logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JonG  
#1 Posted : 24 January 2012 15:22:49(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi,

Does anyone have any old pictures of the Shallcorss incline , and some history. We want to put two information boards at the bottom and top of the newly opened Shallcross Incline path, and would like pictures, text to put on it.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Horwich Ender  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2012 21:09:41(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good evening Chairman Jon.

I am delighted that the Shallcross Incline Greenway is now open for all of us to use and enjoy.

Other councillors for many years have tried to get this important piece of Horwich End's history open but have been unsuccessful.

I don't think it's a coincidence that in your first year of leadership this footpath is now in use and I must thank you for the tremendous work you are doing on behalf of Whaley Bridge.

Unfortunately I don't have any old pictures of the incline but I know a couple of forum members who probably do.

Over to you R. S-S and Shallcross.

shallcross  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2012 21:47:34(UTC)
shallcross

Jon

What do you want to include exactly, there are already photos on other threads of Shallcross goods yard and one of Bennett and Jackson at the Meverill with the Incline in the background, photographs of the Incline are rare in fact I have never seen a close up one with rails,  mainly i suspect because that part of the line was dissused so early and much of the photography didnt come till later, it is possible that there are some images out there maybe RSS has something, I have some more pictures taken in Shallcross Goods Yard, Horwich End Supply Co, some of before during and after the life of the Gas works, Bennet & Jackson and Kenfab and one of the gravity trucks working on the incline from Brickbarn Pit but nothing of the Incline itself.

Shallcross
Yorkie  
#4 Posted : 26 January 2012 09:34:53(UTC)
Yorkie

There is a publication "Railways of the High Peak" Whaley Bridge to Friden,which has a picture of the incline circa 1952 shortly before the lines were removed

hope this is of help

buggyite  
#5 Posted : 26 January 2012 09:48:40(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Yorkie,

The photos taken circa 1952 are of the Whaley Incline, rather than the Shallcross one.

Like Mr. Shallcross, I have never seen any photos of Shallcross incline in use before its abandonment in 1892, although I think some of the photos taken in Shallcross goods were taken before then. Similarly, I am sure I have never seen any photos of trains on the Shallcross Top to Bunsall Bottom section, but I think there is a photograph of a "Crewe Goods" loco on the Bunsall Top to Ladmanlow section in existence.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2012 15:15:38(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I am afraid that, like Shallcross, I too have little on the Shallcross Incline.

I have quite a few of the goods yard and one of the wagons on the Ladmanlow section but I can’t find anything on the Incline in question.

This is not to say there aren’t any but if there are I would certainly like to see them.

R. S-S
JonG  
#7 Posted : 28 January 2012 18:43:13(UTC)
JonG

Hi,

Just to set the record strainght for HE, whilst I, along with the rest of the Council,  have fully supported the project to open up the Shallcross incline, and am delighted that is has been successful, it is purely cooincidental that it has finally happened during my year as Chair.  The hard work has been done by Councillor John Swift, who started to tackle this project during his year as Chair in 2010, and who continued it last year. He has kept it all going and sorted out the myriads of issues that needed to be dealt with. The groundworks were then managed by Wayne Bexton at DCC. It is John Swift we all need to thank for bringing the project to fruition. This particular project has taken over 40 years. There are letters from 1972 in the Mechanics Institute where the idea is first discussed and enquiries are being made of the various parties. It can take a long time to get some of these projects to happen!

I've had quite a bit of feedback on the incline since it opened , and all of it has been very positive. A lot of people are using it. It's great ,as in joining up with  the Whaley incline, it forms a peaceful artery through the centre of Whaley Bridge. The hope is that we can extend it further in the future.

Many thanks to all for the various comments about the shallcross incline below. What we are after are any pictures, engravings or interesting bits of text or information that we can put on the information boards. We plan on two boards, one at the top and one at the bottom, and would like to have different text/pictures on each. The town clerk is trying to put something together at the moment, and has several books to reference, but there aren't any pictures we can use. The board at the bottom end might be a good place to put a picture of the goods yard, but at the top end a picture, or reproduction of a sketch/painting would be great. As you say, the line was disused before photography took off, so pictures may not be around. It would be great though if we could find something.

