logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
moogie  
#1 Posted : 25 January 2012 12:45:44(UTC)
moogie

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)

Hi

After another recent wander up the Churn and Quarry, I just wondered if there was a thread on this in the past , I would like to know a bit more about it, and any history and Pictures etc.

Always makes me smile as some of the stone work up there seems like everyone left in a hurry!...

And whats the deal with it now....who owns it etc.....

Many thanks...looking forward to great answers as per most of the threads on here...

Capital-of-the-Peak  
#2 Posted : 25 January 2012 16:20:13(UTC)
Capital-of-the-Peak

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I , too,  was fascinated by the site after a walk from Chinley.

A Google search revealed that stone was not only quarried, but also mined.

A couple of interesting links

http://www.mine-explorer.co.uk/mines/Cracken-edge_1673/Cracken-edge.asp

and

http://nwex.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3754

but nothing about dates, ownership, customers etc.

G. Jackson  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2012 18:12:58(UTC)
G. Jackson

The second link given above by Capital of the Peak has a link to Tarboat.!!!!!!!   BEWARE OF WELSH PEOPLE

shallcross  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2012 21:31:15(UTC)
shallcross

Moogie

I do have some photos of when Craken Quarry was working, including the rope drum intact but its not really Whaley or even Bugsworth so maybe I shouldn't post them, how far from the forum core should we go? 

Shallcross
moogie  
#5 Posted : 26 January 2012 11:27:57(UTC)
moogie

shallcross wrote:

Moogie

I do have some photos of when Craken Quarry was working, including the rope drum intact but its not really Whaley or even Bugsworth so maybe I shouldn't post them, how far from the forum core should we go? 

I did think that when posted......but as its local....and you can see the churn from whaley village.....im sure its quite relevant. plus im sure prospective visitors to the area pop on the forum...so a nice walk from whaley to the Edge and back has been done many times.

would love to see the pictures tho...if no one has any objection to the thread continuing.

moogie  
#6 Posted : 26 January 2012 11:30:12(UTC)
moogie

Capital-of-the-Peak wrote:

I , too,  was fascinated by the site after a walk from Chinley.

A Google search revealed that stone was not only quarried, but also mined.

A couple of interesting links

http://www.mine-explorer.co.uk/mines/Cracken-edge_1673/Cracken-edge.asp

and

http://nwex.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3754

but nothing about dates, ownership, customers etc.

many thanks......i never knew of the mine.....altho i used to do a bit of caving  round the alderly edge copper mines and pot holing....many moons ago....i may pop my head in ...but thats as far as it goes these days!

moogie  
#7 Posted : 26 January 2012 11:32:00(UTC)
moogie

Great link tho Tarboats pics are great!

cheers Cot P!

Whaley Ash  
#8 Posted : 27 January 2012 20:20:23(UTC)
Whaley Ash

Man

Hi, I've often wondered around Cracken Edge, and even though my main hobby is mine exploration, I've never actually ventured down there. However, I do know people who have, and not surprisingly given the geology (layered gritstone), they described it as 'hanging death', a self-explanatory caving/mining term! I've been in many dodgy places, but I'd be extra circumspect about going down here.

Anyway, there is a great photo of the main exit from the mine (a tunnel), which was right behind the drum house - it's in a small book on the history of Chinley. I can't remember the title unfortunately, but it was definitely still being sold in Chinley's shops just a few years back. The main tunnel was allegedly dynamited when the quarry closed, hence absolutely no trace of it today.

Ash
moogie  
#9 Posted : 31 January 2012 11:04:53(UTC)
moogie

yep love underground photography....a different world...

Mr Shallcross, any chance of a look at these pics....

WA....i will have a further mooch about in the library

tarboat  
#10 Posted : 31 January 2012 16:51:00(UTC)
tarboat

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

G. Jackson wrote:

The second link given above by Capital of the Peak has a link to Tarboat.!!!!!!!   BEWARE OF WELSH PEOPLE

I am not Welsh, neither am I the person you were thinking of! I am just a person with an interest in local, particularly industrial, history.

With regard to Cracken Edge Quarries, I have looked for further information without success and would be delighted to see any photos that forum members might be able to turn up.

