logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
george  
#21 Posted : 12 March 2011 16:40:14(UTC)
george

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Try again

File Attachment(s):
scan0001.jpg (333kb) downloaded 99 time(s).
scan00012.jpg (288kb) downloaded 98 time(s).
george attached the following image(s):
scan0003.jpg
Digger  
#22 Posted : 12 March 2011 20:35:38(UTC)
Digger

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello George,
Thank you for the information, you have obviously been doing some extensive research on the Printworks and the local history.

When I first put my query on the forum about the bridge I did not expect so much in depth detail, and I am grateful to everyone who has contributed information, it is very interesting.

It would be nice to see a picture of he locomotive working in the printworks, or at least a picture of the line before it was removed, if anyone has one. Wishful thinking I expect.

All the best.
Digger
george  
#23 Posted : 18 March 2011 17:15:15(UTC)
george

Hi Digger,  there are a few photos around of the railway lines but they seem to be subject to copyright. The best I can suggest is if you are in W.B. you call in "Footsteps", which is on the main road coming from Furness Vale, it is on the left about five shops beyond the Pelican crossing. There is a collection of old local photos in binders, they are for sale but you can always look at them without charge. Any of the volunteers will find them for you if you ask. If you would like me to be there post a time on the forum and if I am free I could perhaps tell you more. You may wish to be incognito so just look yourself.

Meanwhile I am posting a photo I took around 1960 which shows some of the lines.

File Attachment(s):
Canal basin 1957.jpg (1,048kb) downloaded 143 time(s).
Canal basin 1957.jpg (1,048kb) downloaded 128 time(s).
Digger  
#24 Posted : 22 March 2011 12:33:59(UTC)
Digger

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello George,
Thank you for the offer.
I tend to do things on the spur of the moment these days. I stopped planning ahead a long time ago.
I will have a look in there when I get the chance to come to W.B. in the week.

All the best
Digger
franderby  
#25 Posted : 21 September 2011 19:30:08(UTC)
franderby

Hello George, I am new to the site and am very interested to read your posts about the printing works on Bingswood avenue. My grandad Thomas Derbyshire worked at the printworks there long ago. You said you lived on Bingswood ave in 1963 and I was born in 1962 on Bridge St, number 14 next to the Brook. At the end of the back garden was the brook and a big metal bridge (with open sides) that had rails going over it and up the hill. I used to play on the bridge as a child.

I wonder if you knew Tom Derbyshire? Or his son Ernest (my Dad) and wife Eliza (my Gran). I would love to find out what life was like in Whaley at that time, and especially what it was like at the printworks. What kind of fabrics were produced there? Where were they shipped off to? Would any record remain from the works that might tell me what Tom did there? I am now in textiles myself so this fascinates me. All I know about Tom was he and the other workers wore wooden clogs to work to protect the feet from the heavy equipment - pretty sketchy information! but I would LOVE to find out more. I left Whaley when I was 3 but much of my family continued to live there. Sadly all the relevent people have since departed so I cant get any more info. I'm trying to build a picture of my Grandad and what his life was like. Looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!
JonG  
#26 Posted : 21 September 2011 19:42:28(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi,

I think george has had some computer problems recently and may not be able to respond immediately. I'll check if he's up and running again.

Cheers

jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
franderby  
#27 Posted : 21 September 2011 19:50:31(UTC)
franderby

JonG wrote:

Hi,

I think george has had some computer problems recently and may not be able to respond immediately. I'll check if he's up and running again.

Cheers

jon.

Thank you Jon, good of you to let me know.
Fran.
Whaley born and bred  
#28 Posted : 17 October 2011 19:52:54(UTC)
Whaley born and bred

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Dear Fran,

George is still not able to access the Forum but he asked me to pass on a message to you.  He may be able to give you some relevant contacts and information.  If you do wish to contact him,  his phone number is 01663 732992.

