logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fedup  
#1 Posted : 31 May 2009 20:18:28(UTC)
Fedup

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Quite a serious post this, and I'm not sure whether anyone would have any experience of a similar nature, or any knowledge of how to deal with it.  Because of the sensitivity of the subject, no names or addresses.

A lady friend of mine, in her latter years, on her own in the Whaley Bridge locality, lives in her own small, terraced cottage, one of a row.  She is a quiet lady, just wanting to enjoy her life, and gets on with all the other residents of her street,  except her immediate  next door neighbour, a single man, perhaps in his 40's, who is making her life a misery.

He plays music constantly, at very high volume and whilst doing so thumps constantly on the adjoining wall.  If my friends telephone rings, he bangs on the wall.  He not only plays his music in the house, but on pleasant days he takes a loud speaker into the garden and plays it there as well, again at full volume.  This means my friend is unable to sit outside, even when the weather is clement, as over the last few days.  She has to keep her door and windows closed to help deaden the noise.  He is an excessive drinker, and when in his cups is liable to shout abuse at her.  He has accused her of stealing from him (a Kleeneze catalogue of all things!), on one occasion has threatened her with physical violence, watches her constantly when she goes into the garden - staring over the fence at her until she feels so uncomfortable that she goes indoors - and on two occasions she has found plastic bags filled with dog poo on her front step.

If anything is said to him about his behaviour, however politely it is put, he turns into a raging lunatic, threatening, shouting and abusing whoever speaks to him.

The other people in the street tend not to want to get involved because they don't want his attentions turning to them, but I believe that yesterday his music in the garden was so loud that another neighbour spoke to him about it and ended up being shouted at and abused.  It almost came to an actual fight.

I haven't catalogued all the things he does - there are too many to list them all - but perhaps the above gives you an idea of what she has to put up with.  She became so desperate with the situation some months ago that she spoke to the police about it, but they seem unable, or unwilling, to do anything.  She also spoke to a solicitor, but all he could suggest was that he could write a letter to him, which would obviously make matters worse and actually solve nothing.

She has been trying to sell her house for some time now, but of course with the recession, nobody is viewing and even when she has had viewers, the minute she takes them into the garden, there he is, staring, burping, and, putting it politely, passing wind loudly.  She despairs of ever selling the property.

If these were council properties there would obviously be avenues for her to go down, but with all the properties being privately owned, no such avenues exist.  Or do they?

Does anyone on this Forum have any advice or experience to deal with this problem? I know that some of you will think why doesn't she just ignore him, but it has got to a stage where she can no longer do this, and she is living on her nerves.

Sorry if this is not the normal type of post for the Forum, but it does seem so unfair that, at her age, she has to put up with such loutish behaviour day in and day out.

Jake  
#2 Posted : 31 May 2009 20:45:48(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Hi fedup

My first thought is that you need evidence so a camcorder would be useful this would pick up how loud the music is and the time it is being played. The police are the answer but like I say you need something to prove how intolerable the situation is. People in the street need to stand together in order to get the asbo that will be required to put a stop to this.

I will give it some more thought, but come back to me on the above suggestion.

Jake
Whaley Wanderer  
#3 Posted : 31 May 2009 21:18:53(UTC)
Whaley Wanderer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well many years ago living in a town far away a similar thing happened with me and my OH. WE had a nightmare neighbour who 'liked his music loud'. He was very intimidating and agressive and it was a terrible time for us, so I totally empathise with your friend. Now what we did was get in touch with the enviromental health department at the local council. They will take your friends details and suggest she keep a diary of all events. They will give her a contact number so that when the neighbour is being noisy, she can contact them and they'll come around with noise monitering equipment. When they've collected enough evidence against him, they'll go to court. In our case, the guy had all of his music equipment confiscated. He was then arrested on a totally different matter and sent to jail. Anyway get your friend to contact:
http://www.highpeak.gov.uk/environment/noise.asp

I hope she gets it sorted. If she is getting abuse and threatening behaviour then contact the poice EACH time. IF nothing else a record will be made for when this unsavioury character goes to court.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 01 June 2009 07:49:36(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello Fedup,

What a sad story to start the new week.

Contact Paul Mellor at HPBC; he will come round and give your friend all the advice she needs. He will come round straight away and is a top bloke.
If he can’t sort it himself he will know exactly how to go about it.

I would advise you though that there is unlikely to be an overnight solution. But it will get the ball rolling.

R. S-S
High Peak Harry  
#5 Posted : 01 June 2009 15:25:35(UTC)
High Peak Harry

I can also vouch Paul Mellor on his speedy response to problems. We had problems with an 'untidy' neighbour and he was on the case straight away.