Cheers,

Tarboat himself

shallcross  
#11 Posted : 31 January 2012 17:47:13(UTC)
shallcross

OK then but if Whaley people complain !!!!!

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Craken Quarry.jpg
Shallcross
tarboat  
#12 Posted : 31 January 2012 18:51:49(UTC)
tarboat

That's a superb image. Thanks for posting.

moogie  
#13 Posted : 01 February 2012 11:21:42(UTC)
moogie

Love that pic....real characters....that was the first question in my mind when you go up the edge in bad weather.....who on earth could withstand working up there very exposed for a quarry.

Do you have any pointers for further info on the quarry....

Also i was looking on google maps over the summit and came across a very stange circle in the ground....its on the back side of the churn near the existin quarry off overhill road....

if i didnt know better i would think it was a stone circle....barrow or somthing...take alook ....you cant miss it...

i have never seen such a thing...so got me wondering!

moogie  
#14 Posted : 01 February 2012 11:24:55(UTC)
moogie

pic as mentioned

moogie attached the following image(s):
overhill.JPG
churn ring.JPG
parabuild  
#15 Posted : 01 February 2012 11:39:11(UTC)
parabuild

Man

You will see a lot of circles over towards Beard Moor and Ollerset Moor if you look on Google. These were usually horse gins connected with mining activity.  This one of Moogie's looks too large for that.

Green_Gentleman  
#16 Posted : 01 February 2012 11:56:48(UTC)
Green_Gentleman

Ordonance Survey has this feature as a 'lake' so it could just be dried reeds we are looking at give the image looks like it was taken in mid-summer or spring at the earliest. Conveniently however there is a path which crosses near the feature, aswell as an airshaft to it's left so I may go take a wander when the weather warms up a little more. I would assume the 'trial holes' close to the summit of Chinley Churn are associated air shafts in relation to the mines which have now collapsed?

Green_Gentleman  
#17 Posted : 01 February 2012 13:31:44(UTC)
Green_Gentleman

Just as I suspected, it looks to be more the features of a barrow than anything remaining of more modern mining history. Now destroyed it may be worth taking a look at the remains simply for historical archival references, if anything the importance of the site given it's location on the hillside.

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=28880

buggyite  
#18 Posted : 01 February 2012 16:23:47(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

A few dry, boring facts about Cracken Edge Quarry:

It was noted for the production of paving stones and roofing slates, and remained open until about 1930

Quite a lot of the output was despatched by train from the goods yard at Chinley, with a first peak in the 1890s when about 16,000 tons per year went via train, declined slowly after then, but there was a brief second peak in 1929 of 11,000 tons for that year.

With regard to the circular feature behind what was Swindells quarry off Oven Hill Road/Over Hill Road, I would say that it is the remains of a pond that may have been used to supply water for the winding engine at the pit that was fairly close by.

I have often wondered about why Oven Hill at Birch Vale becomes Over Hill at the Bugsworth end - was it a spelling mistake, that has just "stuck"? 

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
tarboat  
#19 Posted : 01 February 2012 17:41:22(UTC)
tarboat

Green_Gentleman wrote:
I would assume the 'trial holes' close to the summit of Chinley Churn are associated air shafts in relation to the mines which have now collapsed?

The use of the term 'trial holes' by the Ordnance Survey covers a multitude of possible explanations. It means that they didn't know what they were and so the surveyor guessed. Those on Chinley Churn are the remains of shafts accessing relatively shallow coal workings and many have the remains of gin circles associated with them. They probably date mainly from the 18th century, although there may be some remains of earlier workings. A good source of details about this early mining is: The Coal Mines Of New Mills by Derek Brumhead, which was published in The Derbyshire Archaeological Journal, Volume 123, 2003, pp146-194., and also as a monograph. This should not be confused with Derek's earlier work of the same name published by the New Mills Local History Society in 1987.

tarboat  
#20 Posted : 01 February 2012 17:51:27(UTC)
tarboat

An odd thing about the Cracken Edge incline and winding drum is that I cannot find it shown on any Ordnance Survey map, either when it was working, or after closure when the earthworks and structure are still very obvious on the ground. It is as if the OS completely ignored it. I suspect that their field revision in a rural area such as this has been cursory or even non-existent. This is a great pity as it would have been useful to be able to see the ground layout of the incline and associated tracks.