Will be Prosecuted" notices at the foot of the incline and at Proctor's Crossing?”
Did this length of the CHPR subsequently become a public footpath?”
If the judgement ruled that the people were not trespassing then it follows that nobody could retain a “Trespassers Will be Prosecuted" notice. That would be in direct contravention of the judgement and the company might quickly find itself back in court on a contempt charge.
“In the "trains" section of the Photo album, there is a good picture looking up the incline from the bridge over the Goyt, which seems to show a well-trodden path on the right of the lines - I suspect that this would have been officially used to lead the horses from the bottom of the incline to the top,  but would also have been used as the short-cut from Bridge St to Old Road.”
Again once Adam Morten had his victory nobody could stop the people of Whaley using the incline.
“Did the railway use separate teams of horses for shunting at the bottom of the incline from those that worked along the top section between Shallcross Goods and the Horse Gin?  Or were the same team used on both sections?”

I can not really answer that one just now but I may be able to supply you with the information over the weekend.
One thing I can tell you is that the Shire Horses that worked the incline were stabled in the old building at the rear of the Goyt Inn. This is the building that was first used by the Stampiton Group and it had large doors at the gable for the horses and a trough down the middle; you will know what that was for.
The building was later used by the Post Office as a sorting office and recently it was bought by Goyt Valley Medical Practice and demolished and the land turned into a car park.

I’m afraid, not being a railway person; I have no answer to your final question.
More about Mr Adam Morten later but I think Well Known Norm can now place this on his website if he is fit and well.
R. S-S

buggyite  
#33 Posted : 07 January 2011 20:32:05(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Here, somewhat belatedly, are some photographs of when Dave the Scope and myself went to investigate this wonderful well. As you can see, its hardly the well that kept Whaley Bridge in drinking water and cups of tea!

buggyite attached the following image(s):
woodwell1.jpg
woodwell2.jpg
woodwell3.jpg
woodwell4.jpg
woodwell5.jpg
woodwell6.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#34 Posted : 10 January 2011 15:37:25(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Thank you very much Buggyite, Dave the Scope and Mr G (has anyone seen my three legged horse up a telegraph pole?) Jackson,

Well done to the three of you; you have almost succeeded in making me look a complete fool. Yes almost but not quite, Gentlemen.

I have come on here in very good faith to report the facts, yes the facts, of the mass trespass in Whaley Bridge. Some reward I get (not that I want one anyway).
But I hope it is not in dispute that thousands of people turned up to demonstrate and trespass, risking life and limb, in order to protect and uphold the rights of the Whaley people to take their water from the Bings Wood Well. Oh and by the way Mr Buggyite, I concede that you may be a foreigner from the far off land that is Bugsworth, but the water course is a GOAT not a GOIT. I have already given the explanation for this spelling and pronunciation on more than one occasion but if you have missed it I will gladly repeat it one more time.
This was surely the biggest event in the history of Whaley Bridge.
Anyway back to matters in hand: the case ended up in the High Court it was won by Adam Morten against all the might of the Railway. Well he did have Mr Boycott as his barrister and if good old Geoff is batting for you who would back against you?

I now also find myself on the back foot as, in turn the three of you have poured scorn on the tale, and after nearly one and a half centuries you have decided to visit the Well in question. The very Well that no one knew anything about until just a few weeks ago. Not surprisingly the water is not flowing as it was all those years ago and who would expect it to?
Jackson says there is not enough for his fictitious goldfish to bathe in; Buggyite and The Scope seem to think you would have all on making a sheet of toilet paper into a wet wipe from it.

Well water is a funny thing; one minute it is there and the next it is gone. Should you need further evidence of this trace the history of Taxal Duckpond and the silence, once again, of The Whaley Eleven.

But, and this is a very big but; I think the Well has become blocked over the years but about 30 minutes with my trusty shovel should see it running free and crystal clear once more.

So here is a challenge to the 3 of you: we shall meet next week and I shall personally dig out the Well and once more it will run again. Please bring your cameras Gentlemen so that this forum can see me at work re-creating history once more.

R. S-S

G. Jackson  
#35 Posted : 10 January 2011 18:38:19(UTC)
G. Jackson

Name the day and time. Shall I bring my JCB with a small bucket?

davethescope  
#36 Posted : 10 January 2011 21:15:26(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

RSS.

In no way have I attempted to make a fool of you. You have shown as the facts as reported in the contemporary press and very interesting facts they are. The report of the proceedings of the court case to establish the footpath as a right of way closely parallels modern practice. Our footpath society is currently involved in preparing just such a case over a footpath near Congleton

Buggyite might interpret those reports in a some-what different light to you and me,; but we must make allowance for him being an out-of-towner.

