logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ste  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2011 23:10:32(UTC)
Ste

Groups: Member

Hi all,

As a potential resident, i've been lurking on the forum here to try to get a feel for what WB is like as a place to live, but I can't really get a good feel for it from the posts.

Hoping to get some feedback from residents.

Particular areas - what are the pubs like? Also, if anyone commutes to Manchester in the morning via train, how busy are the trains?

Or just anything of interest, good or bad.

I know it's a quiet town, which I like... but some activities would be nice!

Thanks!

RockBanker  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2011 23:51:42(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

There is a great variety of pubs - I'm sure you would find several that you would enjoy calling your local. As for housing there is everthing from two-up two down terraced houses to large detached houses in stonking great gardens. Decent selection of local shops, including two butchers, greengrocers, bakers as well as a Tesco. Cant tell you about the trains - It's many years since I commuted by rail. Good number of community organisations if you are the joining -in kind. Good sense of community. Fantastic walking country on you doorstep - You do not need a car to do some classic peak district walks, visit a pub and be home for tea. Thriving art, music and cultural life in the area - nearby Buxton punches well over its weight in that respect, and if you need the big city fix Manchester is not too far away.

Lived in a fair few places in my time around the UK. None better than Whaley.

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
Lady Madonna  
#3 Posted : 26 July 2011 01:11:11(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Hi Ste, Firstly welcome to the Forum.
I would agree with RockBanker re. Pubs, shops - some of which are still family business's, music caters for all tastes & there are many festivals & events throughout the year.
The people of Whaley are both welcoming and freindly, there are 2 excellent schools. The trains run on time (usually) alot of people commute to the big city, my neighbour has been doing so for the last 25 years but i couldn't tell you how busy they are, sorry. If you do decide to move to Whaley I am sure you will find it a good place to live.
Lady M.
RockBanker  
#4 Posted : 26 July 2011 08:07:20(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Would also add thriving Football and Cricket clubs - Dinghy sailing on Toddbrook, Errwood and Combs reservoirs - Whaley Bridge bowls club is also one of the main social centres of the town with various activities throughout the year - Very welcoming golf club at Chapel-en-le-Frith.

furnessvale  
#5 Posted : 26 July 2011 12:21:04(UTC)
furnessvale

Ste wrote:

Hi all,

Particular areas - what are the pubs like? Also, if anyone commutes to Manchester in the morning via train, how busy are the trains?

Thanks!

Rush hour trains get busy as they approach/leave Manchester.  You will always find a seat going in the morning.  Coming back in the evening you may have to stand, sometimes as far as Hazel Grove if you are unlucky.  However, compare the times to a road commute where I have found a Furness Vale to Manchester time of 1hr 20 minutes not that unusual.

George

furnessvale  
#6 Posted : 26 July 2011 12:22:44(UTC)
furnessvale

Ste wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks!

Rush hour trains get busy as they approach/leave Manchester.  You will always find a seat going in the morning.  Coming back in the evening you may have to stand, sometimes as far as Hazel Grove if you are unlucky.  However, compare the times to a road commute where I have found a Furness Vale to Manchester time of 1hr 20 minutes not that unusual.

George

davethescope  
#7 Posted : 26 July 2011 13:52:15(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Last Thursday I took a bus to Buxton and walked over Coombs Moss to The Beehive for lunch and then continued back to Whaley for a pint at the Sheps. On Friday I went to the Cinema in Manchester by train. I remember thinking how wonderful it was to be able to indulge in two such contrasting pleasures from one place and without the use of a car.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
sfmans  
#8 Posted : 26 July 2011 17:49:34(UTC)
sfmans

Man

Agree with all the above, and there's also great walking to be had - you can set off in just about any direction, there's easy access to Kinder and the tops for the more adventurous, or just along the canal or the reservoir for a gentler stroll.

It's a great place to live, haven't regretted moving here for a single second.
RockBanker  
#9 Posted : 26 July 2011 21:08:57(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Just to keep things balanced, I guess I should point out some of the negatives....
- The three main roads (Buxton Road / Market Street, Chapel Road and Macclesfield Road) are fairly busy.
- Parking can be a problem for residents of older properties without their own driveway or garage on some streets.
- The Canal Basin area is somewhat blighted by being on the HGV access route to the Industrial Estate
- The Jodrell Arms, the town's most famous pub is still empty and forlorn
- In the last two severe winters the gritting of sidestreets and pavements has been ineffective or non-existent
- It can be a bit of stiff a climb for some from the town centre their homes - Particularly to the top of Meadowfield for example 

Edited by user 26 July 2011 21:19:08(UTC)  | Reason: Need to be fit

Benga  
#10 Posted : 27 July 2011 10:18:17(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Hi Ste

You are right when you say whaley is a quiet town but if you like attractive countryside you wont be dissappointed. You ask what the pubs are like and im afraid you will be very dissappointed. whaley has over 7000 residents but very few use the local pubs. the jodrell is shut  and so is the navi. The bowling club is quite popular but i would guess the average age of people using it is nearer 70 than 40. very few young people use the pubs and youll be lucky to find a pub in the week with more than 10 people in it and these tend to be the older generation of 40+. whaley has many good points but if you are looking for a vibrant pub and night life you would be better looking somewhere else.