logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MrTrueman  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2010 11:30:42(UTC)
MrTrueman

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Whilst it is great to show other forum members photos of people and places around Whaley Bridge, I would just like to make the following suggestions in order to make the viewing experience more pleasurable for ALL forum users.

Please try to add some form of descriptive content or reference to the uploaded photo.  Just adding a photo and expecting the viewer to guess is not always desirable especially with multiple images in a thread.   Just a simple when and where taken can help but the more information the better.  This is a discussion forum after all!

Not everybody who reads this forum has super-fast broadband so please try to resize your images with size in mind as loading threads with large pictures can be troublesome on slow connections.

Please be aware that Whaley Bridge is a small community and people don’t always appreciate photos of themselves or property being posted (Even if the law states otherwise) so please bear this in mind when posting such photographs.

Regards,

Mr Trueman

Whaleybridge.com Volunteer

Whaley Bridge website needs your help. Please email us your local news and events.
http://www.whaleybridge.com/contact/

Please support our local Computer Company, Trusted IT they provide this forum for all to use.
http://www.trustedit.co.uk
Web Watcher  
#2 Posted : 24 July 2010 10:25:43(UTC)
Web Watcher

Groups: Member

With regard o your paragraph:

"Please be aware that Whaley Bridge is a small community and people don’t always appreciate photos of themselves or property being posted (Even if the law states otherwise) so please bear this in mind when posting such photographs."

Just out of interest - if a photo was posted on the forum which I happened to be in could I request for it to be removed? It's not happened thus far (and I have nothing to hide) but with the increasing number of photos being uploaded the chances increase.

Thank you for your time I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter

Web Watcher

Edited by user 24 July 2010 10:26:49(UTC)  | Reason: Increase font size

thanks 1 user thanked Web Watcher for this useful post.
Whaley End on 23/02/2013(UTC)
MrTrueman  
#3 Posted : 24 July 2010 13:09:19(UTC)
MrTrueman

Groups: Administration

Web Watcher wrote:
Just out of interest - if a photo was posted on the forum which I happened to be in could I request for it to be removed? 

Yes of course.

Regards,

Mr Trueman

Whaleybridge.com Volunteer

Whaley Bridge website needs your help. Please email us your local news and events.
http://www.whaleybridge.com/contact/

Please support our local Computer Company, Trusted IT they provide this forum for all to use.
http://www.trustedit.co.uk
Web Watcher  
#4 Posted : 24 July 2010 17:02:43(UTC)
Web Watcher

Thank you
buggyite  
#5 Posted : 21 August 2010 16:36:22(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

As this is a "sticky" thread, would it be possible to put in here some assorted guidance notes about photos that have been discussed on various other threads in the past.

1.  I know that JonG's "Simple User Guide" pdf talks about limiting size to less than 300x300 pixels, but this seems to be incorrect now, as various people have posted photos that are wider than most browsers will display without scrolling.  There was a thread where different sized copies of the same photo was used to determine an optimum width (about 880 pixels if I remember correctly)

So, is the thing that determines whether the photo goes inline or as an attachment a file size issue, rather than a pixels wide one?

Some definitive rules in here would help.

2.  I would appreciate guidance regarding posting photos found either in real books, or online elsewhere. Is it a no-no, or should there always be an acknowledgement of the source, or do I just post it and not worry at all?

If the "answers" to these points could be added to post 1, by the appropriate administrator, that would be excellent, as it will be the first one that anyone looks in.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#6 Posted : 21 August 2010 17:51:55(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good afternoon to you my friend, Buggyite,

This topic has been discussed many times before on this, once, marvellous forum.

Photographic records of Whaley, Fernilee, Buggy, Errwood or anywhere else for that matter, which were taken in black and white many years ago, and certainly by photographers who have by now gone to the Promised Land, are now here for us that are left to enjoy.

I feel that there is absolutely no chance of any of them coming back or issuing a writ for breach of copy write and anyway Beverley Macca (where is she by the way? She was a bit smutty, but I really liked her) placed an article about copy write and the chances of anything untoward happening are so remote that they are not even worth considering.

I have posted loads of photos that I have found on the internet and some that I have scanned from books; I intend to carry on in the same manner.

I also have a large collection of photos and postcards of this area and who is to stop me sharing them with anyone I want.
I am prepared to take the risk and in any case I am sure the original photographers would be more than pleased to see their work still being displayed.

R. S-S

Norm  
#7 Posted : 21 August 2010 18:02:38(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hello

Can I add that to respect the original photographer, and any people on the photograph, they should not be disfigured in any way.

Norm 

Edited by user 21 August 2010 18:04:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#8 Posted : 07 June 2011 21:21:05(UTC)
Norm

Man

If you have any photographs that you would like to see on the forum or website, and you cannot scan them, please look at this

http://www.whaleybridge.net/localhistory/photos.html

Norm

Edited by user 28 December 2011 19:00:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified