logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RockBanker  
#21 Posted : 21 January 2011 09:59:51(UTC)
RockBanker

Groups: Member
Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Many thanks RSS

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
Green_Gentleman  
#22 Posted : 21 January 2011 13:49:43(UTC)
Green_Gentleman

I managed to get down to the Horwich End (now confirmed) Air Raid Shelter. Sadly as mentioned previously the site access has been bricked up (likely filled in too) due to H&S reasons, but the relic is still evident. There was origionally two access points into the Shelter, one on either side for quick exit/entry aswell as small ventilation holes being just visible if you know where to look, I hazard a guess the Shelter would have gone as possibly far in as Old Road, given the populus and extravagant steps leading to it.

">

Green_Gentleman attached the following image(s):
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
Over the hill but not far away  
#23 Posted : 21 January 2011 23:21:49(UTC)

It would seem that Whaley would have been a good place to sit out the war from a non conscripts point of view. No chance of German lessons in local schools- up to Windgather to view the Manchester and Liverpool bombings-Not within JU87B range and plenty of fresh local chinley lamb.

The RAF thought Derbyshire safe enough to house their main ordnance dumps in Buxton Quarries and a "secret" aviation fuel dump in Dove Holes.

No wonder we can find no evidence of  local fortifications, which were for obvious reasons concentrated in the SE and E of the country.

No one in town seems to remember a local home guard or ARP warden or a siren on top of the Mechanics or yards of black fabric being sold by the co-op for blackout curtains or American jeeps turning up with yanks throwing gum and nylons out to girls (who made their frocks out of parachute silk from shot down german fighter pilots or those that ran out of fuel over Disley) that worked at the bleach works and were invited  to dances at the Jodrell on a Saturday night and doing the jitterbug.

Perhaps someone of a certain age could give us a realistic appraisal.

In the late 70's, early 80's I also thought Whaley not a bad place to escape but view (from Windgather or the Highwayman) the threatened cold war apocalypse ( before the Russians owned half of London, bought Chelsea FC and we all became tovarisch)

Cheers

PS-has anyone read 'Hitler,my part in his downfall' by Spike.

Edited by user 22 January 2011 21:14:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

buggyite  
#24 Posted : 22 January 2011 00:13:50(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

One page 1 of this thread, R.S-S posted a photo of bomb damage in Hayfield.

I wasn't too sure where it was, so i remembered to ask my dad earlier this evening.

It is at Watery Eye, or thats the name we always gave it, but it now seems to be known as Spring Vale Road.

The link below goes to the present-day view on Google Street View...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Hayfield,+High+Peak&aq=0&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.123167,28.256836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Hayfield,+High+Peak,+Derbyshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.378324,-1.941715&spn=0.002739,0.006899&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.378382,-1.941812&panoid=idJyjbqjC6ylxQNUdMy0Zg&cbp=12,126.39,,0,3.74

Incidentally, R.S-S, we had a "ginny-geddle" in Hayfield, which must be a bit like your giddle-gaddle in Whaley!

Edited by user 22 January 2011 00:16:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
#25 Posted : 22 January 2011 21:45:57(UTC)

Today, whilst visiting the flea market at Leek I per chanced upon a book entitled "Staffordshire the war years" in it was advice about how to entrap a German tank ( should one make it this far north)-which I hasten to add was compared to an elephant (stop the first one and the others will be in disarray )- must have been written by an officer with experience of tiger shooting in India.

V1's were of course the "doodlebug" which had a limited range, although some were air launched and were alleged (by at least one resident I have spoken to)  to have reached Buxton - one definatley reached Oldham.  Hear one here.

http://www.flyingbombsandrockets.com/V1_into.html

V2's were the more sinister liquid Oxygen fuelled rocket that led to it's inventors being given US citizenship in some dodgy deal which lead to the USA getting one up on Yuri Gagarin (who unfortunatley died, like Gary Powers , the U2 pilot, who just happened to run out of fuel)

It was then detailed how to construct this trap.  This reminds me of how we were all given home office advice on TV in 1979 to remove a door from it's hinges and place it on a table top to ensure the safety of our families cowering underneath whilst Tupolov bombers unleashed their deadly cargo's over the Hacienda night club in Manchester where Joy division where performing.  A little later the USSR would invade Afghanistan and we would learn that they didn't have even the resources to do that or feed their own people let alone take over the Western world.

Little has changed , we are still sending young people to foreign lands for dubious political reasons.  And we will end up drinking mint tea, smoking the pipe and eating the sheeps eye in their tents.

That's quite enough cynicism for one night

Cheers

Maybe a new thread is needed "Whaley the cold war years" where are the "Rotor" stations that monitored USSR  bombers probing our airspace--truth is they were all in the East of the UK for the same reasons.

._  ._.

