logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tim123  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2011 16:11:15(UTC)
tim123

Groups: Member

I'm researching family history and Edmund LACEY is shown as Manager Of Colliery And Iron Works in 1861 at Whaley Bridge. Does anyone know which colliery this was ?
There is also an early photo of the Cottage, Whaley Bridge (attached) which the family left in 1863... anybody recognise ?

Thanks
Tim Lunt
File Attachment(s):
whaleybridgecottage.jpg (1,049kb) downloaded 148 time(s).
shallcross  
#2 Posted : 08 November 2011 21:06:17(UTC)
shallcross

Hi Tim

I would say that the photo you have posted is a very early Photo of Throstledale I have posted a photo of Throstledale around the 1920s for you to compare, as you will note things have altered with the building of the much larger Edwardian house adjoining but the old Farmhouse in your photo I am sure is Throstledale, interestingly it looks in need of some TLC with two different window styles and a sag in the roof, the windows with the small panes are typical of early cottages in the area.

Thank you for posting an early Image if you have any more that you think may be Whaley Bridge or the surrounding area we would love to see them.

As for thr mine one of our forum coal experts will I am sure come up with an answer for you although he was only manager for a very short time and we did have a number of mines Gisbourne Pit at the bottom of The Bings is the nearest to Throstledale or Boothmans although I am not sure if that was still working in 1861

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Throstledale.jpg
Shallcross
G. Jackson  
#3 Posted : 08 November 2011 23:09:09(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Shallcross,

I think you may me wrong in saying it is Throsledale. The lintels above the windows do not match. Is it not a small house at the bottom of Elnor Lane?????

shallcross  
#4 Posted : 09 November 2011 09:38:03(UTC)
shallcross

Morning GJ

I take your point about the Lintels but look at the overall building It has an off set front door the chimneys are the same, there is a building attached to the left and there is a tree to the right there is probably around 40 years between the photos and due to the amount of construction work carried out at Throstledale I would suggest that when new windows were fitted for some reason they changed the Lintels, unusual I know but I also had a look this morning at the 1861 census and it gives Edmund Lacy (colliery manager) his wife 5 children and a houskeeper living at Throstledale, (ref Chapel en le frith district 9) the houses you refer to on Elnor Lane (Shallcross Cottages) have different  chimneys and doors etc

Shallcross
tim123  
#5 Posted : 09 November 2011 10:22:39(UTC)
tim123

Many thanks for all this. I'd thought Throstledale was a place, rather than a house. It seems to have had a complete makeover in the 1920's as the end wall has also been changed somewhat.
I just googled Throstledale and it comes up on New Horwich Rd but the houses to be seen from streetview look more recent...so has it been demolished ?
I attach 2 other photos that I have, dated 1862, one of Mrs Mary Lacey and Bepps the dog, the other of 3 daughters (l-r) Eleanor, Gertrude and Florence in a garden (presumably at Throstledale). Sadly I have no image of Edmund himself !
File Attachment(s):
Mary Lacey.jpg (523kb) downloaded 67 time(s).
Eleanor, Gertrude and Florence Lacey.jpg (552kb) downloaded 63 time(s).
G. Jackson  
#6 Posted : 09 November 2011 11:26:46(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Shallcross,

If I had a hat on I would doff it to you. Well done!!

J.G.

Gnatalee  
#7 Posted : 09 November 2011 17:13:22(UTC)
Gnatalee

Tim123 - fantastic photos of the Lacey family - very clear. Thank you for posting them. 

Gnats

Edited by user 09 November 2011 17:14:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 10 November 2011 15:48:14(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Mr Jackson,

I have a suspicion that you think of yourself as something of an historian when it comes to Whaley Bridge.

Just how you can mix up the cottage at Throstledale with Shallcross Mill Cottage I have no idea.

I presume that you were in fact referring to Shallcross Mill Cottage although the name of that residence seems to have escaped you.

So just for comparison purposes I will let you see a photo of the cottage that you describe as “a small house at the bottom of Elnor Lane?????”.

You will see they are nothing like each other.

R. S-S

Horwich Ender  
#9 Posted : 11 November 2011 17:15:30(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Is Mad Jacko attempting to impersonate the Chairman of the Town Council?

I think it's appropriate to remind him what a serious offence this is.

G. Jackson wrote:

Dear Shallcross,

If I had a hat on I would doff it to you. Well done!!

J.G.

G. Jackson  
#10 Posted : 11 November 2011 17:32:58(UTC)
G. Jackson

"Infamy, infamy etc. etc"  ( as per Carry-on film)

F.M.Worsley  
#11 Posted : 09 January 2012 00:07:43(UTC)
F.M.Worsley

Regarding Throstledale, the very early photo is fascinating and shows the house before the late Victorian extension.  It is believed that the occupants who built the large extension (not a separate house) intended to build a matching extension and demolish the old cottage. This didn't happen, it is said, because they had a very large family and funds ran out. Probably at the same time as the extension was built, the front door in the centre was altered to a window, and the door moved round the side of the house, as seen in the 1920s photo. A schoolroom was also built at the back of the house. The extension was demolished in the mid 1980s, so the house now looks more like the old picture, but without the whitewash!  The house has been in the  same family since 1948.

dogwalker4  
#12 Posted : 05 February 2012 09:58:10(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Re Post # 5

dogwalker4 attached the following image(s):
Mary.jpg
ellanor.jpg