My own project this year has been raising the money to resurface the Whaley Bridge MUGA with an artificial grass surface (3G).   I have now successfully managed to raise all the funding to get the project going, and work should start on the £155,000 project in the next couple of weeks. This project has taken me just under 3 years to bring to fruition.

The skate park and BMX track have attracted nearly £140,000 of funding and are being built at the moment, and the seperate £230,000 of capital expenditure on the memorial park, as part of the successful £478,000 Heritage Lottery Fund bid, should start to be spent this year too. The HLF bid took around 3 to 4 years from the initial talks about it at HPBC until it actually was successful.

A very large sum of money is also being spent on Whaley Bridge Station at the moment , thanks to the efforts of Cllr Anne Winter and Cllr John Pritchard, who have been busy in their contacts with Network Rail via the Council and through the Friends of Whaley Bridge Station. The Council have been trying for years to get the station platform height increased, and it is finally happening. The waiting room has also been renovated, and the pedestrian bridge over the railway is also going to have the same treatment. It is possible it will be taken away on a large lorry for renovation, so dont assume it's metal thieves if you wake up one day and notice it has gone :)

It's looking like a good year for Whaley Bridge.

Cheers

Jon.

buggyite  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2012 11:24:52(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Jon,

I hope you have been able to use Picture 24 from the "trains" section in the Photo Album.

You can see the cable for the incline on this photo, which appears to be usable , so presumably this must have been taken before 26 June 1892 when the incline was abandoned. 

This photo appears in J M Bentley and N. Jones's book "Railways of the High Peak - Whaley Bridge to Friden", and in Mike Bentley's caption he ends by saying "what a pity that those unknown photographers did not take more views on the same day - or perhaps they did and they have been lost over the years".  I know Mike Bentley, and if he doesn't have any photos of the incline, then I don't think anyone else will.

Just in case you haven't got this information - Shallcross Incline was 817 yards long at a gradient of 1 in 10¼, so is much longer than the 180 yard Whaley Incline. Hopefully, the information board at the top of the incline points out where the winding engine house was located.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
JonG  
#9 Posted : 31 January 2012 15:43:48(UTC)
JonG

Hi Buggyite,

Many thanks. Would it be possible for you to have a conversation with Stephanie Raybould, the Town Clerk, who is putting together the text for the board. If so could you contact her on 01663 733068 or whaleybridgetowncouncil@supanet.com .

The same applies toanyone else who might be able to help her put the board details together. We may also want to use the pictures 21 and 24. Are the posters of these pictures happy for us to do this?

Cheers

Jon.

peter  
#10 Posted : 31 January 2012 20:47:30(UTC)
peter

Shallcross incline opened 6th July 1831 and closed on 27th June 1892 thats 120 years ago this year. The 3 inclines in the Goyt valley (Whaley Bridge, Shallcross and Bunsall) raised the line from 517ft above sea level at Whaley Bridge to 1,264ft at Ladmanlow, after that it was either level or downhill all way to Cromford at 277ft above sea level. A winding house similar to that which pulled the wagons up Shallcross can be seen at Middleton, one of 4 inclines on the way down to Cromford. 

Horwich Ender  
#11 Posted : 03 February 2012 17:25:23(UTC)
Horwich Ender

It would appear that it is purely coincidental that the following have all happened in Chairman Jon The Whaley One's year as leader of the Town Council:

The Shallcross Incline Greenway is opened.

The MUGA is resurfaced.

A new Skate Park and BMX track are built.

The Train Station platforms are replaced and the gap removed.

The footpath across the cow field from Reservoir Road to Whaley Lane is officially opened.

The Memorial Park is to undergo significant improvement.

Not only is Chairman Jon a great leader, motivator and organiser he is also modest too.

If anyone deserves a second year in office it has to be Chairman Jon