logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2011 21:24:56(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

One of the wisest contributors to this forum is Horwich Ender. I have no idea who he may be, I don’t know if I know him or not. I probably do as I too was an Horwich Ender for the greater part of my life.

I quote here from Horwich Ender’s post on the thread ‘Sad Times’.

"I've also listened to the interview on High Peak Radio and would echo the comments of Mrs Curious.

In my opinion Bill Jones is the most famous personality to emerge from Whaley Bridge.

I feel it would be fitting and proper to remember him in some way if this is acceptable to Bill's family.

My initial thought would be a picture mounted in the Mechanics Institute but forum members may have more appropriate suggestions which I hope they will share with us."

I believe Horwich Ender to be absolutely correct as usual in what he says. Bill Jones is the most famous person to come out of Whaley Bridge.
But an awful lot have come into Whaley Bridge: I have just watched the ITV programme on Betty Driver.
The presenter talked about Betty and her sister Freda running a pub in Derbyshire. Well that was the Cock Hotel complete with revolving doors. I remember her well.

So what other famous people have visited Whaley in the past however briefly.
We need to have some contributions and keep a list.

Perhaps Fedup can keep the list if he has vacated his darkened room and gone on the wagon.

So number 1 is Betty Driver.

R. S-S
buggyite  
#2 Posted : 01 February 2011 21:49:11(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I'll see your Betty Driver, and raise you one Elsie Tanner (as landlady of the Navigation, Bugsworth)

Although I think HE's post was more about famous people who were FROM Whaley Bridge, rather than merely moving there.

In which case, from Hayfield (my original village) we did have Arthur Lowe, whose parents continued to live in the village, and from Buggie, I'd claim Derbyshire County  cricketer Bud Hill, and the ancestors of Lord Carrington, who lived in Bugsworth Hall for a few centuries.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2011 22:17:31(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

You did have rather a famous murderer in Buggy.
And we were once visited by Albert Pierrepoint the official hangman.
I’m not sure if your murderer was despatched by Albert’s dad. I’ll find out.

R. S-S
umtali  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2011 11:02:37(UTC)

Groups: Guest

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

I have just watched the ITV programme on Betty Driver.
The presenter talked about Betty and her sister Freda running a pub in Derbyshire. Well that was the Cock Hotel complete with revolving doors. I remember her well.

R. S-S

And then she decided to take a pub in a much more salubrious area, saw her there several times,,.. “The Devonshire Arms” Mellor, I shall never forget the look of total relief on her face.
umtali
snowy  
#5 Posted : 02 February 2011 14:12:51(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Jack Bond (Lancashire cricket captain and manager) was another famous visitor when he was landlord at the Jodrell. I remember going to watch Lancs at Lord's for the final of one of the competitions when he was managing the team, and he invited us into the pavilion. John Eastwood was also there that day; he was later to become famous, at least in Whaley, for his holiday arrangements - as mentioned on an earlier thread.

Brian Jackson was a genuinely well-known Whaley person when he played cricket for Derbyshire, although not as famous as Billy Jones.

David Millner of Dove Holes also played for Derbyshire, not sure if that's near enough though.

lord cornflake  
#6 Posted : 02 February 2011 15:02:33(UTC)
lord cornflake

The drummer from The Verve lives in buggy.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 02 February 2011 15:04:18(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Snowy,

Yes a very good selection there although I hope you were not including the proprietor of Eastwood Travel on the list. I do though wonder what became of Jon.
I have looked twice at Richard Branson but I don’t think that is him.

Incidentally and as you mention our once famous and now crumbling Jodrell Arms there were some famous visitors to that very fine hotel and after late night drinks they made their way up to Whaley Hall for more late night drinks and a bed for the night.
I am unsure as to whether Father Jamie knows of these nocturnal visitations.

R. S-S
G. Jackson  
#8 Posted : 02 February 2011 15:51:48(UTC)
G. Jackson

I can remember running, yes running, from the Post Office with a telegram to Whaley Hall. The telegram was for Harry Seacombe, he was drinking coffee with Bruce Forsythe and Tommy Cooper. I think I got sixpence for the job.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#9 Posted : 02 February 2011 16:42:24(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Well that was probably sixpence too much,

But you are correct Mr Jackson. Whaley Hall was in the late 50’s and early 60’s (or are you talking about the 1920’s) owned by a certain Captain Howarth.
The Captain owned a nightclub in Manchester and had star turns on. This was in the days of single channel telly and the stars weren’t the stars that they were about to become.
He used to bring the stars back to Whaley and somehow gained entrance to the Jodrell for drinks they then, as I said, stayed the night at his mansion on Reservoir Road.
His most popular acts were the three gentlemen you mentioned and I feel they must be included on our list.

By the way after your run (ha ha ha) did you notice if Tommy Cooper was wearing his Fez to breakfast and did you get a Brucie bonus?

R. S-S
Horwich Ender  
#10 Posted : 02 February 2011 17:40:30(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon R. S-S

Thank you for your comments regarding Bill Jones. I was beginning to think I was alone with my thoughts that Whaley's most famous son should be remembered in some way. I am pleased that you are in agreement with me but the lack of comment to my suggestion from other forum members would indicate we may well be alone in our thinking. Even Cllr Jon The Whaley One has not made a comment on the subject and bearing in mind I suggested a photograph should be displayed in the Mechanics Institute I thought this would certainly be of some interest to him.

Buggyite was correct when he said my post was more about people from Whaley Bridge rather than merely moving here, but the subject you have raised is very interesting and one I would like to comment on.