Gnatalee  
#29 Posted : 17 October 2011 21:49:42(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi Fran

Sorry for not picking your post up earlier - it sounds as if you lived in my Auntie Emma Jones' house. She never married - her Dad was "the Bridge Street Barber" (which is why the little annexe was on the side of the building). My Gran was Lucy Jane Longden (formerly Jones, nee Bradley) and she lived next door. My Dad (Bill Jones) knew your Dad (Ernie Derbyshire) and you will find a photo on the history website with your Dad in a football team with Bill Brooks and other friends.

I was probably visiting my Gran's house when you were living next door !!

I hope George is able to help you with your research on the printworks. I think there are also pictures on the history website of some of the workers from the "shed".

Hopefully, when George's computer is up and running, we will hear some interesting stuff about the printworks.

Gnats

Edited by user 17 October 2011 21:52:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

george  
#30 Posted : 19 October 2011 11:27:47(UTC)
george

Morning all

Thanks to the help of jonG I can now log on, I could keep up with postings but not able to post items myself.

I have been interested in your contributions Fran and I remember your Grand parents. Tom and Glady's or Mr.and Mrs. Derbyshire as they called at our house in those days, it's a diffrerent world now. I never knew your Gran's first name until now. Tom had a car in 1938 which was most unusual in Bingswood Ave. as the second one did not appear the mid 1950's. I can tell you more but I feel it is too personal to put on the forum. JonG will supply you with my email address in case you wish too pursue this. I don't know what his job was but I wonder if he worked in the colour shop, however there are a number of men still living who can supply more info. so I will make enquiries.

I remember your father well (I would often see him around in later years) when I knew him he lived on the left hand side of Bridge St. going down, in house next to Sam and Sally Williamson's grocery shop later to become the vets I will come back later hopefully with more info.

george    

george  
#31 Posted : 19 October 2011 16:32:13(UTC)
george

Back again Fran,

I've just been talking to an old Bingswood printer who thinks your grandad Tom worked in the croft where they bleached the cloth (which would have come from the a weaving mill in a grey colour) to make it white. I can imagine this being likely they would wear clogs with wooden soles as the bleach would damage boots with leather soles. With Tom owning a car I asked if he would have been quite well off to which he said working in the croft he would hve been comparatively well paid. In the 1950's the manager Bert Heap came to work on a bike, there could various reasons for this but I thought you might find this of interest. I was also told as far as he could remember they only printed on cotton which was also called calico, hence The Calico Printers Association. Thats all for now.

Can I asked what Fran is short for? I have been talking to someone who thinks they might have known you who lived down Bingswood Cottages.

Do you have any more spacific questions?

george

Paul Charnley  
#32 Posted : 28 April 2012 10:39:33(UTC)
Paul Charnley

Man
France

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The bridge over the river was to enable the small diesel engine to get to its shed .
My dad Fred Charnley was engineer there for a few years , and I would go down with him on a Sunday morning whilst checking all was OK ..
He would let me climb up on the engine and sound the horn - which was to me very loud .
His brother Bob Charnley was a printer at the works and lived in Bingswood cottages .
Bro. Sam Charnley (eldest ) , lived on the Bings .
I think you will find a photo of Bert Heap and others when they were on one of of the works outings + when the C.P.A. had 2 chimneys ...
Paul Charnley

Edited by user 28 April 2012 12:46:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
C.P.A.pdf (1,638kb) downloaded 122 time(s).
Paul Charnley  
#33 Posted : 29 April 2012 16:45:31(UTC)
Paul Charnley

Man
France

I was hoping a few names could be added to the photos as I know a few but not the faces ...!!! ...Paul ...

Edited by user 29 April 2012 20:06:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#34 Posted : 30 April 2012 10:40:35(UTC)
G. Jackson

Hi Paul,

I'll start the ball rolling with the bottom right photo.

The person on the extreme left is Gerald Walker  (recently passed away). Whilst you lived on Jodrell Road Gerald and his wife and two children lived on Jodrell Meadow at number 30.

PS Have you still got the garage at the end of Jodrell Meadow?

