logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Over the hill but not far away  
#1 Posted : 25 February 2011 15:38:58(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

Groups: Member

Afternoon all,

Thought I'd start a positive thread just in case people looking in at the forum think the town is full of depressives.

Tomorrow  I will look down on Whaley from Chinley Churn and a take time to reflect on the area of outstanding natural beauty before me.  I will walk with friends to the Old Hall for a late lunch and a beer festival where I will meet some nice people.  I will then walk back down the canal remembering when the Bugsworth arm was closed and the hard work put into the conservation.  I will tut at a plastic food container left by the canal side and pick it up.  I will see people fishing, walking the dog and children feeding the ducks, most folk will at least nod a greeting.

I know that I will be able to leave my car safely overnight.  I know that I will not be mugged at the Station, where I will note the restoration work being undertaken.  I will have seen people gather to watch the steam train go through.  I will not see police riot vans.  I will not see a youth wearing a face mask whilst riding his mountain bike. 

I will buy some cat food, wine, a newspaper and a pork chop and receive cheery service.  I will see a full coffee shop and folk having a cuppa with friends in Footsteps or the Coffee Morning.

I could go on, but I think I have made my point.

Cheers

Edited by user 25 February 2011 15:44:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tyke  
#2 Posted : 25 February 2011 17:09:51(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

So why do you live over the hill?

moogie  
#3 Posted : 25 February 2011 17:18:19(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)

here here!!!......

there are poeple all over the country who would read your post and think you were on another planet altogether.......

You point out how lucky we all are........rich or poor.......we are all a 5 min walk from things some children may never see in a lifetime!

Horwich Ender  
#4 Posted : 25 February 2011 17:21:11(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Very well said, OTHBNFA.

backward walker  
#5 Posted : 26 February 2011 12:35:33(UTC)
backward walker

Man

That is exactly what I think, well said to that person having watched a programme about the Yemen I know that i am a very lucky man, lets celebrate the peak district love it.
sfmans  
#6 Posted : 26 February 2011 13:52:24(UTC)
sfmans

Man

Here here

We moved up to Whaley from South Manchester and believe me it really is a different, and very much nicer, place up here. It might not be perfect - nowhere ever is - but I wouldn't go back ....
george  
#7 Posted : 28 February 2011 10:44:05(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good morning all,

I was born in good old W.B. and left for ten years after I was married, but I never really left, I was often coming back and my heart is here. From the centre we can walk in any direction and enjoy a nice walk, either a short or long one with beautiful scenery with plenty of trees. The friendly folk here usually have time for a chat, both locals and newcomers. I was fortunate to have a shop on the main street and I would have not had one anywhere else. I met many friendly people and got to know a lot of newcomers I might not have met if I hadn't been in the shop. Now I meet lots of people in Footsteps. (Stranger are friends we not yet meet.)I have had many discussions with newcomers who often say they were attracted to come here because it is such a friendly place, visitors make similar comments too. However I must say I miss the wide variety of shops we had, but I call it reverse progress. Whaley Bridge has an interesting industrial history and had a variety of personalities. I am hoping to stay here as long as I can.

george   

Ferni  
#8 Posted : 02 March 2011 21:37:28(UTC)
Ferni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

thanks for starting this thread in praise of all that's positive about Whaley Bridge.

It's all too easy ( when you get to a certain chronology ) to have a  grump about almost everything in our lives.   Choosing your 'home turf' to moan about is a soft target; it can't defend itself, for one.....

So a thread dedicated to the virtues of this humble village is well overdue.

I'm Whaley born & bred, but am not of local stock. That means I'm not in the 'kick one and they all limp'   set of families here, yet my family is one of the most well known here, because we belong.

I love the fact that generations of families have kept this village a secure and safe network. - a framework -   which supports and  upholds a way of life which is sadly lacking nowadays -  not just in cities but in this ever dissipating society where close family and friend bonds cease to  exist due mainly to  'progress'.

I never appreciated this village until I left it and went to live abroad and upon return lived 'abroad' again  in Dove Holes ( joke!) . 

I love all the characters we have and dearly miss the characters we've lost, untimely aswell as consequentially.  I listen patiently to old folk going through their family connections, weaving continually the web of 'belonging' to somewhere.. meaning something to people. 

You just don't get that in the anonimity of big towns and cities. 

We have the Peak District National Park on our doorstep - we need to capitalise more on that fact.

We have the beginning of a canal right in the centre of our village.. we definitely should be promoting and capiltalising on that !

We have the bright lights, big city near enough to be just far away enough - and the quality of life and peace of mind  to be able to enjoy that immensely.

Crime is is almost non-existent : it's never not going to be there, but compared to only a few miles down the A6 there is nothing to be worried about.

As a woman you can freely walk home at 2am and not feel in the least bit  threatened.

As an 'incomer' or just a visitor, you can be assured that you aren't going to get  accosted or stared at just because you're an unfamiliar face. I've spoken to people in the pubs who have travelled up from Manchester, are stopping by after being on a stag-do at the dogs in Belle Vue, or similar things,  who spend time in Whaley knowing that it's s safe friendly village.

Would we be any different if it weren't for the positive input  by non-born and breds? definitely !  Without the fresh takes, the new ways, the new-blood we would have stagnated a long time ago.  Our industries have gone and along with it a way of life which sustained this village for many decades.

Change is inevitable - whatever form that takes.. but the core framework also has to be there to accomodate those changes. There are many in this village who fit into  both camps, so I am reassured  that we aren't in inevitable decline - it's not all doom and gloom.

So yes.. Whaley is a TOP place to live - we are the envy of many .. we should indeed brag that we live here.

I know I do ! 

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.