Continuing with the sporting theme introduced by Buggyite and Snowy I have the following suggestions for Fedup's list:

Alan Gowling, who as far as I am aware still lives in Horwich End.

Noddy Pullar who had the chippy on Canal Street.

Not forgetting Buggyite and our friends from over The Bings, Gordon Hill who used to live in Buggy.

Snowy mentions Brian Jackson who is a Whaley Bridge legend and still lives in Horwich End. It's my opinion, together with others who know much more about cricket than I do, that Brian Jackson is the greatest cricketer England has produced who has never played for his country. When you look at some of the players who have played cricket for England it is a travesty that Brian Jackson was never capped.

R. S-S I have another question to ask you but I will post this under a more appropriate topic heading.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#11 Posted : 02 February 2011 18:57:24(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I knew that you would not let me down HE,

That is a most impressive list and I am sure Fedup will be more than pleased to add the stars to his, by now, ever growing 'master' list. I had no idea about Alan Gowling.

Just to reply to Buggyite about Elsie Tanner at the Navi in Bugsworth. I am surprised at you Buggyite we always called her Pat and her husband was Alan Browning who lived at the pub. He was also in Coronation Street and he coincidentally played Elsie’s husband, Alan Howard; I think he used the same name as he wasn’t much of an actor.
Sometimes Geoffrey Hughes could be found in there and just as his character, Eddie Yates, he never had any money for beer.

In addition to the Coronation Street characters that have visited Whaley: on Saturday August 31st 1968 Miss Nugent (Emily Bishop now), complete with the reddest lipstick I have ever seen started the Whaley Bridge Pram Race at the Jolly Roger.
She had a starting pistol and fired it before the ready, steady, go bit causing me to fall out of my pram in surprise.
Neville Buswell (Ray Langton) also lived at the Wanted Inn with his Mum and Dad before ‘doing a runner’ to Las Vegas.
But don’t add him to your list Fedup as Sparrowpit is not in Whaley.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#12 Posted : 03 February 2011 15:36:30(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Doing my very best to keep up with all the "famous" people you keep coming up with, but have to admit, I've never heard of half of them!

Edited by user 03 February 2011 15:37:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Neil A Shaw  
#13 Posted : 03 February 2011 16:15:01(UTC)
Neil A Shaw

How about Carrie Ford, (formerly Carrie Burgess) of Forest Gunner and Grand National fame?

Carrie achieved 5th place in the 2005 Grand National and more importantly attended Whaley Primary School.

snowy  
#14 Posted : 03 February 2011 16:48:55(UTC)
snowy

Amazing how many celebrities have been to Whaley. They obviously have good taste.  

Can I add a couple more, although I fear they may be a bit obscure for Fedup's liking.  

Hedli Niklaus (pronounced Niklo) - she plays Kathy Perks in The Archers - was at Horwich End school for a couple of years in the 1950's.The connection is a bit tenuous as her family moved to another part of the country when she was still quite young.

John Allegro lived in Reservoir Road (Elmwood?). He held an academic post, at Manchester University I think, and was quite famous for his studies of the Dead Sea scrolls. He also caused a bit of a stir when he published a book in which he suggested that the early Christians spent their time getting high on magic mushrooms.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#15 Posted : 03 February 2011 17:26:41(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Jack Parker, Captain of Belle Vue Aces lived at The Stocks on Start Lane for quite a long time with his brother also a rider for The Aces.

R. S-S
lord cornflake  
#16 Posted : 03 February 2011 17:48:26(UTC)
lord cornflake

Don't forget us on here,we are famous aswell.Go into any pub at the weekend and you will hear one of us mentioned at least.

Fr Jamie  
#17 Posted : 03 February 2011 17:55:01(UTC)
Fr Jamie

Dear RSS,

Always good to hear from you, sorry not been in touch spent the day in Hospital, however the people you were on about were indeed Tommy Cooper, Harry Seacombe, and Shrley Bassey, to name but a few.

I am told that whenever Shirley went and stayed at friends she always took her own bed !!!!

Captain Howard lived here at the Hall for a while and indeed changed his name as he was I believe origianally from Poland.

As regards to the then ownnership of the Hall and Estate, you need to go back to Peverill Castle, and the Duke of Portland, well before the 1800's.

You will then see the records of the ownership of the Estate selling 171 acres of grounds and 12 acres of gardens.

we are left today with around 5 acres !!!!!

In the meantime happy searching RSS I know you can do it !!!!!!!

Fr Jamie

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#18 Posted : 03 February 2011 18:03:57(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Always very lovely to hear from you, Father,

I did not know that Shirley Bassie stayed at the Hall.

Are you correct with your spelling of the owner?

Was it Captain Howard or Captain Howarth.

Can you remember his night club in Manchester? Not that I am suggesting for one moment that you are an expert in Manchester night clubs, you understand.

R. S-S
Horwich Ender  
#19 Posted : 03 February 2011 18:52:18(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Continuing with the sporting theme – Jennifer Pinches

davethescope  
#20 Posted : 03 February 2011 19:37:14(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Quote:
John Allegro lived in Reservoir Road (Elmwood?). He held an academic post, at Manchester University I think, and was quite famous for his studies of the Dead Sea scrolls. He also caused a bit of a stir when he published a book in which he suggested that the early Christians spent their time getting high on magic mushrooms.

It was indeed Elmwood before he became a tax exile in the Isle of Man And his biographer, his daughter Judy, and her husband (yours truly) still live in Whaley on Bings Road :-)

Edited by user 03 February 2011 19:40:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.