PPS Did you ever get the model aeroplane engine to start and run, even with the clockwork starter.

G.J.

Paul Charnley  
#35 Posted : 30 April 2012 12:39:27(UTC)
Paul Charnley

Man
France

Hi there G.J. - That means you know me better than I know you ...???
Thank you for starting a list off ... sitting second from right (bigger photo) , also standing extreme right (smaller photo) - Dad - Fred Charnley ..
Standing , back row , 4 th from right (bigger photo) his bro. - Bob Charnley ...
Sitting front row with arms round lady, (bigger photo) - Denis Mackie ... Lived near Jack Hallam`s cycle shop ...

There were two wooden garages in that corner , Roland Look and son Allan had the larger & kept / repaired their lories there , Allan spent half his time helping with cars etc....
Dad had the small old one (even in the 50 / 60`s) I think they were finally bought by the bungalow next door , they built a new one , visible on Street View but do not know about the one just visible next to it ...

Yes the old control line stunt plane ( my son Ant. still has it down in Northampton ) - we had two engines -a Mills 0.75 cc and a 1 cc ED Bee Super Racer , both ran well when on shop fuel , but we kids always tried to mix our own with not so good results , I would fly up at the cricket field until I was thrown off - they said I would damage the grass , may have been true ... And yes the clockwork starter worked very well ...!! Best Regards to all who remember us ....Paul ...javascript:insertsmiley('Cheers%20','/forum/images/emoticons/cheers2.gif')

Edited by user 10 May 2012 10:17:44(UTC)  | Reason: still trying to get add Smiley to work ...

G. Jackson  
#36 Posted : 30 April 2012 13:57:30(UTC)
G. Jackson

Hi Paul,

In the General Discussion part of the forum is a topic "Remember Arthur Jackson".

The clues are all there, I'll wait for your email.

G.J.

Minibusoptions  
#37 Posted : 02 May 2012 09:06:22(UTC)
Minibusoptions

tyke wrote:

The railway line in question ran into the shed in the industrial estate. )upstairs). I can remember when it was Chappell & Wright seeing evidence of this in the shed. Maybe someone who works at minibus options might confirm this today

What an interesting discussion.  I've really enjoyed seeing the photos of our buildings from years gone by.  If there are any more pictures which show the industrial estate, I would love to see them

I can confirm that the bridge continued along our vehicle compound into the upstairs of the factory.  I believe that the coal was then poured into hoppers.

David

Paul Charnley  
#38 Posted : 04 March 2013 09:47:12(UTC)
Paul Charnley

Man
France

With Reference to Post No. 19 / George ...Dated 12 th. March 2011 ... Where George talks about work on the old chimney in 1893 .....
After looking into some of my Uncle Bob Charnley`s papers , ( a printer @ C.P.A - Bingswood ) I have found three old photos which I now realize are of the old chimney when they were trying to straighten it ....... Paul ..... these must be rare .....!!!!!

File Attachment(s):
CPA 3.jpg (312kb) downloaded 120 time(s).
CPA 4.jpg (264kb) downloaded 103 time(s).
CPA 5.jpg (319kb) downloaded 100 time(s).
thanks 2 users thanked Paul Charnley for this useful post.
Jean on 05/03/2013(UTC), buggyite on 05/03/2013(UTC)
george  
#39 Posted : 07 March 2013 12:04:50(UTC)
george

Hi Paul,

These are wonderful photos, I have never seen them before they must be very rare.

I remember your father I can just picture him now, I remember the name Bob Charnley but can't picture him or remember where he lived. The memory dims.

Have you any more old photos like this?

George Hill 
shallcross  
#40 Posted : 08 March 2013 11:32:50(UTC)
shallcross

Paul
Very interesting photos, Thanks for sharing them
George has the memories of these events but it is nice to be able to have the two together.
The Charnley family are one of the family's that came to Whaley from Radcliffe and the skills they brought with them were very much linked with the Printworks and Calico Printing.
Shallcross