logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RockBanker  
#41 Posted : 13 November 2009 09:22:59(UTC)
RockBanker

Groups: Member
Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I concur with Fr. Jamie that the Boat House Inn in Shrewsbury is a fine place - Or at least was 15 years ago. I recall they had a stuffed alligator that was claimed to have been fished out of the river many years previously.

The bridge does have some significant similarities, but the date (1922) rules it out of contention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porthill_Bridge

Edited by user 13 November 2009 10:40:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
parabuild  
#42 Posted : 29 November 2009 08:40:28(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Browsing through e.bay I see that there are numerous Goyt's Bridge postcards currently for sale.  These two colour cards caught my eye.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
goyts bridge.jpg
goyt.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#43 Posted : 01 December 2009 12:26:47(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Unlike your good self Mr Parabuild my photos do not have a camera in the bottom right hand corner. Can you let us know what this symbol means?

In the meantime I post below a colour photo of Errwood Hall.

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#44 Posted : 01 December 2009 12:52:45(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I think this is possibly the rarest and best photo of Errwood Hall showing its position in relation to the Goyt Valley.

All the buildings in the foreground are under water now and you may have to use your computer magnifier to see the Hall but I can assure you it is there.

What a place it was and what a crying shame it is no longer there.

R. S-S

snowy  
#45 Posted : 01 December 2009 14:29:45(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Thanks to all for yet more great pictures.

For those with time on their hands and a functioning broadband connection there's a nice summary of the history of Errwood Hall and the Grimshawe family via this link:

http://www.grimshaworigin.org/Webpages2/ErrwoodGoyt.htm

The site refers to a book called "The Goyt Valley Story" by Clifford Rathbone, published in 1964, which describes the walk down from the Cat and Fiddle before Errwood Reservoir was built. I'm sure I had a copy of this book, but can't dig it out at the moment. If I find it, does anyone know if it would be infringing copyright to scan the pictures and post them here? I guess it's long since out of print. 

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#46 Posted : 01 December 2009 15:18:29(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Snowy,

We have had the discussion on here several times about infringement of copyright. The consensus of opinion is to load them on to the forum. Absolutely nothing will happen.

This forum is about Whaley Bridge and the surrounding areas and the photographers will all have gone to the promised land long ago; so if we can have a glimpse of the past let’s go for it. In my book the past belongs in the present if you see what I mean.

R. S-S

Snowy just as an example of things that disappear and a few years later somebody says: “Do you remember such and such a thing?” and nobody can quite remember it accurately because it is no longer there.
Well earlier this year Fernilee Village Hall was here for all to see. Most of us drove past it hundreds of times. But it is now gone but how many took photos of it so that it was not quite lost forever?

RockBanker  
#47 Posted : 01 December 2009 15:33:21(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

But it is now gone but how many took photos of it so that it was not quite lost forever?

Then thank goodness for Google Streetview .

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#48 Posted : 14 December 2009 22:25:22(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Right George,

I’ve had enough of fountains; nice though they were they are hardly the Bellagio Fountains that can be seen on the Strip at Las Vegas.

So back we are in the Goyt Valley and now we have arrived at the very top of the valley. In fact we are at the Cat and Fiddle pub. Somewhere I am sure you have wined and dined someone very special to you George.

There is a pub sign there that, for the people that could not read, describes where they are. In fact that is how pub signs were designed. If for instance you said to someone that you would meet them at The Board Inn and they could not read they would identify the pub by the sign which shows all different types of boards.
For some reason this does not apply to The White Lion in Disley which shows a zebra. But that’s Disley for you.

I have managed to collect a series of photos that shows the Cat and Fiddle throughout the years and different seasons but in every one of them the sign is the same.

I’ll post the different photos on this thread one by one because I’ve got quite a few of them.

Sleep tight, George.

R. S-S

george  
#49 Posted : 15 December 2009 09:30:30(UTC)
george

Good morning all

Thank you to everybody who posted on this topic with such interesting and excellent photos, I was especially impressesd by the quality of your first one parrabuild on posting no.42. Also  of course our very own R S-S who is a mind of information and has enormous resources, a mutual friend tells me he has been very helpfull with this.

I look forward to what is to come R S-S.

george

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#50 Posted : 15 December 2009 09:48:06(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

This is a rare photo of the Cat and Fiddle.

Why it is supposedly rare I do not know as there are many older photos.

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#51 Posted : 15 December 2009 10:18:25(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Posted from Buxton to Carnforth March 1913.

High Peak Harry  
#52 Posted : 15 December 2009 23:19:34(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Last year I took some French colleagues over this very road. Once on the top they insisted I stop so that they could take pictures from the lay-by opposite. They then rang friends across the water to tell them how magnificent it was. On a clear day you can easily see the Wrekin from there.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#53 Posted : 16 December 2009 08:54:29(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Bonjour Arry,

Vous les amis français ont apprécié leur voyage au Chat et Violon et ils ont dîné finement sur Moules et Frites?

R. S-S

High Peak Harry  
#54 Posted : 17 December 2009 19:13:45(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Non Monsieur Smythe, poisson et frites.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#55 Posted : 17 December 2009 19:16:26(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

1960 but a bit like today (17th Dec, 2009)

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#56 Posted : 21 December 2009 18:12:20(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

We all know full well about newspapers and the old saying, presumably from the ‘Editor’ to his roving reporters: “If there’s no news then make some up.”

The Sun and News of the World are the two most pointed at these days but it does seem that things may have always been the same.

Witness these 2 reports taken from the archives of The Macclesfield Courier, a first class newspaper I am sure.

30 January 1847.

burglary.    Information has been received at the County Police Office in this town of a desperate burglary, in which one of the burglars was killed, and to have taken place on Wednesday night at Errwood House, near Buxton, the seat of Samuel Grimshaw Esq.    The family are absent at Southport, and the house is left in charge of servants.    On Wednesday night, it is said, a gang of burglars broke in and seriously ill treated the servants, but while they were engaged in ransacking the house, the gamekeeper came up, and fired amongst them, killing one of the party on the spot; the rest made their escape.

6 February 1847.

alleged burglary at errwood hall.    On the authority of the Superintendent of the County Police in this town, we gave currency last week to a rumour which prevailed of a man having been shot in an attempted burglary at Errwood Hall.    We have since ascertained from the same source that there was not one word of truth in the rumour.

Strange how the word “alleged” was so quickly inserted into the text 162 years ago. It would have been even quicker today.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#57 Posted : 29 December 2009 15:53:30(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A quick message to our resident photographer, Mr Parabuild.

Sir, last summer you provided us with some great photos of the now derelict Errwood Hall and I asked if you had had the chance to visit the Shrine and graveyard.
You said that you hadn’t had enough time but it really must go to the top of your list of things to do.

I don’t imagine anyone would expect you to go up there this evening but it has to be a priority. You wasted enough time looking for Old Silverheels this year and that particular discussion was brought to an abrupt halt by some unscrupulous person who thought it would be good fun to have a laugh at mine and your expense by planting a set of pot cow’s legs on the by-pass roundabout.

However, I am sure there will be no such childish pranks on this occasion.

The graveyard is just above the derelict Hall; about a ten minute walk. The Shrine is best reached by going across the dam wall from Long Hill and turning right up the Embridge Causeway then after about a mile you will see a pull-in with a little gate. The Shrine is about a ten minute walk down the path and a half hour walk back up again.

Inside the Shrine there are usually fresh flowers, money donations and letters asking for good health etc.

I did leave a small donation and a little note about my bad back but it has not worked as yet. But fingers are still crossed on that one. I fear I may need to increase my donation to guarantee results; but there is nothing in there that implies ‘no result – no fee’.

Below is an old photo of the Shrine so that you do not take a picture of the wrong building.

Good luck on your new quest Mr Parabuild.

R. S-S

G. Jackson  
#58 Posted : 29 December 2009 16:49:42(UTC)
G. Jackson

It's a shame Mr. R. S-S has mentioned the shrine at Erwood as the collection box there has been keeping me in beer money and fags for the last twenty years. It has also provided me with snow tyres for the electric buggy recently. I can now drive almost to the shrine even in the snow or mud.  I suggest R. S-S puts notes of the realm with his medical request notes as this will enable me to renew the batteries sooner than later. Happy New Year to everyone. G.J.

parabuild  
#59 Posted : 30 December 2009 10:39:37(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Good Morning R. S-S.

I trust that you had an enjoyable Christmas and are looking forward to celebrating the New Year.  I am not, for I have been set a daunting task. It is a long walk from Furness Vale to Errwood in this ice and snow and then back again.  I know that I can take the bus to Long Hill but it is still a good trek at this time of year.  I know that the tomb will look picturesque in the snow but I think it would be wiser to wait for brighter weather.  I might of course hitch a lift on Mr. Jackson's buggy.

In the meantime, I am still investigating Furness Clough, it's colliery, brickworks and tramway.  I hope to have more to say on this subject in the near future.

Stepping back a few posts to the Cat and Fiddle reminds me of a tale I was told by an old Macclesfield bus driver.  Back  in the 50's or 60's when the Macclesfield to Buxton service was operated by the North Western company, the bus would often arrive early at the Cat and wait out it's time there.  Most of the passengers were regulars, shoppers and the like and were in the habit of carrying tid bits  for the sheep.  Those animals would invade the bus through it's open doorway, bleating for their treats. The conductor would then have to chase them off before continuing the journey to Buxton.

I heard another story in a similar vein concerning a dog which lived in Birch Vale.  Every morning, it would wait at the bus stop. Attached to it's collar was a purse containing money for the fare. The conductor would replace a few coins with a ticket.  On reaching Hayfield, the dog would take a walk around the village before taking the next bus home.

G. Jackson  
#60 Posted : 30 December 2009 13:01:32(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Parabuild,

I think I know  the dog of which you speak,  but there again there are a lot of dogs in the New Mills area that do tricks for a handfull of cash.