Tell your friend not to give in and do things by the book.
JohnP  
#6 Posted : 01 June 2009 17:13:19(UTC)
JohnP

Man

The situation that is described should be drawn to the attention of High Peak Borough Council's Anti-Social Behaviour Officer Hannah Cocker. See: http://www.highpeak.gov.uk/news/press/2008jul1466.asp

Hannah may be contacted via HPBC Call Centre on 0845-129-7777. If Hannah is not available to be connected with you, then leave a number where you can be contacted and the Call Centre will send an email immediately to Hannah's emailbox.

Hannah is able to liaise with the police and any HPBC officer, as necessary.

Fedup  
#7 Posted : 01 June 2009 20:30:03(UTC)
Fedup

Thank you all so much for your help with this. I have just passed on all the advice over to my friend, and she is going to phone both Paul Mellor and Hannah tomorrow.

I will keep you informed as to the outcome.

Many thanks.
Over the hill but not far away  
#8 Posted : 01 June 2009 20:40:53(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

Fedup

I hope this matter is swiftly resolved before this Lady's summer is ruined.  You have been excellently advised but please keep us informed if he continues this totaly unacceptable behaviour after he has been visited-sometimes all it takes is a quiet word from a sympathetic resident of his own age

Cheers

Fedup  
#9 Posted : 03 June 2009 16:45:07(UTC)
Fedup

OTHBNFA

Understood!!! Thanks.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#10 Posted : 14 July 2009 12:56:30(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Fedup,

I have been thinking of your friend’s situation off and on for the past few weeks and have been waiting for an update from you.

Well I can wait no longer. How are things going and what progress if any has been made?

Does the advice from ‘Over the Hill’ need to be taken on board?

This is something we should all be aware about and very concerned about.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#11 Posted : 16 July 2009 20:05:12(UTC)
Fedup

Good evening to you R.S.-S and my sincere apologies for this rather late reply to your query. Bit under the weather just lately.

However, to answer your question, really nothing has moved very fast. My friend has contacted Hannah Cocker, as advised by JohnP, who has advised that some sort of contract is to be drawn up and signed by both the Awful Neighbour and my friend, but as yet no sign of this. I'm afraid I am slightly bewildered as to what this may achieve, particularly as one is dealing with someone with no respect for anybody, but then I am not an expert, so what do I know.

I have passed Paul Mellor's name on to my friend, but now she has contacted Hannah, she feels she should not contact anyone else for the time being (!!) and I really cannot force her to do so.

Meanwhile, the situation remains the same.

Thank you for your kind enquiry.

Edited by moderator 17 July 2009 02:25:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#12 Posted : 16 July 2009 21:42:02(UTC)
Gnatalee

Fed-up

Pardon me for butting-in but this latest development needs reporting to the Police. This guy is escalating his game by harrassing and intimidating your friend and he needs "leaning on" by the powers that be !!

Can't see what a contract will solve as he obviously has no intention of mending his ways.

Good luck to your friend, she must find it really depressing.

Gnats

Edited by user 16 July 2009 21:42:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#13 Posted : 16 July 2009 22:05:25(UTC)
Fedup

Unfortunately Gnats, she has tried the Police, who say that it is just her word against his - and he denies everything!
Gnatalee  
#14 Posted : 16 July 2009 22:43:11(UTC)
Gnatalee

Charming !! Does that mean they haven't even attempted to sort the situation out? If he is intimidating her then they should be doing something about it and if they aren't then they aren't doing their job. Are any of her other neighbours aware of any problems? Perhaps they could keep an eye open for her when she goes out with the dog and if they witness anything untoward they can support her in her complaint.

Neighbour disputes can be very difficult but this sounds like it needs sorting out now before it gets out of hand.

Gnats

Edited by user 16 July 2009 22:44:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG  
#15 Posted : 17 July 2009 01:29:05(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

With respect to Fedup's post,(and not Gnatalees understandable sympathetic reply) you will be aware that this is a very sensitive issue , and I'm very uncomfortable with it becoming a 'running' forum thread. . I think we should take the personal part of this problem off-line and deal with it through other channels, which is why I have deleted parts of Fedup's most recent post. The person who has the actual problem may not wish to be discussed in this way. I am very happy that good advice has been provided via the use of this forum, and it appears that this has been passed on and that the wheels are now turning, although obviously not fast enough. Fedup, can I ask that you take this off-line and talk to either John Pritchard,myself, or others of your choice on the council who will be able to help. I will be contacting you outside this forum to this effect. The situation is obviously completely wrong and needs resolving quickly, and we can provide contacts and badger people futher to ensure that the situation is resolved.  However , I dont think it's right to put the gritty detail of the problem on the forum for public view. I hope we might find a way to feedback the results of this to the forum, though that may not be possible due to the nature of this isssue. I hope people understand the sensitivity of all of this, and where I am coming from.

