logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#1 Posted : 10 November 2011 20:17:59(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

The attached photo is courtesy of Francis Footitt of Furness Vale.  It is assumed to be Furness School but we are unsure.  If any members can help to identify the school. pupils or teacher it would be very helpful.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
FV-School-Group(F.jpg
parabuild  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2011 22:30:53(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Joanna Carr has provided the photograph below.   Furness Vale School C1937-39.  It must have been a hot summer judging by the headgear. Joanna's grandfather Colin Mycock is in the third row looking directly at the camera.

school-1937-1939comp.jpg
parabuild  
#3 Posted : 22 November 2011 09:49:12(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Dolly Ford has found a photograph taken at the same time as that in the previous post.  Most of the children are named although Colin Mycock who is hiding behind a girl in a hat, is not.

In the background can be seen three shopfronts. That on the left 114 Buxton Road was then a greengrocers, 116 in the middle was a doctors surgery and that on the right, a confectioner and baker.

FVschool.jpg
Hauxton  
#4 Posted : 07 December 2011 17:24:18(UTC)
Hauxton

Thanks to the wonders of Google I recently became aware of this wonderful forum and was astonished to see the picture in the first post on this thread. I have exactly the same picture in the same sort of frame, handed down from my grandfather Thomas Wilson. He’s the boy second to the left on the front row, born in 1881 at the Lodge, Fernilee and in the 1891 census living at 156 Horwich End. So I think this is Taxal & Fernilee C of E School in the early 1890s. The school leaving age then was around 11-12 so I’ve assumed this was the leaving photo of the Sixth Grade pupils.
My photo has been cut slightly differently to fit the frame so I have one or two more broken panes of glass at the top and don’t get the legs of the front row. I can just make out a bit of the large type at the top of the poster to the right of the shot: HIGH PEAK
COUNTY OF D ...
My grandfather’s older brother Albert figures in the 1891 census as a ‘Pupil Teacher’ aged 15, I presume at this school, but not I think in this picture. My grandfather was the youngest of 8 siblings who all went to this school as far as I know.
parabuild  
#5 Posted : 07 December 2011 19:45:33(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Welcome to the Forum ,Hauxton and thank you for identifying the school and your grandfather. I'll pass the information to the present owner of the photo Francis Foottit. I don't know that she has a connection with any of the children but I know that she will be very interested..

MarthaSamson  
#6 Posted : 12 January 2012 07:52:56(UTC)
MarthaSamson

Woman
United States

I wonder if one the students is my great aunt, Annie Lavinia Collier, born in 1881. I guess it would depend on when the picture was taken, as the family immigrated to the USA in 1893.