I am not free until Friday this week but would be quite happy to bring my rusty spade and crowbar and help you to clear the well. Indeed if we get it flowing to its erstwhile standard we might be able to compete with Buxton.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
davethescope  
#37 Posted : 10 January 2011 21:22:39(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Etymology 1
Noun

goit (plural goits) (Yorkshire) A small artificial channel carrying water. Usually used with respect to channels built to feed mills.

Etymology 2 (Popularised by the television series Red Dwarf. Possibly a shortening of goitre (i.e. a pain in the neck), or from git.)
Noun
goit (plural goits)
(informal, pejorative) A fool.

================================================================================================

Etymology 1
Noun
goat (plural goats)
A hardy domesticated ruminant mammal that has backward-curving horns and (in the male) a beard. It is kept for its milk and meat, and noted for its lively behaviour

Etymology 2
Noun
goat
The zodiacal sign Capricorn or the constellation Capricornus

Etymology 3
Noun
goat (plural goats)

Licentious person: foolish person

Edited by user 10 January 2011 21:33:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#38 Posted : 11 January 2011 15:18:24(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good afternoon Mr Scope,

I note from post 36 you say that you have not attempted to make a fool of me; then in post 37 you come up with some sort of ‘Etymology’ (whatever that is) and somehow make the two words goit and goat to describe me as a fool.

Well this might be acceptable behaviour from Jackson but I did expect better of your good self.

I shall now, for the final time, establish that the word ‘goat’ is, and always has been, used to describe a man made water course in the town of Whaley Bridge.

There are dozens of man made water courses around this area and the one in your photo is probably the most famous although the one that turned the water wheel on the old Corn Mill on Bridge Street is my personal favourite.

Now then Botany Bleach Works had several water courses and they were all known as ‘goats’ and naturally the men and their relatives referred to any such construction as a ‘goat’

The ‘goats’ at the Botany had to have their sluice gates closed and then they could be de-silted. This was done from time to time when production allowed.
The workforce at The Botany was (and this is a little difficult to describe) at best of limited intelligence. There would be no contenders for Mastermind there that’s for sure. In fact some of the stories I could relate would be difficult for you to believe. But nevertheless they were good, honest working men.
Now The Botany was situated on the banks of the River Goyt. Are you seeing where I’m coming from Mr Scope?
Goit and Goyt sound the same.
So there had to be a way of distinguishing the two so the man made water courses became known as ‘Goats’.

As I say the workers there, although willing, some times got hold of the wrong end of the stick so you could imagine the Chief Engineer saying to six of his men: “Go and clean the ‘goit’ out this morning”
After the Chief Engineer had had his breakfast and went to see how his lads were going on cleaning the ‘goit’ he might well have found them chest deep in water somewhere between Horwich End and Stockport.
So ‘goat’ it was and ‘goat it still is. Will you please pass this information on to Mr Buggyite next time you are in contact with him?

As regards digging out the Well this Friday your offer, kind as it is, is a little short notice for me. But I would happily go some time next week if you can arrange it. I am sure Buggyite has my email address somewhere that you can use.

I don’t think we need to bother with Mr Jackson and his JCB by the way.

It is rather strange, don’t you think, that Jackson recently stated he could remember the corner being cut off the toll house on the Macclesfield Turnpike road and now he says he is a JCB driver.
In my book that makes him the oldest JCB driver in the High Peak with an age of at least 145 years.
So I suppose I must take my hat off to him on that score.

So in conclusion; I hope to see you at the Well very soon and taking up on what you said I think there is sufficient room on the lower side of the goat for us to build a bottling plant.

R. S-S
G. Jackson  
#39 Posted : 11 January 2011 16:53:44(UTC)
G. Jackson

I don't like agreeing with R.S-S after all the insults he has directed at me over the last few months but I have always known the little waterways as goats. There are some down the Torrs in New Mills and I went to a lecture at New Mills Town Hall given by Derek Broomhead of New Mills Heritage Centre and he called them goats.

davethescope  
#40 Posted : 11 January 2011 23:06:59(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Dear RSS. Thank you for that explanation which is very useful to some one who arrived in the area a mere forty years ago. I am shocked that my Shorter Oxford English does not include that definition of Goat.

But wait. Your contention that the word Goat was used rather than Goit to avoid confusion does not hold water. If those good honest working men were as easily confused as you imply then might it not come about that when the Engineer sent them off on their cleaning mission he could, on finishing his breakfast, find them in a shed on a nearby smallholding shifting piles of caprine dung?

I am engaged on Monday and Tuesday next week but will be free for the rest of the week.