Edited by user 23 January 2011 08:56:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Flannel  
#26 Posted : 23 January 2011 10:43:20(UTC)
Flannel

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The website: http://www.subbrit.org.uk/ until recently had a list of the Royal Observer Corps posts which covered the whole of Britain. It seems to have now changed into a bookshop selling photos of cold war history, but they used to be on the website, Lets hope the whaley bridge forum isn't going that way,

There was one of their nuclear bunker observation posts near Buxton Tip, http://www.subbrit.org.uk/location/derbyshire , which is now privately owned and also one on the side of Eccles Pike although no sign of it remains. Until the 1990s these were apparently permanently staffed with people waiting for the bomb to fall, who would then phone in with their last remaining hours of battery life and tell HQ if the bomb had landed close to them. I am not sure how they filled the rest of their time, I would love to hear from somebody who had done this job, I think some of them were volunteers.

Edited by user 23 January 2011 10:59:38(UTC)  | Reason: http link failed

umtali  
#27 Posted : 23 January 2011 11:59:18(UTC)

Groups: Guest

buggyite wrote:

One page 1 of this thread, R.S-S posted a photo of bomb damage in Hayfield.

I wasn't too sure where it was, so i remembered to ask my dad earlier this evening.

These simple words have thrown my mind into a complete sate of confusion. For a year or so having never met “buggyite” my mind has harboured a vision of a grumpy old pensioner sitting on a bench topped with a cloud of fumes from rubbing oils. (Much like myself).

And now I find we are worlds apart – no wonder we don’t get on,

I have now updated my perspective hopefully for the better.

G. Jackson  
#28 Posted : 23 January 2011 13:36:18(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear OTHBNFA  I too read the leaflet  "How to Survive" by the 1970's government. For the last 40 odd years I have been sleeping inder the two doors leaning against the wall at about 60 degrees to the vertical. I feel safe and sound all night and with the windows all covered up with whitewash I'm protected against the flash if a bomb drops nearby. At night I usually read "When the Wind Blows" by Raymond Briggs just to get the real insight of the destruction the Ruskies can inflict.  Does anyone have a protractor?

Yuri Gagarin died in a plane crash when his co-pilot and him argued which should jettison first, whilst they argued, they crashed. See the book "Starman, the life and death of Yuri Gagarin." by Piers Bizony and Jamie Duram.

Edited by user 23 January 2011 13:38:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#29 Posted : 23 January 2011 13:40:09(UTC)
G. Jackson

The "nuclear bunker" on the top of Eccles Pike is only a small hole, used by the Royal Observation Corps. in case of any emergency. They are, or used to be, tested at least once a year. There were thousands of them all over the country, and were used with local police, fire and hospital  departments presumably to take over if the telephone system crashed. I was on the Pike one day years ago when a man from the Post Office ( or telephones) was testing it. I presume they are obsolete now.

Edited by user 23 January 2011 13:49:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tarboat  
#30 Posted : 23 January 2011 18:02:18(UTC)
tarboat

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/Page221.htm explains the Royal Observer Corps posts and their function. They manned by three people and their role was to provide information back to their HQ on nuclear explosions and fallout in the case of an attack. The Chinley Post was closed in October 1968 after a life of only 8 years. It has subsequently been demolished.

#31 Posted : 27 January 2011 23:50:22(UTC)

I spent much of my youth being taken on tours of british resistance hideouts and later "secret underground bunkers" from where Soviet bomber incursions where monitored.

I then spent time as a slightly older youth learning how to survive the apocolypse.  G Jackson obviously has some knowledge of this when he refers to a protractor.

We were ordered in the event of a nuclear strike to :

Count the flash to bang time-this would allow those privilaged enough to be  entrenched in 30 feet of concrete to estimate the distance ( assuming the field telephones would work in the mother of all electromagnetic fields)

We were then to keep our heads down whilst the atomic wind passed over our heads.----but dont pop your head up now because the wind would return as all of humanity would be sucked back into the epicentre and take your head off.

Now is the time to pop your head up and observe the mushroom cloud-simply remain calm and use your prismatic compass to take a bearing on the mushroom and report back to HQ.

Then have your personal dosimeter read , only they wont tell you if your going to die cause it's bad for morale

Cheers

Edited by user 28 January 2011 22:49:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#32 Posted : 28 January 2011 11:57:01(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear OTHBNFA you forgot the bit about putting your head between your knees and  kissing..............................

#33 Posted : 28 January 2011 22:47:36(UTC)

Actually GJ and I fear you are trying to take my crown as cynicas maximus,  I hadn't forgot that excellent and most appropriate advice -I just thought it inappropriate to mention it  in the history section (even after the watershed). :)    And even when my ageing frame was more supple would have found it most difficult to follow the procedure not mentioned in the HMG guide book on post apocalyptic survival.

I can confirm after information received today that the "secret"aviation fuel dump in Dove Holes was where Horseshoe Avenue is today and that there is also a pipe line branch that fed into probably the ring main that is accessed at Woodford and  is still  in use today but now carrying petrol at nearly six quid a gallon.

