logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CllrJonG  
#1 Posted : 30 December 2010 11:13:17(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

The conservation area in whaley Bridge is shown in the attached map.

In another topic, 'Davethescope' asks

"What exactly are we trying to "conserve" in Whaley? Much as I love the place I could never claim that it is an architectural gem. Market Street is just another nondescript high street such as you can see in thousands of small towns, hardly worth preserving in aspic."

It's a good question, and one which people may have views on. I for one am very keen to try and update some of the non-descript frontages and decoration that we see in the town today and try to recover some of the historic character of the village. That's not to say I want to see a return to exactly how it was in say 1860, because it wasn't all neccessarily great then. However, I think that sypathetic colour schemes and some thought by shop owners as they renovate within the conservation area can go a long way towards changing Davethescopes view of Whaley Bridge, which is a good indication of how others driving through Whaley might see the village.

I dont want our town centre to be nondescript, and if we want to change this view and make the place more interesting and vibrant , and draw people in, then I think it can be the little things that can add up to help this. This is why i am always keen to see use of correct materials and sympathetic  colours as buildings in the centre of whaley are renovated, retention of original windows,  and why I think that having a conservation area  is important, as it enables stricter planning controls over development in this area.  I think there is a 'neglected 60's' look about some of the shop fronts which could be addressed as the owners think about redecorating, and which could help to rejuvinate the towns image if they redecorated and renovated sympathetically to fit in with a  more common plan.  The purpose of the conservation area and of the supplementary planning guidance from HPBC (attached) is to try and retain and recover character and improve Whaley as we go forward, rather than allowing a mishmash of random development. Unfortunately it doesn't always seem to be followed voluntarily, and enforcement when there are clear transgressions takes considerable time.  

I appreciate that doing a good job can cost additional money, and often the easiest cheapest route is preferred. However, if we can make the centre more attractive and inviting, then more customers will come and the outlay can be recovered. There may not actually be a great deal of difference in cost  between painting a building one colour or another, but the impact it can have by painting it sympathetically can add a huge amount to the attractiveness and vibrancy of the centre.

There are some very good examples in Whaley Bridge of how shop fronts can look when some time and thought is applied. Jarva, the art shop is a really good example, as is Gascoigns the estate agents, Footsteps, No 29(while open), The Railway pub, and Bellas. I think we all know which frontages are poor.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 30 December 2010 11:26:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Design_Guidance_for_Shopfronts.pdf (1,794kb) downloaded 24 time(s).
Design_Guidance_for_Signs.pdf (1,652kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
WhaleyBridgeCAmap.pdf (369kb) downloaded 47 time(s).
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
barrwalk  
#2 Posted : 30 December 2010 13:22:56(UTC)
barrwalk

Groups: Member
Man

A good topic JonG but you must admit we have been here before. That is why Bellas now has a traditional frontage. It was supported by public funds.

The flower shop at The Whaley Wharf refused financial assistance to have a traditional frontage when they first bought the premises. These buildings at The Wharf (the Town's main heritage site) were sold by British Waterways and my perception is that no interest at all was shown by anyone on Whaley Bridge Town or High Peak Borough Council. No vision!

There is little power, if any, to compel shopowners to conform to an acceptable standard i.e. in keeping with a conservation area.

Now that High Peak Borough Council have abandoned any support for their local Regeneration Committee's there is even less hope. I suspect it did not go down too well when WB Regen. Cttee. gave £11k to the 'millionaire' the companies Network Rail and British Waterways. This could and should have been better spent within Whaley Bridge to directly benefit the Town. Providing a 'Gateway to Bugsworth Basin' (quote from a  WBTC pamphlet) did little of direct benefit and the same applies to the money given to Network Rail.

The first challenge is to get all members of WBTC singing from the same hymn sheet and not being led astray into peripheral 'benefits'.

All the portals into W.B. could have been upgraded with such monies and yet now we are holding out the begging bowl. There has been no progress in three years at Cotton Close Chapel Road junction.

There is a new thought to reinstate a local Regen. Cttee. I see in the press. Let's hope that there is a change of chair of this new committee and members are restricted to W.B. residents and W.B. business people. We need new thinking.

That's the big challenge! You alone, from the 12, seem to able to respond to JonG. It is only you who seems to have any notion of pragmatic solutions and any achievable vision of a W.B. in, say, 2015 or 2020.

Some of us did, but our vision has been smashed by our so-called elected representatives and as I have said before, in other threads on this Forum, the opportunity of a life time (The Transhipment Warehouse and Whaley Wharf) has been sent down the plughole by those who should know better.

Edited by user 30 December 2010 13:26:53(UTC)  | Reason: typos and spelling

Horwich Ender  
#3 Posted : 30 December 2010 14:25:55(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good afternoon CllrJonG

I am in total agreement with you and feel it is very important to retain and recover character to improve and enhance the appearance of Whaley.

With this in mind I would appreciate your comments on the following:

What is your opinion on the colour scheme of YoYo's?

What are your views on the luminous green sign above Footsteps?

How do you feel about the decision to demolish the old smoking shelter at the Shepherds Arms and replace it with the present structure?

CllrJonG  
#4 Posted : 30 December 2010 16:56:04(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi HE,

Personally, I dont like the colour, and I dont think it fits within the conservation area .

I believe an illuminated sign was outside Footsteps previously. However, looking at it , I have to say that if the sign colouring had been arranged to match the blues and creams of the rest of Footsteps, it would have fitted in a lot better. A small example perhaps of how a little more thought might have led to a more pleasent overall street scene at very little extra cost. Many people have probably never noticed it though, and to be fair there are slightly more glaring examples of 'colour' elsewhere. It all adds up though.(attached image courtesy of google street view)

The smoking shelter saga at the Sheps illustrates the problems that occur when unapproved structures are built within the conservation area. The original unaproved structure was rejected on appeal and had to be demolished. The brewery then went through the proper planning process and consequently erected the current shelter. I think the current one, which had some adjustments to height, line and materials is a really nice structure. If the brewery had taken the right approach initially, then the resulting saga would probably not have occurred. Many would say that the old structure and new structure are not that different, but I think the lesson is that if people disregard planning obligations and build regardless, they are unlikely to be viewed leniantly or supported by either WBTC or HPBC when it comes to appeal.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 30 December 2010 17:38:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG attached the following image(s):
footsteps.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Horwich Ender  
#5 Posted : 31 December 2010 15:33:57(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon CllrJonG

Thank you for your prompt response and comments.

I do agree with most of what you say and I don't understand why there is the need for a luminous green sign to be in the centre of the village outside Footsteps.

Another sign that has been subject to lengthy debate on this forum is the Orange Fish on the chippy in Furness Vale. Whilst the Fish on a Bed of Chips sign is not the most attractive of signs I can understand why the owners have erected it because it shows passing traffic of the existence of the chippy which is open when the sign is lit up. It is probable that by erecting the sign this has increased trade for the fish and chip shop. The same can't be said of the Footsteps sign.

The items on the sign over Footsteps are somewhat cryptic and there is no way passing traffic could identify what the sign is and how it relates to Footsteps. I was told the sign was some sort of masonic message but I have been unable to verify this.

CllrJonG, the easiest way you could improve the appearance of Whaley is to ask Footsteps to remove the hideous green sign and ask Yo Yo's to paint the outside of the shop in a more appropriate colour.

I have no reason to believe they would not be sympathetic to your requests and perhaps you could inform the forum members of their responses once you have received them.

Horwich Ender  
#6 Posted : 05 March 2011 20:36:24(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good Evening CllrJonG

I appreciate you are a very busy person but I noticed you have just posted under another topic and therefore must be around at the moment.

I believe Jenks Burgess Opticians have received a planning enforcement notice for their shop front to be removed and I was wondering what response you received from Footsteps regarding their hideous green sign and Yo Yo's about the colour of their paintwork.

Please could you update us on the current position with Footsteps, Yo Yo's and Jenks Burgess.

davethescope  
#7 Posted : 05 March 2011 22:22:19(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I am no longer a religious person but I did once go to Sunday School and remember the lesson about motes and planks in the eye. And the plank is the shambolic mess which greets a visitor to Whaley Bridge when he steps off the train. An abandoned building project at the Jodrell Arms surrounded by dilapidated fencing: piles of rubbish: a sad porta-cabin: dangerously uneven cobbles.

Yet you are worrying about the motes that are the colour of the sign at Footsteps or the shade of paint used at a Chinese restaurant. Shame on you. Footsteps is a marvellous place, a tribute to the hard work of a lot of dedicated people, and a great asset to the village. But you would close it down because you don't like the shade of Green used on the sign. Pshaw!! And we have few enough of the "ethnic minorities" in the village without trying to drive them out over trivia

Whaley Bridge is a living town, evolving to cope with the changes that the new century has brought. You cannot preserve its appearance at a moment in time in the 1950s (or 1880s for the railway). Councillor: please devote you energy to addressing the real issues facing the village (as you did this morning at Tescoe's)

Edited by user 05 March 2011 22:26:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
G. Jackson  
#8 Posted : 06 March 2011 04:49:15(UTC)
G. Jackson

I agree with davethescope (apart from the e in Tescoe's). Well said!

Whaley Wanderer  
#9 Posted : 06 March 2011 09:27:09(UTC)
Whaley Wanderer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Well I think footsteps does amazing work BUT it still has a tacky sign outside.  And how the new takeaway (nice as it is)got away with  the hideous orange colour in a conversation area................. wish every shop.cafe etc showed the classiness of Jarva's shop frontage. We have lovely little town but our first impressions could be better.

Horwich Ender  
#10 Posted : 06 March 2011 16:19:42(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon davethescope.

Please could you tell us:

Who wants to close Footsteps down because they don't like the shade of green used on the sign?

Who is trying to drive out the “ethnic minorities” from the Chinese restaurant?

davethescope  
#11 Posted : 06 March 2011 17:00:05(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Horwich Ender wrote:

Good afternoon davethescope.

Please could you tell us:

Who wants to close Footsteps down because they don't like the shade of green used on the sign?

Who is trying to drive out the “ethnic minorities” from the Chinese restaurant?

I assumed that the Council has the authority to close these premises if they don't conform with the Council's planning requirement? Nagging away at people over trivialities is a sure way to get them to pack their traps and move on.

When you have finished tut-tutting about the exact shade of Orange used by Yo-Yo's you should spin on you heels and take a good look at the Coop. That bilious green signage is far and away the worst colour on the street. And the great advertising billboards with which they have replaced their windows are far tackier than anything at Footsteps. And all approved by the council?

And if all the shops used the plywood mock Georgian fronts as Jarva and the estate agents the effect would be ludicrous. Variety adds spice to life

Edited by user 06 March 2011 17:04:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Horwich Ender  
#12 Posted : 07 March 2011 20:11:44(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening davethescope.

I do not understand why Footsteps or Yo Yo's would have to shut down if the external appearance of their properties were improved.

I agree with CllrJonG when he says it is the little things that can add up to make Whaley a more interesting, vibrant and attractive village and I was merely suggesting that he asks Footsteps whether they would consider removing their sign and also ask Yo Yo's whether they would consider painting their woodwork a more appropriate colour. In no way was I suggesting either venture should be closed down.

As for your comments regarding The Jodrell and Station Approach I totally agree with you.

I am guessing you had consumed alcohol on the day you made your initial post and I would suggest that when G. Jackson starts agreeing with you, you should take time to reflect and reconsider your comments because if Mad Jacko is in agreement, you will probably find what you have said is not too far away from nonsense.

davethescope  
#13 Posted : 07 March 2011 20:58:17(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Horwich Ender wrote:

I do not understand why Footsteps or Yo Yo's would have to shut down if the external appearance of their properties were improved.

I didn't say that they would have to shut down if they were forced to change the appearance of their shop fronts. (And I use the word change, rather than improve, advisable because whether it would be an improvement is a matter of opinion. What you consider tasteless might well be extremely tasteful to less parochial taste.) No, what I said was that imposing petty little restriction and forcing them to confirm to your idea of good design is not the way to encourage businesses to set up in the town. Whist I personally consider the design of the Coop frontage to be an abomination I am more than prepared to tolerate it if that is the only way we can have an alternative to the dreaded Tesco (whose architecture is hardly consistent with its location on as SSI)

Quote:

Mad Jacko is in agreement, you will probably find what you have said is not too far away from nonsense.

That fact that you consider Mr Jackson's carefully considered agreement with me to be a sign of madness casts great doubt on the working of your own mind. And, as an out of towner, what right have you to criticise us here in Whaley :-)