I am very disturbed to hear the misery your friend is still enduring and will do all that  I can to help her. John Pritchard is an HPBC councillor as well as a Whaley Town Councillor  and has a vast array of contacts . He has already offered good advice which your friend has followed, but your friend clearly needs additional support. I will talk  with JP and see if there is anything more we can do which can move things forward.

Jon.

Edited by user 17 July 2009 03:07:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Web Watcher  
#16 Posted : 17 July 2009 08:52:53(UTC)
Web Watcher

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Cllr Jon I think you are correct and this is not a subject for public debate. I hope that a solution is found but having directed the person to the appropiate contact the situation should now be discussed in terms of positive (and hopefully not negative) progress and the finer details are certainly not needed as this well in no way help the process which is on-going.
I suspect that R-S-S was asking how things were going with the best of intentions.

Edited by user 17 July 2009 08:54:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bob Bowker  
#17 Posted : 17 July 2009 09:37:08(UTC)
Bob Bowker

I do think that the ongoing of this subject should be shown. The identities of persons involved are not published and many of us would like to know the mechanics of dealing with what is a very common problem these days and finding out the outcome. Lots of people have neighbour problems and don't know what action they can take. Most are feared of retribution and intimidation.
At least the injured party in this can see that by way of this site she has moral support.
The Forum is getting a bit namby pamby and that is perhaps why there are so many less subscribers to this new format than the old one.
High Peak Harry  
#18 Posted : 17 July 2009 09:37:42(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Surely the forum is here for people to ask for advice and not be subject to censorship/editting to suit politicians. As long as posts are neither libellous or defamatory then why do posts have to be deleted etc. When more information is circulated about someone's anti-social activities via this forum surely that is a good thing, is it not?

This forum is the 21st century version of the stocks and if people can be shamed into improving their behaviour for all right minded citizens then let's carry on. There is much talk of people's human rights when being 'punished' for offences. What about the victim's rights? Whilst I would stop short of advocating violence towards miscreants, if they were to become social pariahs then society is the winner.

Of course these are merely the observations of a deluded idiot.
Horwich Ender  
#19 Posted : 17 July 2009 17:06:36(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Here we go again! Another example of a local councillor deleting part of a thread because they are not happy with the content.

Surely this can't be tolerated on a community forum which can be used by anybody and encourages open discussions on any topics relating to Whaley Bridge.

Where will it end?

The fact is that censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates, in the end, the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion.

By the way Fedup, have you now got a shotgun?

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#20 Posted : 17 July 2009 17:22:50(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A very good afternoon to you Web Watcher,

You are quite correct, Sir, I made the enquiry of FedUp simply because he had brought to our attention a situation that I found to be totally unacceptable. I would hate to have thought that any of my family was being subjected to that sort of behaviour. We had not heard any thing about the situation from FedUp for a few weeks and I enquired hoping it had been sorted. Apparently not so.

Cllr JonG has been very helpful and kind to me but I do not agree with him in this case on several matters.

This is an intolerable situation and obviously serious enough for FedUp to ask for advice and assistance. Good for you FedUp.
But now your update has been censored. I don’t believe this should have happened; no names or locations have been given out and I would imagine that the lady has been glad of the results so far obtained through this forum by FedUp.
Jon you say you will be contacting FedUp outside of the forum. Can you let us know if you actually know FedUp’s identity or is this to become a feature of the forum whereby the administrators can obtain an individual’s email address and then contact them for whatever reason?
I am fairly confident that FedUp’s email address will not start with the name FedUp but more like ‘BillyBloggs@aol.com; so you will instantly have his identity and he may well have a very good reason for not wanting a Councillor to know that identity.
Can you let us know if the administrators regularly and routinely check our email addresses?

I do agree with Web Watcher that the finer details do not need to be aired but I believe we should be kept informed of a situation such as this and that is far better than having it behind closed doors or swept under the carpet.
If that were the case how would we know if this lady is being cared for and looked out for by the appropriate people? We should also be informed as to who is and who isn’t doing their jobs in this sorry affair. We need to know whether the police are doing anything and how active have the Council been in its support.

R. S-S