Cheers

Edited by user 28 January 2011 23:16:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#34 Posted : 29 January 2011 10:18:22(UTC)
G. Jackson

I went into the secret oil pipeline pumping station about 45 years ago. I had to be  "vetted" before I was admitted and searched for matches etc. There were massive pipes to and from various parts of the country. The guy in charge said they moved oil, petrol in various grades and paraffin etc. from point to point with big pumps. I asked how they seperated these fluids and the man said with a big plug of water which acted as an isolator between different oils. Believe it or not there were NO SMOKING notices everywhere. I never saw a petrol dump but there may have been one. I think this may be a misnomer.

Edited by user 29 January 2011 10:18:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#35 Posted : 29 January 2011 14:29:09(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Over the hill but not far away wrote:

I can confirm after information received today that the "secret"aviation fuel dump in Dove Holes was where Horseshoe Avenue is today and that there is also a pipe line branch that fed into probably the ring main that is accessed at Woodford and  is still  in use today but now carrying petrol at nearly six quid a gallon.

Cheers

Hello, OTHBNFA,

I thought I remembered the Dove Holes petrol dump very well but how time affects your memory.

What I could remember for sure were the 3 large grass mounds with steps up to the top of each one. The whole area was protected by very tall black railings the gates were about at the place where you turn into Horseshoe Avenue. I never saw anyone go in or out of the site.

Once out on a bike ride from Dove Holes to Peak Dale we turned off opposite the concrete plant and went to the top of that hill and there below was an identical petrol dump with 3 large grass mounds.

The grass mounds were there to camouflage the massive petrol tanks beneath.

Only recently a friend showed me an aerial photograph of the site which was taken in the 1950’s and when I looked at it the memories came flooding back.

There were a lot of railway tracks from the Manchester to Buxton line going into the petrol dump and there were dozens of railway tankers waiting to discharge their fuel into the massive storage tanks.
From what I understand all the fuel was pumped down to the dump off Dale Road and from there to all parts of the country.
I’ll try and borrow the photo and put a copy on here. It is worth seeing.

A few weeks ago I was talking to a lady from Dove Holes who is married to an old schoolmate of mine and I asked her if she had any old photos of the petrol dump. She hadn’t but she told me the following tale:

When the site was being decommissioned in readiness for the housing project one of the security men was near the gate and her husband said to him that although he had lived in Dove all his life he had never been inside.
The security guard said it was OK for him to come in and have a look round.
He took him into a building that had large stone steps going down beneath the site.
They went down a long way and eventually came out into a large tunnel. It was large enough for lorries to run up and down and it went under the A6 and under Dale Road and eventually came out at the Dale Road petrol dump. There was all sorts of storage areas and such like in the tunnel.

Well that’s the story anyway.

R. S-S
JohnMacc  
#36 Posted : 17 April 2011 17:47:27(UTC)
JohnMacc

R S-S,

Did you locate the photograph? It would be very interesting to see. The second fuel storage site was in the quarry off Dale Road - it's the one between Dale Road and Wibbersley Farm. On Google maps you can quite clearly see where some of the tanks are buried - vent pipes are visible in the green area on the quarry floor.

It's also possible to find some of the route of the pipeline that ran up to the depots from Chapel Milton. There are route marker posts in Chapel, along the Blackbrook Road to Sparrowpit and near the road bridge over the Peak Forest Tramway on the approach to Dove Holes. I haven't found all of the route yet so let me know if anyone fancies a spot of exploring!

umtali  
#37 Posted : 19 April 2011 07:59:41(UTC)

Groups: Guest

I can pinpoint the oil pipeline location exactly in Furness Vale because it ran through the bottom of our garden (Underground of course) in the 70s – 80s I resided at the top end of Park Crescent in a bungalow, which I purchased from the Rowbotham's, former owners of the mill that is now known as Chalkers.

There was some documentation with the deeds relating to the pipeline and we did from time to time received official letters reminding us of our responsibilities, On one occasion I did attempt to take a look at it, after a couple of feet down I encountered a large concrete block and thought it best to cancel the idea,

The markers were and perhaps still are two white posts about 4ft high same distance between them with a white cross bar about 8” deep, a sort of H formation There was one at the top end of the football field, and have also noted one near Buxworth.

I could insert my former exact address but we may have terrorists in the area who knows?
zephyr4  
#38 Posted : 16 May 2011 16:51:32(UTC)
zephyr4

I came across this article the other day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/33/a5609333.shtml

zephyr4  
#39 Posted : 16 May 2011 16:59:43(UTC)
zephyr4

umtali wrote:
I could insert my former exact address but we may have terrorists in the area who knows?

Its all on the net pipeline\bunkers even Furness Vale.

http://www.secret-bases.co.uk/     go to part 3 and click on show all.

Edited by user 16 May 2011 17:15:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified