logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Adnepos  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2011 20:28:22(UTC)
Adnepos

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I have several photographs of my grandmother and of her parents in front of the cottages shown in the attached image.

The family lived in Fernilee, so I think the image represents a cottage there; but I don't know for sure...

Can anybody please help?

Adnepos attached the following image(s):
Fernilee_Cottages.jpg
thanks 1 user thanked Adnepos for this useful post.
David Nadin on 28/07/2015(UTC)
shallcross  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2011 23:22:46(UTC)
shallcross

Adnepos

Not an easy picture to identify you never know how much artistic licence has been used, I can tell you three quarters of the farms and cottages it isn't but if it is one that I have not seen an image of I have nothing to compare too, i would like to see a real photo of them stood outside if you wouldn't mind and a little larger if poss we should be able to tie it down easier if you post the names of your Great Grandparents and year of birth.

Stubbings Farm had a road outside and sat at a junction like in the picture but guesswork only i'm afraid Matthew Wilson and his family lived there in 1901 his wife Elizabeth was a Lowe before she Married 

The Farm below Stubbings was Masters farm the image is not Masters farm the Lomas family lived there

Shallcross
gritch  
#3 Posted : 06 July 2011 14:00:20(UTC)
gritch

Apologies if I'm muscling in on Adnepos' post ..........

but can anyone tell me where 'Higher Level',  was / is?

My gr x 2 grandfather (Arthur James Graham - Blacksmith) lived there in the 1891 census,

before being found at Bingswood in 1901.

The 1891 entry says Higher Level Whaley Bridge  in

parish of Fernilee (entire) in the town / village / hamlet of Fernilee. 

Next family but one on the census shows Peter Gould  Railway Inspector,

and his  family  - next to that entry says 'Clare Mont'.

.......great photos Adnepos by the way

Edited by user 06 July 2011 14:01:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#4 Posted : 06 July 2011 14:51:58(UTC)
G. Jackson

The top of Old Road roughly from New Horwich Road to the antique shop has always been referred to as The Top Level. I do not recall a "Higher Level".

Norm  
#5 Posted : 06 July 2011 17:23:45(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hi

These are the 3 photos adnepos has posted in #3. Could you maybe delete your versions adnepos? On my screen I only see a little part of your piccies at a time.

Norm attached the following image(s):
adnepos1c.jpg
adnepos2c.jpg
adnepos3c.jpg
Adnepos  
#6 Posted : 06 July 2011 21:04:25(UTC)
Adnepos

Had a 'walk' through Fernilee Civil Parish, 1901 (walked the census) and 'Upper Level' there fits with G. Jackson's proposal.

'Walking' further up the hill in the 1901 census, I came to Fernilee Hall and then Fernilee Cottages; in the first one was Sarah Lomas, the widowed mother of Sarah Raven (mother ill-fated George, living in the second cottage) and Elizabeth Nadin (living in the third cottage). Could the above pictures be of the cottages adjacent to Fernilee Hall?

Edited by user 06 July 2011 21:20:58(UTC)  | Reason: typos

Adnepos  
#7 Posted : 06 July 2011 21:20:25(UTC)
Adnepos

shallcross wrote:
...post the names of your Great Grandparents and year of birth.

In the above photos, Elizabeth Potter LOMAS (b 1853), her husband John William NADIN (b 1860) and daughter May NADIN (b 1894)

shallcross  
#8 Posted : 06 July 2011 22:19:35(UTC)
shallcross

Now I have seen the photo it is certainly Fernilee Cottages, your nearly right with the census reference Ravens lived in Fernilee Hall cottages, which are on the road below the Hall, Fernilee cottages  are split into two  the ones in the picture (once known as Arnfields Cottages) are on the old lane which goes round to Fernilee Hall Farm, and the old Fernilee Hall Farmhouse used to stand facing these (now demolished) the other Fernilee Cottages are on what was the old lane into Foulds Farm, anyway nice photographs of Fernilee History and real people, thanks for sharing them.

As for Higher Level you are both correct from half way up old road was refered to as higher level the one thing to remember when researching is that Fernilee starts at what was Goyt Mill and finishes at Moss House Farm high on the left as you drop into Buxton and  the boundary with Taxal Cheshire was the centre of the River Goyt.

Shallcross
gritch  
#9 Posted : 06 July 2011 22:54:38(UTC)
gritch

Thank you to all who answered my query #post3. I have a rough idea now.

What is now confusing me.... earlier tonight I found Arthur James Graham listed as

'Blackmith & Agricultural dealer' in Kelly's Directory 1895 in Chinley Bugsworth and Brownside!

Ah well........ the joys of research!

Laurence  
#10 Posted : 27 August 2011 20:47:16(UTC)
Laurence

Hi Adnespos

My wife and her brother now own the cottages which you have posted a picture of, they are basically little changed at the front and indeed look exactly as per the picture, they have been in the family since approx 1950, and we would be very interested in seeing any historical information, on Fernilee Cottages as featured from you, and from anyone else who has any information.

We look forward to yours and anyone elses postings about Fernilee Cottages.

Tony Edge  
#11 Posted : 31 August 2011 01:37:23(UTC)
Tony Edge

Hi Adnepos
Many thanks for the old photographs of Fernilee cottage.
I have many memories staying at the cottage in 1950 I was six years old
There was no electric, no water, and the toilet was a ses pit outside.

My Grandad Horsfield used to make cups of tea outside on a parafin stove.
I remember going to be bed with a night light candle in a saucer of water up a very winding
narrow staircase.

I was told by Aunt that the family have lived in the cottage for hundred of years.
My Aunty Ann had so many tales and could point out all the distant relatives and
grave stones at Fernilee Methodist Church.

Aunty Anns Grandmother used to wash her pans outside in a stone trough
near the style going over to the old Broklehurst farm the pipe of spring
water can still be seen behind the shrubs in front of the cottage.

Several years ago I tried to do some research on the cottages
and have pasted this that might be of interest including
photograph albums of the cottage
even a photograph of the old Brocklehurst farm viewed from the top of the Green

History of Fernilee Cottage
1960s Photo album
\
http://arthur-edge.com/fernilee/index.htm
Winter 2010 Photo Album
http://arthur-edge.com/f.../snow-jan-2010/index.htm
My Grandfather John Horsfield
John Horsfield & Collier Roots. http://arthur-edge.com/wedding/pages/WED1_png.htm
Gran Horsfield & the Collier’s
http://arthuredge.com/wedding/pages/WED21_png.htm

The formatting of the following document is not correct the forum does not allow rich text or word documents so parts of the text wrap round.
Daughter of Arthur Edge Anne Christine Capewell

Son of Arthur Edge Anthony A
Vera Edge wife of Arthur Edge 1951 Mineral Water Manufacturer 21 Westwood Avenue Timperley Cheshire.

Wife of John Horsefield Martha Ellen Horsefield 29 Brookfield Drive Timperley Cheshire

1937 to 1950 Wife of Osmond Jackson Lillie Jackson (Nee Collier) 120 Stockport Road Timperley Cheshire

Spinster
May Collier (Nee Collier)
120 Stockport Road
Timperley
Cheshire

Hanna Mary Collier (Died 1937) Thorndale, Shay Lane, Baguley, Cheshire. Winstone. Grove Lane, Timperley, Cheshire. Mother of Martha Ellen Horsefiel. Lillie Jackson & May Collier
1913 to 1928
George Lomas Farmer Bent Hall Kettleshulme

James Bennett Railway Official 118 Love Lane Heaton Norris Stockport

James Robert Collier (Died 1927)
Hospital Attendant
(Husband of Hanna Mary Collier)

George Bennett Retired Farmer White Cottage Fernilee

Tenant in respect of occupations
Potts and Heather Beard Boothby and Nadin

Tony
The following two photographs taken during wartime at Timperley Methodist Church.
Alan Collier, Lilly Collier, ????, May & Osmond Jackson.
--
Vera and John Horsfield.

Edited by user 01 September 2011 00:26:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tony Edge attached the following image(s):
colliers-alan-lilly-x-may-osmond-jackson.png
vera+john-horsfield.png
Tony Edge  
#12 Posted : 31 August 2011 13:58:11(UTC)
Tony Edge

Hello again Adnepos:

H O L I D A Y S - A T - F E R N I L E E.

Mum and Dad were fortunate in buying two cottages in the Goyt Valley Derbyshire after the death of Mums elderly relative. for £500 in 1951.

At the start of school summer holidays we would often travel with Dad to the Works.
leaving at 7.30am in the morning. Dad was kept very busy during the Summer.
On arrival in Manchester. We would wait for a bus to take us to Fernilee.
We must have looked quite a site Mum and my older sister Christine. Timmy our pet dog, A budgerigar in a cage, A Tortoise, a goldfish in a bowl, food, toys.

Dad would join us all late in the evening. Even in those days the A6 was quite busy the journey would take about one hour.
We spent many happy carefree days at Fernilee the small hamlet had many children.
The Broklehurst Farm adjacent was always buzzing with activity. With free horse rides
playing on the haystacks. Christine was very friendly with Margaret Brokelhurst..

I played with Christopher Townsend.
My cousins Wendy and Barbara Frankish would stay in the end cottage with my Grandad Horsfield and Grandma Horsfield. A good time was had by all.
My Uncle Alan Collier a teacher from Timperley made good friends with Alan Brocklehurst. During the early summer my Uncle would help with the sheep shearing he thoroughly enjoyed the different way of life on a farm.

My mum and loved the cottage.

Dad made good friends with the locals free boxes of pop was always well received.

We are fortunate Christine and myself still have the two cottages they were made into one cottage almost 30 years ago.
the end cottage Shaw Stile was owned by Ann Frankish married to Erik. (nee Ann Horsfield related to the Lomas family)
Erik died almost 15 years ago. Happiness returned years later Ann met Melville Carrott one of her child hood friends.

They sold Shaw Style and spent their final years in Penmemar in Wales.
Sadly the end cottage "Shaw Stile with so many memories cannot be passed down to the family.
More photographs can be seen on http://arthur-edge/com/fernilee

Edited by user 31 August 2011 23:53:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
cottage + Dad 1964.jpg (523kb) downloaded 53 time(s).
fernilee-cotts-1950s-750pixels.png (663kb) downloaded 70 time(s).
Adnepos  
#13 Posted : 31 August 2011 18:12:55(UTC)
Adnepos

Tony Edge wrote:
Hi Adnepos...

Daughter of Arthur Edge Anne Christine Capewell 1993 Son of Arthur Edge Anthony A Vera Edge wife of Arthur Edge 1951 Mineral Water Manufacturer 21 Westwood Avenue Timperley Cheshire. Wife of John Horsefield Martha Ellen Horsefield 29 Brookfield Drive Timperley Cheshire 1937 to 1950 Wife of Osmond Jackson Lillie Jackson (Nee Collier) 120 Stockport Road Timperley Cheshire Spinster May Collier (Nee Collier) 120 Stockport Road Timperley Cheshire 1928 Hanna Mary Collier (Died 1937) Thorndale, Shay Lane, Baguley, Cheshire. Winstone. Grove Lane, Timperley, Cheshire. Mother of Martha Ellen Horsefiel. Lillie Jackson & May Collier 1913 to 1928 George Lomas Farmer Bent Hall Kettleshulme James Bennett Railway Official 118 Love Lane Heaton Norris Stockport James Robert Collier (Died 1927) Hospital Attendant (Husband of Hanna Mary Collier) George Bennett Retired Farmer White Cottage Fernilee 1913 Tenant in respect of occupations Potts and Heather Beard Boothby and Nadin ---------------------------------------- Tony

Hannah Mary Collier (died 5 Feb 1937) would have been born Hannah Mary LOMAS

Harriet Ann Horsfield (died 24 Jan 1949) would have been born Harriet Ann LOMAS

They were sisters of Sarah Raven (nee Lomas), mother of George Raven who died in the explosion and of Elizabeth Potter Nadin (nee Lomas), who features in the pictures above.

Edited by user 04 September 2011 17:37:16(UTC)  | Reason: Typo